World Naval Ships Forums  
VIEW ALL OF OUR CURRENT SPECIAL OFFERS HERE!

Go Back   World Naval Ships Forums > Naval History > Other Naval Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Other Naval Topics Other general naval or navy-related topics.

Old 21-03-2017, 14:29
Vice-Admiral

Default Re: Modern Navy

"Crushers" is the name we knew them by !!!

Regards

Gerry
Old 21-03-2017, 16:52
Admiral

Exclamation Re: Modern Navy

CYBER WAR GAMES

The Royal Navy is to hold its first large scale cyber war games.Information Warrior 17 will involve Artificial Intelligence (AI) and test the protection of warships and submarines against cyber attacks.
The training will be held during Joint Warrior, a major Nato exercise taking place in and around Scotland from 26 March to 6 April.
This exercise, which is held twice a year, involves thousands of army, navy and air force personnel.
The Royal Navy said Information Warrior 17 would "set the foundations" for cyber warfare in the future "because, as our enemies become more technologically advanced, so must we to combat these threats".
The exercise will involve:
  • Using AI technology to develop a "ship's mind" at the centre of Royal Navy warships. The Navy said this would allow fast, complex decisions to made made automatically making warships and submarines "safer and more effective in fast-moving, war-fighting situations"
  • "Cutting edge" computing technology and unmanned aerial vehicles to help the Navy and Royal Marines to fight in information warfare
  • Using open source intelligence and satellite imagery to "enrich" the intelligence picture of a situation
  • Test the defences of ships and submarines against the risk of cyber attacks on the vessels' combat systems, communications systems, power and propulsion control systems
Continues at - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...lands-39338268
Old 21-03-2017, 17:50
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by gruntfuttock View Post
No, MOD plod now titled MDP (Ministry of Defence Police is a wholly civilian organization.

The Royal Navy Police is now the name of the old Royal Naval Regulating service,
those whom you might remember as the 'Navy Patrol' when you were on a run ashore.
In my experience especially when abroad the shore patrol was made up with men from the ships company. I had the misfortune of being PO of the patrol on several occasions usually armed only with a pussers torch.
Old 21-03-2017, 18:00
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny07 View Post
In my experience especially when abroad the shore patrol was made up with men from the ships company. I had the misfortune of being PO of the patrol on several occasions usually armed only with a pussers torch.
I think that the reason I got lumbered with this job stemmed back to when I was a junior ERA at Orion and threw a dummy hand grenade into the regulating office causing an RPO to break an arm in the rush to get out.
That was when I realised that the reg. branch didn't have a sense of humour.
Old 21-03-2017, 20:03
Vice-Admiral

That was when I realised that the reg. branch didn't have a sense of humour.[/quote]

Oh I dunno Johnny, I think they had a sense of humour, albeit peculiar.

When I got back to ORION, after being towing crew on URANIA, I was greeted by an RPO in Reg. Office, waving a draft chit and saying "Surprise, surprise".......a few weeks later I flew out to Malta and joined SURPRISE.
Old 22-03-2017, 16:16
Admiral

Former First Sea Lord says ‘self-delusional’ government must spend more on defence:

Labour former chief of naval staff and ex-security minister Lord West of Spithead accused the Government of ‘staggering complacency and self-delusion’ over the need for more resources.

‘Our forces remain underfunded,’ he told the House of Lords. ‘Despite what the defence secretary says there is minimal new money.
‘Spending on pensions does not win wars. The 2 per cent of GDP is not a target but the very minimum any Nato nation should spend and I believe our nation should spend more.’

Lord West said the Navy had been underfunded by £250 million a year for the last three years and now required an ‘uplift’ in personnel of about 3,000.

Continues at - http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/news/pol...ence-1-7878553
Old 22-03-2017, 22:01
Vice Commodore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelican View Post
Former First Sea Lord says ‘self-delusional’ government must spend more on defence:

Labour former chief of naval staff and ex-security minister Lord West of Spithead accused the Government of ‘staggering complacency and self-delusion’ over the need for more resources.

‘Our forces remain underfunded,’ he told the House of Lords. ‘Despite what the defence secretary says there is minimal new money.
‘Spending on pensions does not win wars. The 2 per cent of GDP is not a target but the very minimum any Nato nation should spend and I believe our nation should spend more.’

Lord West said the Navy had been underfunded by £250 million a year for the last three years and now required an ‘uplift’ in personnel of about 3,000.

Continues at - http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/news/pol...ence-1-7878553
The comments attached to this article say it all.
Old 23-03-2017, 17:20
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurs View Post
That was when I realised that the reg. branch didn't have a sense of humour.
Oh I dunno Johnny, I think they had a sense of humour, albeit peculiar.

When I got back to ORION, after being towing crew on URANIA, I was greeted by an RPO in Reg. Office, waving a draft chit and saying "Surprise, surprise".......a few weeks later I flew out to Malta and joined SURPRISE. [/quote]

He waved your draft chit at you. Did you notice if his other arm was in a plaster cast?
Old 27-03-2017, 17:07
Admiral

MORE PROBLEMS?

