World Naval Ships Forums  
VIEW ALL OF OUR CURRENT SPECIAL OFFERS HERE!

Go Back   World Naval Ships Forums > Naval History > All Other Naval Ships
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

All Other Naval Ships Topics relating to a specific ship or ships from any country not mentioned above

Old 12-02-2010, 20:46
Chief Petty Officer

Default Danish Willemoes Class Fast Attack Craft

Looking for photographs of this class,especially the forward gun and the missile installations.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Willemoes Class Model.jpg (109.2 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0476.jpg (142.8 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg Willemoes 001.jpg (97.2 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg Willemoes 002.jpg (94.9 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg Willemoes 003.jpg (85.4 KB, 63 views)
Old 06-08-2016, 19:40
Vice Commodore

Default Re: Danish Willemoes Class Fast Attack Craft

Rarely, a type of warship appears, which is of its time. Some would say contemporary, a word i try to resist, but which is most appropriate for these 10 Danish 'convertibles' born from the desire to accomplish everything conceivable in 1 single hull, a type first in the littoral sense, and never matched since.
Never in the history of warships has one hull been so adaptable as this remarkable class from an era which is now defunct, a type born in the early 70's for a ship whose sole task was as a killer of everything and anything that floated, armed with guns, anti ship missiles, mines, torpedoes, hand held anti aircraft missiles, chaff, electronic warfare, all on a hull capable of 40 knots in fair weather.
A truly convertible hull, the likes of which naval warfare will never see again. Anything and everything since are but amateurish toys for boys in our third rock from the Sun.
My next post here will be the full gamut of options available in these hulls.
Old 13-08-2016, 11:32
Lieutenant-Commander

can remember being on exercise in the baltic with these boats, tootling along a 10kts in a SRMH and one of those came in and passed us in excess of 40kts
Old 13-08-2016, 16:54
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by davep View Post
can remember being on exercise in the baltic with these boats, tootling along a 10kts in a SRMH and one of those came in and passed us in excess of 40kts
Dave:

Can you help out this ignorant colonial ... what is an "SRMH?"
Old 13-08-2016, 18:22
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scatari View Post
Dave:

Can you help out this ignorant colonial ... what is an "SRMH?"
Tim,

I'll have a stab at this and offer Single Role MineHunter; see:-

Single Role Minehunter (SRMH)
Service - Navy

Description
The Sandown Class Single Role Minehunters (SRMHs) are the latest mine countermeasures vessels (MCMVs) in service with the Royal Navy and are designed to complement the Hunt Class mine countermeasures vessels. As a result of experience gained during the build of the Hunt Class MCMVs, Vosper Thornycroft (UK) Ltd was invited to design the SRMH. The result is the Sandown Class Minehunter of which six are already in service with the Royal Navy and three SRMH variants in service with the Royal Saudi Naval Forces.

Twelve SRMH’s are being delivered to the Royal Navy in two Batches. The last of the five Batch 1 SRMH’s, HMS Bridport, entered naval service in November 1994. In July 1994 a contract was awarded to Vosper Thornycroft (UK) Ltd for the provision of a further seven SRMH and the first of these Batch 2 ships, HMS PENZANCE, entered service in February 1999. The remaining six Batch 2 SRMH’s are currently under construction or undergoing weapon acceptance sea trials. A significant number of design improvements are being introduced into the Batch 2 SRMH’s and are detailed below.

BACKGROUND AND REQUIREMENT
In 1980 the Admiralty Board endorsed a new MCM concept policy. This included a recognition that there was a need to complement the capable but expensive multi-role Hunt Class MCMVs with a cheaper, single-role mine-hunting vessel. The SRMH was designed from the outset as a fully-integrated mine warfare system. However, unlike the Hunt Class it does not have a mine-sweeping capability.

Source here

Little h

GFXU - HMS Falmouth in Falmouth Bay
Old 13-08-2016, 18:25
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry.gibbon View Post
Tim,

I'll have a stab at this and offer Single Role MineHunter; see:-

Single Role Minehunter (SRMH)
Service - Navy

Little h
Thanks for this Harry - it wasn't a term I had encountered before.
Old 10-09-2016, 18:33
Vice Commodore

...and the full gamut of options were...
The 21st October 1967 was the date which truly awoke the West to the abilities of a small missile armed craft to wreak havock, sinking or damaging a larger adversary.
Israeli destroyer Eilat, the old ex RN destroyer Zealous, succumbed to 3 missile hits in open waters.
This historic naval moment was administered by Egyptian navy Komar class missile boats, ex Soviet project 183 torpedo boats, some of which were modified in the late 1950's - early 60's to carry P-15 Termit missiles, known to NATO as the SSN-2, or STYX (Mosquito), with a number transferred to Egypt.
A very rude wake up call. Action was needed to emulate this threat. The gauntlet having been thrown down, France quickly developed Exocet, the US, Harpoon. Others followed.
The days of the missile boat had arrived, the Komar and Osa being at the forefront. Western navies soon built rivals, the majority for smaller navies where the threat posed was disproportionate to their size.
10 years after Eilat, Denmark built the epitome of the type, with more options to their offensive weapons than seemed conceivable.
Old 16-12-2016, 19:40
Vice Commodore

The 10 Willemoes class defied all conventions and could fit a quart into a pint.

In 260 tons, 150'11" X 24'3" X 7'8" these boats were propelled to 40 knots using 3 X Proteus marine gas turbines producing 12,750hp, or cruise at 14 knots using 2 X GM diesels of 800hp. 3 X variable pitch screws helped.

The sensor fit was extensive for so much firepower topside with 9GR-208 air/surface search, 9LV-200 Mk 1 fire control, X band nav set and Racal B-1 ESM suite.

Permanent fixed weapons were 1 X single OTO Melara 76mm Mk M/71 fwd,
3 X 2 Bofors rocket launchers abreast bridge sides, and later, Seagnat Mk 36 decoys and 2 X Stinger Lv M/93 hand held close in anti aircraft missiles.

Now for all the convertible stuff...
i - 8 X Boeing Harpoon block 2 SSM and land attack missiles, although with 8 fitted there were stability issues. So...
ii - 4 X Harpoon plus 4 X anti ship torpedoes, early Type 6, later Type 613.
iii - 4 X Harpoon, 2 X 21" TT, 4 X mines Mk 55. Most common fit.
iv - 4 X Harpoon, 16 X mines.
All with a complement of only 26 to man these mad mothers....

Ship Search by Name : Advanced Search
Random Timeline Entry : 23rd January 1939 : HMS Eagle : Force I. At Colombo