World Naval Ships Forums  
CURRENT SPECIAL OFFERS ON OUR HUGE SELECTION OF ART PRINTS!

Go Back   World Naval Ships Forums > Shore Leave > Shore Leave
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Shore Leave Off topic discussion and general chat.

Old 18-03-2012, 20:30
Sub-Lieutenant

Default Gunnery Instructors Badge

Please can anyone settle an 'argument' for me please? I've been told that the current Sea Cadet Corps Drill Instructors badge (the same as a gunnery instructors) has crossed grenades on it! I'm sure they are crossed guns, & have looked them up on the web to confirm that they are, but a SCC L/T CMDR is trying to tell me they are grenades!?
Old 18-03-2012, 20:52
Vice-Admiral

Default Re: Gunnery Instructors Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by lodesman View Post
Please can anyone settle an 'argument' for me please? I've been told that the current Sea Cadet Corps Drill Instructors badge (the same as a gunnery instructors) has crossed grenades on it! I'm sure they are crossed guns, & have looked them up on the web to confirm that they are, but a SCC L/T CMDR is trying to tell me they are grenades!?
He's either:

1) taking the P...

2) Thick,

or 3) should go to Specsavers!

Andy.

(A proper Old Stoker.)

OLD SHIPS: VANGUARD, CHAPLET, VIGILANT, ROEBUCK, PALLISER (x2), DIANA, TIGER, CENTAUR, EAGLE, BELFAST,
GANGES, RALEIGH, COCHRANE, SULTAN, TERROR, INSKIP, ROYAL ARTHUR, VICTORY, AMPHIBIOUS TRAINING UNIT, ROYAL MARINES. (Poole.)
Old 19-03-2012, 10:04
Vice Commodore

Think the same, I was a qualified drill instructor with the SCC at Teignmouth unit some years ago.

Derek (bunts)
Old 19-03-2012, 14:01
Vice-Admiral

Must admit GI's badges showed cross gun barrels ,each barrel was of two different diameters, I suppose if your imagination runs wild the barrels do look a little like the German potato masher grenade. Never having seen the Cadet force badge I am just guessing.
Old 19-03-2012, 14:14
Vice-Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsalt View Post
Must admit GI's badges showed cross gun barrels ,each barrel was of two different diameters, I suppose if your imagination runs wild the barrels do look a little like the German potato masher grenade. Never having seen the Cadet force badge I am just guessing.
Here's the real thing.

There is a difference in the way some of the barrels are laid. Left over right, and right over left! Don't know why.

Maybe its the 'GI' way. Going through the seven badges in sequence, it's: right, left, right, left, right, left, right!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg badges.jpg (355.7 KB, 32 views)

Andy.

(A proper Old Stoker.)

OLD SHIPS: VANGUARD, CHAPLET, VIGILANT, ROEBUCK, PALLISER (x2), DIANA, TIGER, CENTAUR, EAGLE, BELFAST,
GANGES, RALEIGH, COCHRANE, SULTAN, TERROR, INSKIP, ROYAL ARTHUR, VICTORY, AMPHIBIOUS TRAINING UNIT, ROYAL MARINES. (Poole.)

Last edited by ap1 : 19-03-2012 at 14:27.
Old 19-03-2012, 14:40
Admiral

SEA CADET
UNIFORM
REGULATIONS
APPENDIX 2 TO SEA CADET REGULATIONS (ASCR 2)
May 2011 Edition

SCC Sea Cadet drill badge is in this PDF

(scroll down nearly half way)

Little h

GFXU - HMS Falmouth in Falmouth Bay
Old 19-03-2012, 19:13
Rear-Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry.gibbon View Post
SEA CADET
UNIFORM
REGULATIONS
APPENDIX 2 TO SEA CADET REGULATIONS (ASCR 2)
May 2011 Edition

SCC Sea Cadet drill badge is in this PDF

(scroll down nearly half way)

Little h
Well, they look like guns to me. A bit thin in that illustration, but nevertheless guns!
Steve
Old 19-03-2012, 22:06
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap1 View Post
Here's the real thing.