Navy faces subs repair crisis March 26 2017, The Sunday Times From the Business Section:
Construction of the dock is estimated to cost £1bn but is at least a year overdue, insiders say
A crisis is looming over the Royal Navy’s Astute hunter-killer submarines because of delays in the construction of a dry dock to repair them.
The 7,000-ton nuclear-powered submarines, which have been beset by soaring costs, are being built by BAE Systems at Barrow-in-Furness in Cumbria. The fourth of seven Astute class submarines, HMS Audacious, is due to be launched this year. However, multiple sources said the Navy’s ability to deploy the submarines is at risk because of delays in the building of a dry dock to deal with significant repairs. Construction of the dock, earmarked for Devonport naval base in Plymouth, is estimated to cost £1bn but is at least a year overdue, according to insiders.
The first submarine in the class, HMS Astute, which launched in 2010, is due for an overhaul early next decade. “The Ministry of Defence knows they have got to fund it but they haven’t actually got any money,” said an industry source. “There’s no dry dock that can currently take the Astute.”
HMS Ambush, another Astute, crashed last July and is being repaired in the water at Gibraltar.
The Ministry of Defence said: “There is no delay. We continue to explore options for future submarine docking requirements at Devonport. No decisions have been taken and the Royal Navy’s ability to deploy Astute class submarines remains unaffected.”
Old 28-03-2017, 21:33
Admiral

According to local media in Brazil, the Ministry of Defence have offered HMS Ocean for sale to the South American country.

The article, found here, claims that Brazilian officials believe that the price seemed “reasonable” and the Brazilian Navy are examining the prospect “with cautious optimism”.

HMS Ocean is the UK’s only helicopter carrier and the fleet flagship of the Royal Navy. She is designed to support amphibious landing operations and to support the staff of Commander UK Amphibious Force and Commander UK Landing Force.

From - https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/hms-...paig n=social
Old 29-03-2017, 11:24
Admiral

Quote:
According to local media in Brazil, the Ministry of Defence have offered HMS Ocean for sale to the South American country.

The article, found here, claims that Brazilian officials believe that the price seemed “reasonable” and the Brazilian Navy are examining the prospect “with cautious optimism”.

HMS Ocean is the UK’s only helicopter carrier and the fleet flagship of the Royal Navy. She is designed to support amphibious landing operations and to support the staff of Commander UK Amphibious Force and Commander UK Landing Force.

From - https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/hms-...paig n=social
The UK Ministry of Defence has offered amphibious assault ship HMS Ocean for sale to the Brazilian Navy, the media in the South American country wrote.
The UK Defence Journal first noted the reports which said the price of the helicopter carrier was deemed “reasonable” by Brazilian officials.
Following up on the reports, the publication contacted persons currently aboard HMS Ocean and received a confirmation that rumors of sale do exist while there were no further talks on which navy that could be.

From - http://navaltoday.com/2017/03/29/rep...razilian-navy/
Old 31-03-2017, 14:13
Admiral

Forces face shortfall of £10bn as costs soar

Military under pressure as stockpiles dwindle.

See - http://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/fo...soar-wqxts8hn2
Old 09-04-2017, 13:22
Vice Commodore

Future Sea Venom Missile, I do like the capability is has to be aimed at a specific point on its target :-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nc1vbc5N8Ts
Old 11-04-2017, 11:39
Admiral

Royal Marines to lose 200 men so Navy can crew its aircraft carriers

See - http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017...raft-carriers/
Old 11-04-2017, 11:41
Admiral

Royal Navy to tighten security at HMS Excellent in Portsmouth

See - http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/news/def...outh-1-7907763
Old 11-04-2017, 15:14
Vice-Admiral

Quote:
Royal Navy to tighten security at HMS Excellent in Portsmouth

See - http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/news/def...outh-1-7907763
Apart from the famous footbridge?

Edna
Old 11-04-2017, 16:45
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ednamay View Post
Apart from the famous footbridge?

Edna
A couple of comments from elsewhere Edna. I was Chatham so I'm a 'viewer only.'
"HMS Excellent is located on Whale Island-so why is Horsea Island being mentioned? Or am I missing something.
Horsea Island comes under the jurisdiction of HMS Excellent. The defence diving school remains at Horsea plus other activities which require extra security."

Last edited by Pelican : 11-04-2017 at 16:46. Reason: Addition
Old 12-04-2017, 09:13
Vice Commodore

Whichever way you try and spin it, the RM's are still being cut. Just not as much as they feared.:-

http://www.forces.net/news/navy/cuts...navy-reshuffle

http://www.defenceonline.co.uk/2017/...s-restructure/
Old 12-04-2017, 11:07
Vice-Admiral

Quote:
A couple of comments from elsewhere Edna. I was Chatham so I'm a 'viewer only.'
"HMS Excellent is located on Whale Island-so why is Horsea Island being mentioned? Or am I missing something.
Horsea Island comes under the jurisdiction of HMS Excellent. The defence diving school remains at Horsea plus other activities which require extra security."
Yes, sounds like the usual total confusion - has someone lost Whale Island in the mist (or the mud)?

Between the Navy and the local authority, someone needs to distinguish and arbitrate !

