World Naval Ships Forums  
VIEW ALL OF OUR CURRENT SPECIAL OFFERS HERE!

Go Back   World Naval Ships Forums > Naval History > Other Naval Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Other Naval Topics Other general naval or navy-related topics.

Old 23-03-2010, 12:59
Lieutenant-Commander

Default Re: HMS Vernon

Just a short walk from Vernon, those big shady trees outside the Duchess of Kent had about 50% ocupancy after dark. A matelot never needed to be alone in that road.

Paddy.
Old 23-03-2010, 15:47
Rear-Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy View Post
when did the NAAFI and the Duchess of kent go from top right.
Paddy
Duchess of Kent and Victoria Barracks (see pictures) closed down in the early 1960s. A very small part of it is now the Portsmouth City Museum but most of it was redeveloped as the Pembroke Park estate. Portsmouth Grammar School remains in the top left hand corner.

Site of Victoria Barracks today

Rob
www.mcdoa.org.uk

Old 23-03-2010, 17:22
Lieutenant-Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Hoole View Post
Duchess of Kent and Victoria Barracks (see pictures) closed down in the early 1960s. A very small part of it is now the Portsmouth City Museum but most of it was redeveloped as the Pembroke Park estate. Portsmouth Grammar School remains in the top left hand corner.

Site of Victoria Barracks today
Great pics Rob but my memory was always looking up at victory barracks and the Duchess of kent, we did not have Google earth in those days.
Also my orientation is a bit out, I visualise walking from Vernon gate to the NAAFI then with Vernon behind me the NAAFI would be on the left with the Duchess oposite.
If the trees botom right of the top pic are the ones I spoke of it puts me wrong way round.
Which tree was your's.
Paddy
Old 23-03-2010, 19:03
Rear-Admiral

Paddy,

If you follow Museum Road upwards and to the left, then cross the roundabout at the top of the High Street coming up from old Portsmouth, you will eventually arrive at Vernon's main gate.

The extension of Pembroke Road at the bottom of the picture eventually hits the High Street opposite the Cathedral and eventually leads to Vernon's back (south) gate.

Rob
www.mcdoa.org.uk

Old 23-03-2010, 20:06
Lieutenant-Commander

Quote:
Paddy,

If you follow Museum Road upwards and to the left, then cross the roundabout at the top of the High Street coming up from old Portsmouth, you will eventually arrive at Vernon's main gate.

The extension of Pembroke Road at the bottom of the picture eventually hits the High Street opposite the Cathedral and eventually leads to Vernon's back (south) gate.
Yes,,, sort of getting there now, I will dig out my old portsmouth map and compare.
Paddy.
Old 24-03-2010, 01:37
Admiral

Interesting trial carried out by HMS Vernon Officers that took place on 21st Jan 1890

Published in the Times 22nd Jan 1890
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1890 January 22.jpg (93.9 KB, 32 views)
Old 24-03-2010, 10:31
Admiral

Nice one Dave .... someone was definitely thinking ahead at that time.

I still think of the HMS Vernon and cringe on our infrequent visits to Gunwharf as it is now. As you enter thru the old Main Gate with the Jaunty's Office to the left and Captain's House to the right I can still hear the old man's wife complaining about the noise of libertymen returning. But that memory is dimmed when you sit in the Captain's Office having a pint.

Dave H
Old 24-03-2010, 10:35
Admiral

HMS Vernon? Nowadays? Do you mean that monstrous block of flats ("desirable residences")?

Don't think I'll ever move back to Pompey!!!

Edna
Old 24-03-2010, 10:38
Admiral

Oh my, don't tell me you would stand in the way of progress Edna ?

Only kidding, put the rolling pin down. I agree with you wholeheartedly.

Dave H
Old 24-03-2010, 11:53
Rear-Admiral

I may be bucking the trend but I think they've done an exceptionally good job with the marina, shopping centre, housing development and leisure centre that is now Gunwharf Quays, especially with the Spinnaker Tower. When my wife and I visited the development soon after its opening, she felt far more emotion than me, probably because all three of our children were christened in the diver's helmet in Vernon's tiny chapel of St Adjutor and she had particularly fond memories of the friendly atmosphere and mess staff at the family Sunday lunches, balls, dinners, parties and other events like the annual Searchlight Tattoo. I was much less affected even though I had two Vernon-based ships, undertook several courses there and served on the staff in many different training posts, much of the time as a single 'liver-in'. You can't hold on to the past forever and things must inevitably change, especially with a shrinking navy like ours. There were far more unpleasant alternatives for the use of the site than what we see now, a modernised yet historic area open to the general public.

