World Naval Ships Forums  
VIEW ALL OF OUR CURRENT SPECIAL OFFERS HERE!

Go Back   World Naval Ships Forums > Naval History > Other Naval Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Other Naval Topics Other general naval or navy-related topics.

Old 19-02-2018, 21:44
Admiral

Default Re: Communications in the Royal Navy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCRG1970 View Post
Strangely I cannot recall anyone changing the plugs over or interfering with them in anyway. Seems that once the sparkers set them up they remained in that position for posterity!!!

Regards

Not true of any ship I served in Gerry.

There was much re-configuring of the layout that took place in a number of offices/rooms.

This was necessary to satisfy the equipment requirements/changes arising from the Complan formulated for every exercise, and/or serial(s) in an exercise, where the ship was a participant.

Little h

Complan = Communications Plan

GFXU - HMS Falmouth in Falmouth Bay
Old 19-02-2018, 21:49
Rear-Admiral

concur absolutely little h. One wonders if Gerry has perhaps confused this with something else!
Old 19-02-2018, 22:39
Admiral

Exclamation Re: Communications in the Royal Navy

Thank Gawd I was only on older small ships.
Does anyone remember wire recorders? e.g. Used on Air Stns. for Air to Air, Air to Ground and Range freqs.
Also recorders used for transcription which had metal discs larger than the old 33.3 rpm plastic records?
Old 20-02-2018, 10:41
Lieutenant-Commander

I think we had a wire recorder in the SRE on HMS Glasgow in the 50's.
Mke
Old 20-02-2018, 12:06
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCRG1970 View Post
I remember this system being sited inside the door of the Upper and Lower receiving rooms on the Lion and nearly identical on Dido years later.

Strangely I cannot recall anyone changing the plugs over or interfering with them in anyway. Seems that once the sparkers set them up they remained in that position for posterity!!!

Regards

Gerry
Wish that had been so Gerry .... would have made my life a lot easier. As Harry says the plugging was dependant on the requirements of the Complan [Communications Plan] for the day and changes thereto caused by Equipment Failures or Requirement changes dictated by the Exercise Programme ...... the busiest always being during the six week intensive workups of newly crewed Ships at Portland under FOST [Flag Officer Sea Training]. Only passage or local Communications would allow a standard plugging and even that had it's ups and downs. I will agree that where it was possible the same Transmitters with corresponding Receivers would be allocated to the same bays , positions [ie. Tactical Primary [UHF Comms between Ships would be permanently to the Bridge].

Dave H
Old 20-02-2018, 12:39
Admiral

SQA

Another item that I have never seen.
Nor the origin of the emblem.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SQA.jpg (224.5 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg nd.jpg (6.5 KB, 6 views)

Last edited by Pelican : 20-02-2018 at 12:54. Reason: Addition
Old 21-02-2018, 13:28
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelican View Post
SQA

FSA That had a different meaning in my day.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FSA.jpg (63.4 KB, 10 views)
Old 21-02-2018, 14:21
Sub-Lieutenant

Quote:
SQA

Apologies if I am stating the obvious, with the N and the D and the ban the bomb sign = Nuclear Disarmament.

Maybe the bunting was a peacenik !
Old 21-02-2018, 16:45
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navyking View Post
Apologies if I am stating the obvious, with the N and the D and the ban the bomb sign = Nuclear Disarmament.

Maybe the bunting was a peacenik !
Just to clarify Navyking - what I meant was that I never knew how the symbol originated.

"Gerald Holtom, a conscientious objector who had worked on a farm in Norfolk during the Second World War, explained that the symbol incorporated the semaphore letters N(uclear) and D(isarmament).
He later wrote to Hugh Brock, editor of Peace News, explaining the genesis of his idea in greater, more personal depth:
'I was in despair. Deep despair. I drew myself: the representative of an individual in despair, with hands palm outstretched outwards and downwards in the manner of Goya's peasant before the firing squad. I formalised the drawing into a line and put a circle round it.'
Eric Austen added his own interpretation of the design: 'the gesture of despair had long been associated with the death of Man and the circle with the unborn child.' "

From - http://www.cnduk.org/about/item/435-the-cnd-symbol
Old 21-02-2018, 17:36
Admiral

Hi All

The original emblems were made from clay as in the event of nuclear holocaust they would be one of the only things left as they were not combustible.

Mitch Hinde
Old 22-02-2018, 14:15
Sub-Lieutenant

Quote:
Just to clarify Navyking - what I meant was that I never knew how the symbol originated.

