World Naval Ships Forums  
VIEW ALL OF OUR CURRENT SPECIAL OFFERS HERE!

Go Back   World Naval Ships Forums > Naval History > Royal Navy Ships and Crews
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Royal Navy Ships and Crews Topics relating to a specific Royal Navy ship or ships

View Poll Results: Which colour scheme would you prefer?
Dazzle paint 51 22.67%
Standard pussers grey 174 77.33%
Voters: 225. You may not vote on this poll

Old 17-06-2010, 15:57
Admiral

Default Re: HMS Belfast

thanks Jack, computer imagery def on the menu, take a look at the little film we put together to support the appeal a couple of years ago, i still have some copies but this one was put on the web by one of the embassy guards in the British Embassy in moscow who was covering the reception we had there to launch to project. Actually the materials all came from the efforts and skill of others who gave permission to use them so my litle team in moscow reassembled all the raw materials and did the voiceover in 3 sleepless days and nights to have it done in time.
This time we have more lead-time so i hope can do better.
tim
http://mft39.multiply.com/video/item...ip_HMS_Belfast

this is on one of the other Belfast threads but twice is better than never; hopefully one of the kindly moderators will combine them into one super-thread about Belfast.
Old 17-06-2010, 16:24
Admiral

I have moved seven threads associated with HMS Belfast to here.

It is a good idea to do a search before starting a new thread. Not only does it keep everything together, It may contain information that the researcher is looking for without going through many threads.

qprdave
Old 17-06-2010, 17:00
Forum Moderator

Thanks Dave - I would like to underline how important it is to check in our search facility to prevent all of this unnecessary duplication of threads.

HMS BADSWORTH [HUNT CLASS DESTROYER]
Old 18-06-2010, 05:32
Admiral

For Alan Benn; dear Alan, you posted a splendid pic of Belfast, stern 3/4 view, poss entering Plymouth? can you poss tell me the date of the shot and who owns the copyright to it?
many thanks
tim

And very many thanks to the mods for combining the treads, all you say is 100% agreed with, i did do a search before posting and added to one of them but it was clear from that that it was time for some sewing with all these threads!
Old 18-06-2010, 21:52
Forum moderator

Tim, I'm not aware of any copyright on this photo, it is the 1st photo of Belfast in my collection so it was originally from my Dad's album, no date on it but it wouldn't be any later than 1963, he left the service that year.

Regards
Alan

Dad 1956

http://alansshipsbadges.webs.com
Old 23-07-2010, 05:13
Admiral

Dear All,
Here is apic taken 2 days ago of the mighty barkee with the scaffolding going up apace round the foremast; this is to enable the engineeers to remove as much as poss of the mountings and fittings to be cleaned up ready for refitting to the new masts. The new masts are waiting shipment in St. Petersburg and will come over in September after the busy holiday period. The work will be carried out immediately by the Russian builders working with British engineers and heavy lifting equipment. As soon as we have the programme finalised for the dedication event, late october, i will post it.
all best
tim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg belfast prepares for new masts 003.jpg (53.0 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg belfast prepares for new masts 001.jpg (229.2 KB, 51 views)

Last edited by Dreadnought : 09-09-2010 at 13:48. Reason: changed image to thumbnail
Old 23-07-2010, 18:07
Forum Moderator

Thanks for the update Tim!

HMS BADSWORTH [HUNT CLASS DESTROYER]
Old 25-07-2010, 16:20
Vice-Admiral

Post Re: HMS Belfast

Tim,

Excellent coverage! Thanks for the update's on the HMS Belfast. A fine ship that deserve's the coverage and support of all!

Well Done!

Regards
Charles
Old 25-07-2010, 16:48
Admiral

Tim,

It still seems strange that the new masts for Belfast should be built by Russians. It only bears out a comment I made on another thread where the Royal Carribbean Line was asked why their ships were built in Italian Yards - the reply being because British Yards don't have the expertise any longer. A sad reflection I thought, on a nation which built the finest ships in the world.

But I guess there is a link if only the Russian Convoys.