The developers have rebuilt the north wing of Vulcan building and replaced the clock tower, both victims of the Blitz. They have also retained Ariadne building (the admin block, now the Old Customs House pub), the Old Infirmary, the Lock-Keeper's Cottage at the top of the Creek and the dockside crane. My ex-US Navy American brother was most impressed when I took him there for lunch outside one of the terrace bars on a sunny summer's day.

The Director of Gunwharf Quays is extremely sympathetic to the RN and has tried to acquire various artefacts to reflect Gunwharf's naval past; he even surveyed Prince Charles' minehunter HMS Bronington with a view to putting her alongside but the cost of restoration would be prohibitive. His videos of Bronny can be seen on You Tube here but have your hankies at the ready:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_cGaNjqQ_g

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsZWOGDYMc4

Rob
www.mcdoa.org.uk

Old 24-03-2010, 11:58
Admiral

Apart from the Blocks of Flats I agree with you Rob. My wife like Gunwharf as do I.

Dave H
Old 24-03-2010, 12:27
Rear-Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Hutson View Post
Nice one Dave .... someone was definitely thinking ahead at that time.

I still think of the HMS Vernon and cringe on our infrequent visits to Gunwharf as it is now. As you enter thru the old Main Gate with the Jaunty's Office to the left and Captain's House to the right I can still hear the old man's wife complaining about the noise of libertymen returning. But that memory is dimmed when you sit in the Captain's Office having a pint.

Dave H
Hello Dave,

The original Captain's House (Vernon House) was just inside the back (south) gate but it was destroyed during the Blitz. This is where the infamous 'Bone of Contention' arose. Submariner libertymen kept the Captain awake as they returned in the wee small hours to take the ferries from Vernon back across the harbour to Dolphin. This led to an annual competition between the submariner officers' long course and the Torpedo (later TAS) officers' long course which culminated in the presentation of a huge silver inlaid bone on a plinth to the victors at a mess dinner. The result was engineered so that the venue alternated each year. During 'away' years, Vernon's Long Course hosted Excellent's Long 'G' Course at an 'Olympiad'. As with the 'Bone of Contention', the venue alternated each year and the silly games culminated in a mess dinner.

The Captain of Vernon subsequently moved into Donegal Lodge, the Chaplain's house just inside the main gate.

Rob
www.mcdoa.org.uk

Old 24-03-2010, 14:32
Commander

Thankyou for this thread and all the great images on it.
I also like what they have done to Vernon, a lot of people dismissed the tower and complex as being a waste of money and doomed to failure. I am pleased that they are wrong as it is more popular than ever. I do however have the age old fault of looking at what used to be my parent establishment through rose coloured specs and wistfully remembering times gone by.
In reality most divers avoided Vernon like the plague and couldn't wait to get away from it, still a matelot is never happier than when he is moaning about something.
As this website sometimes proves
Old 24-03-2010, 15:23
Rear-Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob shayler View Post
These are some views, (one at the far end showing the Isle of Wight car ferry terminal) of what used to be HMS Vernon, now Gun Wharf Quays. Hopefully, Bob can sharpen these up as well. Bob, I would be gratefull if you could tell me how you do it,
regards,
Bob
Bob,

The Isle of Wight car ferry is in the Camber which was never part of HMS Vernon. Apart from fising vessels, it also housed Vosper Thornycroft's Broad Street Yard (link):

Rob
www.mcdoa.org.uk

Old 24-03-2010, 16:12
Admiral

Thanks for setting the record straight Rob

Dave H
Old 25-03-2010, 12:07
Admiral

[quote=Rob Hoole;107123]Bob,

The Isle of Wight car ferry is in the Camber which was never part of HMS Vernon. Apart from fishing vessels, it also housed Vosper Thornycroft's Broad Street Yard.