There is a difference in the way some of the barrels are laid. Left over right, and right over left! Don't know why.

Maybe its the 'GI' way. Going through the seven badges in sequence, it's: right, left, right, left, right, left, right!
And here is the real thing on a real Chief G.I.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img209.jpg (194.9 KB, 34 views)
Old 20-03-2012, 07:28
Sub-Lieutenant

Thanks everyone for confirming what i thought was correct! Going to see said LT/CMDR (scc) at a Drill Competition at HMS Sultan at the end of March, should be an interesting conversation!!
Old 20-03-2012, 15:22
Vice-Admiral

Hi All

For what it's worth, I've never seen trunnions on a hand grenade before.

Mitch Hinde
Old 20-03-2012, 17:50
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny07 View Post
And here is the real thing on a real Chief G.I.
That's a bar on his long service and good conduct medal.

Ship Search by Name : Advanced Search
Random Timeline Entry : 23rd January 1936 : HMS Ashanti : Laid down

NAVAL PRINTS

Click above to see our naval art portal - Eight random half price items are displayed to the right.

Some Current Half Price Offers

DHM1449GS.  Tirpitz Passing Through Kiel Canal by Ivan Berryman.

Tirpitz Passing Through Kiel Canal by Ivan Berryman (GS)
Half Price! - £250.00
 Designed by the great Ernst Heinkel, the diminutive D.1 was an essential stop-gap that provided the Austro-Hungarian pilots with a front line fighter until they were able to re-equip with Albatros scouts in the Summer of 1917. This little aircraft performed well and was generally held in high regard by its pilots, although it did have some shortcomings, namely that forward vision was extremely limited and the Schwarzloses gun was completely concealed in the overwing pod that made it inaccessible in the air. Most unusual of all was its interplane strut arrangement, designed to reduce drag, which gave it the nicknames Starstrutter or Spider. These examples are shown passing above the German cruiser Derfflinger. 

Brandenburg D.1 by Ivan Berryman. (APB)
Half Price! - £60.00
 The heavy cruiser HMS Dorsetshire is brought up to sink the blazing wreck of the Bismarck with torpedoes at around 10:30 hours on the morning of May 27th 1941.  The once proud German ship had been ruthlessly pounded into a twisted and burning wreck by the British battleships Rodney and King George V.  HMS Dorsetshire and HMS Maori combed the area of the sinking for survivors, between them picking up a total of 110 out of an original complement of 2,300

HMS Dorsetshire (The End of the Bismarck) by Ivan Berryman. (AP)
Half Price! - £25.00
A pair of 272 Squadron Bristol Beaufighters roar over the extensively rebuilt battleship HMS Valiant as she lies at anchor at Alexandria late in 1941, accompanied by the cruiser HMS Phoebe and Valiants sister ship HMS Queen Elizabeth (in the extreme distance)

HMS Valiant and HMS Phoebe at Alexandria, 1941 by Ivan Berryman (P)
Half Price! - £2800.00

Originally constructed as a Home Fleet Repair Ship, HMS Cyclops was later converted into a submarine depot ship and enjoyed a long career, both in the Mediterranean and in home waters.  Here she prepares to receive HMS Sceptre.  Another S-class submarine is already tethered alongside.

HMS Cyclops Prepares to Receive HMS Sceptre by Ivan Berryman
Half Price! - £27.50
B111AP. The Pursuit of the Graf Spee by Ivan Berryman.

The Pursuit of the Graf Spee by Ivan Berryman (AP)
Half Price! - £25.00

Captain Morgan by Chris Collingwood (Y)
Half Price! - £40.00
 The heavy cruiser Prinz Eugen slips quietly through the waters of Kiel Harbour as one of her own Arado Ar.196s flies overhead. In the background, Bismarck, wearing her Baltic camouflage, is alongside taking on supplies.

