World Naval Ships Forums  
VIEW ALL OF OUR CURRENT SPECIAL OFFERS HERE!

Go Back   World Naval Ships Forums > Everything Else > Everything Else
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Everything Else Serious non naval and non maritime subjects - 'Shore Leave' is for chat.

Old 09-11-2015, 12:12
Rear-Admiral

Default Re: Remembrance Day

I attended the parade in Gosport at the War Memorial Hospital as usual. Well done as always, and a good turn out.
That is the one day that I am able to parade my grandfather's medal, and I am proud to do so. The weather was good here, so for the first time in six years the medals were not hidden by a raincoat.
Steve
Old 11-11-2015, 10:59
Forum Moderator

We will remember them
Old 11-11-2015, 12:06
Vice-Admiral

Today is my home help day, so we sat down together at 11 am to remember.

Edna
Old 14-11-2015, 15:01
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Steer View Post
My wife (ex-WRNS) and I attended at our village memorial to the fallen today as usual despite the rain. As retired service personnel we are always honoured to be asked to take the salute to our village war dead; a tradition, and I always find it a very moving experience.
Today I get to wear my grandfather's war medals, my dad's and my own and I feel very proud to do so. Three successive generations of matelots!
Last night I watched the Festival of Remembrance and I got very emotional listening to our amazing young men and women recount their tales of bravery and to share the sorrow of the young war widows. Sadly, Mr. Corbyn who was also watching, didn't appear to feel the same things that I did.
Yes I thought the same Jan .........but then I expect nothing less from him

Very moving service , never missed one yet
Old 17-10-2017, 06:09
Admiral

SOVIET MEMORIAL TRUST FUND
MEMORIAL TO THE 27,000,000 SOVIET WAR DEAD 1941-1945Geraldine Mary Harmsworth Park, London Borough of Southwark(adjacent to the Imperial War Museum, Lambeth Road, SE1 6HZ)
Act of Remembrance – Sunday 12 November 2017 - 12.30pmYou are cordially invited to an Act of Remembrance at the Soviet War Memorial in London on Remembrance Sunday, 12 November 2017 starting at 12.30pm. Participants should gather in front of the main entrance to the Imperial War Museum, Lambeth Road, SE1 6HZ by 12.15pm. From there they will process to the nearby Memorial.

The Mayor of Southwark, diplomats from the Embassies of the CIS countries, veterans and supporters of the Memorial will be present. An RSVP is not essential – you are welcome to simply come along on the day. However, if you intend to lay a wreath, or to bring the standard of your organisation, please respond to this email as soon as possible.

The ceremony is expected to last roughly 30 minutes. Please note that for this ceremony there will be no temporary seating at the Memorial. Although we generally advise using public transport, there is limited parking on Lambeth Road and several nearby streets. You can also check directly with the Imperial War Museum regarding the availability of a disabled parking space at the rear of the Museum.

ADVANCE INFORMATION: Next year, the SMTF/Southwark Council Holocaust Memorial Day event will take place on FRIDAY 26 JANUARY (not 27 Jan). Details will be sent out in early January 2018. The Victory Day ceremony will take place as usual on WEDNESDAY 9 MAY.

If you have any questions about the ceremony or the SMTF in general, please do not hesitate to get in touch, preferably by email to: smtf@hotmail.co.uk .

Ralph Gibson
Hon Secretary
Soviet Memorial Trust Fund
Direct Work Tel: 020 7370 3002 (at Rossiya Segodnya)

SMTF 320 Brixton Road London SW9 6AB
Tel: 020 7274 2282 | Eml: smtf@hotmail.co.uk | Web: http://www.scrss.org.uk/sovietmemorial.htm

tim
Old 18-10-2017, 17:54
Forum Moderator

Many thanks for the information Tim.

Jim
Old 14-11-2017, 19:42
Vice Commodore

Not exactly a Remembrance Day post, but close in timing and content. The story overall is sad, but the current fracas is horrifying. Please read all the way.

In Kingston, Ontario, Canada, an historic dry-dock, pump house etc. stood on the waterfront with the retired Coastguard ship “Alexandra Henry” in the dock. The pump house buildings were home to the superb Marine Museum of the Great Lakes.

The federal govt. offered the city the opportunity to purchase the whole thing for one dollar. Concerned at the possible cost of contaminant cleanup, the city said “No” and a local developer bought the site for a substantial sum.

The Alexander Henry is now gone, the Marine Museum left as it could not afford the new rent and the developer has unveiled plans for a 20-storey apartment building on the vacant part of the site.

At the head of the dry dock is Kingston’s Navy Memorial Park, whose site was part of the overall package. In order to make adequate emergency vehicle access to the 20-storey tower, the developer has produced a plan for a road through the Memorial Park, splitting it in two and substantially reducing the size. It isn’t very big anyway.

Kingston’s naval connections go back at least 250 years and it is still very much a military town today. There is outrage amongst old buffers like me at the fact someone actually thought they could make a proposal like this.

If you feel strongly, say so here and I can give suggestions as to who should know. We may need all the help we can get.

Mike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Navy memorial park.jpg (79.5 KB, 15 views)
Old 14-11-2017, 22:17
Admiral

A sad reflection on the attitude of the powers that be that have allowed this to happen Mike .

