World Naval Ships Forums  
VIEW ALL OF OUR CURRENT SPECIAL OFFERS HERE!

Go Back   World Naval Ships Forums > Naval History > All Other Naval Ships
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

All Other Naval Ships Topics relating to a specific ship or ships from any country not mentioned above

Old 07-03-2010, 18:24
Chief Petty Officer

Default Irish Warships

Thanks Terry, it probably got lost in cyberspace, so we'll try again. This is the Irish Navy Patrol Ship "LE Aisling" P23, which I photographed in Cork Harbour last year. Not the most glamerous or imposing warship ever, but I thought it might be nice to see something a bit different as the Irish Navy gets very little coverage, no doubt due to the fact that the entire fleet consists of only 8 ships.

Last edited by tonclass : 08-03-2010 at 14:18. Reason: Pic replaced with larger version
Old 07-03-2010, 18:28
Chief Petty Officer

Default Re: SPECIAL WARSHIP PICTURES

Oops, I cant seem to get the picture to go to thumbnail size, sorry.
Old 07-03-2010, 21:13
Admiral

Aidan.............8 ships?, the way things are going it will soon outnumber the RN!
Old 08-03-2010, 12:44
Chief Petty Officer

Hopefully I got it right this time and uploaded the full size photo , I cant seem to find the edit button to remove the first one I posted, sorry
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LE Aisling P23.JPG (1.86 MB, 178 views)
Old 08-03-2010, 12:46
Captain

Default Re: IRISH WARSHIPS

Many a true word Scurs!.
Old 11-03-2010, 00:19
Petty Officer

I wish the land of my forefathers had a larger Navy.
Old 11-03-2010, 01:38
Chief Petty Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishyank View Post
I couldn't agree more irishyank. Considering we are an Island nation, a larger Navy is definately needed, if just to fullfill fishery protection roles, let alone a military role. The Irish Navy, or to be more correct, the Irish Naval Service had its humble beginings in 1922, during the civil war following the war of independance (Anglo/Irish War of 1921) The newly formed "Irish Free State" government comandeered a number of small civilian vessels for use as troop and supply ships to counter the activities of what was then called the "Iregulars" or Irish Republican Army who were opposed to the Anglo/Irish Treaty. The largest of those vessels was the 600 ton steam packet "Lady Wicklow", shown below. Following the end of the civil war, the Coastal and Marine Service (CMS) was formed to provide for Naval and Fisheries roles. The CSM consisted of several launches armed with a single light machine gun, and some trawlers armed with a single 12 pounder gun. The largest CMS vessel was an ocean going tug/trawler (shown below in the r/h picture) the SS Dainty, converted to a Sloop and armed with A twelve pounder gun and 4 heavy machine guns. Barely a year later, the CMS was disbanded due to the dire economic situation of the time, and a Navy as such did not reapear until WW2. Sorry about the low quality of the picture's, these are the best I can find of these two ships.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lady wicklow.jpg (224.2 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg ss dainty.jpg (189.4 KB, 45 views)

Last edited by Aidan : 11-03-2010 at 01:41. Reason: you've guest it, spelling, ha ha.
Old 11-03-2010, 03:19
Petty Officer

Don't apologize for the pictures, they are grand. And I appreciate the history lession about Ireland's navy. On the topic of today's Navy, it a shame that your largest ship doesnt even break the 2,000 ton mark (unless my sources are wrong). The Irish Navy should aquire some more signifcant warships.
Old 11-03-2010, 10:41
Admiral

Quote:
The fleet comprises one helicopter patrol vessel, five offshore patrol vessels and two coastal patrol vessels.

Each vessel is equipped with state of the art machinery, weapons, communications and navigation systems.

--------------

Text extracted from this link about the IRISH NAVY:-

http://www.military.ie/naval/

(the way the RN is being run down the two might soon be like for like numerically)

Little h

GFXU - HMS Falmouth in Falmouth Bay
Old 11-03-2010, 10:56
Chief Petty Officer

Indeed they should, at present the largest vessel in the fleet is a 1,760 ton Helicopter Patrol Vesel. Talks are in hand for the construction of a multi-role troop carrying combat vessel. According to some naval personel that I talked to, there was a rumour that due to Irelands EU and UN commitments, the UN were putting pressure on Ireland to make a far greater contribution to UN peace keeping activities, particularly in a Naval role, and a suggestion was being examined to aquire one of the Royal Navy's Invincible class "Harrier Carriers" when they decommission, but I have been unable to find any "Official" confirmation of this.
Upon the outbreak of WW2, the various maritime and coastal departments in Ireland were reformed into the Marine Service and two Thornycroft Motor Torpedo Boats were purchased in 1940, a further four being purchased during 1941 to 1943, and along with four various converted vessels, this gave the Marine Service a total of ten small vessels to fulfill its entire wartime marine commitments. The first of these MTB's is shown below.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg M1.JPG (174.3 KB, 55 views)
Old 11-03-2010, 15:01
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Don't apologize for the pictures, they are grand. And I appreciate the history lession about Ireland's navy. On the topic of today's Navy, it a shame that your largest ship doesnt even break the 2,000 ton mark (unless my sources are wrong). The Irish Navy should aquire some more signifcant warships.

