World Naval Ships Forums  
VIEW ALL OF OUR CURRENT SPECIAL OFFERS HERE!

Go Back   World Naval Ships Forums > Naval History > Royal Navy Ships and Crews
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Royal Navy Ships and Crews Topics relating to a specific Royal Navy ship or ships

Old 01-11-2017, 21:49
Admiral

Default Re: RN Destroyers: Later Daring Class - Type 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfgun View Post
The spare parts shortage is very extreme.
http://www.janes.com/article/75349/n...b-for-rn-fleet
Hope there are sufficient original 'tiles' in the stores to replace those that have gone missing (identified within the red outline) from the Dragon (D35) .... otherwise the Dauntless (D33) will look like she should be up the trot if she has to 'shed' tiles to replace them.

Attachment derived from a recent photo ref 271017 (6) posted by Daniel/gibdan in the Gibraltar thread (post #1114)

Little h
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ,HMS Dragon -271017 (6) photo #21 post #1114.jpg (307.2 KB, 72 views)

GFXU - HMS Falmouth in Falmouth Bay
Old 23-11-2017, 18:19
Rear-Admiral

Another sorry full story of our expensive ships . hits the print again ...http://www.savetheroyalnavy.org/type...lf-deployment/

– HMS Diamond breaks down on Gulf deployment

Jim
Old 23-11-2017, 18:22
Rear-Admiral

Diamond coming home ......
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HMS-Diamond-breaks-down-on-Gulf-deployment-1014x487.jpg (57.8 KB, 45 views)

Jim
Old 23-11-2017, 23:28
Rear-Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by CYLLA View Post
Another sorry full story of our expensive ships . hits the print again ...http://www.savetheroyalnavy.org/type...lf-deployment/

– HMS Diamond breaks down on Gulf deployment
They're certainly keeping the Dockyard workers busy so they are contributing to the economy
Old 05-12-2017, 14:07
Rear-Admiral

Parliamentary written answers 4th Dec :-

Asked by Sir Nicholas Soames
(Mid Sussex)
[N]
Asked on: 29 November 2017
Ministry of Defence
Type 45 Destroyers
To ask the Secretary of State for Defence, if he will bring forward the Power Improvement Package for the Type 45 Destroyer to 2018.
A
Answered by: Harriett Baldwin
Answered on: 04 December 2017

The competitive process for the Power Improvement Project was launched earlier this year and bids are being evaluated. The cost and the schedule for work on the Type 45 Destroyer's Power Improvement Project will be determined at the Main Gate investment decision point, which on current plans will be in early 2018.
Old 05-12-2017, 23:11
Admiral

Exclamation Re: RN Destroyers: Later Daring Class - Type 45

DARING DAUNTLESS DRAGON

Savetheroyalnavy.org added 3 new photos.
HMS Daring, Dauntless and Dragon in 3 Basin, Portsmouth today while HMS Diamond awaits dry docking to repair propellor shaft. HMS Defender has nearly completed major refit and HMS Duncan is at sea.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg D1.jpg (229.2 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg D2.jpg (291.4 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg D3.jpg (95.1 KB, 52 views)
Old 06-12-2017, 14:55
Commodore

Is there any information as to what the problem is with the shafting arrangements?
Old 06-12-2017, 16:04
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by phill rose View Post
Is there any information as to what the problem is with the shafting arrangements?
Various reports around 23rd November Phill none of which seem to give details of the exact problem altho some state prop shaft bearing.
See - http://www.newsfiber.com/p/s/h?v=E9%...JVepU%2FiM0%3D - for some of them.
Otherwise Google HMS Diamond prop shaft - propellar problem.
Old 06-12-2017, 19:46
Admiral

Quote:
Phill, it seems to me that there is no problem at all with the shafting arrangements .... the RN is being shafted good and proper - every which way that is conceivable

Little h

GFXU - HMS Falmouth in Falmouth Bay
Old 07-12-2017, 15:00
Commodore

I asked because there are a number of drydocks/repair ports in the area that could handle a shaft removal and repair so why bring her all the way home?

