World Naval Ships Forums  
VIEW ALL OF OUR CURRENT SPECIAL OFFERS HERE!

Go Back   World Naval Ships Forums > Naval History > Royal Navy Ships and Crews
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Royal Navy Ships and Crews Topics relating to a specific Royal Navy ship or ships

View Poll Results: Which colour scheme would you prefer?
Dazzle paint 51 22.67%
Standard pussers grey 174 77.33%
Voters: 225. You may not vote on this poll

Old 28-09-2010, 10:53
Forum Moderator

Default Re: HMS Belfast

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanbenn View Post
I have added a poll to the top of the page for members to put their preferred option.

Regards
Alan
Cheers Alan. Have cast my vote.

------------------------------------
Walls of wood; Men of iron !!
Old 28-09-2010, 12:11
Admiral

Exclamation Re: HMS Belfast

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonclass View Post
Cheers Alan. Have casted my vote.
Ditto ~ clever stuff
Old 28-09-2010, 12:36
Lieutenant-Commander

Have casted my vote as well..

Karen
Old 28-09-2010, 12:45
Admiral

Those shots added by Tim are fantastic; talk about a "time machine" (the early ones)! The ones before the storm have a very "moody" look to them due to the clouds; nice!

In my opinion she would look better without the camo; voted accordingly!

The sad story about the ship's cat and the neanderthal that killed her certainly makes a sad statement about our so called civilization...or lack thereof. In the Corps we had "methods" of handling cretins like that and they had little to do with the UCMJ (Uniform Code of Military Justice). However, they got the POINT over and job done. DFO
Old 28-09-2010, 13:33
Commander

In my opinion she would look better in pussers grey like I stated in an earlier post; voted accordingly!
Old 28-09-2010, 16:37
Admiral

SECOND THOUGHTS
Is HMS Belfast part of the I.W.M.? If so then dazzle is appropriate and correct. If not then I think she looks her best in pussers.
Old 28-09-2010, 16:38
Forum Moderator.

I"ve always preferred the wartime greys -- to me, camoflage, no matter what pattern or colors seemed to make money for paint companies and not do one much good at sea, although effective under certain "ideal" conditions.

I voted for the wartime grey!

"For a successful technology, reality has to take precedence over public relations, because nature cannot be fooled." (Richard Feynman)
Old 28-09-2010, 17:32
Admiral

THE STARBOARD SIDE
A couple of more fotos - possibly already posted?
Re the second anchor ~ 'suspended' ~ perhaps those that know would kindly explain the reason for this? It must have been quite an evolution?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BELFAST STBD 2.jpg (93.3 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg BELFAST STBD 3.jpg (120.0 KB, 105 views)
Old 28-09-2010, 19:16
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mousey View Post
THE STARBOARD SIDE
Re the second anchor ~ 'suspended' ~ perhaps those that know would kindly explain the reason for this? It must have been quite an evolution?
Hi ya,

Great photos.

Thanks.

Hugh Williams
Old 28-09-2010, 21:30
Rear-Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mousey View Post
THE STARBOARD SIDE
See the Catting the Anchor thread. Essentially, this was done to allow the cable to be parted at the first half-shackle so it could be lowered through the hawse and secured to a buoy.

Rob
www.mcdoa.org.uk

Old 29-09-2010, 08:12
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Hoole View Post
See the Catting the Anchor thread. Essentially, this was done to allow the cable to be parted at the first half-shackle so it could be lowered through the hawse and secured to a buoy.
Many thanks Rob. As soon as I saw the word catt the anchor relationship came back ~ vaguely. That thread is really worth reading. Full of interesting information.
Old 29-09-2010, 13:24
Rear-Admiral

I have been catching up on this thread, [being a old ship that i was on]and seeing those new mast,s that she has erected , they really do look smart.
It is a pity that those two radar Ariel's ,if they could turn ,say by a electric motor when the ship is open to visitors,in stead of looking so static,it could create some atmosphere to her looks.Not being of the R.P branch i wont get technical.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg foremast%20arials%20close-up.JPG (258.4 KB, 28 views)

Jim
Old 29-09-2010, 20:09
Admiral

THAT IS IN THE PLANS! UNFORTUNATELY EVERYTHING HAS A PRICE.
sorry, forgot to cxl caps lock.
We planned a few years ago to find a sponsor who might pay for this but it is not as easy as just putting the plug in, the motors are all antique high voltage DC and so it would mean stripping out all the ancient giblets and installing modern components to the old casings. We had the idea to do this and to join the moving bits to refurbished display screens for an education programme. Maybe later!

Meanwhile; URGENT APPEAL, especially for Doug Birch and anyone else.
I am writing the souvenir book/programme to go with the event on the 10th october. I want to include a section on a "Tribute to the White Berets"...this will be quotes from a handful of those who were there. Doug can you pen something for me on your experience? an anecdote or memory that sticks in your mind, i would be very grateful.