Prinz Eugen by Ivan Berryman.
Half Price! - £15.00

SPORT PRINTS

Click above to see our sport art portal - Four random half price items are displayed to the right.

In the final moments of extra time of the game, the England number 10, Jonny Wilkinson slotted a perfect drop goal which clinched victory over Australia, winning 20 points to 17. 

Rugby World Cup Final 2003 by David Pentland.
Half Price! - £50.00
SPC5003. Rory Underwood by Rodger Towers.

Rory Underwood by Rodger Towers.
Half Price! - £60.00
The painting portrays the Manchester United midfielder and England Captain David Beckham celebrating after scoring from a trademark free kick.

Seven by Robert Highton. (Y)
Half Price! - £50.00
 The Minstrel, 1977, Shergar, 1981, Golden Fleece, 1982, .Teenoso, 1983, Reference Point, 1987, Nashwan, 1989.

Derby Winners by Peter Deighan.
Half Price! - £100.00

AVIATION PRINTS

Click above to see our aviation art portal - Four random half price items are displayed to the right.

The Short Stirling won the distinction as the RAFs first purpose built four engine monoplane bomber.  A strong, highly complex design it gained a reputation as a pilots aircraft to fly being agile for a big bomber and demonstrating great character.  Well over 2000 Stirlings provided stout service for the RAF in a variety of extremely important roles throughout WW2.
Stirling Service by Philip West.
Half Price! - £70.00
 A Mosquito Mk.BIX above the clouds in late 1943. Mosquito B.IX LR503 holds the record for the most combat missions flown by a single Allied bomber in the Second World War, serving 213 sorties.

A De Havilland Beauty by Ivan Berryman. (C)
Half Price! - £45.00
DHM925P.  Harrier in a Hyde by Geoff Lea.

Harrier in a Hyde by Geoff Lea (P)
Half Price! - £1300.00
In the early summer of 1944 the Me 262 became the worlds first operational jet aircraft. With a top speed of 540 mph it easily outperformed any Allied aircraft of WWII, and went on to revolutionise aerial warfare. A truly remarkable aircraft.
Luftwaffe Messerschmitt Me262A-1a by Barry Price.
Half Price! - £30.00

MILITARY PRINTS

Click above to see our military art portal - Four random half price items are displayed to the right.

After almost two months of continuous fighting in the front line, remnants of the 12th SS Panzer Division, Hitler Jugend, fall back under incessant air attacks by allied fighter bombers for their final battles in France. In their defense of the northern flank of what is to become the Falaise Gap the new Jagdpanzer IV in particular is to prove a formidable foe to the attacking British and Canadian tanks.

The Falaise Gap, Normandy, 12th - 20th August 1944 by David Pentland.
Half Price! - £100.00
 Wherever the GIs went they took their Jeeps with them, and before the war was run the little quarter-ton, 4-wheel drive, utility vehicle was as well known around the world as the Model T Ford. Nicolas Trudgian has painted a compelling image, set back in time when the little Jeep was omnipresent on and around the roads and battlefields of a war-torn world. It is Christmas 1944 and, as a gaggle of 339th FG P-51 Mustangs disturb the peace of this ancient English village, a little Jeep waits patiently outside the pub while her occupants sample the local ale. A wonderfully nostalgic painting that will bring back pleasant memories to many.
Welcome Respite by Nicolas Trudgian.
Half Price! - £70.00
 Hauptsturm fuhrer Fritz Klingenberg, and the men of 2nd SS Divisions Motorcycle Reconnaissance battalion stop at the swollen banks of the River Danube. The following day he and six men, a broken down radio, and totally unsupported were to capture the Yugoslavian capital of Belgrade.

The Magician, Balkans, 11th April 1941 by David Pentland. (Y)
Half Price! - £35.00
 Jagdpanthers of 654 heavy Tank Battalion engage 6th Guards Tank Brigade Churchills.
Debut at Caumont, Normandy, 30th July 1944 by David Pentland. (D)
Half Price! - £70.00