World Naval Ships Forums  
VIEW ALL OF OUR CURRENT SPECIAL OFFERS HERE!

Go Back   World Naval Ships Forums > Naval History > New Zealand Ships and Navy
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

New Zealand Ships and Navy Discuss the New Zealand navy here.

Old 15-11-2016, 17:15
Commander

Default Re: HMNZS Canterbury

Quote:
Originally Posted by NighthawkNZ View Post
HMNZS Canterbury berthed at Devonport this evening before heading to Kaikoura to pick up people who need to get to safety.

While no Navy it is NZDF as a whole who have responded. The Royal New Zealand Air Force has NH90 helicopters and Orion P-3K2 aircraft in the air surveying the area after last night's 7.5 quake centred near Hamner Springs. Our personnel from Burnham Military Camp and RNZAF Base Woodbourne have also been mobilised to support the Christchurch civil defence authorities. Keep safe everyone and look out for your neighbours, friends and family.
Well since it got moved here... ???

HMNZS Canterbury was the lead ship, with HMNZS Wellington, Endevour, Te Kaha and I believe Wellington...

The USS Sampson, HMAS Darwin and HMCS Vancouver were also diverted from the fleet entering into Auckland harbour as part of the Navy 75th and now are all headed to Kaikoura.

Singapore, Japan have sent helo and surveillance aircraft. that were here for the 75th as well...

The NZDF deployed 4 NH90 and a A109, the Beechcraft Super King Air B200 aircraft. The C130s will be deployed to delivering generators and water, the Hercules will also airdrop about 5000 litres of water to the town’s residents in the afternoon. I am not 100% sure if the hercus can actually land at Kaikouras air strip ... have a funny feeling they can't.

For those that have been following it the damage is pretty bad...

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/8647....post.86479193

Kia Kaha
Old 16-11-2016, 06:39
Commander

HMNZS Canterbury crew and Helo hard at work in Kaikoura
Old 16-11-2016, 09:16
Commander

Also the office deployment from the

Quote:
WASHINGTON, Nov. 15, 2016 — The guided missile destroyer USS Sampson is rushing to New Zealand to help those affected by a magnitude 7.5 earthquake that struck yesterday, U.S. Pacific Command officials said today.

Navy Adm. Harry Harris, the Pacom commander, said the ship carries two MH-60R Seahawk helicopters that will be invaluable at the scene.

The quake killed two and stranded thousands of residents and tourists on New Zealand’s South Island. The temblor also caused landslides that closed most roads and rail lines into the area.

Harris announced the deployment of the Sampson during the Defense One Summit Kickoff event here. He stressed the importance of U.S. military presence in the Indo-Asia-Pacific region. “American presence matters, as shown yet again today: Our prayers go out to our friends in New Zealand as they deal with another devastating earthquake on the South Island,” Harris said. “But more than that, our help also goes out.”

The USS Sampson was slated to represent the U.S. Navy at the New Zealand International Naval Review later this week in Auckland. The event marks the 75th anniversary of the founding of New Zealand’s navy.

The ship joins a Navy P-3C Orion maritime reconnaissance aircraft that has already deployed to New Zealand. The aircraft is based at Marine Corps Base Hawaii.

http://www.defense.gov/News/Article/...quake-recovery
I have family in Kaikoura and they were a little confused why and how a warship(s) can help till I explained...

Quote:
Originally Posted by family
What ? how many are sending war ships - Canada, Australia, usa, Malaysia - looks like an invasion. I would have thought bulldozers would be more beneficial to warships myself.
My reply (after a few other comments... lol

Quote:
Those ships were already here for the 75th Navy fleet review... which is happening this weekend (which I guess they will miss out on now)

Sorry but it doesn't matter if they are warships or not... they still can supply you with fresh water, food, medical care, search & rescue teams, security, evacuation to those that require it, and it gives feet on the ground to do the grunt work... trust me I have done this type of disaster relief many times when I was in the navy.

The bulldozers and other equipment I can guarantee they are on the way but they will be probably the next load... as they have to mobilise them, take off other jobs etc... so are not in the first response else you will still be waiting for that food, water and medical care...

Also was just stating that our own navy and vessels train for this all the time and it is Canterburys main role, HADR...
Photo's Evacuating ...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CxVEfW_VQAAkqub.jpg (61.5 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg CxWf-b-UAAASRD7.jpg (178.9 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg CxWf-b-UkAAFw_m.jpg (204.6 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg CxWf-b-UQAAwNAd.jpg (158.0 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg CxWo2hHVIAEBbL0.jpg (161.7 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg CxWo2hIUsAEEbPF.jpg (183.0 KB, 11 views)

Last edited by NighthawkNZ : 16-11-2016 at 09:33.
Old 16-08-2017, 00:38
Commander

HMNZS Canterbury had a rough start in life but she is now becoming a game changer for the RNZN and NZDF and starting to show her worth.

A good article written by Janes

http://www.defence.govt.nz/assets/Up...l-delivers.PDF
Old 18-08-2017, 05:04
Chief Petty Officer

Thanks very much for posting. An interesting read.

Ship Search by Name : Advanced Search
Random Timeline Entry : 22nd January 1935 : HMS Kempenfelt : 4th Destroyer Flotilla