World Naval Ships Forums  

Go Back   World Naval Ships Forums > Medals > Medals
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25-11-2017, 14:33
davidrn's Avatar
davidrn davidrn is offline
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Pembroke
Posts: 1,402
Default An India General Service, clasp Burma 1885-7 to HMS Woodlark

BASS. George William, Petty Officer 1st Class

India General Service medal, clasp Burma 1885-7 – as Leading Seaman HMS Woodlark
Also received The Egypt Medal un-dated no clasp to Woodlark (not held)

George William Bass, was born in Gosport, Hampshire on the 6th February 1856
On the 22nd February 1871 he joined the Navy as a Boy 2nd Class (entered on HMS Impregnable).
On the same date, he signed, on the Royal Adelaide, Volunteering to serve for 10 years Contracted Service as from 6th Feb. 1874 (his 18th birthday).
This was also noted as being his first entry in the Royal Navy, his trade (on his 1873 papers) being noted as Errand Boy.
On the 6th February 1884, he signed for a further 10years to complete his pensionable service.
He was Pensioned on the 16th March 1894.
On the 2nd May 1894, he signed for a noted third period of 5 years, and stating that he was a member of the Seaman Pensioner Reserve.

His Service Progression was:-
Boy 2nd Class – 22nd February 1871 to 31st March 1872.
Boy 1st Class – 1st April 1872 to 5th February 1874.
Ordinary Seaman – 6th February 1874 to 31st October 1876.
Able Seaman – 1st November 1876 to 6th January 1882.
Leading Seaman – 7th January 1882 to 28th May 1882.
Able Seaman – 29th May 1882 to 4th February 1884.
Leading Seaman – 5th February 1884 to 18th June 1884.
Petty Officer 2nd Class – 19th June 1884 to 29 August 1884.
Petty Officer 1st Class – 30th August 1884 to 10th October 1884.
Leading Seaman – 11th October 1884 to 12th November 1886.
2nd Captain of the Fore Top – 13th November 1886 to 14th September 1887. (PO 2nd Class)
Captain of the Fore Castle – 15th September 1887 to 1st January 1895. (PO 1st Class)
Able Seaman Pensioner – 4th March 1895 to 8th June 1896. (To shore invalided).

His Service Afloat was:-

HMS Royal Adelaide – 22nd February 1871 to 11th November 1872.
HMS Narcissus – 12th November 1872 to 24th July 1874.
HMS Royal Adelaide – 25th July 1874 to 1st March 1875.
HMS Achilles – 2nd March 1875 to 31st March 1875.
HMS Warrior – 1st April 1875 to 17th January 1876.
HMS Duke of Wellington – 18th January 1876 to 28th September 1876.
HMS Shah – 29th September 1876 to 31st July 1878.
HMS Turquoise – 1st August 1878 to 27th October 1881.
HMS Royal Adelaide – 28th October 1881 to 14th March 1882.
HMS Belleisle – 15th March 1882 to 14th September 1883.
HMS Royal Adelaide – 15th September 1883 to 26th October 1883.
HMS Britannia – 27th October 1883 to 11th November 1883.
HMS Royal Adelaide – 12th November 1883 to 22nd February 1884.
HMS Woodlark – 23 February 1884 to 25th March 1887.
HMS Royal Adelaide – 26th March 1887 to 14th September 1887.
HMS Himalaya – 15th September 1887 to 30th November 1890.
HMS Vivid – 1st December 1890 to 15th January 1891.
HMS Impregnable – 16th January 1891 to 20th March 1892.
HMS Vivid I – 21st March 1892 to 7th April 1892.December 1890 to 15th January 1891.
HMS Impregnable - 8th April 1892 to 16th March 1894.
HMS Vivid I – 2nd May 1894 to 28th June 1894.
HMS Lion – 29th June 1894 to 26th July 1894.
HMS Vivid I – 27th July 1894 to 10th September 1894.
HMS Crescent – 11th September 1894 to 31st December 1894.
HMS Orlando – 1st January 1895 to 5th November 1896.
HMS Mildura - 6th October 1895 to 7th June 1896.
HMS Vivid I – 8th June 1896 to 8th June 1896 – Invalided.

HMS Royal Adelaide – 22nd February 1871 to 11th November 1872.

22nd February – Joined HMS Royal Adelaide, acting as Flag Ship of the Port Admiral at Devonport and port Depot, ship.

HMS Narcissus – 12th November 1872 to 24th July 1874.

12th November – Joined HMS Narcissus, a 28-gun wooden screw frigate of 1859 commanded by Captain Captain John Ommanney Hopkins and acting as flag ship of Rear-Admiral Frederick Archibald Campbell, commanding the New Flying (Detached) squadron now forming.
28th November – The ship was undocked after having her defects made good and on the 5th December tested her machinery.
12th December – The Narcissus and Topaze left Devonport and joined the rest of the squadron at Portland.
18th December – The squadron left on a short cruise, in search of any vessels that may have been disabled by the late gales. Due to the gales, the ships put into Plymouth sound on the 20th.