Edna
Old 21-04-2017, 13:59
Vice Commodore

Large missile order for CAMM and Meteor :-

http://www.defense-aerospace.com/art...C2%A3539m.html
Old 23-04-2017, 08:24
Vice Commodore

Another solution, or just more delays for our struggling destroyer and frigate programme ?

http://www.defencesynergia.co.uk/def...use-it-better/
Old 24-04-2017, 03:43
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by gruntfuttock View Post
Another solution, or just more delays for our struggling destroyer and frigate programme ?

http://www.defencesynergia.co.uk/def...use-it-better/
A very interesting article - in many ways it echoes the problems with and possible solutions for the ongoing problems with obtaining new warships for the Canadian navy.

I particularly like this description of the current process in the UK " ... the historically incoherent way in which the MoD deals with the acquisition of new equipment."
Old 25-04-2017, 13:59
Vice Commodore

Written defence answers 25th April :

Asked by Sir Nicholas Soames
(Mid Sussex)
Asked on: 18 April 2017
Ministry of Defence
Warships: Shipbuilding
To ask the Secretary of State for Defence, for each Royal Navy ship and submarine on order, what is the planned launch date; what progress has been made on the sea trials and commissioning; what his most recent estimate is of the cost of each such order; and if he will make a statement.
A
Answered by: Harriett Baldwin
Answered on: 25 April 2017

HMS Queen Elizabeth was floated out of dry dock in July 2014, is expected to start sea trials this summer and will be accepted into the Royal Navy later in the year. HMS Prince of Wales is expected to be floated out in 2017 and commence sea trials in 2019. The final cost of both Queen Elizabeth Class aircraft carriers will be subject to commercial negotiations with the Aircraft Carrier Alliance towards the end of the contract in 2019. I am therefore withholding our current outturn cost estimate as its release would prejudice the commercial interests of the Department.

The Ministry of Defence (MOD) has also ordered five Offshore Patrol Vessels. The first ship, HMS Forth, was floated out in August 2016 and is currently completing final preparations for Contractor Sea Trials (CST). The second ship, HMS Medway will be floated out this summer. Construction of the remaining three ships is under way following the cut steel ceremony to mark the start of the build programme for the fifth ship, HMS Spey, on 21 April 2017. All five ships will enter service by 2021 at a total cost of £635 million which includes the cost of support.

The first of the four Military Afloat Reach and Sustainability (MARS) Tankers, RFA Tidespring, launched in April 2015 and is currently undertaking UK customisation work ahead of Capability Assessment trials later this year. On current plans, RFA Tidespring will enter service with the Royal Fleet Auxiliary by the end of 2017. The remaining ships Tiderace, Tidesurge and Tideforce have all been launched. Tiderace undertook the majority of her CSTs in January 2017, and will complete them by mid 2017. The remaining two ships are expected to undertake their CSTs later this year. The MOD’s current planning assumption is that all four MARS Tankers will enter service by the end of 2018. The programme is correctly forecast to deliver approximately £45 million under the approved budget of £595 million.

Four Astute class and the first Dreadnought class submarines are currently in production.

I am withholding information on their respective planned launch dates, details of sea trials and commissioning activity as disclosure would, or would be likely to prejudice the capability, effectiveness or security of the Armed Forces.

I am also withholding forecast cost information for the Astute class submarine programme, however I refer the Rt hon. Member to the answer I gave on 7 February 2017 to Question number 62350 to the hon. Member for Bridgend (Madeleine Moon) which gives the latest published figures for actual expenditure on the programme up to financial year 2015-16.

For information regarding the latest forecast cost for the Dreadnought class submarine programme I refer the Rt hon. Member to the reply given by my noble Friend, the Minister of State, the Earl Howe, on the 6 June 2016 to the noble Lady, Baroness Jones of Moulsecoomb, in the House of Lords to Question HL328.

20170207_62350_MOD_Expenditure_for_the_programme (Word Document, 22.76 KB)
HL328_WQnA_extract_on_MOD_Trident_Submarines (Word Document, 14.52 KB)

Last edited by gruntfuttock : 25-04-2017 at 14:35.
Old 25-04-2017, 14:06
Vice Commodore

Further to the above, this is the most telling.

Asked by Sir Nicholas Soames
(Mid Sussex)
Asked on: 18 April 2017
Ministry of Defence
Warships: Shipbuilding
To ask the Secretary of State for Defence, what contracts have been placed by the armed services for ship building in the last 12 months; and what such contracts are proposed to be placed in 2018-19.
A
Answered by: Harriett Baldwin
Answered on: 25 April 2017

In December 2016 the Ministry of Defence ordered the two additional Offshore Patrol Vessels announced in the 2015 Strategic Defence and Security Review.

The contract for the first batch of the eight planned Type 26 Global Combat Ships is expected to be agreed by mid-2017 and for manufacture to start this summer.

The dates of future orders have yet to be agreed.
Old 02-05-2017, 10:24
Vice Commodore

The complete RN strength in 2017 !!!!!

http://imgur.com/yYZpOy0

Ship Search by Name : Advanced Search
Random Timeline Entry : 2nd January 1979 : HMS Hecate : At Plymouth