World Naval Ships Forums  
CURRENT SPECIAL OFFERS ON OUR HUGE SELECTION OF ART PRINTS!

Go Back   World Naval Ships Forums > Naval History > German Ships and Crews
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

German Ships and Crews Topics relating to a specific German ship or ships.

Old 08-01-2012, 20:29
Petty Officer

Default German High Seas Fleet U boats WWI Pictures sought

I am seeking photos of U boats of WWI of the German High Seas Fleet for helping an associate for a project to recreate many in digital form. thank you for help on this.

these boats especially would be helpful as many are being recreated in 3D:

U-19 class
U-66 class
U-63 class
U-93 class
U-139 cruiser subs
UB-II class

Sea Trials and Ship Testing

Last edited by Admiral Von Gerlach : 08-01-2012 at 21:45.
Old 09-01-2012, 20:44
Petty Officer

Default Re: German High Seas Fleet U boats WWI Pictures sought

I found a thread here with some very nice photos thanks for that, and any additional suggestions are very much appreciated. It must have been tough duty in those old boats, looking at the exposed con station on the conning tower, and imagining what the quarters must have been like with that stage of technology, it must have been very hard. I wonder if there are any good accounts written by officers or crew of that era. I suppose the mortality rate was less than in WWII, i wonder what the overall figures of total number of boats and total number of ships sunk might me. They had some spectacular successes for sure, but it sounds like the convoy system did the trick for the allies in both wars.

Old 09-01-2012, 23:32
Commodore

If you're looking for crew accounts, try this site. A lot of copyright expired texts from the era you are interested in such as this:

http://www.archive.org/details/WasJe...bootWissenMuss

I did a quick search of 'uboat' for you:

http://www.archive.org/search.php?qu...iatype%3Atexts

The problem you may have is any accounts will be in German. But you'll only get out of it the same effort (searching) that you put into it.
Old 10-01-2012, 02:54
Petty Officer

I dont mind the german part, i can do some and my father can help with some too. He did not want us to learn it but he is fluent and was there during the war.

I had three cousins who were U boat skippers in the WWII but they went down with their boats.

thanks for that ...i tried a search and found that one thread and will keep working on it. thanks for that link for references. It is a remarkable era to read about the early days of the U boats in Germany, it sounds like they worked very hard on the research and many of the boats in actual service were actually semi experimental it sounds like.

Old 27-01-2012, 05:40
Chief Petty Officer

You can obtain a very detailed plan of the S.M. U-Kreuzer U 139 Kapitšnleutnant Schwieger from Christian Schmidt in Germany.

http://www.christian-schmidt.com/pro...49&language=en
Old 27-01-2012, 19:36
Petty Officer

thank you very much, that is much appreciated.

Old 30-01-2012, 22:34
Captain

Some early boats,not sure if you want the early one?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg U-Boats.jpg (168.3 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg U-7 & U-12.jpg (96.1 KB, 40 views)
Old 02-04-2012, 20:39
Petty Officer

Danke and thank you very much those are both nice photographs and the first one is the best example of that view which i have seen many times but this one is especially in fine focus and resolution. thank you very much.

Ship Search by Name : Advanced Search
Random Timeline Entry : 8th January 1890 : HMS Gorgon : Commenced Manouvres in the Western Approaches and North Atlantic

NAVAL PRINTS

Click above to see our naval art portal - Eight random half price items are displayed to the right.

Some Current Half Price Offers

On 17th June 1944, 780 miles west of Saipan in Mid Pacific, the Gato class submarine USS Cavalla dives after a lucky sighting of a Japanese Naval Task Force, which included the aircraft carriers Taiho, Shokaku and Zuikaku. The Cavalla then trailed the Japanese, attacking and sinking the Shokaku on the 19th.

A Chance Encounter by Robert Barbour.
Half Price! - £35.00
The Battle of Trafalgar was fought on a calm, almost windless day, on 21st October 1805.  Nelsons revolutionary battle plan was to cut apart the larger Franco-Spanish fleet of Vice-Admiral Villeneuve by sailing in two single column divisions directly at right angles into the combined fleet and thus rendering almost half of the leading ships useless until the could turn and join the fight, which in such calm conditions could take hours.  The battle raged for five hours in which time not one British ship was lost, however, Nelson would tragically lose his life at the very moment of his triumph, a triumph which rendered the British Navy unchallenged in supremacy for over a century.  Here HMS Mars passes between the French ship Belleisle on her starboard and the French ship Fougeux on her port, firing a murderous hail of gunfire at both ships.  Also shown in the painting on the left hand side is the Spanish ship Monarco and the French ship Pluton.