16th January – The Narcissus, Topaze and Aurora, left Plymouth for Vigo (they arrived on the 27th), the Doris, Immortalite and Endymion, are to join them there.
6th February – The squadron left Vigo for Barbados. They arrived on the 4th March, 19 days from Madeira. The Narcissus and Doris both have Typhoid fever on-board, the Narcissus also has about 50 men suffering from boils and ulcers, thought to have been caused by the water taken at Vigo. The Doris embarking all the invalids and transporting them to Bermuda, on their passage one death is said to have occurred, that of a marine from the Narcissus. The squadron was to have left Barbados on the 14th March for Trinidad en-route for Port Royal.
24th March – The squadron sailed from Trinidad, to call in at St Vincent, St Lucia, Martinique (arrived 5th April and left on the 11th), Dominica (arrived on the 11th), Guadeloupe (arrived on the 14th) Antigua, Nevis and St Kitt’s, and arriving at St Thomas on the 29th April.
3rd May – The squadron left St Thomas for Jamaica.
14th May – The squadron arrived at Port Royal. They left on the 26th for Bermuda.
17th June – The ships arrived at Bermuda.
7th July – The squadron arrived at Halifax, they have orders to leave for Gibraltar on the 19th.
8th August – The ships arrived at Gibraltar and anchored in the Bay. The crews were landed on the 26th and 27th for Light Infantry drill on the North Front. They were still reported there on 3rd September, Leaving on the 5th, with orders to call in at all Spanish ports in the Mediterranean and afterwards they are to visit Sardinia, Corsica and Sicily and then carry on to Malta.
10th September – The squadron were reported to have left Malaga sailing eastward.
23rd September – Due to the Civil unrest in Spain (a civil war had broken out), the Narcissus, Lord Wardon, Hart and Endymion are at Alicante and three French Ironclads have orders to act with Admiral Yelverton. It was reported that the rest of the detached squadron arrived at Alicante on the 26th.
4th October – The Narcissus, Endymion and the Immortalite moved from Alicante to Valencia. The ships then moved on to Barcelona on the 10th. The Narcissus and the Endymion left Barcelona on the 27th.
6th November – The detached squadron arrived back at Valencia. The Narcissus, Endymion and Topaze then moved on to Almeria.
6th December – The British press reported that the Narcissus, Topaze and Endynion were to call at Escombrera.
9th December – The Narcissus was back at Gibraltar when the USS Shenandoah arrived there.
31st December – The Narcissus (now being referred to as the flagship of Rear-Admiral G. G. Randolph) and the Immortalite, left Gibraltar sailing to the eastward. The Narcissus is said to be going to Malta, to refit for further service.

15th January – The Narcissus (Captain Edward Stanley Adeane), Doris and Endynion arrived at Malta.
March – The detached squadron left Malta for Corfu, Athens, Smyrna, Rhodes, Suda and return to Malta at the end of April. They arrived back on the 30th.
7th May – The squadron were to leave Malta for Palermo, Cagliari, Port Mahon, Gibraltar and then to England (Devonport).
3rd July – The ships arrived back in Plymouth Sound and the Narcissus was Paid-off on the 24th.

HMS Royal Adelaide – 25th July 1874 to 1st March 1875.

HMS Achilles – 2nd March 1875 to 31st March 1875.

2nd March – Joined HMS Achilles, a 16-gun?, an Iron screw, Broadside Ironclad frigate at Portland, commanded by, Captain Radulphus B Oldfield, who was superseded on the 8th, by Captain William H Whyte. Captain Oldfield is to be Captain of the Devonport steam reserve.
31st March – The crew of Captain Whyte’s ship, the Royal Alfred, are to be turned over to HMS Warrior and the Officers and crew of HMS Caledonia, are to be turned over to the Achilles. Both these changes will take place on the 1st April.

HMS Warrior – 1st April 1875 to 17th January 1876.

1st April – Joined HMS Warrior, the ship being commissioned on this day at Portsmouth, as the coastguard ship at Portland, replacing the Royal Alfred. The Warrior is commanded by Captain William H Whyte (Captain Whyte, his officers and men were all handed over from the Royal Alfred, to the Warrior).
6th May – The Warrior was inspected and sailed for Portland, to take up her duties as the area Coastguard ship. She took part in the August and September summer cruise of the Naval Reserve Squadron and she was part of the squadron when the Iron Duke rammed and sank the Vanguard in thick fog off Dublin Bay on the 1st September.

HMS Duke of Wellington – 18th January 1876 to 28th September 1876.

Flagship of the Port Admiral at Portsmouth

HMS Shah – 29th September 1876 to 31st July 1878.

29th September – Joined HMS Shah, a 26-gun Un-armoured Iron Screw Frigate of 1873, commanded by Captain Frederick G D Bedford, fitting out at Portsmouth for service on the Pacific station. 2nd October – The ship proceeded to Spithead, to prove her compasses and take on powder and shell. She is to undergo a six hour trial and also a measured mile trial. Some torpedo experiments are also to be made later in the month.
Well all her defects that showed up on her trials have been corrected, the Shah is departure is held up due to the Russian Turkish conflict and it is thought that she may be diverted from the Pacific to the East.
1st November – The ship underwent another six hour trial and returned to Spithead.
6th November – The Shah is said to be discharging her powder and shell, to return to harbour due to problems with part of her machinery. The ship was later removed to the dockyard.
27th November – The Shah steamed out of Portsmouth harbour on a 24 hour trial of her machinery, she returned to Spithead. It was reported that she behaved well, the ship has also been fitted with additional torpedo gear in the shape of and outrigger capable of extending some 50 feet from her side. The whole work was completed on the 9th December and on the 10th, she left port for Gibraltar, where she will receive her final orders as to her destination (the Pacific or Besika Bay). She arrived on the 20th and awaits orders.