No offence but Ireland is a small country with a population of just over 4 million people. The warships she has are perfectly adequate for her needs and she does not need to project naval power outside of her own territorial waters - neither could she afford to.

Aidan - There could never be any truth in the rumour you mention about buying a Harrier Carrier.

Who would they get to fly them/maintain them?

Where would the ship be docked??

A nice thought but I am convinced with no basis in reality!!

HMS BADSWORTH [HUNT CLASS DESTROYER]
Old 11-03-2010, 15:21
Chief Petty Officer

Thats very true Terry, the size of the ships are not the problem, it's the numbers. For a small country, we have an exceptionally long coastline with many hundreds of miles of inland waterways. In recent years, drug smuggling and illegal fishing has become a real problem here and the Navy simply doesn't have enough ships to cover all the various tasks assigned to it. The most conservative estimate's here call for an additional 4 ships just to keep even, bearing in mind, many of the fleet are aprouching, and even exceeding 30 years service. And yes, Ireland simply couldn't afford bigger ships nor does she need to project power, although the EU and UN are applying pressure for her to increase her UN peace keeping abilities by way of larger Naval vessels, but I doubt very much anything will come of it.
Old 11-03-2010, 15:56
Petty Officer

Its a shame that it always boils down to finances.
Old 11-03-2010, 17:25
Vice Commodore

Quote:
Originally Posted by astraltrader View Post
No offence but Ireland is a small country with a population of just over 4 million people. The warships she has are perfectly adequate for her needs and she does not need to project naval power outside of her own territorial waters - neither could she afford to.

Aidan - There could never be any truth in the rumour you mention about buying a Harrier Carrier.

Who would they get to fly them/maintain them?

Where would the ship be docked??

A nice thought but I am convinced with no basis in reality!!
I agree Terry the republic of Ireland,s Navel Service is sufficient for her needs, she is in the great position that she can feed herself and keep warm in the event of a war. I was born in Dublin in 1939, and lived through the war, I remember it well shortages of tea sugar and coffee. But everything else was plentiful if you could afford it, and a lot could not. We were lucky my father had a good job, he worked for an oil company and they were very busy supplying oil to Britain. The other thing I missed was my uncles six of them joined the British forces three of them came back. Seventy thousand volunteered from the republic of Ireland, fifty thousand from the North of Ireland. I won't at this time go into the question of neutrality, but it must have got up Hitlers nose, that the German pilots who landed in Ireland were interned And the British and allied service men were repatriated. Im not surprised he bombed the North Strand, which blew the roof off our house, but killed alot of other poor souls.

Guz
Old 11-03-2010, 18:32
Forum Moderator

Thanks for sharing that anecdote Alan.

It goes to show that despite all the hostility between Ireland and Britain over her independance that there was and always be affinity between our two peoples.

Old 11-03-2010, 19:21
Chief Petty Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by astraltrader View Post
Thanks for sharing that anecdote Alan.

It goes to show that despite all the hostility between Ireland and Britain over her independance that there was and always be affinity between our two peoples.
Absolutely Terry, I couldn't agree more, and one continuing sign of that affinity is that all Irish Naval Officer recruits recieve training at Royal Navy establishments. Long may it continue.
Old 11-03-2010, 22:30
Forum Moderator

Thanks Aidan.

We have discussed in earlier posts the eight vessel size of the current Irish Navy but other than the excellent photo shown by your goodself of Le Aisling we have not yet shown any of the others.

I do have photos/pictures of the others somewhere on my hard-drive so I will begin with a few as I uncover them.

Firstly Le Aoife [P22] taken in 2007.
Followed by Le Ciara [P42].
Followed by Le Eithne [P31].
Finally Le Emer [P21].

Old 11-03-2010, 22:43
Forum Moderator

Then the other four ships.

Firstly Le Orla [P41].
Then a different shot of Le Aisling [P23].
Finally the two most recent additions to the Irish Fleet, built in 2001 and 1999 respectively.
Le Naimh [P52].
Le Roisin [P51].

Old 11-03-2010, 23:36
Vice Commodore

Thank you for the pictures Terry I was really impressed, to go from two converted merchantmen in eighty years. To what they have achieved, they have every right to be proud.

