World Naval Ships Forums  
VIEW ALL OF OUR CURRENT SPECIAL OFFERS HERE!

Go Back   World Naval Ships Forums > Naval History > Royal Navy Ships and Crews
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Royal Navy Ships and Crews Topics relating to a specific Royal Navy ship or ships

View Poll Results: Which colour scheme would you prefer?
Dazzle paint 51 22.67%
Standard pussers grey 174 77.33%
Voters: 225. You may not vote on this poll

Old 15-12-2009, 10:32
Rear-Admiral

Default Re: HMS Belfast

By the by, the officer responsible for delivering HMS Belfast to her current berth near Tower Bridge was Lt Cdr Robbie Robinson MBE, RN, a dear old friend now deceased. He was a fascinating character and his DT obituary here is well worth reading.
Old 15-12-2009, 17:10
Forum Moderator

Nice to read his obit. He must have been a nice man.

Jim
Old 15-12-2009, 17:37
Admiral

the silver bell aboard HMS Belfast was presented to her when she was commissioned by the City of Belfast but then put into store when the war began, very shortly afterwards, and a standard pussers brass bell issued for war service. After war service the brass bell was replaced by the "Belfast" bell. If you look inside the rim you will find the names of the 54 childred who were christened aboard during her service. This silver bell was refurbished a couple of years ago and the names re-inscribed as was the lettering as years of elbow grease was wearing them away. I forget the excact weight of the silver but I think its in the region of 34 kilos, very heavy, you wouldn't run very far carrying it!
tim
Old 15-12-2009, 18:28
Vice-Admiral

Pardon my ignorance, but why would christenings take place on board RN ships? Is this a Navy tradition for serving seaman's children?

"To be ignorant of what occurred before you were born is to remain always a child. For what is the worth of human life unless it is woven into the life of our ancestors by the records of history?" - Cicero.
Old 15-12-2009, 18:44
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by emason View Post
Pardon my ignorance, but why would christenings take place on board RN ships? Is this a Navy tradition for serving seaman's children?
There is a long standing tradition of having christenings onboard, the ships bell inverted is used & the childs name engraved on the bell. My son was christened in Tiger, I don't know the origin of this tradition, but I expect someone will give an explanation.
Old 05-01-2010, 19:01
Vice-Admiral

Default Re: HMS Belfast video

I have just found this thread Tim and viewed the video - it worked fine. The contemporary footage of the Belfast and Scharnhorst was particularly interesting. I thought the Battle of the North Cape was covered well in the time available, simplified perhaps but all the essentials were there. Pity the second line of subtitles was clipped though.

How is the appeal going?

"To be ignorant of what occurred before you were born is to remain always a child. For what is the worth of human life unless it is woven into the life of our ancestors by the records of history?" - Cicero.
Old 05-01-2010, 20:10
Forum Moderator

Although the site says that the clip lasts for 13 minutes. It appeared to stop after 2 minutes. Some nice footage on view.

Jim
Old 05-01-2010, 20:13
Vice-Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbryce1437 View Post
Although the site says that the clip lasts for 13 minutes. It appeared to stop after 2 minutes. Some nice footage on view.
I noticed that it stops and starts again. Try again and wait a bit longer.

Old 05-01-2010, 21:09
Forum Moderator

Many thanks Bill, tried a couple of more times with AOL and it wouldnt run past two minutes. Managed to view it with Firefox though
Jim
Old 12-02-2010, 14:50
Leading Seaman

On the occasions Belfast has been moved to drydock for maintenance, has she been towed as essentially an inert object, or has she had manual / emergency stearing ?
Old 12-02-2010, 16:41
Vice Commodore

She was last moved over seven years ago when she was towed to Portsmouth for docking and painting. She has no power and therefore depended entirely upon the tow. I had an office onboard BELFAST at the time and we were moved ashore to Tooley Street for the period of the docking. It was quite impressive to see her being towed under Tower Bridge and then brought back.
Old 12-02-2010, 18:18
Forum Moderator

I know it is a ludicrous idea but I wonder what it would both take and cost to get her back to full working order??!!