19th January – The Shah at Gibraltar was reported to have broken down, with both of her piston rods of the main engine bent. It seems that she arrived at Gibraltar after encountering very rough seas on her way and the piston rods problem was discovered on her arrival.
24th January – The ship was to leave Gibraltar for Rio de Janeiro. She was reported to have arrived at Madeira on the 28th and leaving on the 29th.
3rd February – The Shah arrived at St Vincent, she sailed again on the 5th.
2nd March – The Shah arrived off Montevideo. She left on the 10th March with the Volage wich was sailing to the Falkland Islands. The Shah Entered the Straits of Magellan March 18th and reached the Pacific on March 23rd.
2nd April – The ship arrived at Valparaiso. She is furnished with Whitehead and Harvey torpedo’s and is now Rear-Admiral de Horsey’s, Pacific squadron flagship, also her machinery is still giving trouble.
11th April – The Admiral, left Valparaiso for Coquimbo, where he would remain for about 14 days and then on the 28th sailed for Caldera, Callao, Arica, Pisagua, Iquique, Payta, Panama, Acapulco, San Francisco, Esquimalt.
22nd May – The Shah was at Arica.
1st June – A telegram from Iquique bearing this date reported that, “the rebel turret ship Huascar, having committed piratical acts against British subjects, the Shah and Amethyst engaged her off Yeo on the 29th. She escaped in the dark”. The report goes on to say that the Huascar, was so badly damaged that she surrendered to the Peruvian squadron (which I think is not correct).
Clowes writes:-
"Having put to sea for the purpose, the Rear-Admiral sighted the Huscar, off the town of Yeo on the afternoon of May 29th, and summoned her to surrender. This summons the commanding officer refused to entertain. The Shah then fired, first a blank cartridge, and then a shotted charge, but, the Huascar still refusing to surrender, a steady and well-sustained fire from both the Shah and Amethyst was directed against her. The fight was partly in chase and partly circular, the distance between the combatants being, for the greater part of the time, from 1500 to 2500 yards. The time employed in the engagement was about three hours, the fight being terminated by darkness coming on and the Huascar running close in shore where the Shah could not follow, consequent upon her greater draught. Of the projectiles thrown from the English ships, it is reported that some seventy or eighty struck the ironclad, principally about the upper decks, bridge, masts, and boats. One projectile from a heavy gun pierced the side on the port quarter 2 feet above the water, where the armour was 2 or 3 in. thick, and brought up against the opposite side, killing one man and wounding another. Two other projectiles dented in the side armour to the extent of 3 inches. The turret was struck once by a projectile from the heavy guns of the Shah. It was a direct blow, but penetrated 3 inches only. The hull showed that several 64-pr. shot had struck it, only leaving marks. When at close quarters which the Huascar sought for the purpose of ramming, the Gatling gun on the Shah's fore-top drove the men from the quarter-deck guns of the former. On one of these occasions a Whitehead torpedo was launched at the ironclad, but, as she altered her course at about the same instant, the torpedo failed to strike its mark."
Another writer states:-
“As the Huascar went about the Shah fired a Whitehead self-propelled torpedo at her from one of her deck-mounted tubes, but as the torpedo’s speed was only nine knots, and the Huascar was steaming at least ten in the same direction, no hit was scored”.

Note, The period from the 4th to 15th June 1877 George Bass spent in the “Cell’s”

21st July 1877 – The ship was at San Francisco, she left on the 28th.
4th August – The Shah arrived at Esquimalt. She is to have her machinery inspected with a view to fixing her defects. It was also reported that she is to have her armament increased but the gun fittings will have to be sent out from England.
October – The Shah, with the Admiral was to leave Esquimalt about the end of the month, for the southern portion of the station. It was thought that she may call in at Concepcion and Valparaiso.
Panama later advised that the Shah would leave Victoria (Vancouver Island) on the 1st November and sail direct to Valparaiso.
A later report stated that the ship would leave Esquimalt on the 14th November for the coast of Chile, calling in at Tahiti.
15th December – The ship arrived at Tahiti. She was to sail on the 22nd for Conception.
Note, The Shah also visited Pitcairn Island, but I am not sure if it was at this time.

17th February – The ship was at Valparaiso, it is reported that on her way south she lost 700 sheets of copper from her bottom and is likely to be held up for some months.
25th February – The Admiral left very suddenly in the Shah for Coquimbo with the Penguin. They arrived on the 3rd March.
A Royal Society Bronze Medal, was later awarded to Boatswains Mate M. Robinson for a life saving act off Panama on the 11th May.
14th May 1878 – The ship sailed for Acapulco. She arrived on the 21st, and sailed on the 30th under orders, due to a Revolution breaking out in Mexico, for San Francisco, where she arrived on the 10th June.
15th June – The ship sailed for British Columbia.
20th June – The Shah was at Esquimalt. She was still reported as being there on the 20th July.
25th July - HMS Turquoise arrived at Vancouver Island
1st August – The Shah sailed for San Francisco.
HMS Turquoise – 1st August 1878 to 27th October 1881.

1st August – Joined HMS Turquoise, a 12-gun composite screw corvette of 1876, commanded by
Captain George Robinson
6th July – The ship arrived at San Francisco, she left on the 19th for Esquimalt / Vancouver this was the time of the danger of war between England and Russia, due Russia’s designs in the Balkans and England’s lack of adequate defences in the Pacific Coast of Canada.
25th July – The Turquoise arrived at Esquimalt.
August to December – The Turquoise was at Esquimalt.

Note, The period from the 4th to 19th October 1878 George Bass spent in the “Cell’s”

23rd October – Admiral Horsey advised that the Turquoise would remain at Esquimalt until early December, when she will leave for Panama, touching at the principle Mexican ports.
December – The ship sailed for Ports south and Panama.

