World Naval Ships Forums  
VIEW ALL OF OUR CURRENT SPECIAL OFFERS HERE!

Go Back   World Naval Ships Forums > Naval History > Royal Navy Ships and Crews
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Royal Navy Ships and Crews Topics relating to a specific Royal Navy ship or ships

Old 24-10-2016, 22:17
Rear-Admiral

Default Re: HMS Dreadnought SSBN - 2030? -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupert View Post
Indurance?

They have said they will go with historically resonant names:
Warspite?
Warrior?
Conqueror?
Collossus?
Iron Duke?
Agincourt?
Royal Sovereign?
Hood?

Each historically resonant in their own way. Though Hood may have too much negative history.
Lets face it the RN has plenty of historically significant names to pick from.
Though if they decide to follow a "dreadnought" type theme then they could perhaps go with
Conqueror
Invincible
Warrior
Who is "they" in the RN? Have we in the RAN inherited your system of having a names committee who then select names and put these to government? In most cases without political,interference although this has happened once in the case of HMAS Choules or do you have a different system?
Old 25-10-2016, 06:13
Rear-Admiral

Ships names and badges committee decide names. Whether there is any political interference I have no idea.

Essentially they pick from any previously used names (very wide choice) excluding those that have ever surrendered
Old 25-10-2016, 19:21
Vice Commodore

Whichever names may be proposed, all have to be approved by the Monarch.

So, Dreadnought she will be, which implies a new class whose names will begin with D. A uniform lead letter as has been the British custom. There are some good ones despite the 6 Type 45's. Here is my take...

Defiance - another old Trafalgar name with 14 battle honours.
Devastation - Does precisely what it says.
Diligence / Diligent - Not that different from Vigilant.
Defence - Again, a Trafalgar name, but not with Defiance and vice versa.
Delight - Old Armada name, sounds improbable, but would have the last laugh.
Dromedary - Oops. For those with their heads still in the sand whose acceptance of these new Bombers is jaundiced.
Old 26-10-2016, 21:23
Rear-Admiral

The implication of what has been said is that they will not go with a lead letter. As indeed they did not for the carriers. Or most surface ships until T45.

May be wrong. It will be interesting to see.

I must say I prefer the themes of county class, duke class etc
Old 26-10-2016, 22:04
Forum Moderator

Lots of examples post war too of no lead letter, ie Leander Class, Whitby/Rothesay Class, Cathedral Class.

Jim
Old 27-10-2016, 06:31
Sub-Lieutenant

In the nuclear age there has been an alphabetical progression in submarine classes, R class boomers, S and T class attack boats, U class diesels, V class boomers, and back to A class. D or Dreadnought class would seem to be the logical progression.
Old 28-10-2016, 07:38
Able Seaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetex61 View Post
In the nuclear age there has been an alphabetical progression in submarine classes, R class boomers, S and T class attack boats, U class diesels, V class boomers, and back to A class. D or Dreadnought class would seem to be the logical progression.
Valiant and Warspite weren't tied to the alphabet before they kicked off the letters with the Churchills (Churchill, Conqueror & Courageous).
Old 28-10-2016, 14:34
Rear-Admiral

All you ever wanted to know about the Dreadnought programme, and more.

https://www.gov.uk/government/collec...medium=twitter
Old 30-10-2016, 10:12
Captain

I hope the name HOOD will never again be used--not for reasons of negative history or "jinx", but out of pure honor and preservation of what the last ship so named, embodied in her time. Apologies for my clumsy wording, but I hope it gets my point across without offense!

I was VERY pleased to see Dreadnought chosen as the name for the new project, and am hopeful she will not suffer the political troubles Queen Elizabeth has endured so far.

--Dan
Old 30-10-2016, 14:12
Rear-Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNfanDan View Post
I hope the name HOOD will never again be used--not for reasons of negative history or "jinx", but out of pure honor and preservation of what the last ship so named, embodied in her time. Apologies for my clumsy wording, but I hope it gets my point across without offense!

I was VERY pleased to see Dreadnought chosen as the name for the new project, and am hopeful she will not suffer the political troubles Queen Elizabeth has endured so far.

