World Naval Ships Forums  
VIEW ALL OF OUR CURRENT SPECIAL OFFERS HERE!

Go Back   World Naval Ships Forums > Other Shipping & Maritime Topics > Merchant Ships
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Merchant Ships Merchant ships, liners and civilian vessels.

Old 01-06-2015, 02:17
Admiral

Default Re: Modern Cruise Liners.

These actually are somewhat of the "floating hotel" concept - but two things set these liners apart from all those look-alike cruise-boxes:

1. all three are designed for trans-Atlantic crossings - QE & QV, while being based on the Vista cruise-ship design, have specific modifications (including a stronger bow) for higher-speed trans-Atlantic sailing, and have done so periodically.

2. The use of a dark hull and red funnel - instead of the "all-white" favored for most of those "floating hotels". This helps them look like proper ships, and I hope Carnival (owner of Cunard since 1998) never decides to get rid of.
Old 01-06-2015, 11:27
Vice-Admiral

Personally, I don't think I would like to spend a holiday in a floating Tower Block ! Even with all those wonderful facilities - which would be shared with however many other people !

Edna
Old 01-06-2015, 12:08
Vice-Admiral

Exclamation Re: Modern Cruise Liners.

Personally I regard the cruise liners as dangerous floating hotels. Their height makes me wonder about their stability and what their metacentric height is ? Built lighter to fit more people in ? The mind boggles.

I do not believe they can get 3000 passengers plus 3000 crew safely to the lifeboats. In an emergency, no power thus no lifts, elderly passengers getting down 10 decks, crowding into the lifeboats, in the dark, ship with a 10 degree list, up to their waist in water, etc. The mind cannot imagine a worst scenario. .

The last holiday place I would like to be is in a floating hotel with 6000 other people. However, each to his own and obviously they are popular.

Let us hope and pray there is never an emergency.

Brian
Old 01-06-2015, 13:14
Rear-Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Salt View Post
Personally I regard the cruise liners as dangerous floating hotels. Their height makes me wonder about their stability and what their metacentric height is ? Built lighter to fit more people in ? The mind boggles.

Let us hope and pray there is never an emergency.

Brian
I have been on a cruise once, for my honeymoon in 1975. It was on the vessel below, sorry it's not such a good picture, with Swan Hellenic. It was a superb cruise, probably enhanced by the fact we had just got married.
The ship is the MV Orpheus, then operated by Epirotiki Lines. She probably does not count as a modern cruise ship, but if there were still some like her I would probably go again.
Steve
Attached Images
File Type: jpg orphfot.jpg (33.6 KB, 22 views)
Old 01-06-2015, 13:29
Admiral

Agreed Steve .... she still looks like a ship and there are still a good few like her around.

However, totally agree with Brian . These companies are competing with each other on size , splendour , service , opulance but a what cost. Yes , they are plush and offer everything the punter can dream of but , how long before we see a disaster , hopefully never. Then again heavy lorries don't expect to get blown over on a motorway .

Damage Control ......... must be a Captain's worst nightmare.

Dave H
Old 02-06-2015, 04:35
Admiral

Quote:
Brian
That big block is hollow - it has very large open internal spaces, such as the Grand Lobby in MS Queen Victoria (see below).

In the larger Voyager class can be found:
Quote:
These ships include a 350-foot (110 m) indoor mall known as the Royal Promenade, featuring indoor pubs, shops, cafes, and bars. Activity options on all five ships board include a basketball court, at least 3 pools, a mini-golf course, a rock wall, an ice skating rink and, originally, an inline skating track.
Quote:
I do not believe they can get 3000 passengers plus 3000 crew safely to the lifeboats. In an emergency, no power thus no lifts, elderly passengers getting down 10 decks, crowding into the lifeboats, in the dark, ship with a 10 degree list, up to their waist in water, etc. The mind cannot imagine a worst scenario. .
Brian
How about the Harmony of the Seas, Oasis of the Seas, and Allure of the Seas (5,400+ passengers at double occupancy & 2,400 crew)?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 602px-QV_sculpture_on_board_copy.JPG (191.3 KB, 16 views)
Old 02-06-2015, 08:27
Admiral

Would look great in Vegas but on the high seas in a typhoon ...... jeeze.

Just look what nine inches of water sloshing around a car ferry deck can do. I am not convinced of the longterm safety and stability on these gin palaces.

Dave H
Old 14-01-2017, 20:38
Sub-Lieutenant

I see this thread has gone quiet, I make the assumption that there are not many here who enjoy cruising. I was sceptical too, but ... nothing ventured nothing gained. So off we went in 2005 on Queen Mary 2 and we're still at it.