HMS BADSWORTH [HUNT CLASS DESTROYER]
Old 12-02-2010, 20:16
Forum Moderator

Just wish she could be re-docked and that ridiculous paint-scheme removed. She looks awful dazzle-painted in her current build !!!!!!

------------------------------------
Walls of wood; Men of iron !!
Old 12-02-2010, 20:27
Admiral

Terry...........get her back in working order? Be cheaper to build a couple more aircraft carriers (large) I reckon!
Old 12-02-2010, 22:53
Forum Moderator

Probably right my friend!

Old 13-02-2010, 02:35
Forum Moderator.

I was wondering about that...who decided to put her in the Atlantic camo scheme Belfast is in? I think the decided to put the USS North Carolina in a camo scheme as well. All that does is cost more money for paint.

I liked the paint scheme Belfast had in her last visit to Pearl Harbor. That very light paint color made her the bell of the ball in harbor that week! Made the American gray even duller looking.

"For a successful technology, reality has to take precedence over public relations, because nature cannot be fooled." (Richard Feynman)
Old 13-02-2010, 02:49
Forum Moderator

We did as well Don.

Sadly the decision to paint her in "wartime dazzle" was probably a misguided attempt to make her more attractive to tourists!!

Old 13-02-2010, 04:32
Captain

Terry,
Bite me:P i like the color she has..
Nikki
The mighty beast is wounded, a Swordfish torpedoed the steering gear, with rudder's jammed..is his Achilles Heel with... K.G.5 and Rodney closing in for the kill". From "You Must Sink The Bismarck" on youtube..
Old 13-02-2010, 06:52
Chief Petty Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by astraltrader View Post
I know it is a ludicrous idea but I wonder what it would both take and cost to get her back to full working order??!!
That would be fantastic!
Old 14-02-2010, 06:24
Commander

Why not move HMS Belfast to the new RN museum?
Old 14-02-2010, 10:02
Crossed the Bar

Thumbs down Re: HMS Belfast

Hi Jackaroo.I think the RNA london would complain bitterly about that! Their branch uses the Wardroom for their meetings!!...Steve
Old 14-02-2010, 11:01
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve roberts View Post
Hi Jackaroo.I think the RNA london would complain bitterly about that! Their branch uses the Wardroom for their meetings!!...Steve
They can move somewhere else
Old 14-02-2010, 11:11
Admiral

But then Jackaroo they would have to shell out for the meeting place.

My sis's office is adjacent to her berth and she recently had lunch on board. Said it was a great tour but still couldn't see why her brothers spent years in grey boxes on rough waters. Girls !!! I ask yer

Invincible - You probably knew Scouse Hill [Ronnie - Ex Chief Sparker] who operated the RNARS station on board, usually over the Easter Weekends ??

Dave H
Old 24-02-2010, 20:53
Admiral

some of you might remember our long fought campaign, actually slightly longer that the real campaign, to bring the plight of Belfast's masts to the awareness ofr our Russian friends in recognition of her two years on the Artic convoys. Well, I am delighted to tell you that results are now a-coming. The Russian Government and big industry has heard our call and in swinging into action. This report from the Evening Standard will hopefully be the first of several culminating in the full job being accomplished. I shall keep you all closely informed and with pictures as the situation develops.
In the words of the Admiralty to Adm B.F. aboard Duke of York after hearing of the sinking of the Scharnhorst "Grand, well done"....

Which was followed by a signal from Adm. Fraser to "uncle Bob" aboard Belfast, "I'm off to Russia, follow me when you can"!!
tim
Attached Images
File Type: pdf HMS Belfast (2).pdf (323.0 KB, 62 views)
Old 24-02-2010, 21:02
Crossed the Bar

Thumbs up Re: HMS Belfast

Hi Tim.That's great news! No more than the grand old lady deserves...Regards Steve.

HMS Belfast During the Battle of North Cape by Randall Wilson

Under lowering arctic skies HMS Belfast (Admiral Burnets Flagship) leads HMS Sheffield and HMS Norfolk in the race to protect convoy JW55B from Scharnhorst.

All income from the sale of artwork through this site directly funds our naval history websites

Ship Search by Name : Advanced Search
Random Timeline Entry : 21st January 1933 : HMS Exeter : Sailed St. Vincent (C.V.I.) for Montevideo