--Dan
I think you can pretty well rest assured that the name 'Hood' will never again be used by the RN.
The blow to the Psyche, not only of the RN but to the British public as a whole was at the time immense. This iconic name is best left to be remembered as it should be, as a fine ship with a tragic ending.

Likewise other names that will not see the light of day again, but for different reasons, are the 'Battle' and 'Tribal' classes,amongst others. All fine ships but victims of the current political correctness that pervades our society.
Old 30-10-2016, 21:22
Ordinary Seaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetex61 View Post
Logical progression would have been B rather than jumping to D, surely? Gives a few options using historical names of capital ships: -
  • Benbow
  • Barham
  • Bellerophon
  • Barfleur
  • Black Prince

I still think the 'Dreadnought' Class will take four names considered historically significant that are not all starting with D. I just hope they don't use Ark Royal for popular reasons. Not saying it isn't a historically significant name, but in my mind it is now firmly associated with Aircraft Carriers.

I think despite my earlier preferences I think the naming committee will look at names with a historical significance but that also reflect the purpose of the SSBN fleet in terms of being a deterrent, so the following could be on the cards: -
  • Defiance
  • Fearless
  • Formidable
  • Indomitable
  • Invincible
  • Leviathan

Ultimately it will be interesting to see what they go with if they aren't going with all names starting with D.
Old 22-12-2016, 08:45
Rear-Admiral

New agency to oversee the programme :-

http://www.defensenews.com/articles/...s-construction
Old 22-12-2016, 14:04
Chief Petty Officer

I applaud the R.N. for naming ships with titles that have meaning. E.g., Defiance, Warrior, Victory etc.,etc.
Lately the R.C.N. has taken on the role of naming ships after individuals. Most who are meaningless to the general public so the ship then has a "ghost" image. Tongue in cheek comment; "Who is the HMCS HOMER SIMPSON?"
At one time we had MAGNIFICENT,BONAVENTURE, CRUSADER, CRESCENT. Then the Tribals; ALGONQUIN, MICMAC, IROQUOIS, NOOTKA, HAIDA all proud ships names. Then River Class; ST. LAURENT, RESTIGOUCHE etc. These names were identifiable to most Canadians. The forthcoming roster of names leaves me and many others bewilderd.
Lee Day,
HMCS CRUSADER amongst others..
Old 27-12-2016, 17:02
Lieutenant

They don't HAVE to begin with a D.

I'd go for...
DREADNOUGHT
CONQUEROR
WARSPITE
LION
Old 04-01-2017, 09:10
Lieutenant-Commander

Default Re: RN's new "boomers".........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Hutson View Post
I think I have posted this before on another thread.

Devonport has no trouble with the boats once they are in the Basin.

The biggest problem is with getting them from the Tamar into the Basin. This has to be planned very carefully taking into consideration Depth of Water , Density of Water , State of the Tide , Wind Direction and Force , and study of Rainfall in previous 24 hours [This can change the water density quite significantly]

This manouvre is carried out at High Water Slack Tide and the boat is turned thru' 90 degs for entry which is fairly short time slot and tight fit.

Initially the Captain's and Navigators of the boats went to the Dutch Handling Simulator in the Netherlands to train until conversant with the procedures. Whether this is still done I am not sure.

Dave H
Hi Dave,
What an interesting, thought provoking statement. Is this because of their draught? Looking back at perhaps the 'Good olde days' it makes me wonder how we managed to get those rather large proper aircraft carriers into and out of those tricky basins. Top marks for highlighting this issue.

Trident
Would it be possible to program\aim\launch a nuclear weapon from these boats without the blessing of the USA? Could they simply switch off the 'aids' required to use this ultimate armageddon type weapon? If thart is the case, then why have them? (question)

Three boats or four
Just been watching Forces News which featured a serving admiral who is concerned about recruitment and the lack of volunteers?? Will we be able to man all the platforms we will allegedly have? I am thinking in particular to the new carriers plus these new submarines.