We only sail Cunard (QM2, QV or QE), they cater mainly for adults (big plus), we book 'last minute' or offers, that way you get the best price. There are a myriad of activities to partake in - or nothing if you don't want to - you can do one thing and your better half can do her thing. Choices!
My suggestion - book a short 7 day cruise starting in Southampton and ending in Southampton. Take your own car, they park it for you and it's there when you return. Easy! No faffing around airports getting your hackles up.

Arrive, unpack, lifeboat drill then Golden Lion pub for a Windsor Tonic or a pulled Speckled Hen, or when sailing away from The Rock the same from the Lido Bar on the aft deck ... as you hark back to the days of Empire!
Old 14-01-2017, 21:29
Rear-Admiral

A video of the three Royal Caribbean Oasis Class ships (World's largest cruise ships) together. Each one displaces over 225,000 tons.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TIYWpYNWdZo

Last edited by Surfgun : 14-01-2017 at 22:23.
Old 15-01-2017, 09:39
Sub-Lieutenant

Hello all,
Just like Marius, myself and my wife have a little bit of cruising. Thus far only two; no1 being a 3 day taster on P&O's Arcadia and no2 (just recently) a 7 day trip on Thomson's Thomson Spirit.
Enjoyed both trips, introduced my wife to a life on the ocean wave and also revisiting old runs ashore from many years ago. Big plus: not having to get up and turn-to

Alan G
Old 13-03-2017, 00:34
Lieutenant

I also have grave fears of a successful evacuation in an emergency on these floating blocks. I was also amazed on how little there was of these ships under the surface. You wouldn't get me on one of these 'ships'.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg block.JPG (55.3 KB, 14 views)
Old 13-03-2017, 14:58
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstary1 View Post
I also have grave fears of a successful evacuation in an emergency on these floating blocks. I was also amazed on how little there was of these ships under the surface. You wouldn't get me on one of these 'ships'.
Me too, I wonder if they would manage. My preference would be to have one of those cabins next to that line of lifeboats, with the lifeboat being part of the cabin veranda and anyone boarding would have to come through my cabin, after I had boarded .

Jim
Old 14-03-2017, 06:30
Vice-Admiral

Never been on one, never likely to go on one, because if I ever went to sea again, I would like to do so in a SHIP, not a floating block of flats!

Strikes me, most cruise liners MAY be ok, but look VERY top heavy and I certainly wouldn't like to see how they performed in real "roughers".........actually did see pics of one, somewhere on the Internet, that had been in a storm, but nothing that the average Type 14 Frigate would have worried about!

Those who want to cruise and enjoy them........fine............not for me thanks.
Old 14-03-2017, 08:42
Sub-Lieutenant

Gentlemen you are being overly pessimistic about cruising on a large ship. You will mostly only be in your stateroom (cabin is not a fair description) for the purposes of resting body and soul - that is after 10pm at night. All rooms have individually controlled air-conditioning and sound proofing is excellent. A real haven with fridge, multi channel TV, settee, coffee table and two chairs, balcony with table and chairs and fresh sea air.
You receive a daily multipage program telling you of all and everything happening on-board, what time, where to go and the huge bonus of you can do one thing whilst your better half can do her thing, it is really a holiday of choices.
Pick your cruise liner (the ship or cruise company) you sail with, with care. Different cruise liners (companies) cater for different age groups and clientele. We have thus far only sailed on the three Queens, you will know which I mean. Also refer post #33 further up.
Soon we will be able to once again show our (hopefully) blue passports (yes ) as we sail the seven seas ... can't wait!
Old 14-03-2017, 20:58
Vice Commodore

A friend of mine went on a cruise a couple of years ago and said that when they had the boat drill it was terrifying, it was a pile up of zimmer frames and infirm people clogging up all the exits. In a real emergency it would have been a disaster. Blue passports to oblivion...
Old 15-03-2017, 06:42
Sub-Lieutenant

Well ... if the purpose of the holiday is hoping the ship will sink, or that the airplane will fall out of the sky, or the Eurotunnel springs a leak, then yes one is better off staying at home. Then again even at home you may face floods or power failures or ... or ...

Life was not meant to be easy.

Our next cruise is hopefully to the Baltic and St Petersburg, unless Vlad spoils our plans of course.

On a more serious note - choose your cruise company carefully, I cannot stress that enough. Don't sail bargain bottom basement, you will get what you paid for.
Old 19-03-2017, 20:06
Rear-Admiral

In 2016, The Anthem of the Seas (168,000 ton) survived a storm (Hurricane Hermine) with 112 mph winds with some sizable 40 ft. waves.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IQyX2LKjqkg

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GISxxqmqW9I

Last edited by Surfgun : 19-03-2017 at 22:39.

Ship Search by Name : Advanced Search
Random Timeline Entry : 12th January 1934 : HMS Danae : Capt. C.H. Knox-Little in Command