Dave H
Old 26-07-2010, 05:14
Admiral

The link was mainly financial, there was absolutely no enthusiasm from British (or any other) donors when we concieved the plan to ask the Russians. At the time of the original plan the Russian steel industry was going great guns and making money hand over fist so we thought in recognition of the sterling services provided to Arctic Convoys between 1942-4 and her role in opening the shooting at the dawn of the second front (D-day) we asked them if they might like to participate. The symbolism was to use Russian steel, Russian engineers and a Russian yard and then deliver the masts in a "reverse convoy" to London. The plan evolved over time and now the Presidential administration has backed the idea, the masts have been built exactly to plan and will be brought over in September this year. There is no doubt that they could technically have been built by a British yard, its just that the Russians were more interested, more sympathetic and ready to do it without equivocation for which we should all be hugely grateful, we have had nothing but enthusiasm from them and a real "can do" approach.
I will keep you posted as things go forward, we will try to take lots of pics of the actual work ones it gets underway,
tim
Old 26-07-2010, 09:02
Vice Commodore

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanandbren View Post
Alan, have to agree on this one, is she going into Guz? I think our cruisers were the finest warships in the world, they were absoloutly beautiful
She is about to berth at Garden Island, Sydney, Australia. I would say by the skyline in the background that it would be her visit around 1959-60. I visited her and took some nice shots. Unfortunately the rotten Dockyard Police confiscated my film when I took the camera into the base. Must have thought I was 15 year old Russian spy.

Stupid thing was you could go for joy flights over the area and take as many photos as you liked!

Cheers
Bruce
Old 26-07-2010, 09:16
Admiral

Tim,

GM. Thank you for clarifying the situation form me. Now explained it seems a good project and further cements, or rather, welds her connection to Russia.
The return convoy idea is great. Look forward to any pics.

Regards

Dave H

p.s. TT's boys are always inquisitive, as was TT. [TT Lewin was Tim's father - Officer and Gentleman but above all the Matelot's Officer, whether in Ship Command or Flag Rank]

Last edited by tonclass : 26-07-2010 at 14:28. Reason: Clarify TT
Old 26-07-2010, 12:03
Rear-Admiral

Hi Tim , having read your post on H.M.S BELFAST receiving her new masts.

I should gather they will require a huge floating crane to get the job done, or is it going to be a big boys meccano set .
It will be very intresting, but first they will have to remove all the rusty bits .

cylla

Jim
Old 26-07-2010, 12:24
Admiral

Dear Dave, they thought to put a C between the T's with me so i am TCT;

Scylla; With regard to the crane all this is in the hands of Houlders and Medtow the UK engineers who are providing the kit to do the job but the masts are not all that heavy, around 9-12 tonnes each, even complete but without all the ariels etc. Originally we thought they would be done in 12-15 foot sections but the yard has opted to make tham all of a piece and so we assume they wil do it in a single lift from barge to deck. I am not really in the engineering loop but will try to find out more as we go forward. I should add that much of the engineering side is being sponsored by Sovcomflot, the Russia cargo fleet altho i do not think they will do the delivery, ships too big, wrong routes and mostly wrong types. the delivery will most likely be one of the modern North Sea/baltic vessels with own gear, the sort that carry timber to the East coast.
Hopefully the sponsors will take advantage of the position ofthe barge and crane alongside facing the city and Tower to put their logos and names, this kind of sponsorship deserves all the publicity it can get.
tim
Old 27-07-2010, 00:45
Forum Moderator.

Tim: Thanks for the update on Belfast.

From this side of the world, I have to say that HMS Belfast is the only British ship I have seen -- she came to Pearl Harbor I believe in 1963 enroute home from the China Station to pay off one last time. I was 15 years old and camera-less, unfortunately. Of course with Her Majesty's cruiser in port, the USN could not be outdone, so I believe the USS St. Paul or Los Angeles was in port at the same time!

But Belfast has a spot in me heart as the only rep. of the Royal Navy I've ever been close to. (I saw many in Singapore in 1965, but from a distance. I have 16mm movies of them, but have never had the money to get them converted to videos.)

I find it very sad, and a commentary on the times that no British donors stepped forward. Tim, you deserve GREAT CREDIT for creating the circumstances by which the deal could be done with the Russians and to create such a great public accomplishment of the two countries, once again, working together to accomplish a common goal as in the dark days of WWII. Big lesson there for the public and politicians to think about, although the terms seem to be becoming an oxymoron today.

Congratulations go out to you for such a determined effort done with the style and verve not unlike that of your father.

I will also have some actual cash going out to you for those books as well -- as soon as Uncle Sam deigns to write me another paycheck!

Best wishes and Bravo Zulu, Tim!