My feeling is that very few if any of our Politicians have ever served in uniform or been exposed to the dangers experienced by the Men and Women they are quite happy to send in danger's way . We have , as you must have , our share of politicos who are only interested in their own little careers and what they can cream off.

Someone should be shouting from the rooftops at this action and taking action to stop the memories of the men and women on that memorial being trampled under , but who among them is man enough to take up the baton.

Can't do much from this side of the pond Mike except voice our condemnation of their decision and hope something positive is done.

Dave H
Old 15-11-2017, 14:00
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Hutson View Post
A sad reflection on the attitude of the powers that be that have allowed this to happen Mike .

My feeling is that very few if any of our Politicians have ever served in uniform or been exposed to the dangers experienced by the Men and Women they are quite happy to send in danger's way . We have , as you must have , our share of politicos who are only interested in their own little careers and what they can cream off.

Someone should be shouting from the rooftops at this action and taking action to stop the memories of the men and women on that memorial being trampled under , but who among them is man enough to take up the baton.

Can't do much from this side of the pond Mike except voice our condemnation of their decision and hope something positive is done.

Dave H
I second that Dave, the developers should hang their heads in shame at such a proposal, and the Planning Authority should refuse the application outright.

Locally, I attended the Remembrance Day service at my local war memorial. I put together a slideshow of the names of the men who died in the First World War and uploaded it to YouTube here, where you are welcome to view it, although I should say that its length is 40 minutes.
Southwick-on-Wear is where I was born and grew up and, until 1928, it was a small township in the urban district of Sunderland. The loss of 397 men in such a small community must have affected every family in the township.
I am working on a similar project for World War Two, but I currently only have half as many names for that. A great difficulty is that fact that Southwick-on-Wear became a part of Sunderland in 1928 and from that time, people tended to register their place of birth as Sunderland, rather than Southwick.

Jim

Jim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4786.jpg (809.3 KB, 7 views)
Old 15-11-2017, 16:38
Admiral

Jim , The more we do to keep their memories alive I find the youngsters of today taking an interest . History as we know it is not taught in schools possibly because of the PC Brigade thinking it offends our former enemies and ethnics.

The turnout on Plymouth Hoe this year was tremendous and I was privileged to read he KOHIMA at the Service of Remembrance.

Later I held my annual Service of Remembrance for the Far East Prisoners of War where we invited three youngsters in the crowd to lay our Poppy Wreath.

I think our responsibility is to "KEEP ALIVE THE SPIRIT THAT KEPT THEM ALIVE"

Dave H
Old 15-11-2017, 17:34
Admiral

As a civilian member of this Forum, with many friends serving and retired in HM forces and a son due to leave Bomb Disposal soon, I feel embarrassed at my fellow non combatants and their apparent "Ah that was years ago attitude "and their convenient memories

I view with pride every time our lads and ladies war efforts are brought to the front and to this day acknowledge remembrance day where ever We are and with whom ever we may be with

I have never missed any of the services shown on the television or the Albert Hall British Legion service of remembrance and find it both moving and emotional to witness .

We would both love to go to visit either service but understand that they are booked years in advance so thats unlikely to happen sadly .

I get very angry at the attitude of those who decry the broadcasting of these events and contempt for their lack of respect for what the services did to preserve our peaceful state.... and Government which whilst I acknowledge its many faults and short sighted attitude towards the UK's Defence Budget has assisted in maintaining peace to the populous of our shores whilst they in general demand anything and everything they can beg borrow or steal from others who provided it for them to enjoy without recognition

No doubt I will be keel hauled by some for MY comments on this topic ....but I couldn't give a dam
Old 15-11-2017, 20:19
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbryce1437 View Post
I second that Dave, the developers should hang their heads in shame at such a proposal, and the Planning Authority should refuse the application outright.

Locally, I attended the Remembrance Day service at my local war memorial. I put together a slideshow of the names of the men who died in the First World War and uploaded it to YouTube here, where you are welcome to view it, although I should say that its length is 40 minutes.
Southwick-on-Wear is where I was born and grew up and, until 1928, it was a small township in the urban district of Sunderland. The loss of 397 men in such a small community must have affected every family in the township.
I am working on a similar project for World War Two, but I currently only have half as many names for that. A great difficulty is that fact that Southwick-on-Wear became a part of Sunderland in 1928 and from that time, people tended to register their place of birth as Sunderland, rather than Southwick.

Jim

Jim
The completed version for World War Two here. I never tire of listening to the backing music.

Jim
Old 16-11-2017, 06:39
Admiral

i couldn't find this thread a day or two ago so posted the photos of 11-11 in Moscow on the Belfast thread (Russian connection) which others might like to look at. This is generally privately celebrated but this year it was officially supported by most embassies as you will see from the uniforms. Nice to see our old boys who come to London for Victory day in evidence, and still looking remarkably robust.
tim
Old 16-11-2017, 18:41
Vice-Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbryce1437 View Post
The completed version for World War Two here. I never tire of listening to the backing music.
Very sympathetically done and moving Jim.

"To be ignorant of what occurred before you were born is to remain always a child. For what is the worth of human life unless it is woven into the life of our ancestors by the records of history?" - Cicero.

Ship Search by Name : Advanced Search
Random Timeline Entry : 2nd January 1921 : HMS Concord : Arrived Mersina