World Naval Ships Forums  
VIEW ALL OF OUR CURRENT SPECIAL OFFERS HERE!

Go Back   World Naval Ships Forums > New Members > Frequently Asked Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Frequently Asked Questions Information, questions and answers about avatars, signatures and other forum tools and features

Old 04-11-2016, 15:10
Commodore

Default Re: Computer Browser Problems.

Jim, still no good with chrome, it even says my password is invalid!!
It works fine with firefox, so why the discrepancy with chrome. Baffles me

Jack.
Old 04-11-2016, 15:32
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackW1208 View Post
Jim, still no good with chrome, it even says my password is invalid!!
It works fine with firefox, so why the discrepancy with chrome. Baffles me

Jack.
Not sure Jack, Chrome seems to work ok for me. My son recommended Chrome as he said it is safer than the others as it is open source, whatever that means

Jim
Old 28-01-2017, 16:19
Forum Moderator

I had a problem this morning when running Firefox. I had Facebook loaded in a Tab and |I clicked on a News item, which I think showed a photo of a man pushing a supermarket trolley with a child alongside and it had a caption that someone recognised straight away that something was wrong with the child so, intrigued, I clicked on the item to see more. As soon as I clicked, I got a message, supposedly from Microsoft to ring a Toll Free number for a password, etc. However I tried, I could not close the page in Facebook and eventually did so using the Task Manager. A good while later, I started up Firefox again and instantly got the message again and I was unable to close Firefox, which I did again with the Task Manager.
I have refrained from updating Firefox to the latest version because I had problems with it not finding New Posts when I logged in to WNSF. I fired up my virus checker, Kaspersky, and it was telling me that one of my programmes was not the latest version and pointed to Firefox. I thought nothing to lose so I downloaded the latest version, currently v51.0.01, and loaded it up. Pleasingly, the link to the Microsoft Toll Free page had gone, and when I logged into WNSF, the New Posts worked and posts since my last visit were displayed.
Hopefully, the latest version of Firefox may also help others who were reluctant to install it and, on the plus side, it is more secure than older versions of the software.

Jim
Old 28-01-2017, 17:16
Commodore

Jim, I installed v50.0.1 during November last year when my comp. was playing silly b*ggers, that didn't allow me to log in properly, so I said, *od it, I need to update my comp. to be able to download programmes that I wanted to use, so bought a new comp. with windows 10 already installed.
Two weeks ago, screen kept on flicking in and out, Microsoft update had a fault in it, I was one of a few who had to resort to Microsoft Support to get back online.
So far, no problems using Edge as my browser, everything works OK.
I wish I could say the same for Windows 10, it's a b*gger to fathom it all out!

Jack.
Old 28-01-2017, 18:48
Forum Moderator

Oops, spoke too soon. When I logged in with Firefox again later, the New Posts didn't work, nor did the Quick Links - Todays Posts option. Will be using Edge from now on

Jim
Old 28-01-2017, 20:01
Admiral

I use Mozilla Firefox windows 10. Sometimes I get todays posts and sometimes I get new posts but they are both the same.
Old 28-01-2017, 20:44
Forum Moderator

Have now gone back to v43.0.1 to get my New Posts facility back, etc. Edge was doing my head in due to the different fonts and font sizes, sticking with what I know.

Jim
Old 29-01-2017, 07:15
Sub-Lieutenant

I moved from Windows 7 ( no problems) to Linux Mint....Very happy!

Well something's lost but something's gained in living everyday - Joni Mitchell
Old 29-01-2017, 11:13
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackW1208 View Post
Jim, I installed v50.0.1 during November last year when my comp. was playing silly b*ggers, that didn't allow me to log in properly, so I said, *od it, I need to update my comp. to be able to download programmes that I wanted to use, so bought a new comp. with windows 10 already installed.
Two weeks ago, screen kept on flicking in and out, Microsoft update had a fault in it, I was one of a few who had to resort to Microsoft Support to get back online.
So far, no problems using Edge as my browser, everything works OK.
I wish I could say the same for Windows 10, it's a b*gger to fathom it all out!

Jack.
Hi Jack ,

I am still having problems. After a frustrating six months on 10 I dumped it on my laptop and reloaded 7 . Just didn't like 10 and my Computer Boffin told me that people who installed the free upload were having mega problems. Having said that the gremlins are still there on 7 and on this PC using Vista.
Sometimes you get in but more often than not I have to wait until someone opens a thread before I can reply. Have learnt to live with it now but it is a bl***y bind.

