World Naval Ships Forums  
VIEW ALL OF OUR CURRENT SPECIAL OFFERS HERE!

Go Back   World Naval Ships Forums > New Members > Introductions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Introductions Introduce yourself to our community

Old 19-03-2017, 10:25
Ordinary Seaman

Default Hello

Hello, I am a new member Dave Pickering, 81 y.o.
I was not in the Royal Navy, I did my National Service in the 3rd Royal Tank Regiment in Germany 1953/55.
My reasons for joining are this, my older brother Alan, sadly no longer with us, joined at HMS Ganges in 1948. He then went to Devonport. His ships, as far as I remember were, St. James, Diana, Unicorn (A/Carrier) and Cumberland.
A further reason is that, on doing family history I discovered that our Great Grandfather, who was born in Devon, was a regular in 19th Century. I think he was on HMS Cambridge , but not 100% sure. I found out recently that he was, after retirement, on HMS Wellesley when it was off the shore of North Shields.
I am currently trying to find more about that.
Any help would be appreciated.
Old 19-03-2017, 18:33
Forum Moderator

Default Re: Hello

Hello Dave and a warm welcome to the Forums. You are assured of plenty of help with your research here and we look forward to seeing your posts. What was the name of your great grandfather, and do you have any other info about him, ie, date and place of birth, etc.

Jim
Old 22-03-2017, 14:44
Ordinary Seaman

Jim,
Thanks for the welcome. Having moved house fairly recently I'm still sorting things out. However, I can tell you that my G/G/father was born in Callington, Cornwall in 1833. Until I get to my other files I can't give the exact date of birth. After serving as a regular in the RN he went to South Shields, I believe he was pensioned out of the RN. He already had 4 children, then there was a gap of 5 years after which they had 3 more. i am assuming, rightly or wrongly, that he went to SS on his own to establish housing etc. It was whilst there that he joined the Wellesley. My Grand Father was born in Devonport whilst his father was in the RN.
My G/G/fathers name was Robert Marsh.
Dave.
Old 22-03-2017, 15:22
Forum Moderator

Hello Dave and thanks for the reply and information for him. Do you have a copy of his service record? I did a quick search of the National Archives site and could not find a match for a Robert Marsh born Callington.

Jim
Old 22-03-2017, 22:22
Admiral

Exclamation Re: Hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davepick View Post
Hello, I am a new member Dave Pickering, 81 y.o.
I was not in the Royal Navy, I did my National Service in the 3rd Royal Tank Regiment in Germany 1953/55.
My reasons for joining are this, my older brother Alan, sadly no longer with us, joined at HMS Ganges in 1948. He then went to Devonport. His ships, as far as I remember were, St. James, Diana, Unicorn (A/Carrier) and Cumberland.
A further reason is that, on doing family history I discovered that our Great Grandfather, who was born in Devon, was a regular in 19th Century. I think he was on HMS Cambridge , but not 100% sure. I found out recently that he was, after retirement, on HMS Wellesley when it was off the shore of North Shields.
I am currently trying to find more about that.
Any help would be appreciated.
Hello Dave welcome.

There is a Ganges thread on this site - http://www.worldnavalships.com/forum...ead.php?t=1268

There is a HMS GANGES Association - http://www.hmsgangesassoc.org/ - you can view some sections of the site but will need to join to view and post on others.

There is a HMS Ganges Museum - https://www.hmsgangesmuseum.com/ - they can provide you with 3 copies of the Shotley Magazine covering 1948 on a memory stick for 15 incl. p & p.
It covers everything that happened at Ganges in that year but check you brother's date of entry as you may want parts of 2 years e.g. June 1948 - May 1949.
The Museum also has a large photo on line archive. If you type the appropriate words in the Search Box e.g. 1948, you might get a surprise. Warning the more words the more responses.
https://ehive.com/collections/5987/hms-ganges-museum

There are also Facebooks Groups for both which you can view but will need to join to post on them.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/hmsganges/
https://www.facebook.com/hmsgangesmuseum1/?fref=ts

I think that is enough for now. I was a 49'er. There are still many pre war Ganges Boys around and of course post war ones. Good luck in your search.
Old 25-03-2017, 12:32
Ordinary Seaman

Jim,
Just had a look at what I have to hand. My G/G/father was actually born in Devonport, it was his wife (my G/Gmother who was born in Callington
The 1881 census at South Shields gives his age as 48 and his occupation as 'Seaman Instructor'. That was the period when I believe he was on Wellesley.
Dave.
Old 25-03-2017, 18:56
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davepick View Post
Jim,
Just had a look at what I have to hand. My G/G/father was actually born in Devonport, it was his wife (my G/Gmother who was born in Callington
The 1881 census at South Shields gives his age as 48 and his occupation as 'Seaman Instructor'. That was the period when I believe he was on Wellesley.
Dave.
That narrows it down, but I only found two records for that name and place of birth, take a look here.
He is most likely the first of the records.

Jim
Old Yesterday, 14:45
Ordinary Seaman

Jim,
Thanks for that. yes i agree that the 1st one is right, even given the DOB.
I do know that he served on HMS Cambridge.
My Grand father, Robert Marsh junior, 2 of his sisters and one brother (all older) and a younger sister were born at Moricetown, 1865 to 1874. So I think he was in the Navy then.
I have printed the download and will peruse it.
Regards,
Dave.
Old Yesterday, 14:56
Forum Moderator

Pleased to help Dave. You are welcome to add the record to this thread and we will endeavour to explain its contents to you.

Jim
Old Today, 10:56
Ordinary Seaman

Question Re: Hello

Jim,
Thanks. I'm not very good at this, how do I attach the file?
I have sent the file to a couple of cousins, haven't heard if they managed to download them.
Dave.

Ship Search by Name : Advanced Search
Random Timeline Entry : 13th January 1937 : HMS Cairo : Sailed Torbay for exercises