"Gerald Holtom, a conscientious objector who had worked on a farm in Norfolk during the Second World War, explained that the symbol incorporated the semaphore letters N(uclear) and D(isarmament).
He later wrote to Hugh Brock, editor of Peace News, explaining the genesis of his idea in greater, more personal depth:
'I was in despair. Deep despair. I drew myself: the representative of an individual in despair, with hands palm outstretched outwards and downwards in the manner of Goya's peasant before the firing squad. I formalised the drawing into a line and put a circle round it.'
Eric Austen added his own interpretation of the design: 'the gesture of despair had long been associated with the death of Man and the circle with the unborn child.' "

From - http://www.cnduk.org/about/item/435-the-cnd-symbol
My Apologies Pelican, I misunderstood your post #2406. Thanks for explanation of the symbol and the link, very enlightening to the origin of it.

Regards
Navyking
Old 22-02-2018, 14:25
Admiral

Quote:
SQA

Cannot remember ever seeing a SQA on a RN Ship ,,,,,,,, but a faint memory of RFA's fit lingers. Think they were fitted on Fort Charlotte , Fort Rosalie , Retainer , Olna and Reliant in the 60's Far East plus the other RFA's of that time. [I did spells on all the named 62/63/64 on FE Fleet Pool].

Dave H
Old 22-02-2018, 18:09
Admiral

HF RX R500 AND TT36

Info - "TT36....loved a bit of arrangement 1 shift parameters
What time period are we in now, I left 1988 not seen one of these !
The R500 has been in for ages; we had one on the Glamorgan for trials in about 85 and they're still fitted on T23"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HF RX R500 AND TT36.jpg (158.5 KB, 8 views)
Old 22-02-2018, 18:45
Rear-Admiral

Gosh! How posh! I never saw that receiver during my time in service and as for the TT36 - well - the TT10 and the TT11 were about as far as we had reached back then. They were very reliable tone converters in my opinion. I do remember the SQA but I am damned if I can remember which ships had one.
Old Yesterday, 12:30
Admiral

RADHAZ BOARD

Now known as SHIPHAZ.

"I was aloft maintaining the main roof on the Tenby and had drawn the keys of the ship inboard of us and our own keys. I went to put a handful of vaseline on end of the main roof (dead end guide grips ?) and it melted. I immediately climbed down and went to the RADHAZ board and the OOD had released all the keys with only our 640 keys still in the board. I ripped into the OOD and told him exactly what I thought of him. Thankfully, he was probably looking at a serious charge and just stood there and took it."

"Had a similar incident on the Birmingham, was halfway up the mast when one of radars started rotating. OOD2 a middy had released the keys. He knew he was in the wrong and took my anglo saxon on the chin. SCO then turned up who really tore him a new arse. Seems it wasnt a foolproof system."
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RADHAZ BOARD - NOW KNOWN AS SHIPHAZ.jpg (154.8 KB, 7 views)
Old Yesterday, 16:34
Admiral

David/Pelican,

The use of the term RADHAZ is still quite prevalent in many of the DEFSTAN and JSP documents one can access on t'internet - certainly up to 2015/16.

Re. recent attachments; so many of the 'exhibits' carry a label annotated CM0XXXX - one is prompted to ask where are these piecies of equipment on view?

Little h

Last edited by harry.gibbon : Yesterday at 17:26.
Old Yesterday, 22:46
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry.gibbon View Post
David/Pelican,

The use of the term RADHAZ is still quite prevalent in many of the DEFSTAN and JSP documents one can access on t'internet - certainly up to 2015/16.

Re. recent attachments; so many of the 'exhibits' carry a label annotated CM0XXXX - one is prompted to ask where are these piecies of equipment on view?

Little h
Believe tis here Harry - http://www.rnmuseumradarandcommunications2006.org.uk/
Old Yesterday, 23:20
Admiral

Quote:
OK thanks very much David. I'm frequently on that site and admit not having happened across some of the attachments you have put up.

The labels were a clue.

However, since I find neither the Communications nor the Radar matrices particularily to my liking, thought that asking would avoid further frustration

Little h

Last edited by harry.gibbon : Today at 00:15.

Ship Search by Name : Advanced Search
Random Timeline Entry : 31st January 1939 : HMS Diomede : Sailed Scapa Flow. Deployed in the North Sea between the Orkneys and Norway.