World Naval Ships Forums  
VIEW ALL OF OUR CURRENT SPECIAL OFFERS HERE!

Go Back   World Naval Ships Forums > Naval History > Japanese Ships and Crews
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Japanese Ships and Crews Topics relating to a specific Japanese ship or ships.

Old 06-12-2017, 16:56
Commodore

Default Re: Battleship Yamashiro wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlankDestroyer View Post
A remarkable find and ship. These small destroyers built in record time proved to be fairly versatile and did fill a gap years later when exigencies demanded with some innovative modifications.
Yeah those old four pipers sure did their share, and more, some IIRC lasting out the whole war!

Should you care to read about their contribution / sacrifice during the early war years and Java Sea area battles in particular then I highly recommend the newish book by author / historian Don Kehn entitled; In the Highest Degree Tragic: The Sacrifice of the U.S. Asiatic Fleet in the East Indies during World War II.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Highest-Degree-Tragic-Sacrifice-Asiatic/dp/1612348203/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1512576922&sr=8-1&keywords=In+the+Highest+Degree+Tragic%3A+The+Sac rifice+of+the+U.S.+Asiatic+Fleet+in+the+East+Indie s+during+World+War+II

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlankDestroyer View Post
Kevin what was the stated goal of this expedition ....Finding Lost Naval Ships or were there multiple research objectives?
Well it seems Mr Deep Pockets (and more power to him!) Paul Allen is intent on finding every lost naval ship in the 'Pacific' from WWII! (Track record so far, HIJMS Musashi, USS Indianapolis, etc, etc.)

So expect plenty more un-thought of discoveries, as a few Jap DD's (and a US or two?) in Ormoc Bay itself IIRC, and I think next, or so the grape vine goes, he, or his team should I say, will head for Leyte Gulf (i.e. The Battle off Samar) and who knows what he finds there. As there be dragons too (i.e. some US destroyers and even a US carrier!).

And if / when he finds them he still has a long list seemingly committed to finding 'elsewhere'. So, surprises galore ahead me-thinks!
Old 06-12-2017, 18:51
Sub-Lieutenant

Thanks KD. Not sure where the appropriate thread is for this anyway but they seemed tied by the discovery passion of men like Paul A?

Yes these threads have spurred my interest in that period whether talking about Japanese, HMS Exeter or USS Houston. Even more profound was my conversation a few years back with a sailor from the USS Marblehead which was thrown into the Asiatic Fleet fray. Miraculously the ship survived the perilous one sided fight and long transit home.

And while I am rambling I cannot but think of the possibility of USN LCSs being cast into the same cauldron on some remote and unsupported duty in troubled waters. Just thinking!
Old 09-12-2017, 18:17
Sub-Lieutenant

The sonar image of the Ward wreck is intriguing...looks like a huge crater at what I assume is the stern! Amazing!
Old 15-12-2017, 20:35
Commodore

Well more surprises as predicted. According to RV Petrel's Facebook page, the wreck of the 'experimental' Japanese DD HIJMS Shimakaze (and also the USS Cooper, another DD!) have now also been located by them in Ormoc Bay!

Go get em boys!!!

Ship Search by Name : Advanced Search
Random Timeline Entry : 2nd January 1934 : HMS Colombo : Sailed Colombo for Bombay