World Naval Ships Forums  
CURRENT SPECIAL OFFERS ON OUR HUGE SELECTION OF ART PRINTS!

Go Back   World Naval Ships Forums > Military History > Other
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Other Any other topic on military history covering ancient and medieval battles and any other related topics

Old 28-08-2010, 19:29
Leading Seaman

Default Prisoner of War Lists

Has the Times or any other source any lists for the HMS Bedouin, Gloucester, Glow Worm, Havock,Hereward and the Sikh?
I have partial lists and are willing to share accordingly.
Best regards Ian
Old 10-12-2010, 15:14
Vice-Admiral

Default Re: Prisoner of War Lists

Ian, here are a couple - what dates were `your' ships lost ??

FRENCH Ronald C L/Tel P/JX 137186 HEREWARD

HAINES Noel T J Marine PLY/X 3218 GLOUCESTER

They do not show up in list `POW German Occupied Territories'.

Sadsac
Old 28-01-2011, 19:54
Leading Seaman

HMS Havock 06/04/1942
HMS Hereward 29/05/1941
HMS Bedouin 15/06/1942
I have found the others just the above especially the Havock !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Best regards Ian
Old 28-01-2011, 20:06
Vice Commodore

Ian i assume from the thread title that you are interested in prisoners of war from the ships you list , a member of my family was RNVR and he was in a German prison camp i found this out from a link on the Forces Reunited web site though it gave me no information regarding the ship that he was from
Nigel
Old 11-02-2012, 21:41
Ordinary Seaman

Ian, If you are still researching HMS Sikh, my Nan tells me that my Grandad was on B gun on Sikh when it was sunk. His name was Jim Nolan, or Ginger. I'm lead to believe that a book was written about the boat with its name changed to HMS Skye, called lower deck by John Davies. If you have any info, please can you pass it on via the thread or email. Thanks, Gregg.
Old 09-05-2013, 10:09
Ordinary Seaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by immcleod View Post
HMS Havock 06/04/1942
HMS Hereward 29/05/1941
HMS Bedouin 15/06/1942
I have found the others just the above especially the Havock !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Best regards Ian
looking for Charles Walther in Laghouat camp from 11/04/1942 any info would be welcome
Old 03-05-2014, 16:36
Ordinary Seaman

Ian. I've been trying to get in contact with you to get an update on the crew list for HMS Havock. I think you have my email address otherwise contact me through this forum.
Regards
David Goodey
Old 11-06-2014, 05:53
Vice-Admiral

Gregg - I have a POW J. NOLAN Corporal R.M No. EX1870 POW No. 6159 Camp No. 18A.
Quite what / where Camp 18A is / was located I do not know.

Perhaps this is `your' Nolan ??
Do not know re Sikh & B Gun - Marines `mostly' served X & Y Turret.

DAVID ; if you are looking for a POW I can only go by name & if they were German POW.

Sadsac

Ship Search by Name : Advanced Search
Random Timeline Entry : 21st January 1890 : HMS Hotspur : Capt. T.H. Royce in Command

NAVAL PRINTS

Click above to see our naval art portal - Eight random half price items are displayed to the right.

Some Current Half Price Offers

Nimrod MR2P from 201 squadron based at RAF Kinloss, climbs away under full power during NATO exercises off the west coast of Scotland. The Nimrod has just completed simulated depth charge attacks on the fleet submarine HMS Spartan and is returning to Kinloss for breakfast. Spartan turns and heads for the Clyde Submarine Base at Faslane on the Gareloch.

Good Morning, Spartan by Robert Barbour.
Half Price! - 55.00
 USS Kitty Hawk (CV-63) refuels an Adams class Destroyer during a dusk operation off the Vietnam coast as a pair of E8 Crusaders are readied for launch on the forward catapults.

USS Kitty Hawk by Ivan Berryman. (Y)
Half Price! - 50.00
 The allied invasion of Normandy Operation Overlord was the greatest sea-bourne military operation in history. Key to its success and at the heart of the invasion were the Landings of the British 50th division on Gold beach and the Canadian 3rd Division on Juno beach. They provided a vital link between the landings of the British 3rd Division on Sword beach and the Americans on Omaha and Utah beaches. They were also crucial in securing the beachhead and the drive inland to Bayeux and Caen.
Glosters Return by David Griffin (Y)
Half Price! - 40.00
HMS Eagle and the commando carrier HMS Albion during the withdrawal from Aden in November 1967.  One of HMS Eagles Sea Vixen is passing overhead and RFA Stromness is at anchor in the distance.

HMS Eagle and HMS Albion by Ivan Berryman.
Half Price! - 15.00

To increase the strength of the US fleet in the Pacific during the critical early months of the war, USS Indiana went through the Panama Canal. On the 28th of November 1942 USS Indiana joined Rear Admiral Lee's aircraft carrier screening force. For the next 11 months, USS Indiana helped protect USS Enterprise and USS Saratoga, which had been supporting the US invasion on the Solomon Islands. On the 21st of October 1943 USS Indiana went to Pearl Harbor, but after only a couple of weeks left to support forces designated for the invasion of the Gilbert Islands. The battleship protected the carriers which supported the Marines during the bloody fight for Tarawa atoll. Then, in late January 1944, she bombarded Kwajalein for eight days prior to the Marshall Island landings on 1st February 1944. USS Indiana collided with the battleship USS Washington while refuelling destroyers, killing several men. Temporary repairs to her starboard side were made at Majuro and USS Indiana returned to Pearl Harbor on 13th February 1944 for additional repair work. The painting shows USS Indiana with one of the two carriers she protected.