Harry
Right on, would appear the RN has been well shafted.

To quote Beatty, "There is something wrong with our bloody ships today".
Old 07-12-2017, 22:45
Admiral

Quote:
I asked because there are a number of drydocks/repair ports in the area that could handle a shaft removal and repair so why bring her all the way home?

Harry
Right on, would appear the RN has been well shafted.

To quote Beatty, "There is something wrong with our bloody ships today".
Sensitive equipment onboard?
Old 08-12-2017, 08:29
Sub-Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelican View Post
Sensitive equipment onboard?
Yes, in addition to the fact that the hull design will still be on the restricted list with only specifically approved divers allowed to even inspect her.
Old 09-12-2017, 00:03
Rear-Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack65 View Post
Yes, in addition to the fact that the hull design will still be on the restricted list with only specifically approved divers allowed to even inspect her.
There are many images of their underwater sections, including the sonar dome, on the net including this video which shows details of shafting and propellers, all of which seem very conventional so I'm confused over your supposition.

http://youtu.be/b_zMtORm5_U
Old 09-12-2017, 00:44
Sub-Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASSAIL View Post
There are many images of their underwater sections, including the sonar dome, on the net including this video which shows details of shafting and propellers, all of which seem very conventional so I'm confused over your supposition.

These are images taken from a distance which show the basic hull. When a new class of warship, surface or sub -surface enters service the hull is placed on a restricted list for a specified number of years after the lead vessel is commissioned . Only MOD security cleared divers are permitted to inspect the hull and images may only be captured on a very small number of MOD, underwater camera systems Accredited specifically for the purpose.

Last edited by Jack65 : 09-12-2017 at 01:18.
Old 09-12-2017, 02:18
Rear-Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack65 View Post
These are images taken from a distance which show the basic hull. When a new class of warship, surface or sub -surface enters service the hull is placed on a restricted list for a specified number of years after the lead vessel is commissioned . Only MOD security cleared divers are permitted to inspect the hull and images may only be captured on a very small number of MOD, underwater camera systems Accredited specifically for the purpose.
The video shows workers crawling through the shaft brackets, the shafts themselves including their flanges, the bilge keels and the thoroughly conventional underwater sections.
It may be on the restricted list but It must come under the same rules that classify a car makers manual restricted after delivery to the MOD
Old 09-12-2017, 15:43
Commodore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASSAIL View Post

I was thinking much the same, this with not having seen the video.
Old 11-12-2017, 18:12
Admiral

OVERHAULING NOW RATHER THAN SORTING OUT 'PROPULSION PROBLEMS?

The work wanted by Rosyth includes the already scheduled refit of HMS Scott and yet to be allocated work on Type 45 destroyers.

With workers at the Rosyth Dockyard in Fife facing 250 redundancies, Prospect, the biggest union on site, is calling for a package of Royal Navy work to be awarded to the dockyard.

Prospect’s national secretary for Scotland Richard Hardy said:

“On behalf of those members facing a bleak Christmas at the risk of redundancy, Prospect is more than disappointed at this decision by the MoD, which seems to be based on crew convenience rather than any sensible economic or workload metrics.”

Babcock is also bidding for a major package of work overhauling the Navy’s fleet of Type 45 destroyers, which will provide a substantial amount of work for a number of years. If done at Rosyth, where it could be done quicker than at other yards, this package of work could also help offset the current redundancy crisis.

“Any work coming into Rosyth will help stave off job losses. HMS Scott will help, but the award of the Type 45 contract is a vital piece of the jigsaw in offsetting redundancies and securing the future of the yard,” said Hardy.

We’re working positively with the senior team at Babcock and we will now start to lobby on this issue with our contacts in MoD, in Westminster and at Holyrood.”

