World Naval Ships Forums  
VIEW ALL OF OUR CURRENT SPECIAL OFFERS HERE!

Go Back   World Naval Ships Forums > Naval History > Other Naval Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Other Naval Topics Other general naval or navy-related topics.

Old 06-02-2018, 04:41
Admiral

Default Re: Lockheed Martin F35B Lightning II

Quote:
Originally Posted by glojo View Post
It looks like the F35B will carry just TWO air to air missiles, plus two air to ground, did I miss the size of those two missiles?
It carries 2 AIM-120s internally WHEN ALSO CARRYING AIR-GROUND WEAPONRY!

In an air-superiority mission it will carry FOUR AIM-120s internally, plus two to six AIM-9X under the wings (all 6 under-wing pylons are wired for AIM-9X carriage).

And Lockheed has already demonstrated that, if they are paid to do so, they can increase the internal missile load to 6 AIM-120s by modifying the carriage points.

Last edited by BlackBat242 : 06-02-2018 at 05:34.
Old 06-02-2018, 09:21
Lieutenant-Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBat242 View Post
It carries 2 AIM-120s internally WHEN ALSO CARRYING AIR-GROUND WEAPONRY!

In an air-superiority mission it will carry FOUR AIM-120s internally, plus two to six AIM-9X under the wings (all 6 under-wing pylons are wired for AIM-9X carriage).

And Lockheed has already demonstrated that, if they are paid to do so, they can increase the internal missile load to 6 AIM-120s by modifying the carriage points.
Slight case of deja vu here and whilst I understand the removal of the two air to ground missiles, I do not understand putting anything on pylons. Yes, I accept what folks say about how that will be safe once you have air superiority but when we are talking about one ship with perhaps eight to twelve aircraft, that might not be anytime soon? Is a non-stealth aircraft, a non-stealth aircraft?

Please take this in the spirit it is meant as Lockheed have said they will adapt the F35B to have a tanking capability, IF.... If we were prepared to pay for all the work involved? Not going to happen.
Old 07-02-2018, 05:29
Admiral

"Stealth" is NOT an "all or nothing" thing! It depends on the whole aircraft's design & materials, and if one area is "compromised" the rest of the aircraft remains "low-observable".

Even carrying some external ordnance the F-35 will have a lower radar signature than such aircraft as the F/A-18E/F, F-15C/E, F-16C/D/E etc, Typhoon, Rafale*, etc when they are also carrying the same external ordnance (and for those aircraft ALL ordnance save gun ammo is carried externally).

This will still reduce the ability of search radars to positively find it at long range, and to reduce the range at which weapons-guidance radars can obtain a "firing lock", when compared to those other aircraft.

This still makes the F-35 more survivable in all combat scenarios than the above-listed aircraft.

* Rafale has the smallest radar signature of the other aircraft listed, but it is still much more visible to radar than an F-35 with comparable external ordnance.
Old 07-02-2018, 10:02
Lieutenant-Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBat242 View Post
"Stealth" is NOT an "all or nothing" thing! It depends on the whole aircraft's design & materials, and if one area is "compromised" the rest of the aircraft remains "low-observable".

* Rafale has the smallest radar signature of the other aircraft listed, but it is still much more visible to radar than an F-35 with comparable external ordnance.
Hi Blackbat,
Thank you very much for taking the time to reply to my questions, I have always believed the F35 program will be a great addition to the US military. This aircraft has been designed to meet the needs of each of your armed forces and much respect to the designers for being able to do this so please do not think I am being critical of this marvellous fifth-generation aircraft. Much respect to all the personnel that have had to face the continual bombardment of those that will not accept this aircraft into the fold
Old 07-02-2018, 17:28
Admiral

Exclamation Re: Lockheed Martin F35B Lightning II

Former F-35 pilot explains how the US Marine Corps' version makes China's 'carrier killer' missiles irrelevant

As China builds out its network of militarized islands in the South China Sea and expands a sphere of influence designed to keep the US out, the US Marine Corps is putting the finishing touches on a weapon to burst its bubble: the F-35B.

China's People's Liberation Army Rocket Force has turned out a massive number of so-called carrier-killer missiles, ballistic missiles that can target ships up to about 800 miles out at sea, even testing them against models of US aircraft carriers.

Continues at - http://uk.businessinsider.com/f-35-p...18-2?r=US&IR=T

Ship Search by Name : Advanced Search
Random Timeline Entry : 15th January 1939 : HMS Eagle : Arrived Durban