World Naval Ships Forums  
VIEW ALL OF OUR CURRENT SPECIAL OFFERS HERE!

Go Back   World Naval Ships Forums > Naval History > Japanese Ships and Crews
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Japanese Ships and Crews Topics relating to a specific Japanese ship or ships.

Old 07-02-2016, 11:16
Commodore

Default HIJMS Kamikaze circa late 1945

Gents, I know it’s probably a long shot but……………………………am chasing a photo, should any exist, of the Japanese destroyer HIJMS Kamikze in late 1945, showing how she was configured when surrendered to the British at Singapore. That is, how she looked at end of the conflict – or just before - as opposed to how she looked when reconfigured for later repatriation duties. (For a little background, the following from Wicki “At the time of the surrender of Japan, she was still based in Singapore, and was turned over to British authorities there. Kamikaze was struck from the Navy List on 5 October 1945. She was subsequently demilitarized and used as a repatriation vessel returning Japanese military personnel back to the Japanese home islands from Singapore, Bangkok and Saigon in late 1945 and early 1946. Kamikaze ran aground and was wrecked on 7 June 1946.”)

The photo I am after then would show her configured somewhere between the attached schematic (image #1, showing all her torp tubes removed, as was completed in May 1945) and her aground in June 1946 (image #2). The key point I am trying to ascertain is whether her forward torpedo tube area was already closed in (image #3) prior to the end of the war (to assist in depicting her correctly in a late war painting).

Any help much appreciated!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1 Kamikaze circa May 1945.jpg (397.8 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg 2 Kamikaze aground 1946.jpg (314.3 KB, 79 views)
File Type: jpg 3 Kamikaze foredeck 1945.jpg (265.7 KB, 49 views)
Old 07-02-2016, 13:37
Rear-Admiral

Default Re: HIJMS Kamikaze circa late 1945

I have these I downloaded from a Japanese site. one of Kamakazi and two from the same class that may help.
I have some good Japanese friends, should you need any translations.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Kamikaze_IJN.jpg (49.5 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg Asanagi_DD15_IJN_OsakaBay_19241229_01.jpg (76.7 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg Yamagi_DD28_19360905_01.jpg (143.3 KB, 75 views)
Sunny Ocala FLA USA
http://www.barrylockyer.com/

Old 08-02-2016, 10:42
Commodore

Thanks for the input limeybiker.

However I am very familiar with what this ship looked like prior to her 'mid' 1945 mods, so the only photo I am after is one that would show how she looked when surrendered in 1945 - should one exist.

Was hoping there might be one in a Brits collection, as none have ever appeared from the Japanese side.

But thanks anyway!
Old 09-02-2016, 12:29
Commodore

Gents,

Thanks to a very timely visit to the IWM by another member of this forum - David Verghese - we now have definitive proof that Kamikaze's foredeck was not enclosed prior to the end of the war.

Below is a 'grab' from some footage that David sent me a link to showing Kamikaze in Singapore Harbour circa Sept, 1945.

For those that want to see for themselves go to the following link. Harbour footage starts about 6.50mins in, and Kamikaze appears at 8.20.
http://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/it...ect/1060020409

If somehow that link does not work, just enter ADM1231 in IWM's "Collections' search box.

So, a BIG thank you to David for solving the mystery once and for all.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Kamikaze post surrender 1945.jpg (156.4 KB, 74 views)

Last edited by Kevin Denlay : 09-02-2016 at 13:03.
Old 24-01-2018, 16:15
Ordinary Seaman

Hello guys, I realize this thread has been inactive for 12 years (!), but I thought perhaps it is a good place to post my question here as you seem to be well acquainted with this destroyer class. I am getting ready to build the Yunagi (Kamikaze-class) in her 1942 fit. I΄ve got the Pit-Road Hayate kit but it seems the spare torpedo stowage and reload rails have been relocated on Yunagi before the war so that the starboard rails went both fore and aft as opposed to the original arrangement shown on the schematic below.

It seems this change was made on more Kamikaze-class destroyers before the war, it an be told e.g. when looking at the port side of the bridge - the original opening for the reload rails under the bridge was closed during the refit.

What I am looking for is photo reference showing clearly how did the relocated torpedo stowage and rails look like. So far the only "clear" indication I have is the second picture showing a conversion done by a Japanese modeler. As I like to superdetail my builds I would need more evidence to be able to do it properly.

Thanks!

Ship Search by Name : Advanced Search
Random Timeline Entry : 13th January 1934 : HMS Keppel : Arrived Swatow from Amoy