World Naval Ships Forums  
VIEW ALL OF OUR CURRENT SPECIAL OFFERS HERE!

Go Back   World Naval Ships Forums > Naval History > All Other Naval Ships
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

All Other Naval Ships Topics relating to a specific ship or ships from any country not mentioned above

Old 12-09-2017, 01:25
Sub-Lieutenant

Default Dutch Warships

De Zeven Provincien Class Cruisers

From the stern of HMS Danae - Gibraltar September 1969

De Ruyter C801 and De Zeven Provincien C802
Old 12-09-2017, 07:37
Commodore

Default Re: Dutch Warships

OK, I'll bite; just what is this atop the jackstay?

Sure looks like a reclining woman to me!! And on a British ship!!

But, is it really there? Or...............?
Old 12-09-2017, 07:55
Forum Moderator

She is most likely Danae, from Greek mythology, who the ship was named after.

Jim
Old 12-09-2017, 08:18
Commodore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbryce1437 View Post
She is most likely Danae, from Greek mythology, who the ship was named after.

Jim
Thanks Jim, I thought someone might have been 'taking the piss' with an 'add in' is all, as the 'colour' of said woman looks different from rest of pic.

I still learn something new every day, thank goodness!
Old 12-09-2017, 10:42
Rear-Admiral

Danae was the daughter of Eurydice and the mother of Perseus. I don't think that the lady in question has anything to do with the mythology. There is probably some 'in house' tale attached to it. Do we have any ex-Danae men on the forum one asks?
Old 12-09-2017, 13:26
Sub-Lieutenant

Hi All,

The photograph came from some 35mm slides I have started to scan in recently, a task I have been meaning to do for many years and now with a new scanner I have begun.

I took this picture when I was serving on the Danae, apart from lightening the photo a little it is original with no additions . Unfortunately having only joined the ship three months before as a lowly JRO2 I was probably too caught up with other life onboard ones first ship to even notice the "lady". I cannot shed any light on its origins unless it was celebrating the recent Far Eastern ships companies run ashores

On leaving Gibraltar the Danae returned to Plymouth on October 1st 1969 after a years Far East deployment and payed off its first commission 1967 to 1969.

Regards
Paul
Old 12-09-2017, 13:42
Commodore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navyking View Post
The photograph came from some 35mm slides I have started to scan in recently, a task I have been meaning to do for many years and now with a new scanner I have begun. Paul
Good luck with digitizing those photos Paul; have been doing same myself for what, 20 years on and (mostly) off I guess, and have barely put a dint in my 'collection'.

And thanks muchly for the update / background to the pic. Cool !

PS. Do you have a dedicated slide scanner (rare as hens teeth these daze), or....................?
Old 12-09-2017, 13:53
Sub-Lieutenant

Hi Kevin,

After researching photo and slide scanners for a while I narrowed choice down to two flatbed scanners both Epson's, V600 ($200) versus V800/850 (about $700 to $800). I settled on the V600 for value but sacrificed the number of simultaneous slide scans to 4 as apposed to 12. I am pleased with the ease and quality of the scans so far. To your point a dedicated slide scanner are rare and quality ones are very expensive.

I am planning to retire in the near future so I hope to plough through my of slides and photographs soon. It is fun seeing long forgotten images of many years ago!!

Good luck with your scanning.

Regards
Paul
Old 12-09-2017, 14:12
Commodore

Quote:
...........but sacrificed the number of simultaneous slide scans to 4 as apposed to 12........Paul
Ouch! You may just come to regret that 3 to 1 ratio as it were Paul, depending of course on just how many slides you have / intend to scan. Hopefully not though, and completely understand your purchase choice given the 4 to 1 price difference!

And yes, think it impossible(?) to get a new dedicated slide scanner these days. I think I have the last top of the line dedicated (non-flatbed) slide scanner model that Nikon ever made (before dedicateds were dropped / outdated with the arrival of the digital camera age).

But sounds like the flatbeds have really caught right up quality wise, and speed of pass wise, given what you say and your result with a 200 quid one, as opposed to my several thousand Ozzie dollar 'slide dedicated' Nikon one, back circa mid / late 90's!!! But after all, I was a photographer, so...................."put up or shut up" seemed to be the motto then.

Last edited by Kevin Denlay : 12-09-2017 at 18:57.
Old 12-09-2017, 18:03
Admiral

Quote:

Hi All,

The photograph came from some 35mm slides I have started to scan in recently, a task I have been meaning to do for many years and now with a new scanner I have begun.

