World Naval Ships Forums  
VIEW ALL OF OUR CURRENT SPECIAL OFFERS HERE!

Go Back   World Naval Ships Forums > Naval Books > Naval Book Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Naval Book Forum Discuss naval books here.

Old 20-03-2017, 09:18
Sub-Lieutenant

Default Cheap Amazon Kindle Offers

For anyone interested (and without going in to a Book v Kindle debate) it looks like Amazon UK are offering some titles at very cheap prices for Kindle. One that I have found is British Destroyers & Frigates: The Second World War & After by Norman Friedmann at just 99p. Anyone who has this book in the traditional format can confirm just how large this book is so 99p is a bargain, Kindle or not.
Also...
Rebuilding the Royal Navy: Warship Design Since 1945 (D.K Brown & G Moore) - 99p
Fighting the Great War at Sea: Strategy, Tactic and Technology (Norman Friedman) - 99p
The Battle of the River Plate: The First Naval Battle of the Second World War (Gordon Landborough) - 99p
Schnellboote: A Complete Operational History (Lawrence Paterson) - 99p
Battle-Cruisers: A History 1908-48 (Ronald Bassett) - 2.99 (or Free on Kindle Unlimited)

...and so on. I have no idea how long these offers will go on for.
Old 20-03-2017, 11:01
Vice Commodore

Default Re: Cheap Amazon Kindle Offers

A caveat to huck216's information about buying kindle versions of interesting RN reference books at very cheap prices.

They are electronic versions of actual books made for Amazon/kindle devices. You cannot print any part of the book or illustrations. It is possible to read them, and to a degree, zoom any illustration to see greater detail. However, you cannot have multiple 'windows' open from the book to switch from text about a particular ship/item and the picture itself.

For 99p, or there abouts, a kindle version makes interesting reading, a several steps above an entertaining read. However, for more serious study, you cannot beat the actual book.

A further possible caveat, I have only downloaded a sample on to a kindle fire device. The actual kindle file is going to be large, so will occupy a large amount of memory space. I doubt that the standard kindle paperwhite device could cope. The later generations of kindle fire ought to cope but the file size is likely to be an issue.

Is it possible to read / examine these books successfully on a laptop or desktop computer? Probably or very likely, however I haven't tried. Can any part of them be printed or seen in multiple windows? Again, I don't know but it could be worth trying.

For 99p plus, probably worth a go to see if the kindle book(s) version is suitable for your purpose.

Missy
Old 20-03-2017, 11:36
Sub-Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheppeyMiss View Post

A further possible caveat, I have only downloaded a sample on to a kindle fire device. The actual kindle file is going to be large, so will occupy a large amount of memory space. I doubt that the standard kindle paperwhite device could cope. The later generations of kindle fire ought to cope but the file size is likely to be an issue.

Is it possible to read / examine these books successfully on a laptop or desktop computer? Probably or very likely, however I haven't tried. Can any part of them be printed or seen in multiple windows? Again, I don't know but it could be worth trying.

Missy
For the first point above I have downloaded them all to my Kindle App on my android phone (I currently have 40 different books downloaded to the app) and there are no problems with regards to file size and so it wouldn't be an issue if you download them to a Kindle app on a tablet which will also give you a bigger page size compared to my phone. I suppose it all comes down to file management.

For the second point, no idea as I don't have a tablet as I find my phone is fine for when I want to read 'on the go'.

Last edited by hucks216 : 20-03-2017 at 12:29.
Old 20-03-2017, 12:35
Vice Commodore

Quote:
Originally Posted by hucks216 View Post
For the first point above I have downloaded them all to my Kindle App on my android phone (I currently have 40 different books downloaded to the app) and there are no problems with regards to file size and so it wouldn't be an issue if you download them to a Kindle app on a tablet which will also give you a bigger page size compared to my phone. I suppose it all comes down to file management.

For the second point, no idea as I don't have a tablet as I find my phone is fine for when I want to read 'on the go'.
I beg your pardon, huck216, if I spoke out of turn.

Missy
Old 20-03-2017, 14:00
Sub-Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheppeyMiss View Post
I beg your pardon, huck216, if I spoke out of turn.

Missy
Of course you didn't. I was just explaining for those who might not be familiar with Kindle that there is a way to access these books on the various platforms.
I happily admit for 'proper' reference books it is better to have the 'traditional' book in hand (although the Search & Bookmark facilities on Kindle are handy) but if you just want a book to read then the Kindle is a handy alternative.
I have my books on my shelves at home but if I am out and about and need to check something then I just pull my phone out of my pocket and away I go.
Old 21-03-2017, 21:30
Lieutenant-Commander

I have Kindle on my laptops (two of them) and two tablets. I used to have it on my desktop too. I can download a Kindle book on any of those devices and it will be available on each device. I can read a book on one device and switch to another and carry on where I left off. As Hucks said, there are some bargain price Kindle books but also lots of free ones. The free ones are usually old books, often the classics; for example, I downloaded the Life of Samuel Johnson by James Boswell. Using Kindle is great. I love it although I still like to have a real book in my hand.

Peter
Old 22-03-2017, 11:23
Vice Commodore

Agree with huck216 and Peter about the advantages of owning kindle devices, happily possess several. However, do prefer your actual book for detailed study / satisfying curiosity.

iPhones; OK for text messages, being nagged at by callers, email, calendar and directions. Reading books, sadly no; eyesight not good enough. Plus tendency to drop phone or trip over stray children, dogs and husband.

Missy

Ship Search by Name : Advanced Search
Random Timeline Entry : 15th January 1935 : HMS Eagle : Arrived Gibraltar