World Naval Ships Forums  
VIEW ALL OF OUR CURRENT SPECIAL OFFERS HERE!

Go Back   World Naval Ships Forums > Naval History > All Other Naval Ships
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

All Other Naval Ships Topics relating to a specific ship or ships from any country not mentioned above

Old 18-07-2016, 18:42
Ordinary Seaman

Default Manchukuo Auxiliary Gunboats Question

Does anyone have information on the river gunboats Kiang Ping, Kiang Chin, Kiang An, and Li Tsy that were used by the Manchukuo Navy?

All I can find is one website which mentions that they were converted from Russian paddle tugs of the Chinese Eastern Railway and were also known in Japanese as Kotsu, Kohei, Kaima, and Ryusei.

I'm curious to learn about these vessels details such as individual size, engines, speed etc., as well as crew, armament, and what duties they performed during their service history?

Here is a link to the website I mentioned. It also has a photo of Kiang An in 1936: http://www.navypedia.org/ships/manch...cm_wwii_pg.htm

Any info would be appreciated.
Old 18-08-2016, 00:34
Chief Petty Officer

Default Re: Manchukuo Auxiliary Gunboats Question

Hi.
Not sure if the 'Li Tsy' that you ask about is the same vessel that I have listed as the Manchukuo 'Lisui'?

If it is then she began life as the Imperial German Navy's 'SMS Vaterland' a river gunboat taken over by China in 1917 and renamed 'Li Chieh'. Captured by the Japanese and turned over to Manchukuo.
Old 11-11-2016, 19:59
Ordinary Seaman

Default Re: Manchukuo Auxiliary Gunboats Question

Hi. No I think that's a different vessel. As far as I know the ones I was asking about all began life as paddle tugs for the Chinese Eastern Railway. I didn't see any mention of them having been German-made or in German service before.

Ship Search by Name : Advanced Search
Random Timeline Entry : 2nd January 1935 : HMS Harebell : Capt. J.S.G. Fraser relinquished Command