I shall be glad when its all over and i can enjoy a tot.
tim
Old 29-09-2010, 20:17
Admiral

Dear All, i just posted this in a PM but then thought it might have a wider appeal.
Lots of you like model-making and several have asked about detail of HMSB.
There is an exceptionally useful book with detailed drawings of every nook & cranny of Belfast called;

"Anatomy of a ship, HMS Belfast" published by Conway Maritime Press, price approx 15 quid,

There you go, ever helpful!
Old 30-09-2010, 20:02
Forum Moderator

Latest score: Pussers Grey 21 v 3 Dazzle Delight

Old 01-10-2010, 02:09
Forum Moderator

I voted for grey as well.

I wonder who preferred the camouflage??

HMS BADSWORTH [HUNT CLASS DESTROYER]
Old 01-10-2010, 02:29
Forum Moderator

Tim,

is this an indication as to how folk feel ?? Are you able to get things changed to appease the majority ????????? We want some Pussers Grey m8......

Old 01-10-2010, 03:26
Forum Moderator.

I've always preferred the wartime greys, so it wasn't ME, Terry!

I noted in the Pacific in WWII there were a huge variety of dazzle patterns for ships of all classes, but once the kamikaze started showing up with dismal regularity there was a real run on Measure 21, dark navy grey.

I've read a lot on the camoflage "science" in WWI and II, and the stuff you can find online and in books on all the varieties of markings and became convinced that dazzle patterns were effective under some circumstances against submarine observations and the rest just made enormous amounts of money for paint manufacturers when you get to the bottom line.

On the other hand, the patterns developed for American subs in the Pacific seemed to be really effective at reducing their observability at night and poor weather conditions, making surface operations a bit safer. But these colors were not "dazzle" patterns, they were greys and blacks, with some white for the limber holes. Many sub commanders commented on the effectiveness of this pattern.

Belfast is nothing if not "colorful" in her dazzle pattern, but I'd still rather see that grim warhsip grey. Appears most of us do.

And a question for us uneducated Yanks...what is "pussers grey"? I know the rum, but how did the term get tacked to grey wartime paint?

"For a successful technology, reality has to take precedence over public relations, because nature cannot be fooled." (Richard Feynman)
Old 01-10-2010, 05:24
Admiral

Dear Don,
the term pusser originally derived from the purser (them as held the purse) and were therefore responsible for the supply of everything, and financial jiggery pokery for paying for it, it came to mean anything officially supplied, be it rum, paint, clothing etc. and as standards became part of life pussers ....became standardised to a specification. It also has another connotation which means right and proper, so if something is "pusser" it is done right. yesterday when we had our discussion and planning meeting for the grand hooley on the 19th for the Belfast we were talking about the arrangement of the RNA standards, piping the still, and all the RN0type details that make it all look right, i said this has got to be done absolutely pusser, to which all the old salts nodded sagely and agreed!
there you go.
tim
Old 01-10-2010, 06:35
Forum Moderator.

Thanks Tim. Learn something new here on the forum almost every day.

Old 03-10-2010, 13:30
Admiral

We have a unique opportunity to make a really singular souvenir of the project; we are arranging for a foundry to melt down some of the steel left from the old masts to cast them as 6" gun tampions which will be mounted on a block of symbolic oak approx A4 size with a stainless steel engraved plaque underneath. Somrthink like the attached. The run will be 1-100 and no more. The first dozen of so will go to the VVIPs on the ceremony on 19th October, the rest will be sold to raise additional funding for the continuing maintainance of the ship. You are my market research focus group, i estimate that a priice for these should be approx 70-00 including p&p to UK destination, what i really would appreciate is your opinion on this price as no noe has experience of doing this before. This is not an offer to sell, its just research but when the finished item is ready i will post pics again and if anyone wants to purchase i will tell you how to do it.
All thanks
tim
Attached Images
File Type: pdf BELFAST tampion mock up.pdf (74.9 KB, 36 views)
Old 04-10-2010, 05:22
Admiral

come on chaps, 18 of you have looked at the picture and no one has told me what they think the price should be! too much? too little? i really need your views, please!
Old 04-10-2010, 05:52
Commander

Tim, with what you have described and that there will be only 100 produced I suggest a price of $99.99. + p&p world wide and UK.
Old 04-10-2010, 07:14
Sub-Lieutenant

cast my vote, i think the dazzler paint job. personally i think all ships should have that sort of "camoflauge" style paint job
Old 04-10-2010, 07:49
Forum Moderator.

For me, $50 --- for everybody else $200.

OK, it was a nice try....

I think around $200 would do it! I'll let you do the conversion to pounds...

HMS Belfast During the Battle of North Cape by Randall Wilson

Under lowering arctic skies HMS Belfast (Admiral Burnets Flagship) leads HMS Sheffield and HMS Norfolk in the race to protect convoy JW55B from Scharnhorst.

All income from the sale of artwork through this site directly funds our naval history websites

Ship Search by Name : Advanced Search
Random Timeline Entry : 25th January 1933 : HMS London : Sailed Gavrion Bay