23rd January – The ship arrived at Panama.
9th February? – The Turquoise sailed Panama for Payta, where she was inspected by Admiral Horsey on the 18th.
February, March – Was spent cruising coast of Peru/ Callao.
31st March – The Turquoise left Callao and arrived at the Chincha Islands (guano trade) on the 1st April. The ship then went on to Mollendo, arriving there on the 5th. Leaving in the afternoon they arrived at Arica the next day and were informed that Chile had declared war against Peru on the 2nd and her ships were at that moment bombarding Iquique. The Turquoise at once set sail for Iquique to protect British interests. On arriving the next morning (the 7th) they found news of a bombardment to be false with the Chilean navy only blockading the port and trying to induce the Peruvian ships to attack them.
5th April – The ship arrived at Mollendo, 6th at Arica and the 7th at Iquique .
5th May – Captain Robinson reported from Iquique, “We were occupied in embarking Chilean refugees again yesterday. These are people of the better sort, who held positions of trust in foreign employment and their employers are sorry to lose them. They pay their passages for the south on board the Rimac. The Nitrate works have ceased due to the scarcity of coal”.

21 May – Witnessed the Battle of Iquique (
The Battle of Iquique (Spanish: Batalla de Iquique or Combate Naval de Iquique) was a confrontation that occurred on 21 May 1879, during the naval stage of the War of the Pacific, a conflict between Chile and Peru and Bolivia. The battle took place off the then-Peruvian port of Iquique. The Peruvian ironclad Huαscar, commanded by Miguel Grau Seminario, sank the Esmeralda, a Chilean wooden corvette captained by Arturo Prat Chacσn, after four hours of combat.

29th May – The Turquoise arrived at Antofagasta (as was reported by the Chilean Press). Captain Robinson was said to have employed divers to bring up the two Chilean flags that the Esmeralda was flying when she sank and brought them as a mark of respect with and address, re the bravery of the Esmeralda’s captain to the Chilean commander. (while the Esmeralda was sinking under him, it’s captain had attempted to board and Capture the Huascar). This seems to have been just a publicity stunt by the Chilean Press, as it was later denied by the British officers.
7th June – The ship arrived at Callao.
17th July – The Turquoise left Arica for Iquique.
20th August – The Peruvian press reported that the Turquoise and the Pensacola had left Callao last week, sailing south.
20th August – The Turquoise was reported to be at Arica and was senior officer on the coast of Peru.
15th September – The ship was at Callao with the Flagship (Triumph), where she was inspected by Rear-Admiral Sterling. She left on the 27th.
23rd October – The Turquoise arrived at Antofagasta.
4th November – The Turquoise and the Pelican were sent to Iquique.
12th November – Captain Robinson was invalided.
20th November – The ship was reported to be at Arica.
15th December – The Turquoise left Arica, sailing for Coquimbo, from where she put in at Callao. It was suggested that she had a problem with her machinery.
10th December – Captain Mervyn Medlycott appointed to the command, He arrived on the ship on the 20th February 1880. In the meantime, Commander McKechnie from the Shannon was appointed acting Captain.

8th January – The Turquoise arrived at Callao.
19th January – The ship was docked at Callao for cleaning and repairs. While the British ships were in port, it seems that they have enjoyed several games of cricket and a Royal Naval Regatta.
25th February – The Turquoise sailed from Callao for Arica and Coquimbo to relieve the Gannet.
March to April – The ship spent at Arica.
15th April – Reported that the ship at Arica, had been ordered to Callao. She arrived on the 23rd where the Chilean’s were attaching the port.
27th April – It was reported that the Turquoise was at Coquimbo with the Gannet. May – The ship was reported to have been at Ancon.
12th June – The Turquoise, Gannet and Thetis, were to meet the Shannon at Callao for a court-martial? , after which the Turquoise would proceed to Arica.
July – The ship was at Arica.
August to December – The Turquoise was to visit Tahiti, Rarotonga and the Society Islands and after her cruise among the Islands was expected to return to Coquimbo by the end of November.

4th January – The Turquoise arrived at Coquimbo from the South Sea Islands, she is to leave for Callao at the end of the month.
29th January – The British press reported that the Champion, is to relieve the Turquoise in the Pacific
1st February – The Turquoise arrived at Callao, where she remained until 9th May.

5th April – The press reported that the Turquoise had been ordered home to England (Sheerness).
5th May – The Admiralty issued orders for two ships (the Turquoise in the Pacific and the Gannet at Monte Video) to proceed to Sandy Point, Magellan Straits and assist in the recovery of stores and materials from the wreck of HMS Doterel a 6-gun screw sloop (an internal explosion had sunk the ship on the 26th April, taking 8 officers and 135 men with her and leaving about 12 survivors). Both vessels will take divers with them to assist in the recovery of the stores and if possible, of the bodies of those who perished.
22nd May – The ship arrived at Valparaiso.
June – The Turquoise was assisting on wreck of Doterel off Punta Arenas. A Reuters telegram of July 3rd stated that the Doterel had been found broken in two. Only 12 whole bodies had been brought up from the wreck (2 officers and the remainder being sailors) and interred at Sandy Point. Six large guns, a Mitrailleuse and some ammunition had also been recovered.
30th July – The Turquoise arrived at Montevideo from Sandy Point, she would leave for Devonport on the 6th August. The British reported that this was an error and that the ship would be paid-off at Sheerness.
9th & 10th September – The ship re-coaled at St Vincent, Cape Verde.
1st October – The ship arrived at Plymouth on her way to Sheerness.
4th October – The Ship arrived at Spithead, she coaled and left for Sheerness the next day.
6th October – The Turquoise arrived at Sheerness.
23rd October – A seaman (Richard Jones) belonging to the Turquoise, fell into to No.3 dry dock and died from his injuries. It was thought that while having an argument with a petty officer (Charles Bates), that Bates struck him and Jones fell into the Dock. Bates was committed for trial on a charge of manslaughter.
27th October – The Turquoise paid off.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sinking of the Esmeralda during the battle of Iquique.jpg (117.6 KB, 1 views)
Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2017, 14:36
davidrn's Avatar
davidrn davidrn is offline
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Pembroke
Posts: 1,402
Default Re: An India General Service, clasp Burma 1885-7 to HMS Woodlark

HMS Royal Adelaide – 28th October 1881 to 14th March 1882.