Regards
Paul
Paul:

Hopefully you will share more of your collection with us as you find the time to scan them.
Old 12-09-2017, 19:58
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Denlay View Post
OK, I'll bite; just what is this atop the jackstay?

Sure looks like a reclining woman to me!! And on a British ship!!

But, is it really there? Or...............?
Alas - there is but a white ensign flying from the ensign staff (as indicated within the red outline)

Forsooth - there is a maiden(?) reclining atop what appears to be naught but a common stanchion - which is apparently mounted on the hangar roof

So twood appear that no breach of naval etiquette has been perpetrated by her presence

Little h

GFXU - HMS Falmouth in Falmouth Bay

Last edited by harry.gibbon : 12-09-2017 at 20:24.
Old 12-09-2017, 20:54
Commodore

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry.gibbon View Post
Alas - there is but a white ensign flying from the ensign staff (as indicated within the red outline)

Forsooth - there is a maiden(?) reclining atop what appears to be naught but a common stanchion - which is apparently mounted on the hangar roof

So twood appear that no breach of naval etiquette has been perpetrated by her presence

Little h
LH, alhough I saw / can see the white ensign, and the fair maiden, any chance of repeating the rest in non navy lingo (or whatever lingo thou do'est speak) for a non navy commoner like me?
Old 12-09-2017, 20:56
Commodore

Deleted double post.
Old 12-09-2017, 21:07
Admiral

Quote:
LH, alhough I saw / can see the white ensign, and the fair maiden, any chance of repeating the rest in non navy lingo (or whatever lingo thou do'est speak) for a non navy commoner like me?
Yeh no probs.

I took your post to read that there was a reclining woman atop the flagstaff that would normally carry the ensign.

So in a lighthearted manner I attempted to clarify that the reclining maiden was attached atop a stanchion mounted on the hangar roof rather than on the ensign staff.

I could see no mention of the reason for the Danae being so adorned in this website

Little h

GFXU - HMS Falmouth in Falmouth Bay
Old 14-09-2017, 06:21
Commodore

Thanks for your reply LH.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry.gibbon View Post
Yeh no probs.

I took your post to read that there was a reclining woman atop the flagstaff that would normally carry the ensign.
Yes and no as it were. There is / appears to be a reclining woman atop what I may have erroneously called a 'jackstay', and could see what I took to be an ensign flying (or some Brit flag?) beneath it. Correct or not (save for the term I used for whatever is supporting said 'woman' that is)?

Or is what you are saying is that the woman is attached to a different 'support' frame / pole, etc, than what the 'flag' is attached to?

And again, thanks for your clarification.

KD
Old 14-09-2017, 14:57
Forum Moderator

Quote:

Yes and no as it were. There is / appears to be a reclining woman atop what I may have erroneously called a 'jackstay', and could see what I took to be an ensign flying (or some Brit flag?) beneath it. Correct or not (save for the term I used for whatever is supporting said 'woman' that is)?

Or is what you are saying is that the woman is attached to a different 'support' frame / pole, etc, than what the 'flag' is attached to?

And again, thanks for your clarification.

KD
Being atop of the hangar, I wonder if it was in use as a wind vane, with the pennant giving a helicopter pilot a visual indication for landing on the flight deck?

Jim
Old 14-09-2017, 16:31
Commodore

Quote:
....................I took to be an ensign flying (or some Brit flag?) beneath it. Correct or not (save for the term I used for whatever is supporting said 'woman' that is)?

Just to clarify / correct my above (now underlined wording), as edit function button has now 'gone' from that post so can't edit it there. The words 'an ensign flying' should have read ......'something flying (or a Brit 'flag')'........not what I wrote above / in previous, as the ensign is obviously off to the left. :-(

An yes Jim, certainly could be as you say. Makes sense (to me), but what do I know. Lets see if NavyKing comes back on to clarify.
Old 14-09-2017, 17:16
Sub-Lieutenant

Hi,

I think Jim's comment on the weather vane and visual indicator for the Helicopter pilot is the most plausible explanation, certainly I cannot think of a better one. As for the weather vane I guess a member of the flight team processed some artistic and imaginary talent

Regards

Ship Search by Name : Advanced Search
Random Timeline Entry : 13th January 1939 : HMS Hardy : Sailed Haifa for Alexandria