From - https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/unio... paign=social
Old 12-12-2017, 15:09
Commodore

Well we went through the redundancy process in Portsmouth a couple of years back, perhaps they should wake up and smell the coffee.
Old 14-12-2017, 18:26
Admiral

'RE-ENGINING'

Babcock International Group and Prospect, a union for professionals, have run up the Battle Ensign as both parties intend lobbying the Ministry of Defence (MOD) at the eleventh hour for two lucrative Royal Navy contracts which the A&P Group are also bidding for.
The contracts in question which A&P and Babcock wish to win are to re-engine the Royal Navy hydrographic vessel HMS Scott, currently alongside in Devonport along with the re-engining of the six Type 45 Daring Class destroyers which have suffered serious mechanical breakdowns since coming into service.
It is understood that the MOD is expected to confirm imminently which yard has won the £280 million Type 45 contract.

Full article:
http://www.falmouthpacket.co.uk/in_p...p_to_Scotland/
Old 09-01-2018, 13:29
Admiral

DUNCAN

Extract from Navy News

The Type 45 destroyer deployed from her home base yesterday morning to partly pick up where she left off last year, and partly fill in for her sister HMS Diamond who was forced to break off her nine-month Gulf deployment before Christmas due to engineering issues.
First up for the newest Type 45 in the Fleet is a spell as flagship of NATO’s Standing Group 2, an international force of warships which patrols the Mediterranean and Black Sea… a mission Duncan performed for three months last summer.
As a result the ship is jam-packed with sailors – not just the ship’s company and Royal Marines boarding party which all vessels heading to the Middle East carry – but also the NATO battle staff to choreograph the movements of the task group, led by the RN’s Cdre Mike Utley.
Once done with NATO duties, Duncan will head through Suez to work with the UK’s allies in the region in stamping out illegal activity in the Gulf and Indian Ocean – piracy, drug trafficking, arms smuggling, people trafficking – as well as conducting operations and exercises with friendly navies, chiefly the Americans.

Also - https://navaltoday.com/2018/01/08/ro...g2-deployment/

Last edited by Pelican : 09-01-2018 at 18:29. Reason: Also
Old 16-01-2018, 23:23
Admiral

DUNCAN AT MALAGA

http://www.surinenglish.com/local/20...115172956.html
Old 18-01-2018, 22:56
Admiral

Savetheroyalnavy.org

HMS Queen Elizabeth alongside in Portsmouth this week.

Note: HMS Dragon being brought out of the lock on her way to the UHAF for ammunitioning. HMS Dauntless now in dry dock beginning major refit and HMS Defender on the wall due to start post-refit sea trials soon.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DARINGS.jpg (503.5 KB, 56 views)
Old 18-01-2018, 22:58
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelican View Post
Savetheroyalnavy.org

HMS Queen Elizabeth alongside in Portsmouth this week.

Note: HMS Dragon being brought out of the lock on her way to the UHAF for ammunitioning. HMS Dauntless now in dry dock beginning major refit and HMS Defender on the wall due to start post-refit sea trials soon.
Nearly the whole fleet in one photo

Jim
Old 19-01-2018, 15:12
Commodore

Great picture of The Yard pelican, or what is left of it.
Old 19-01-2018, 17:47
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbryce1437 View Post
Nearly the whole fleet in one photo

Jim
Oh well if you can't go to sea you can always play battleships and cruisers -
"Personnel from HMS Queen Elizabeth, HMS Dragon, HMS Diamond and HMS Montrose participate in UK Carrier Strike Group exercise at Maritime Composite Training facility at HMS Collingwood."
See - https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/news-an...for-royal-navy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg COLLINGWOOD.jpg (49.3 KB, 14 views)

Ship Search by Name : Advanced Search
Random Timeline Entry : 7th January 1943 : HMS Enchantress : Lt.Cdr. Evelyn David John Abbot, DSC, RN Assumed Command