HMS Belleisle – 15th March 1882 to 14th September 1883.

15th March – Joined HMS Belleisle, a 4-gun Central broadside Ironclad of 1876, Commanded by Captain Francis Mowbray Prattent, acting as the Coast Guard ship at Kingstown (Ireland).
10th June – The ship returned to her moorings in the harbour, after a five day cruise in the channel. The coast guards attending on their annual drill service and the crew were exercised at the heavy firing target practice.
23rd June – The Belfast News reported, that the Admiralty officially announced that the Belleisle, is to be despatched to the Mediterranean and will be replaced at Kingstown by the Orion.
18th September – The ship passed Roche’s Point (Cork) heading west.
5th October – The ship being caught in a storm and very rough sea’s off Glengariffe on the 1st and after having to batten down her crew and coast guard men returning from their annual Cruise, managed to steam into Queenstown via Castletown. The gale was such, as at one time it was thought that the ship would be lost.

10th March – The Valorous arrived in Kingstown harbour, she will remain until the Belleisle completes a coasting voyage around Ireland.
29th March – The Belleisle returned to Kingstown.
3rd May – The ship was to leave Kingstown for the north of Ireland, for drill and interchange of seamen.
19th June – The reserve squadron was reviewed at Spithead by the Lords of the Admiralty. The Belleisle was expected but she has been ordered to Cowes as guardship, while the Queen is at Osborne.
26th July – The press reported the appointment of Captain Loftus Francis Jones to the command of the Belleisle.
17th August – The ship arrived at Plymouth to be docked for a refit.
George William Bass is recorded as leaving the Belleisle on the 14th September, this may have been when the ships company might have been transferred to the port’s receiving ship while the Belleisle’s refit was in hand? Unless of course the Belleisle paid off?

HMS Royal Adelaide – 15th September 1883 to 26th October 1883.

HMS Britannia – 27th October 1883 to 11th November 1883.
The training ship for Naval cadets, Dartmouth

HMS Royal Adelaide – 12th November 1883 to 22nd February 1884.

HMS Woodlark – 23 February 1884 to 25th March 1887.
23rd February – Joined HMS Woodlark, a 3-gun wooden screw gun-vessel of 1871, commanded by Commander A Kingscote and from November 1884, by Commander William Robert Clutterbuck and then from March 1886 by Commander Edward W. Burt.
24th February – HMS Crocodile left Portsmouth for Bombay, she is also taking out a new crew for the gun-boat Woodlark at Malta, the arrived on the 3rd March.
4th March? – Commander Kingscote commissioned the Woodlark. The ship was still reported to be at Malta on the 24th.
2nd/3rd April – The ship left Malta for Port Said. She arrived on the 7th.
15th April – The Woodlark arrived at Suakin.
23rd April – The ship arrived at Aden.
3rd June – The Woodlark left Aden for Massowah, and was ordered to Suakin.
6th July – Suakin reported that about 5,000 rebels are said to have gone from Handook to Temai and the Woodlark had left for Rawayah and the Condor to Agig to quell disturbances. After the Woodlark has restored order, she will join the Condor at Agig.
The Woodcock return to Suakin on the 13th.
19th July – The ship left Suakin for Massowah.
24th July – The Woodlark with the Abyssinian envoys and the Elephant and presents sent by King John to Her Majesty the Queen, left Massowah for Aden, from where they will be transported to England.
15th August – The Woodlark was reported to be at Suakin with, the Sphinx, Carysfort, Tyne, Condor and Albacore. They were still reported to be there on the 29th.
13th September – The Woodlark and the Temeraire, arrived at Alexandra. The Woodlark was to go to Malta on the 20th, to complete defects. Malta reported her arrival on the 27th. Her commander is being referred to as Commander Nesham)
27th October – The Times reported that Commander William Robert Clutterbuck is appointed to the Woodlark.
1st November – The Woodlark was to leave Malta for the East Indies Station.
27th November – Reported that the Woodlark was to relieve the Osprey at Zanzibar.

28th May – The Woodlark was at Rangoon awaiting orders. She was still there on July 26th and was to proceed to Thayetruyo on the 13th August, if the state of the Irrawaddy would permit,
28th August - The Woodlark, at Thayetruyo, was to leave and return to Rangoon, where she was reported to be on the 1st September and would remain for the present, until relieved by the Ranger and then proceed to the Red Sea, calling in at Trincomalee to refit and Bombay.