He did also say that 10 was going to be the last Microsoft Windows system but I don't know how kosher that bit of news is.

Dave H
Old 29-01-2017, 13:19
Forum Moderator

Yes Dave, I understand that Windows 10 will be the last Windows incarnation and it will be updated and refined as time goes on.
I don't have a problem with 10 which, IMO, is the best version to date, just had to get my head round it and persuade myself that W7 came a close second.
Wouldn't it be great to be able to use a computer without some dipstick working away in the background, trying to prevent you by introducing viruses, ransom demands and other gremlins to trip you up

Jim
Old 01-02-2017, 16:36
Forum Moderator

Had a similar problem to my #128 post, insofar as - on Facebooke again - I clicked on a news item relating to a member of the armed forces who would not stand when they played the national anthem and you had to click on the article to find out the outcome. However, as soon as I clicked on it a voice informed me that I had a virus problem and that I should ring Microsoft on a toll free number to get help to remove it. I was unable to close the page, no matter what I did. Consequently, I pressed Ctrl Alt Del and closed down Firefox using the Task Manager. When I reloaded Firefox I clicked quickly on the corner of each Tab to close each page and finished off with a Virus Scan, which found no issues.
Probably the same scumbags behind the previous problem.

Jim
Old 02-02-2017, 14:11
Commodore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbryce1437 View Post
Had a similar problem to my #128 post, insofar as - on Facebooke again - I clicked on a news item relating to a member of the armed forces who would not stand when they played the national anthem and you had to click on the article to find out the outcome. However, as soon as I clicked on it a voice informed me that I had a virus problem and that I should ring Microsoft on a toll free number to get help to remove it. I was unable to close the page, no matter what I did. Consequently, I pressed Ctrl Alt Del and closed down Firefox using the Task Manager. When I reloaded Firefox I clicked quickly on the corner of each Tab to close each page and finished off with a Virus Scan, which found no issues.
Probably the same scumbags behind the previous problem.

Jim
You may have an underlying virus. I've had the browser lock-up issue a few times with a message/warning that to unlock the computer you need to ring a phone number with a credit card handy.

As you found, the only way out of it is to stop/close the browser by using Ctrl + Alt + Del and stopping the program via that route.

I also had to open a second browser window to uncheck the "Open Firefox at last window/tab" setting as it kept going back to the same high-jacking site.
Old 02-02-2017, 14:17
Forum Moderator

I have scanned with Virus checker, but nothing found. When I opened Firefox on restarting, I got a "This is embarrasing" message as it couldn't open the previous session.

Jim
Old 10-03-2017, 15:41
Admiral

When I logged in today with Firefox I received a message stating that this site was not secure and that I should not use my password on any other sites that I considered important. Any ideas guys?

Jim , Thanks for replying to my PM

Dave H
Old 11-03-2017, 08:38
Sub-Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Hutson View Post
When I logged in today with Firefox I received a message stating that this site was not secure and that I should not use my password on any other sites that I considered important. Any ideas guys?

Jim , Thanks for replying to my PM

Dave H
I would not worry about it. I also sometimes get all sorts of 'warnings' and scare mongering messages and assorted rubbish. You are using a well known bona fide browser (Firefox) and I assume you have internet security such as McAfee or Norton or similar.
My new Windows 10 laptop recently got infected by malware (virus) and a direct on-line session with Microsoft sorted it out. I've learnt that the more technology supposedly improves the more finicky and fiddly and maintenance-prone it becomes.
Old 11-03-2017, 15:57
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Have now gone back to v43.0.1 to get my New Posts facility back, etc. Edge was doing my head in due to the different fonts and font sizes, sticking with what I know.

Jim
On booting up today, Kaspersky took it upon itself to download and install automatically Firefox v52.0. Still has old probelem so will have to revert to v43.0.1 again
Had to disable the Automatic update and install function in Kaspersky, so should still get a notification, but can choose whether to install it.

Jim
Old 13-03-2017, 13:20
Admiral of the Fleet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Hutson View Post
This is to do with the drive by Google et al to make a more secure web. Browsers are beginning to show messages such as this to people on websites that are not using secure protocol (httpS) instead of http. This is especially true on sites where you submit forms, and even more especially true where passwords are submitted.

We would ideally be using https, and we have indeed switched our ecommerce operations over to this. (see https://www.military-art.com) The trouble is all our sites are on a shared server, and only one site on the server can be made to use the https protocol at this time.* This means that until we do a big overhaul of our systems we are stuck with http for this site. I don't consider it a problem. Just arguably over-sensitivity by the browser companies.