The Battle of Trafalgar - Mars Breaks the Line†by Anthony Saunders. (AP)
Half Price! - £60.00
 Arguably the most iconic moment in British naval history, <i>HMS Victory</i> is depicted just moments from firing her devastating opening salvo into the stern galleries of the French flagship </i>Bucentaure</i> at Trafalgar as Nelson's flagship enters the fray at approximately 12.30pm on October 21st 1805.  Beyond <i>Victory</i>, in the extreme distance through the gun smoke, Collingwood's <i>Royal Sovereign</i>is engaging the <i>Santa Ana</i>.  To the left of the painting, the French <i>Neptune</i> and Spanish <i>San Justo</i> can be seen with <i>Redoutable</i> immediately beyond <i>Victory</i>, trying vainly to close the gap.  <i>Victory</i>, already shot to pieces, is about to wreak her terrible revenge on the <i>Bucentaure</i> in the foreground where Vice-Admiral Villeneuve can be seen on the poop deck - wearing the green corduroy pantaloons.  Nelson was surely the nemesis of Villeneuve, who had been summarily humiliated some seven years earlier at the Battle of the Nile and Nelson's tactics would again win the day for His Majesty's navy, albeit at the tragic cost of Nelson himself.

Nemesis by Ivan Berryman. (P)
Half Price! - £6500.00
HMS Eagle and the commando carrier HMS Albion during the withdrawal from Aden in November 1967.  One of HMS Eagles Sea Vixen is passing overhead and RFA Stromness is at anchor in the distance.

HMS Eagle and HMS Albion by Ivan Berryman.
Half Price! - £15.00

Over 150 years of the Royal Navy are encapsulated in this view of the mighty HMS Nelson, moored at Portsmouth in 1945. Beyond the 16in guns of A turret, the masts of Admiral Nelsons flagship at Trafalgar, HMS Victory rise into the skyline whilst in the foreground MTB 507 cruises past on its way to the Solent.

HMS Nelson by Ivan Berryman (P)
Half Price! - £2750.00
February 1942 and Viz. Admiral Ciliaxs mighty Scharnhorst leads her sister Gneisenau and Prinz Eugen up the English Channel during Operation Cerberus, their daring breakout from the port of Brest on the French Atlantic coast to the relative safety of Wilhelmshaven and Brunsbuttel. All three ships survived what became known as the Channel Dash, not without damage, but the operation proved a huge propaganda success for Germany and a crushing embarrassment for the British. A number of torpedo boats are in attendance, including Kondor and Falke and the Z class destroyer Friedrich Ihn in the distance.

Operation Cerberus, Channel Dash by Ivan Berryman.
Half Price! - £15.00
 The greatest naval battle of the First World War took place on the 31st of May and the 1st of June 1916, near the Danish province of Jutland.  It was the first and only sea battle between the British and German fleets, and certainly proved to be the clash of the Titans that the First Lord of the Admiralty, Winston Churchill, had long planned.  Decisive victory was claimed by both sides, but, desperately fought though it was, the outcome was indecisive.  The Royal Navy suffered higher losses in both men and ships, but the German fleet never ventured out of harbour to seek battle again.  During the daylight fighting HMS Barham, under Rear Admiral Evan-Thomas, lead the 5th Battle Squadron (Valiant, Warspite and Malaya) and is seen here at 4.50pm exchanging with Hippers battle-cruisers to the south.

HMS Barham leads the 5th Battle Squadon at Jutland by Anthony Saunders.
Half Price! - £105.00
Two F14 Tomcats of VF-1 pass in close formation over the stern of the veteran USS Ranger (CV-61)

USS Ranger by Ivan Berryman. (Y)
Half Price! - £295.00

SPORT PRINTS

Click above to see our sport art portal - Four random half price items are displayed to the right.