On the 26th October Calcutta reported, “Unless a reply to the ultimatum which has been sent by the Indian Government to King Theebaw be received in Rangoon by the 10th November and contain a complete acceptance of the terms laid down, hostilities will commence the next day. Another Prince and Regency will be substituted for the present government. Either a protectorate or annexation is certain.
The troops will embark as soon as they are ready. Every exertion is being made to prepare the Transports.
Besides a large force of British and native Indian troops now stationed in British Burma, they will be augmented by the addition of a force of Bluejackets from the East Indian Squadron, who will be formed into a Naval Brigade.
The Irrawaddy leaves Rangoon on Wednesday (28th) with 50 Bluejackets for the frontier, the Woodlark is there. The Bacchante, Turquoise and Ranger are expected before the 10th November. General Norman is to command the Bengal Brigade, he will arrive on Wednesday”.
The British Irrawaddy was the Yacht used by Mr Bernard on his official tours. She will be commanded by Commander Clutterbuck of the Woodlark and manned by Lieutenants Davies and Ballard and 60 bluejackets of the Woodlark, and Turquoise. (The first hostile movement of the campaign was made on November 14th by Commander Clutterbuck, who, with the Irrawaddy and Kathleen, undertook a reconnaissance up the river, and, about twenty-eight miles above the Thayetmyo, came upon a Burmese steamer, awaiting her approach, the enemy evidently believing that it would be impossible for the Irrawaddy to force her way past a masked battery that had been erected on the Western bank of the river. However the battery was passed in safety and the Irrawaddy engaged her Burmese namesake with her machine-guns and after two discharges the Burmese crew abandoned their ship and swam for the shore. The launch Kathleen then captured the steamer and the two flats that accompanied her).
It was later stated that the Naval Brigade is to be supplied from HM ships Bacchante, Turquoise and Woodlark. The latter ship manning the Indian government steamer Irrawaddy which will be armed with 20-pounder breechloaders, Nordenfelts and Gardner guns and those of the other two ships will man ten boats and steam launches, again being armed with Nordenfelts and Gardner guns. The first duty of the Naval Brigade will be to conduct the troops up the Irrawaddy River, this started on the 15th, with six large steamers belonging to the Irrawaddy Flotilla Company, each with two large flats attached, the Than-bya-dine, Irrawaddy and the Kathleen starting up the river about 10.00 am.
At Kuligon and Minhla the fire from the Irrawaddy and Kathleen was of great service. The Kathleen, having a narrow escape while at Minhla, the ship moored close to a barge, when a mine concealed in the barge was detonated, the Kathleen being severely shaken but uninjured.

On the 27th the steamer Ptilu, with Rear-Admiral Sir Frederick William Richards, and the Bacchantes contingent, arrived and anchored, the naval Commander-in-Chief at once going to the Palow to visit General Prendergast. As soon as it appeared that the Burmese no longer purposed to resist, the troops were landed to take over the guns and other arms which were to be surrendered, a brigade being also sent to Sagain fort, on the right bank, for the same purpose. Only about 2500 stand of small-arms seem to have been given up. Probably as many more were earned off by the Burmese. That night the flotilla lay between Ava and Sagain and on the 28th it moved up to Mandalay, At 1 P.M. the Naval Brigade disembarked, and accompanied the troops to the King's palace, where it took over the custody of the eastern entrance during Colonel Sladen's interview with Theehaw, who agreed formally to surrender on the 29th, when the army made its triumphal entry, In the interim, a party from the Naval Brigade was employed at the palace under the orders of the sorting committee; the Irrawaddy, Tigris, and Kathleen were detached on various services, launches patrolled the river for the suppression of the dacoits and the Bacchante's contingent was sent to the Chindwin river for the same purpose.”

Note; if anyone is interested in more detailed information on the ships of the Irrawaddy Flotilla Company involvement in the 3rd Burma war, may I recommend the excellent “IGS Medals to Men of the Irrawaddy Flotilla Company”, post by “Andywill696”, on the “British Medals Forum” website.

1st January - The Turquoise, the Woodlark, and Ranger were at Rangoon, the last-named vessel having arrived at Trincomalee with a draft of supernumeraries from the British India steamer Rena.
15th January – The Ranger arrived at Rangoon to relieve the Woodlark.
25th January – The Woodlark remains at Rangoon, until the return of her crew from H.I.M’s Irrawaddy. She will then sail for the Persian Gulf.
12th March – The ship left Rangoon, sailing for Trincomalee. She was arrived there on the 24th and was to leave on the 4th April, for Bombay and the Persian Gulf.
15th March – The British press announced the appointment of Commander Edward W. Burt to the command of the Woodlark.
14th May – The Woodlark was at Bombay in the dock refitting, she is to leave the dock on the 20th and will proceed to the Persian Gulf when she is ready for sea. She is reported to have left on the 22nd.
Report of Sphinx and Woodlark, in the Persian Gulf cruising for suppression of the slave trade, they will return to Muscat about the 20th June.
7th June – The Woodlark was reported cruising off Ras el Hadd, under orders of the senior officer Persian Gulf division.
1st July – The ship was reported cruising on the Batinah Coast.
20th July – The Woodlark was at Muscat, cruising between Ras el Hadd and Muscat. She will visit Jask and will then be cruising between Ras el Hadd, Sur, Muscat and on the Batinah Coast.
17th August – The ship was at Muscat.
28th August – The Aberdeen weekly Journal reported that recently a steam cutter belonging to the Woodlark, stopped and boarded a Dhow near Ras el Hedd which was found to be carrying slaves.
31st August – The Woodlark left Muscat to cruise between Sur and Beni-bu-Ali, looking for slave Dhow’s. Still cruising reported on 26th September, She would proceed to Jask on the 21st October.
19th October – The woodcock was reported at Ras-el-Hedd, she would sail to Muscat to Coal and then proceed to Bombay.
10th November – The ship was at Bombay, she would leave on the 14th for Muscat and after the arrival of the Flagship at that port, she would sail for Aden, where she would relieve the Penguin. She sailed on the 2nd December for Aden.
15th December – The Woodcock arrived at Aden from Obokh. She was at Aden on the 24th.
29th December – The ship was reported to be at Zeyla. She was still there on January 12th. Reported that she would return to Aden and remain.