"For a successful technology, reality has to take precedence over public relations, because nature cannot be fooled." (Richard Feynman)
Old 01-09-2010, 04:58
Admiral

Dear All,
Time for the next update; today work will begin formally on the dismantleing of the old rusty masts by a team of Russian engineers working with Medtow and Houlders. The Russians will live aboard during the work making them the most active ship's company in 40 some years! I am investigating the possibility of persuading a sponsor to put a fixed video camera in place on a vantage point across the river streaming real time pictures to the internet so everyone can appreciate the work as it progresses, i think the Museum is also considering the same thing. If we manage this i will let you know and post it here, as well as as many pics as i can take of "men at work"...
All best
tim
Old 05-09-2010, 20:35
Admiral

dear all, here is a pic of part of the rusty mast being removed; i plan to visit tomorrow and take more pics so hold hard and i will post them on tuesday.
tim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg belfast mast under removal.JPG (1.15 MB, 47 views)
Old 07-09-2010, 04:59
Admiral

Dear All,
I visited the ship yestersay had took a load of pics of which these are representative samples, if anyone wants more in higher def then please contact me by PM. The work is racing forward, already some 8 days ahead of schedule. The scaffolding is used as a working platform while the masts and equipment is removed in stages and then craned off for restoration in the case of the equipment and smelting into souvenirs for the mast metal (replica tompions was the plan). There are 12 Russian engineers from OPK yard in St. Petersburg plus the operating team from Houlders and Medtow, you can see Medtow's crane alongside and the dismembered sections of mast in the barge. Remarkably they are able to keep the ship open but restricted access only to the midships section of the upperdeck. At this rate they could be done well within September. There should now be a daily run of pics to keep you all in the frame, as it were, of progress..
watch this space!
tim
Old 07-09-2010, 09:52
Commodore

Thanks very much Tim for the 'work in progress' photos.

Regards
Jack.
Old 08-09-2010, 04:51
Admiral

Thanks Jack, i have agreed with the ship to post me a few pics daily, i dont commute any more, so will keep you all appraised of the progress as it goes forward. I investigated the possibility of positioning a fixed camera on the roof of the adjacent building to film the work and stream it to the net in real time but the price of a camera good enough to make it worthwhile was just too much. I have however sealed the deal on the making a a documentary on the project so will keep all member in the loop on this.
tim
Old 09-09-2010, 04:50
Admiral

there goes the last part of the foremast.
The director of the documentary film visited the ship yesterday to scope out and meet the director so will keep you posted on this aspect as well.
tim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mast project final part of foremast going.JPG (1.15 MB, 23 views)
Old 09-09-2010, 14:48
Admiral

here come the new masts, up the river and alongside; now tell me that's not the best sight in the world, short of a heat-haze above the funnels.
tim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg new mast arriving 1.JPG (228.0 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg new masts arriving 2.JPG (247.4 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg new masts arriving 3.JPG (224.4 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg new masts arriving 4.JPG (236.9 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg new masts arriving 5.JPG (221.7 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg new masts arriving 6.JPG (232.8 KB, 29 views)
Old 09-09-2010, 15:03
Forum Moderator

Great photos Tim, and very glad to see the work that is being undertaken. Whilst I understand and appreciate the Rusian connection, I am, along with others who have mentioned the same, very disappointed at the lack of British interest in sponsoring the work, and that the masts couldn't have been fabricated here in the UK. Quite extraordinary and baffling.

"Strive for perfection in everything you do. Take the best that exists and make it better. When it does not exist, design it." - Sir Henry Royce
Old 09-09-2010, 23:29
Admiral

Perhaps that is what happens when what is left of the British Steel Industry now belongs to Tata of India, and other overseas companies.

There are however plenty fabricators around the UK and it is dreadfull that they have not become involved.

Little h

GFXU - HMS Falmouth in Falmouth Bay
Old 10-09-2010, 05:04
Admiral

i hope things might change as awareness develops of how much benefit a firm can gain form participation in such projects but i am not surprised at all. When we did the malta memorial on Tower Hill, covered elsewhere on this site, i begged BAE Systems for help in casting bronze plaques with the engravings on them, this was suppposed to capture the symbolism of the fact that companies making up the group had built many of the ships and aircraft committed to the defence of Malta, there was almost no interest at all in doing this and in the end the small stone-mason company donated the black marble in memory of one of their partners father who served in Malta minesweepers during the siege. As it happened theis was actually a much better result as they give a fine contrast to the Malta limestone and no green dribbles! i think perhaps when you do this sort of thing you have to appeal to the personal relationship of the people in power to the event/outcome you are trying to accomplish and build on that. The Russians appreciate the memories of WW2 much more than we do, every family has a relative who was there and despite the stories of cold-shoulders shown to seamen in Kola they remain both hugely appreciative and fascinated by those times, an signally grateful to the sailors who took part.
tim

HMS Belfast During the Battle of North Cape by Randall Wilson

Under lowering arctic skies HMS Belfast (Admiral Burnets Flagship) leads HMS Sheffield and HMS Norfolk in the race to protect convoy JW55B from Scharnhorst.

All income from the sale of artwork through this site directly funds our naval history websites

Ship Search by Name : Advanced Search
Random Timeline Entry : 4th January 1960 : HMS Gambia : Arrived Port Louis Mauritius with aid after Cyclone