This montage shows Trigger winning the Goodwood Cup in 1995, 1997 and 1998.

Double Trigger by Stephen Smith.
Half Price! - £50.00
 Ferrari Pit Stop 2001.
Masters of Strategy II by Michael Thompson.
Half Price! - £33.00
 The Minstrel, 1977, Shergar, 1981, Golden Fleece, 1982, .Teenoso, 1983, Reference Point, 1987, Nashwan, 1989.

Derby Winners by Peter Deighan.
Half Price! - £100.00
SP4.  Desert Orchid by Mark Churms.

Desert Orchid by Mark Churms.
Half Price! - £35.00

AVIATION PRINTS

Click above to see our aviation art portal - Four random half price items are displayed to the right.

These Republic P-47D Thunderbolts were operational with the 82nd FS, 78th FG based at Duxford during the final months of the war in Europe.

Duxford Pair by Ivan Berryman.
Half Price! - £75.00
 Two Spitfire Mk1Bs of 92 Squadron patrol the south coast from their temporary base at Ford, here passing over the Needles rocks, Isle of Wight, in the Spring of 1942.

In Them We Trust by Ivan Berryman. (Y)
Half Price! - £40.00
 Amid a hail of defensive fire, Flt Lt D J H Maltby holds Lancaster ED906/G AJ-J steady for his bomb aimer John Fort to perfectly choose his moment to release the Upkeep Bomb that would ultimately breach and destroy the Mohne Dam during the famous Dambuster raids on the Ruhr on the night of 16th / 17th May 1943.

The One That Broke The Dam by Ivan Berryman.
Half Price! - £30.00
 Of similar configuration, but usually outclassed by its British contemporary, the Bristol F2b, the Luft-Verkehrs-Gesellschaft LVG was essentially a strong and stable observation aircraft that served widely during World War 1. On 21st May 1917, this example became the victim of the guns of Sergeant John H Jones, contributing to his eventual tally of 15 victories. Here, his pilot that day, Captain W G Mostyn, has already had a squirt using his forward-firing Vickers gun before manoeuvring their 22 Sqn machine into position for Jones to finish the job with his twin Lewis guns.

Sergeant John H Jones and pilot Captain W G Mostyn, Bristol F2b Fighter claiming a Luft-Verkehrs-Gesellschaft LVG by Ivan Berryman. (Y)
Half Price! - £40.00

MILITARY PRINTS

Click above to see our military art portal - Four random half price items are displayed to the right.

Normandy, Mid-June 1944.  A REME Leyland Retriever mobile workshop truck and M7 Priest SP gun of 33rd Field Regiment, Royal Artillery, 3rd Infantry Division, disembark from an LST at one of the <i>Whale</i> floating roadways that made up the British Mulberry B harbour at Arromanches.

Arromanches by David Pentland. (P)
Half Price! - £700.00
 Troops of the 1st Hampshires assaulting Gold Beach during the Normandy Landings. Gold beach was one of the British beaches on D-Day. Gold beach was the western most beach of the British beaches, on D-Day. Gold beach was between two twenty metre high cliffs where German fortifications had been built. The beach had been protected by concrete casemates which took some time to break through. This happened with support form British tanks in the afternoon of D-day 6th June. The British tanks and reinforcements moved off the beaches towards Saint-Come-de-Fresene and Arromanches which were both liberated by 9pm.

D-Day Gold Beach, 6th June 1944 by Simon Smith. (AP)
Half Price! - £100.00
 Preussisch Stargard, East Prussia, February 1945.  Following the departure  of the platoon's two other vehicles, after expending all their ammunition, the single Jagdpanther of Oberfeldwebel Hermann Bix remained to cover the withdrawal of all supporting infantry in the area.  Hidden behind a muck heap, with only twenty armour piercing and five high explosive shells remaining he made the attacking Soviet Shermans pay a heavy price, destroying sixteen of their number before he too fell back out of ammunition.

The Rearguard by David Pentland. (P)
Half Price! - £700.00
 British MK1 Grant tanks of the Staffordshire Yeomanry 8th Armoured Brigade, 10th Armoured Division, breakout from El Alamein.

Operation Supercharge, 4th November 1941 by David Pentland. (GL)
Half Price! - £300.00