21st January – The Woodlark left Zeyla for Aden.
22nd January – A correspondent with the current Naval Brigade in Burma reporting the death of Lieutenant Macdonald of the Ranger while chasing dacoits, remarked that the Woodlark (known on the station as the Mudlark), was not deemed safe to undertake the voyage back to England and is to be offered for sale at Aden and Bombay.
7th February – The Woodlark left Aden for Berbera, Bulhar, Dungarita and Zeyla and will return to Aden.
22nd February – The Woodlark left Aden for Bombay.
2nd March – The British press reported, that due to their condition, the Woodlark and the Briton will not return to England but will be offered for sale at Bombay.
11th March – The Woodlark was at Bombay, preparing to pay off. The ships officers and crew are to return home in the Orontes. The Woodlark paid off on the 25th March.
17th June – The Orontes arrived at Portsmouth with the crews of the Woodlark and Sphinx.

HMS Royal Adelaide – 26th March 1887 to 14th September 1887.

HMS Himalaya – 15th September 1887 to 30th November 1890.

15th September – Joined the Troopship Himalaya at Portsmouth, commanded by Captain John E Stokes.
20th September – The ship left Portsmouth with military drafts for, Gibraltar, Halifax and Bermuda, she will also embark passengers at Plymouth. She left Plymouth on the 21st.
25th September – The Himalaya arrived at Gibraltar and sailed on the 26th. She arrived at Halifax on the 13th October, from Bermuda (where she arrived on the 8th and left on the 10th). She left for Gibraltar on the 19th arriving on the 30th, she sailed for Portsmouth on the 31st.
6th November – The ship arrived back at Portsmouth.
15th November – The Himalaya was placed in the dock at Keyham yard to have her bottom cleaned and coated and to have her under water fittings examined.
27th November – The ship arrived back at Portsmouth, on the 28th she embarked relief crews for the Mediterranean and she sailed on the 29th.
6th December – The ship left Gibraltar for Malta. She left Malta for Portsmouth carrying the old crews of the Dreadnought and Agamemnon. She arrived home on the 22nd. She sailed on the 23rd for Devonport.
1888, 1889 & 1890 The Himalaya continued her troop movements throughout the Empire.

30th October – The Himalaya arrived at St Vincent. She sailed the next day for Portsmouth.
13th November - The ship arrived at Portsmouth, with the 6th Inniskilling Dragoons from Pietermaritburg. She then went to Devonport to be docked. She came out of dock on the 22nd but remained to have a new iron main mast fitted at Keyham.

It seems that after three years service with the Himalaya, with the ship in dock, that George Bass was paid off and given six weeks leave.

HMS Vivid – 1st December 1890 to 15th January 1891.

The name Vivid was used for the newly established Devonport Royal Navy Barracks from 1890 onwards.

HMS Impregnable – 16th January 1891 to 20th March 1892.

HMS Impregnable was a training establishment started at Devonport in 1862, and active until 1929. As training ships were replaced or added to the establishment, each was renamed Impregnable when she took on the role.

HMS Vivid I – 21st March 1892 to 7th April 1892.

HMS Impregnable - 8th April 1892 to 16th March 1894.

George William Bass was Pensioned on the 16th March 1894. He rejoined on the 2nd May 1894 for a third period of service of 5 years. He seems to have retained his Petty Officer 1st Class rating until the third of March 1895, as on the 4th, his papers show him as a Able Seaman (Pensioner?).

HMS Vivid I – 2nd May 1894 to 28th June 1894.

HMS Lion – 29th June 1894 to 26th July 1894.

From 1892 HMS Lion was a Training Ship for Boys at Devonport, with the Impregnable.

HMS Vivid I – 27th July 1894 to 10th September 1894.

HMS Crescent – 11th September 1894 to 31st December 1894.

11th September – Joined HMS Crescent, a 12-gun? first class cruiser of the Edgar class of 1892, for transport to the Australian station.
10th September – The Crescent left Portsmouth with relief crews for the Orlando (flag ship on the Australian station) and the gunboat Lizard. She is to call in at Plymouth co complete her shipment of men for both ships. Arriving at Plymouth the same day, she left at 7 pm on the 11th.
The ship arrived at Gibraltar on September 15th, Malta September 19th, she coaled at Port Said, and left on Sept. 22nd. She steamed to Colombo, where she received orders to steam to China, leaving on October 10th, she called in at Singapore and reached Hong Kong on 21st and early in December she was ordered to continue to Australia. (At Aden, two marines died from heat apoplexy and a Carpenters mate died at Singapore from the same cause).
30th December – The Crescent arrived at Port Jackson.

HMS Orlando – 1st January 1895 to 5th November 1896.