Names for the new dreadnoughts
I am a huge fan of tradition and like the idea of the lead letter type classing but am I being hypocritical?? I served on a Centaur class ship, a County class, Leander class and just the CA class that took the effort to possibly rename ships to have them conform to those first TWO letters... CAvalier, CArysfort, CAssandra etc and yes there are a number of these types of two letter class but no, I like the idea of just the one letter.

Lion... I'm afraid whenever I think of that name, I instantly associate it with a cruiser (unlike the name Warspite?)

I just feel we need to keep alive the historical submarine names and if we can have a lead letter, then that would be purrfect

Oh and the drop in recruitment.. It was suggested these poor individuals would miss not having the ability to remain in direct contact with their loved ones... No ability to be able to regularly*** 'Skype' or text to ever Tom, Dick and Harry whenever the need takes them.

***I hate the term 24/7 but this is what was implied... Recruits allegedly want this ability rediculous.
Old 10-01-2017, 14:27
Rear-Admiral

Nice little earner :-

"Submarine delivery body CEO's position

The Daily Telegraph reports that the new CEO role for the Submarine Delivery Body will attract a £500,000 pay package.

A Ministry of Defence spokesperson said:

The 2015 Strategic Defence and Security Review set out our intention to strengthen arrangements for the procurement and in-service support of nuclear submarines by establishing a new Delivery Body. The CEO’s salary is benchmarked against similar roles in the public and private sector.
Old 10-01-2017, 15:24
Vice Commodore

Are there any images of the design? I've seen the one image on the surface but nothing more. I know they're supposed to be a bit bigger than the V boats.
Old 10-01-2017, 17:49
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinysheff View Post
Are there any images of the design? I've seen the one image on the surface but nothing more.......
So sorry Shinysheff, but can't resist.

The one on the surface you were meant to see - but if it is a good design - then, when dived nobody should 'see' them

Little h

GFXU - HMS Falmouth in Falmouth Bay
Old 10-01-2017, 18:17
Vice Commodore

Red face Re: HMS Dreadnought SSBN - 2030? -

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry.gibbon View Post
So sorry Shinysheff, but can't resist.

The one on the surface you were meant to see - but if it is a good design - then, when dived nobody should 'see' them

Little h
Walkyd into that one...
Old 11-01-2017, 00:22
Sub-Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinysheff View Post
Are there any images of the design? I've seen the one image on the surface but nothing more. I know they're supposed to be a bit bigger than the V boats.
The surface illustration appears to have only 12 launch tubes, but I thought we and the Americans were going to share a common 16 tube design?
Old 11-01-2017, 07:05
Admiral

No, what we are sharing is the "common missile compartment" - which is a pre-fabricated 4-tube block.

The RN's Dreadnought class will get 3 blocks each, and the USN's Columbia class will get 4 blocks each.

Here is a CMC under construction - I believe this was the test article, which won't be fitted in an actual sub, but is being used on land to verify the design, construction, etc.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Trident tube set.jpg (42.5 KB, 14 views)
Old 11-01-2017, 08:15
Vice Commodore

So four less tubes but a bigger boat. Lots more space and luxury to aid in crew morale and retention?
Old 11-01-2017, 12:44
Sub-Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBat242 View Post
No, what we are sharing is the "common missile compartment" - which is a pre-fabricated 4-tube block.

The RN's Dreadnought class will get 3 blocks each, and the USN's Columbia class will get 4 blocks each.

Here is a CMC under construction - I believe this was the test article, which won't be fitted in an actual sub, but is being used on land to verify the design, construction, etc.
I thought we had abandoned the idea of less tubes and we're still having 16?
Old 22-01-2017, 08:57
Rear-Admiral

Hundreds more skilled workers needed for the build :-
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education...pyfC1&plr=1#!/
Old 22-01-2017, 17:41
Vice Commodore

The article says that they will be as long as some of the tallest skyscrapers. Are they going to be 600m long? The image on the article shows 12 tubes.

Ship Search by Name : Advanced Search
Random Timeline Entry : 7th January 1944 : HMS Campbell : Lt. Cdr. E.C. Coats Assumed Relinquished Command