USS Indiana, First Tour of Duty by Anthony Saunders. (YB)
Half Price! - 230.00
 The second of the Royal Navy's Vanguard Class SSBNs, HMS Victorious is shown in the Gareloch, with the naval base of Faslane in the background.

HMS Victorious Departing Faslane by Ivan Berryman. (P)
Half Price! - 750.00
 HMS Cossack, one of the fast Tribal class destroyers will always be remembered for the daring rescue of 300 prisoners of war from the German Altmark in Norwegian waters. She is shown here departing Grand Harbour, Malta.

HMS Cossack by Ivan Berryman. (Y)
Half Price! - 40.00
DHM1449. Tirpitz Passing Through Kiel Canal by Ivan Berryman.

Tirpitz Passing Through Kiel Canal by Ivan Berryman
Half Price! - 50.00

SPORT PRINTS

Click above to see our sport art portal - Four random half price items are displayed to the right.

Marcus Gronholm.  Peugeot 206 WRC.
Reflections of a Champion by Michael Thompson.
Half Price! - 30.00
Race horses gallop to the finish shown in this racing painting by Mark Churms.

The Finish by Mark Churms.
Half Price! - 20.00

Jason Leonard by Robert Highton. (Y)
Half Price! - 80.00

Jenson Button - Canada 2011 by Stephen Doig. (P)
Half Price! - 240.00

AVIATION PRINTS

Click above to see our aviation art portal - Four random half price items are displayed to the right.

P40 Kittyhawks of No.3 Squadron RAAF based at Ta Qali Airfield, Malta.

Over Grand Harbour by Anthony Saunders.
Half Price! - 20.00
Mosquitos of 105 Squadron, Marham.  No. 105 Squadron, stationed at Marham, Norfolk, became the first Royal Air Force unit to become operational flying the Mosquito B. Mk. IV bomber on 11th April 1942.  The painting shows 105 Squadron on the raid of 10th April 1945, to the Wahren railway marshalling yards at Leipzig, Germany.

Return From Leipzig by Anthony Saunders. (C)
Half Price! - 40.00
 Routine, though essential, maintenance is carried out on a 501 Sqn Hurricane at the height of the Battle of Britain during the Summer of 1940. Hurricane P3059 <i>SD-N</i> in the background is the aircraft of Group Captain Byron Duckenfield. Hurricane P3059 <i>SD-N</i> in the background is the aircraft of <a href=http://www.military-art.com/mall/profiles.php?SigID=1236>Group Captain Byron Duckenfield</a>.

Ground Force by Ivan Berryman (GS)
Half Price! - 290.00
 Completed in 1916, the Resolution was one of the finest capital ships in the Royal Navy, serving in many theatres with her sister ships, Royal Sovereign, Royal Oak, Ramillies and Revenge, she is shown here in 1936.

HMS Resolution by Ivan Berryman. (Y)
Half Price! - 29.00

MILITARY PRINTS

Click above to see our military art portal - Four random half price items are displayed to the right.

Under pressure from Stalin to open a second front in Europe, Operation Jubilee was designed ostensibly as a reconnaissance in force on the French coast, to show the feasibility of taking and holding a major defended port for a day, in this case Dieppe. The plan devised by Lord Louis Mountbatten failed due to inadequate naval and air support, carrying out the landing in daylight and general lack of intelligence of the target. Here new Churchill tanks of the 14th Canadian Tank Regiment (The Calgary Regiment), with men of the Royal Hamilton Light Infantry and Fusiliers Mont-Royals, struggle to fight their way off the beach. Only a handful of men penetrated into the town itself, and eventually the remaining troops were ordered to withdraw. Out of 5086 soldiers who landed only 1443 returned.

Disaster at Dieppe, France, 19th August 1942 by David Pentland. (Y)
Half Price! - 50.00
 Panzer v Ausf. D Panthers of SS Panther Division Das Reich make their debut during the initial stages of the German summer offensive for Kursk. This unit with others of the SS Panzer Korps made the deepest advances into the well-prepared Soviet lines. Complete success however, was to elude them when outrunning their supporting divisions at Prokhorovka they were forced to halt for six days.

Operation Zitadelle by David Pentland. (GS)
Half Price! - 250.00
 Panzer IIs and IIIs of the African Korps, 15th Panzer Division drive towards Arcoma during the epic battles for the Gazala line.

Battle for Gazala by David Pentland. (GL)
Half Price! - 300.00
 M2A4 and M3 tanks of A Company, 1st US Marine Tank Battalion. move out from Henderson Field to support the perimeter from Japanese attacks.

Guadalcanal by David Pentland. (Y)
Half Price! - 295.00