Apart from Vosper Thornycroft, The Camber also housed Channel Transporters (Portsmouth) Ltd (shippers) and Care Lines (Cardiff) (wharfingers), who together shipped, offloaded and arranged carriage for cauliflowers and onions from Brittany, potatoes and tomatoes from Jersey, and holly and mistletoe from wherever! British Road Services had a depot there, the French onion 'boys' rented garages (and often slept in them!) to plait and store their strings of onions and, of course, there was the old coal-fired generating station and its overhead conveyor belt which scattered coal dust in every direction. Oh, and the Harbour Master had his office over No. 10 shed, where the other onions were stored!
Old 26-03-2010, 09:37
Rear-Admiral

Thanks for the extra information Edna. Can you remember where the bananas arrived too?

Rob
www.mcdoa.org.uk

Old 26-03-2010, 14:51
Admiral

Quote:
Thanks for the extra information Edna. Can you remember where the bananas arrived too?
Yes, Rob, I am pretty sure they too were carried by Channel Transporters, but, by that time, I had left them to work in local government.

CTP used to charter vessels to do their shipping; for the Channel Islands, they chartered from ??Ipswich, a firm who named all their ships after members of the family - Gladonia, Jackonia, two others I can't remember. There might be evidence of their past!

For Britany, they chartered from Holland, primarily the Ellewousdijk (pronounced Ella-woosh-dike) - again, there may still be traces!

I was not involved with the charter parties, my job was to copy with claims!!!!! Amazing, how many crates of cauliflowers got broken!!!

Edna
Old 27-03-2010, 15:51
Admiral

PS While googling around, I found a picture of mv Gladonia - try
photoship.co.uk/JAlbum%20Ships/Old

There is also a postcard up for sale on eBay, but I couldn't get anywhere with Stevonia and Jackonia; I wouldn't even think about the Ellawotsit (which is what our transport staff used to call the Dutch lady!)

My, how the time has flown!

Edna
Old 25-04-2010, 21:03
Admiral

Introduction to the new torpedo called "The Victoria Torpedo"

Posted in The Times on 15th August 1890
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1890 August 5 The Victoria Torpedo.jpg (670.7 KB, 4 views)
Old 27-04-2010, 02:58
Admiral

The Sims-Edison Torpedo

Reported in The Times on 4th Feb and 17th Feb 1892
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1892 February 4 The Sims-Edison Torpedo.jpg (771.5 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg 1892 February 17 The Sims-Edison Torpedo.jpg (343.8 KB, 1 views)
Old 07-10-2010, 10:47
Lieutenant-Commander

One good thing about Vernon is that it is not far from the Duchess of kent where many a matelot (who shall remain nameless) would while away many an evening savoring all sorts of delights under the shelter of the big trees which line the road outside.

I paid a visit to the Portsmouth museum and record office a few weeks back researching my wife's father and grandfather who lived in Reginald Road, Southsea and it was more than an hour of reading documents before I realised that I was sitting in the Duchess of kent barracks but then, I had never seen the inside before.

It was also handy for the NAAFI over the road.
Old 29-11-2010, 14:33
Leading Seaman

Smile Re: HMS Vernon

Quote:
Ladies and Gentlemen,

HMS Vernon's Badge

HMS Vernon seems to have had two ship's badges in its time:

I would like to know when the more familiar second badge superseded the first. I suspect it was in 1961...
Hi Rob,

It was 1962 - here (attached) is the entry from 'Admiralty Badges' (CD ROM) by TP Stopford.

I didn't know this until you contacted me recently to point out there was a war-time one, I shall be amending my site to show the right one.

Tony Drury
http://www.royalnavyresearcharchive.org.uk/
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Vernon1.jpg (76.0 KB, 16 views)
Old 29-11-2010, 18:40
Rear-Admiral

Thanks Tony,

That's solved a riddle that's been puzzling me for some time.

Rob
www.mcdoa.org.uk

Old 07-04-2011, 17:27
Chief Petty Officer

Default Stone Frigates

Spent many a happy and not so happy hour at HMS Vernon in the 70's and 80's. Long gone now, the site used as a shopping centre.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HMS Vernon Creast.jpg (7.9 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg Vernon_Aerial_1977.jpg (135.8 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg Vernon_Main_Gate_1977.jpg (134.2 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg Vernon_Waterfront_c.jpg (384.6 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg Vernon_Creek_1974.jpg (256.6 KB, 44 views)

Ship Search by Name : Advanced Search
Random Timeline Entry : 18th January 2003 : HMS Campbeltown : Devonport