Guz
Old 11-03-2010, 23:42
Chief Petty Officer

Thanks Terry, there's some magnificent photo's there, thanks for posting. The ships in question are somewhat elusive when it comes to getting good photographs. I've seen every ship in the fleet but always when they were too far out to sea to get a good picture, or when I didn't have my camera with me, typical eh. Good quality photo's of Irish ships do seem to be hard to come by, there are plenty of stock photo's on the web, but their usually very low resolution. What ones I have got, particularly the earlier vessels, were very hard to find and the resolution is still below par.
Returning to my ad hoc history of the Irish Navy , it was only following the end of WW2 that Ireland finally aquired its first true ocean going Warships. Between November 1946 and Febuary 1947, the Irish Naval Service, as it was now officially named, took delivery of three ex Royal Navy Flower class Corvette's, the first being the LE Macha 01 (ex HMS Borage), the following two being LE Maev 02 (Ex HMS Oxlip) and LE Cliona 03 (ex HMS Bellworth). These three ships were to be the mainstay of the Navy for the next 25 years. (Unfortunately, I can not find a good photo of LE Maev). The two photo's of LE Cliona 03 show her with the origional pole mast and with the later updated lattice mast.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LE Macha 01.JPG (311.1 KB, 80 views)
File Type: jpg LECliona 03.JPG (221.8 KB, 71 views)
File Type: jpg LECliona 03 a.JPG (356.3 KB, 80 views)
Old 11-03-2010, 23:55
Forum Moderator

Thanks guys.

I agree with Guzz that the Irish ships now seem to be fine modern examples, although I fear that the present economic malaise affecting Ireland will preclude or at least delay much modernisation/additions to her fleet for at least the next 5-10 years.

I totally agree with you Aidan that it seems to be almost impossible to find any decent pictures of the older Irish warships.

I have many lo-res examples. Again as you say Le Maev is particularly thin on the ground and this in fact appears to be the only picture I have of her at all! [Apologies].
Attached Images
File Type: jpg EIRE-LE MAEVE-EX HMS OXLIP-1-1941-46-EIRE-1972.jpg (78.9 KB, 55 views)

Old 12-03-2010, 13:20
Chief Petty Officer

No worries Terry, that is in fact the only known picture of LE Maev, even searching for her in RN fit as HMS Oxlip does not return anything apart from a very low resolution distant bow on shot. I have a number of photo's taken on board the 3 Corvette's while in Irish service which are usefull for detail but it's impossible to tell which ship is which. Re the Harrier Carrier comments from your earlier post, I too doubt there is any real truth in it. I think it was just wishfull thinking by the Navy guys I was talking to. Docking an Invincible would be no problem, Halbowline Naval Base in Cobh, Cork, the home base of the Irish fleet is one of the best deep water harbours in Europe, and can handle cruise ships of 150,000 tons with ease, so that wouldn't be an issue. As you say, cost would be. We simply couldn't afford such a ship, nor is there the personel available to man it. Naturally it would be nice if we could have something like that as the airwing alone would have about ten times the firepower of the entire Irish Air force. A couple of Iowa's would be nice as well, if just to look at, but again, totally impractical. The crazy and annoying thing is if the Irish Government in their infinite lack of wisdom hadn't literally given away the huge Oil field that was discovered off the west coast, we could have afforded to build a very respectable fleet with the revenue from it. Its the age old story, the Military has always been the victims of Government policies. I've put some of the on board shots of the Corvettes below in the hope that perhaps someone might be able to identify which ship is which. I particularly like the one with the guy playing the accordian.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Irishcorvette1.JPG (235.7 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg Irishcorvette2.JPG (93.7 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg Irishcorvette3.JPG (107.4 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg Irishcorvette4.JPG (113.1 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg Irishcorvette5.JPG (102.6 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg Irishcorvette7.JPG (112.3 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg Irishcorvette8.JPG (107.1 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg Irishcorvette9.JPG (119.4 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg Irishcorvette10.JPG (115.9 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg Irishcorvette11.JPG (139.7 KB, 19 views)

Last edited by Aidan : 12-03-2010 at 14:00.
Old 12-03-2010, 13:58
Chief Petty Officer

As a certain supreme being keeps saying, seek and ye shall find!!! At last, I managed to find a half decent shot of LE Meav 02. I just found this while "trawling" thru a site about Spanish fishing vessles. I think it might possibly be the origional of the one you have Terry, or a copy thereof. The Meav was involved in the boarding and arrest of several spanish fishing boats operating inside Irish teritorial waters, perhaps thats why it was on the site.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Maev 2.jpg (82.3 KB, 59 views)
Old 12-03-2010, 14:03
Forum Moderator

Thanks for those Aidan. Do you have the originals or did they come from elsewhere?

I only ask because a 300+dpi scan might have shown up more detail.

Old 12-03-2010, 15:33
Chief Petty Officer

I'm afraid I dont have the origionals Terry, there just picture's I've found on various sites.

Ship Search by Name : Advanced Search
Random Timeline Entry : 23rd January 1933 : HMS Douglas : Arrived Malta