World Naval Ships Forums  
VIEW ALL OF OUR CURRENT SPECIAL OFFERS HERE!

Go Back   World Naval Ships Forums > Naval History > Other Naval Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Other Naval Topics Other general naval or navy-related topics.

Old 14-09-2017, 16:46
Rear-Admiral

Default Re: Ships/Badges - Crests etc

thanks Tony ,
is that badge or barge, and any idea what the MAC stood for, i will included in my collection what you have passed to me, thank

warm regards Tom
Old 14-09-2017, 16:48
Ordinary Seaman

I was wondering if someone might be able to help. Looking for a few ship badges for some Royal Navy and Royal Indian Navy ships.

HMS Saker
HMS Acheron - submarine
HMS Amphion - submarine
HMS Aeneas - submarine
HMS Auriga - submarine
HMS Highflyer - offset square
HMS Sheba - offset square
HMS Cockchafer - round

HMIS Indus
HMIS Sutlej
HMIS Narbada

Thank you in advance for the assistance!

Cheers!
Harry
Old 14-09-2017, 20:46
Able Seaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Grant View Post
thanks Tony ,
is that badge or barge, and any idea what the MAC stood for, i will included in my collection what you have passed to me, thank

warm regards Tom
Tom it is a Barge. MAC means Maintenance Attendant Craft, Tony
Old 15-09-2017, 14:29
Rear-Admiral

Thanks Tony, good help
regards Tom
Old 15-09-2017, 14:50
Sub-Lieutenant

Harry.
try the search function, I think you will fins all those badges have been illustrated.
Old 17-09-2017, 10:43
Ordinary Seaman

Good Day to you?

I have just recently registered as a member of this Forum and I am very pleased that I found it.

I have for many years taken an interest in this subject and it goes right back to the 1950s when I was at school as it was there that I first saw ship's badges on cigarette cards. In those days as some of you will recall there were many not references on the subject. I'm not sure what came first now for it might have been Gale & Polden's Heraldry in the R.N. Crests & Badges of H.M. Ships by Alfred Weightman published in 1957, or, the Ship's badges on the back of Kellogg's Cornflakes! So, for years all I had to go on was Weightman's book which I didn't get a copy of until 1962 and the cigarette card set. However, I am pleased to say that things have moved on quite a bit since then.

During 1964 I was lucky enough to become acquainted with Derek Taylor and through his passion on the subject I gained a considerable amount of knowledge. It is a bit like now, walking into a sweet shop with all your favourites on display.

Well, I don't know how I have come to miss this Forum! But, I am very pleased that I have found it and I am hoping to contribute to it in some way. Although at this time I am busy trawling through the many emails that have been sent over the years and I am soaking up the knowledge given by its members whether, they be past or, present. Plus, I am enjoying seeing the work that has been carried out on the badges that I have in my albums. For those carrying out that task I thank you.

Regards
Arthur
Old 17-09-2017, 11:17
Rear-Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur B View Post
Good Day to you?

I have just recently registered as a member of this Forum and I am very pleased that I found it.

I have for many years taken an interest in this subject and it goes right back to the 1950s when I was at school as it was there that I first saw ship's badges on cigarette cards. In those days as some of you will recall there were many not references on the subject. I'm not sure what came first now for it might have been Gale & Polden's Heraldry in the R.N. Crests & Badges of H.M. Ships by Alfred Weightman published in 1957, or, the Ship's badges on the back of Kellogg's Cornflakes! So, for years all I had to go on was Weightman's book which I didn't get a copy of until 1962 and the cigarette card set. However, I am pleased to say that things have moved on quite a bit since then.

During 1964 I was lucky enough to become acquainted with Derek Taylor and through his passion on the subject I gained a considerable amount of knowledge. It is a bit like now, walking into a sweet shop with all your favourites on display.

Well, I don't know how I have come to miss this Forum! But, I am very pleased that I have found it and I am hoping to contribute to it in some way. Although at this time I am busy trawling through the many emails that have been sent over the years and I am soaking up the knowledge given by its members whether, they be past or, present. Plus, I am enjoying seeing the work that has been carried out on the badges that I have in my albums. For those carrying out that task I thank you.

Regards
Arthur
Welcome Arthur,

You will find this forum the most helpful and knowledgeable on the Internet, I am constantly amazed by the knowledge, help and emotional assistance that flows to all corners of the world from our fellow members, ask and you will receive, give and it will be reciprocated.
Sunny Ocala FLA USA
http://www.barrylockyer.com/

Old 17-09-2017, 12:07
Ordinary Seaman

Good day Barry,

Thank you for your message. There is definitely a wealth of knowledgeable members on this Forum. Slowly some of the things that I thought I could share with the members are being whittled away. However, I am still hopeful.

Regards
Arthur
Old 18-09-2017, 13:49
Ordinary Seaman

Good afternoon,

As I am going through the various messages I have encountered a problem on pages 262-264. From message 6536-6598 there are no attachments being shown in the appropriate boxes below, that is with the exception of messages 6584 & 6595. Could you please tell me if any you are receiving the same problem as I am.

Regards
Arthur
Old 18-09-2017, 14:06
Commodore

Same problem here also.
May I suggest a PM to jbryce1437 (mod) to let him know.

Jack.
Old 18-09-2017, 14:38
Ordinary Seaman

Good afternoon Jack,

Thank you for your reply. I will send a message off to him.

Regards
Arthur
Old 18-09-2017, 19:43
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur B View Post
Good afternoon,

As I am going through the various messages I have encountered a problem on pages 262-264. From message 6536-6598 there are no attachments being shown in the appropriate boxes below, that is with the exception of messages 6584 & 6595. Could you please tell me if any you are receiving the same problem as I am.

Regards
Arthur
The missing images are due to a problem encountered at that time. Fortunately, kc was able to reinstate the posts but, unfortunately, the attachments were lost. The same problem is evident with many of the posts made about that time on various threads.

Jim
Old 18-09-2017, 20:42
Ordinary Seaman

Good evening Jim,

Thank you for your reply.

Regards
Arthur
Old 22-09-2017, 17:40
Rear-Admiral

Greetings all,
i know this is a shot i the dark but i have a reference to an AFO 1414/54
this AFO is about ships badges ie MTB/MGB and FAST PATROL BOATS,

I am aware this it near impossible, i am hoping that someone somewhere might have a very old copy of this AFO before they became QR/AIs
or even some contact i could contact to get a copy
regards Tom
Old Yesterday, 18:35
Rear-Admiral

greetings once again,
another problem, my previous post asking to identify this badge i have been informed what the initials are but what do they stand for MDHF,
once again thanks for any help
regards Tom
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MG6748_1_Large.jpg (25.3 KB, 11 views)

Ship Search by Name : Advanced Search
Random Timeline Entry : 21st January 1940 : HMS Express : Sent to hunt submarines in Moray Firth