World Naval Ships Forums  
VIEW ALL OF OUR CURRENT SPECIAL OFFERS HERE!

Go Back   World Naval Ships Forums > Naval History > Member Articles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Member Articles Naval articles submitted by our community members.

Old 18-02-2018, 14:39
Admiral

Default Re: Alaska class: Battlecruiser or Large Cruiser semi-debate

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBat242 View Post
Mostly it's just my 40+ years of interest in such matters - and having spent most of those years reading (in libraries etc) & collecting such works as I could afford, and having a decent memory about them.

I began this (with aircraft, warships, & armored vehicles) back in 1974-75, and have continued to date.

I've learned a lot more in the past decade-plus that I've been on internet discussion boards like this... and have a very long list of rather expensive (and extensive) volumes that I want to get - when I can afford to do so. Many of these are regularly cited by posters here... much to my jealousy!
Well Jon if you will allow me to offer advice I would rec' looking on these websites [amongst others like Amazing] for second hand copies like I do , as libraries , and folk who have no further use for them once their owners have passed away and are having a clear out .

The worst I had back was useable if a tad yellow on the edges and the best was like new... and the best price was 60p and the dearest £8.00 including postage so don't be put off and look around .....I guarantee you won't regret it , and postage to your fair isle is not as bad as you may think , one recent enquiry I made for a friend was for two books weighing 2kg's and was £15.00 tracked and delivered to your side of the water ........so give it some thought .

Kind regards Ivor .
Old 19-02-2018, 22:01
Able Seaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBat242 View Post
Iowa class battleships 45,000 tons standard; $100 million USD per ship - $2,222 per ton

Alaska class cruisers 29,800 t std; $70 million USD per ship - $3,420 per ton

Essex class carriers ~30,000 t std; $68 - $78 million USD per ship - $2,266-$2,600 per ton (the $90 million seems to be for Oriskany, which was completed in 1950 to an improved design)

North Carolina/South Dakota class 35,000 t std; $77 million USD per ship - $2,200 per ton

Baltimore class cruisers 14,500 t std; $42 million USD Per ship - $2,896 per ton

Cleveland class cruisers 11,750 t std; $31 million USD Per ship average - $2,637 per ton (Houston cost $42 million - I don't know why she cost so much more than most of the class)

Des Moines class cruisers 17,250t std; $52 million USD per ship - $3,014 per ton

Hmmm... the effects of wartime labor rates seems to be far less than I thought - and far less than I have read from several authors!

The Alaskas do seem to be the outlier here, and by a good margin - all of the battleships are right about the same per ton, and so are the wartime cruisers. The Des Moines are just a little costlier per ton than the Baltimores.

I expect that part of the high cost of the Alaskas was due to how few were made - the guns are reported to have cost more each than the 16" guns of the Iowas, for example - "each 12" gun was the most expensive naval gun in the USN" as one source put it.
Sorry. Was more refering to the fact that if are to try to avoid warlabour costs, then the Iowas and Baltic would cost less.

But based on your calculations (which are way better than anything I can do), it still seems that the Alaska's just didn't represent their worth for buck. Maybe if the guns were cheaper maybe her price tag would've been more forgivable.
Old 19-02-2018, 22:24
Admiral

Here's a decent shot of Alaska Class Large Cruiser USS Guam...Regards Brian
Attached Images
File Type: jpg guam lg.jpg (210.3 KB, 30 views)
Old 20-02-2018, 10:44
Admiral

Thanks Brian for posting that , but looking down her starboard side she is leaking like a colander or there are a lot of heads installed
Old 21-02-2018, 12:26
Commander

Re: Post 14.

Does anyone know what the American authors D and G: sorry, but I cannot remember their names though I have read of them described as "Dark and Gruesome," have to say on the matter? I believe that they wrote a good technical history on American capital ships.

GK
Old 21-02-2018, 16:22
Sub-Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivorthediver View Post
Thanks Brian for posting that , but looking down her starboard side she is leaking like a colander or there are a lot of heads installed
Lots of salt water heads etc! No need to worry water when you do not have to worry about making it. Just worry about rotting/rusting away but we had a war to fight do we did not worry about that either.

I like these ships. I have to read up on the guns though as to range, accuracy etc.
Old 21-02-2018, 21:30
Admiral

Thanks F.D. sorry don't know your real name ] I thought it might be , but as you say they had more important things to worry about .

Thanks for the reply ...Ivor
Old Today, 04:22
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grosser Kreuzer View Post
Re: Post 14.

Does anyone know what the American authors D and G: sorry, but I cannot remember their names though I have read of them described as "Dark and Gruesome," have to say on the matter? I believe that they wrote a good technical history on American capital ships.

GK
William H. Garzke Jr. &‎ Robert O. Dulin Jr.

Ship Search by Name : Advanced Search
Random Timeline Entry : 10th January 1940 : HMS Griffin : Arrived Aberdeen. Saoled same day ro relieve HMS Boreas off the northeast coast