World Naval Ships Forums  
VIEW ALL OF OUR CURRENT SPECIAL OFFERS HERE!

Go Back   World Naval Ships Forums > Naval History > German Ships and Crews
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

German Ships and Crews Topics relating to a specific German ship or ships.

Old 06-11-2007, 19:36
Admiral

Location: I now live in Telford having moved into Shropshire in 1964.
Default SMS Baden

The SMS Baden was a latecomer to Scapa Flow and when the order to scuttle came she was beached before she sank.
This is what became of her afterwards.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Battleship Baden.jpg (121.4 KB, 236 views)
File Type: jpg Baden.jpg (135.4 KB, 118 views)
Old 12-01-2008, 11:21
Sub-Lieutenant

Default Re: SMS Baden

Was the baden beached, I'm sure i've dived the baden guns at scapa - were's my log book
Old 12-01-2008, 11:27
Sub-Lieutenant

It was the Bayern guns not the Baden, quite correct Batstiger.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg smsbayern.jpg (56.6 KB, 96 views)
Old 26-04-2010, 13:06
Ordinary Seaman

Default SMS BADEN

LINIENSCHIFF BADEN
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 25_128909_df58684233df528.jpg (290.0 KB, 190 views)
Old 26-04-2010, 18:00
Forum Moderator

Default Re: SMS BADEN

A great photo - many thanks for posting it my friend.

HMS BADSWORTH [HUNT CLASS DESTROYER]
Old 26-04-2010, 19:55
Forum Moderator

Thread merged with existing previous thread.

"Strive for perfection in everything you do. Take the best that exists and make it better. When it does not exist, design it." - Sir Henry Royce
Old 02-07-2016, 10:07
Ordinary Seaman

Hello everyone, this is my first time posting here, I'm wondering if anyone can help me with information on Baden.

I can't find any information on when modifications were made on Baden through her short career. I'd like to know when Baden received the following modifications:

•When the modification to the position below the Rangefinder position on the foremast was made, and it's name.
•When D turret was fitted with a rangefinder
•when his fore and aft sets of 8.8cm FlaK were fitted

I know it's a shot in the dark but I appreciate any help.

Thanks in advance

Bayonet Wound.
Old 02-07-2016, 12:08
Commander

Bayonet Wound,

On the assumption that you have no German, your best References will be Volume 1 of the English translation of the big 8 volume German work by Erich Gröner. This was published by Conway and is now out of print. I may not have the title correct but it is something like "German Warships 1815 to 1945).

The second Reference will be the second volume of the ships of the world's navies, again published by Conway. This covers the period 1906 to 1921 (approximately).

Other information can no doubt be found but it is likely to be in German. You might like to try one of the specific interest websites other than this one.

I am afraid that I do not have the References that I do have to hand and will not be able to answer any further queries for a couple of weeks anyway: sorry! If no-one else has jumped in before then and you have had no success by that time, I will then try to give you the information you want.

GK
Old 21-07-2016, 11:13
Commander

Bayonet Wound,

Further to my last post, I have consulted a larger number of References since my return from absence: some German and some English, with the exception that I have yet to consult the second volume of the Conway work about the ships of the world's navies that I mentioned.

Now, I don't know how much you know about SMS BADEN so I may be "teaching my granny how to suck eggs" here and furthermore, I am unable to give you any precise dates, however, here is what I can give you.

BADEN eventually had three platforms on the foremast: SMS BAYERN only two. From the top they were: the rangefinder platform, the gunnery control platform (Artillerieleitstand in German) and the auxiliary observation platform. The ship appears to have been completed with the first and third items as I have a photograph in a German book that appears to have been taken while the vessel was on trials showing these fittings in place. From interpretation of the "evidence" that I have, the gunnery control position was fitted in early 1917 but I cannot be more precise than that and there is no further information in any of the German books that I possess.

Concerning the rangefinder position on "D" turret and I presume that you are referring to the stucture on top of the gunhouse here: it was actually fitted to "C" turret. I can give no date but suggest that it was probably late 1917 or 1918. I can find no reason as to why such an item was fitted to this ship, BAYERN never received one. Whatever the case, it appears to have been a 3metre base rangefinder like the one in the after conning tower.

Regarding the 88mm BAK mountings: the ships were designed to be fitted with eight of these (in four paired groups) but never appear to have been fitted with the full number. From photographic evidence based on what the ship was carrying when she was surrendered to internment, BADEN was carrying the aftermost of the port forward pair and the foremost of the port after pair. She had none on the starboard side. For further information BAYERN was carrying the port after pair with (apparently) none on the starboard side.

The fitting of the 88mm BAK mountings appears to have been somewhat erratic, not to mention eccentric in their positioning, on German capital ships during the war.

That is as much as I can give you I am afraid. The information may be available elsewhere but it is not available in the publications I possess.
I fear that your only hope is that somewhere, a German knows and can help further, however, there is where I must leave it.

I hope this helps.

Best Wishes,

GK
Old 01-08-2016, 01:34
Ordinary Seaman

Thank you so much! You have been most helpful , your are of course correct on the rangefinder being on c turret, not d turret, silly mistake.

All the best

Bayonet Wound.
Old 01-08-2016, 11:14
Commander

Bayonet Wound

Many thanks. No problem with the mix up over turret designation.

I did eventually manage to consult the last Reference that I mentioned: "Conway's All the World's Fighting Ships 1906 - 1921."
It unfortunately gives no further information on the matters that you asked about. That said, the BAK mountings are mentioned but it is imprecise about numbers and when.

I am sorry that I cannot provide the information that you seek.

Best Wishes,

GK
Old 15-03-2017, 15:23
Ordinary Seaman

Hello again, I was wondering I anyone knows if Baden was launched with the Baden crest mounted?

Thank you again

Bayonet Wound
Old 20-03-2017, 11:10
Commander

Bayonet Wound,

I have checked the German Reference that I have, which claims to show BADEN being launched. She did not have a bow badge mounted (at least not on her port side), nor did she have any garlands of greenery hung. She never carried a bow badge in service either.

GK

Ship Search by Name : Advanced Search
Random Timeline Entry : 15th January 1919 : HMS Britomart : Sailed Bombay for Karachi