*yes, there are ways around this but for the moment not within our reach.
Old 30-06-2017, 17:21
Forum Moderator

Quote:
On booting up today, Kaspersky took it upon itself to download and install automatically Firefox v52.0. Still has old probelem so will have to revert to v43.0.1 again
Had to disable the Automatic update and install function in Kaspersky, so should still get a notification, but can choose whether to install it.

Jim
For some unknown reason my laptop decided to shut down and update Firefox to version 54.0.1 (32bit) (not sure how it persuaded Kaspersky to do that). However, I will stick with it for the time being as it was showing New Posts (since last visit) when I started it up. That did not happen when I was using versions later than v43.0.1. The jury is out until I am convinced all is well

Jim
Old 30-06-2017, 19:16
Forum Moderator

Quote:
For some unknown reason my laptop decided to shut down and update Firefox to version 54.0.1 (32bit) (not sure how it persuaded Kaspersky to do that). However, I will stick with it for the time being as it was showing New Posts (since last visit) when I started it up. That did not happen when I was using versions later than v43.0.1. The jury is out until I am convinced all is well

Jim
Well v54 failed to find New Posts or Todays Posts in the Quick Links, so now back with v43

Jim
Old 01-07-2017, 10:46
Commodore

Quote:
Well v54 failed to find New Posts or Todays Posts in the Quick Links, so now back with v43

Jim
That's proably an issue to dowith cookies, try and delete all the cookies from WNS and see how you go.

I've got the other problem, Win 10 updates itself and I believe it requires a registry edit to stop it.
Old 02-07-2017, 08:07
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCC View Post
That's proably an issue to do with cookies, try and delete all the cookies from WNS and see how you go.
Took your advice and updated Firefox to version v54. Worked ok until I logged out (purposely to test it). When I logged back in it appeared to work ok, then logged out and, after a few hours, logged back in again and had the same problem - it couldn't display New Posts since last visit, nor would it display Todays Posts in the Quick Links.
I then Opened the Menu tab (3 bars in top right corner of Firefox) then chose the History button, then the Clear Recent History option (Ctrl-Shift-Delete), then ticked the top 4 boxes and the bottom box (Site Preferences) then clicked on Clear Now.
When I went to log in to WNSF I had to put in my User Name and Password again but, after entering the site the New Posts were displayed and the Todays Posts option was working in the Quick Links. That was yesterday, but I had to go through the same procedure again today, so will have to delve deeper to see if I can get it to work in the same was as it did in v43.
At least I know how to work around the problem for now so thanks TCC.

Jim
Old 02-07-2017, 16:08
Forum Moderator

I may have found a solution to my problem.
However, it entails logging into the site each time I visit, whereas in v43 I could stay logged in for the New Post option to work.
Click on the Menu tab, 3 bars to right of Firefox, then chose Options then Privacy from the list on the left. Then tick the box marked Clear History when Firefox closes.
Under the General tab enter the following as your Home Page:

http://www.worldnavalships.com/forum....php?do=getnew

That seem to resolve the problem for me and I hope it works for others.

Jim
Old 02-07-2017, 16:27
Commodore

Quote:
I may have found a solution to my problem.
However, it entails logging into the site each time I visit, whereas in v43 I could stay logged in for the New Post option to work.
Click on the Menu tab, 3 bars to right of Firefox, then chose Options then Privacy from the list on the left. Then tick the box marked Clear History when Firefox closes.
Under the General tab enter the following as your Home Page:

http://www.worldnavalships.com/forum....php?do=getnew

That seem to resolve the problem for me and I hope it works for others.

Jim
Jim, it seems you're on the right track but make sure "Remember log-ins for sites' is checked, it's on a tab called 'Security' on the Firefox 'Options' menu.

The only other advice I'd add is google the problem as you won't be the first who's faced the issue. And add the name of the forum software WNS uses.
Old 02-07-2017, 16:54
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCC View Post
Jim, it seems you're on the right track but make sure "Remember log-ins for sites' is checked, it's on a tab called 'Security' on the Firefox 'Options' menu.
I did thant, thanks, so when I go to log in, my user name appears on a drop-down list and my password is added automatically.

Jim

Ship Search by Name : Advanced Search
Random Timeline Entry : 3rd January 1945 : HMS Faulknor : Cdr. George Emery Fardell, RN In Command