1st January - Captain Arbuthnot, of the Crescent commissioned and took over command of the Orlando, flag ship of Vice-Admiral Cyprian A. G. Bridge. (Admiral Bridge came out to the station by Mail Steamer and arrived on January 2nd).
15th January – The Orlando left Harbour for a sailing trial. The ship had undergone a recent extensive overhaul of engines, hull and armament.
21st January – The ship visited Jarvis Bay for shot practice. She returned to Sydney on the 23rd.
31st January – The Orlando and the Katoomba, left Sydney for Hobart. They arrived on the 4th February having been joined by the Goldfinch from Melbourne.
20th February – The Orlando left Hobart for Auckland.
28th February - Five of the warships maintained in Australian waters for the protection of colonial, interests, entered port this, dropping anchor shortly after 10.30 o'clock at the man-of-war ground. The Orlando, flagship of Rear-Admiral Bridge, who recently superseded Rear-Admiral Bowden-Smith in command of the warships on the Australian station, and who is visiting Auckland for the first time, headed the procession. Then came the Katoomba, which was followed by the torpedo boat Karrakatta, a type of vessel new to this port. The latter was followed by the Royalist and Ringdove, both of which have just lately visited Auckland.
8th March – The Orlando left Auckland for Melbourne sailing direct.
15th March – The ORLANDO arrived at Melbourne. When the squadron joins her they will rendezvous in Hobson's Bay and from there proceed to Adelaide.
(Squadron, Ringarooma, Royalist, Rapid, Goldfinch and Lizard)

6th April - The Orlando left for Adelaide on her own, the Admiral has not to take the squadron.
8th April – The ship called in at Portland, Victoria.
12th April – The ship having passed Cape Jarvis in the morning, arrived at Largs Bay anchorage after 2 PM. She left to return to Sydney on the 23rd and arrived on the 27th. She is expected to remain in Sydney until the end of May and then go north on a cruise of the Queensland ports, New Guinea and the Solomon Islands.
28th May – The Orlando with the Admiral left Sydney for Lord Howe Island, Norfolk Island (taking the Bishop of Melanesia Dr. Wilson) and Fiji.
9th June – A telegram reported that the Orlando, after calling at Lord Howe Island and on 1st June, Norfolk Island, had just left Noumea, New Caledonia, for Suva, Fiji, where she arrived on the 13th and sailed on the 20th for Tonga.

22nd June - The ship was due at Tonga
28th June – The Flagship arrived at Apia, Samoa. The Queenslander of Brisbane reported that while at Suva, “a game of football was arranged between the brawny Fijians and a team of blue-jackets. Never before had Jack-tars played Fijian football; never again will they. For it was not football, it was a bull fight; it was Jack-tar in the air, Jack-tar gruelled and twisted and was carried on stretchers aboard HMS Orlando, to the sound of a muffled drum. And in the wake of the flying squad, came the Fijian braves chanting a death song and loudly cursing the fate that cheated them of a cannibal feast”. The ship left on the 2nd July for Rotumah and from there she will proceed to Savage Island.
13th to 21st July – The Orlando was cruising in the New Hebrides, and finally left Port Sandwich for Santa Cruz in the Solomon group and British New Guinea, en-route for Queensland and Sydney.

7th August – The Orlando is expected at Port Moresby (She left on the 11th). The ship was then to visit, Cooktown, Cairns, Townsville, Keppel Bay, Moreton Bay (Brisbane, arrived 19th August and left on the 5th September), she arrived at Sydney on the 7th September.
While the Orlando was at Sydney, George Bass was transferred to the Mildura as of the 6th October.

HMS Mildura - 6th October 1895 to 7th June 1896.

6th October – Joined HMS Mildura, (at Sydney) the ex-Pelorus of 1889, a Pearl class cruiser, commanded by Captain William McCoy FitzGerald Castle.
6th November – The Mildura is to go into dock at Sydney for an overhaul.
30th November? – After the ships overhaul, she underwent a satisfactory trial outside Sydney Heads. It seems that the Mildura was acting as the Sydney guard ship.

20th May – the ship was reported to be in Sutherland Dock with the Tauranga.

I have been unable find when George Bass left the Mildura, or how he returned to England but the last entry on his papers states HMS Vivid I – 8th June 1896 to 8th June 1896 – Invalided and show his pension traced as the 18th June 1896
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BASS George 1.JPG (103.8 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg BASS George 1A.JPG (96.8 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg BASS GEORGE 2.JPG (60.5 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg BASS George 3.JPG (49.8 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg HMS Shah & Chillian ship Hauscar.jpg (93.9 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg HMS Shah at Pitcairn Island.jpg (170.1 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg HMS Turquoise.jpg (218.0 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg HMS Woodlatk 1871.jpg (87.1 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg Irrawaddy Flotilla 1886.jpg (205.1 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg The HMS Kathleen (Gunboat).jpg (86.5 KB, 2 views)
Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2017, 13:09
james_harvey's Avatar
james_harvey james_harvey is offline
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Canewdon Essex
Posts: 137
Default Re: An India General Service, clasp Burma 1885-7 to HMS Woodlark

Nice medal and a great write up
in memory of my grandfather A/B C F Harvey RN Boom Defence.

39-45 Star, Burma Star, France and Germany Star, Defence Medal and War Medal

And my grandmother LACW G I Harvey WAAF
Defence and War medal
Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 20:46
davidrn's Avatar
davidrn davidrn is offline
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Pembroke
Posts: 1,402
Default Re: An India General Service, clasp Burma 1885-7 to HMS Woodlark

Thank you for your observations James

Regards Dave
Reply With Quote

Ship Search by Name : Advanced Search
Random Timeline Entry : 23rd January 1911 : HMS Isis : At Spithead for Fleet Review

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
A Burma 1885 -7 to the Navy. HMS Bacchante davidrn Medals 16 04-05-2017 20:58
Medal Query Regarding a Clasp. bert-261 Medals 8 10-07-2013 11:43
General Service Medal - RADFAN corbs28 Medals 23 06-06-2012 09:03
HMS Northumberland: Jun 1880-May 1885 - Service Details Required davidrn Royal Navy Ships and Crews 3 12-10-2010 11:41
General Service Medal 1915-62 MichaelH Medals 12 27-04-2009 21:09

All times are GMT. The time now is 10:02.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.