World Naval Ships Forums  
VIEW ALL OF OUR CURRENT SPECIAL OFFERS HERE!

Go Back   World Naval Ships Forums > Naval History > Royal Navy Ships and Crews
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Royal Navy Ships and Crews Topics relating to a specific Royal Navy ship or ships

Old 25-06-2011, 18:23
Forum Moderator

Default Re: HMS Furious

Hello Diane and I hope you make contact with Groveman regarding Bill Dixie. However, I should point out that Groveman only made three posts on the site, back in October 2007, but I hope he keeps looking in and sees your post.

Jim
Old 03-04-2012, 12:51
Ordinary Seaman

My Father also served on Furious durin the WW11 he was a chief petty officer i believe, he had somthing to do with the wireless'es on the Swordfish,

He recited a story to me about when durin a bombing raid he was guarding a hanger with another when a bomb came through the hanger ceiling and exploded the other chap was killed he was injured also but managed to climb the ladder out as the hanger filled with water.

his name was Joe ( Joseph ) Strand
Old 03-04-2012, 12:54
Ordinary Seaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becky2171 View Post
Hello Everyone

I am researching my grandfathers naval history.

My Grandfather John Henry William Hosking (known as Jack) served on HMS Furious from 9/4/1940 to 16/3/1943 & HMS Black Prince from 22/7/1944 to 29/9/1945. I am led to believe that he was in charge of the groups of four on the pom pom guns.

If anybody has any memories of being on either of these ships at the time of my grandfather or any photos, I would be truly grateful.

Thank you

Becky
this is a memory recall of my fathers time on furious, it is a copy and paste to another thread.

My Father also served on Furious durin the WW11 he was a chief petty officer i believe, he had somthing to do with the wireless'es on the Swordfish,

He recited a story to me about when durin a bombing raid he was guarding a hanger with another when a bomb came through the hanger ceiling and exploded the other chap was killed he was injured also but managed to climb the ladder out as the hanger filled with water.

his name was Joe ( Joseph ) Strand
Old 29-10-2012, 20:57
Ordinary Seaman

Default HMS Furious

Hi All.
I am trying to find out my fathers service history . As he died when I was four years old I know very little as my mothers said he did not talk about it very much.
He was a stoker on furious as a 19 year old from 1940 right the way through the war.
His name was Fredrick preece.
It would be great if someone knew him and had any pictures.
Many Thanks.
Kevin preece
Old 29-10-2012, 21:23
Commander

Kevin,

There are quite a few threads/posts regarding HMS Furious if you utilise the fairly self-evident 'Search' facility. It means a fair bit of browsing but you might come up trumps with some information relevant to your quest to find more out about your father.

There is a photograph here on post#6 of this thread that could be a start.

http://www.worldnavalships.com/forum...ht=HMS+Furious

Good luck

David
Old 31-10-2012, 19:51
Ordinary Seaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray's daughter View Post
My father, William Raymond Hopkins, served on HMS Furious during WW2. We have a few photos, but Dad never spoke about the war and as he died when I was 16, I never got to ask him about it. He was always called Ray, or, as i believe, with any sailor with the surname Hopkins, Polly. If anyone can pass on any information on Dad's time in the Navy, especially the time spent in America when The Furious was under refit in Philadelphia, I would be very appreciative. Rx
Hi . My father also served on hms furious as a 19 year old from 1940 right through the war.
As my father died when I was four year old I know very little about his time on his ship I also think he spent some time on hms ark royal.
His name was fredrick preece and I was wondering if anybody knew him or had some pictures of the crew.
I am trying to find out how to get his service record. And what places he went as he did not speak very much about it except to say he hoped we never have to see such things.
I now he went to norway. And to malta.
Many thanks.
Kevin
Old 20-03-2013, 22:01
Ordinary Seaman

hi my friend jim warrillow was on the furious [1937 to 1942] when it sailed to phillidelphia he then got a train to virginia where he borded the illustrious . until late 1943 when he was on the malaya in a loch in scotland where it was been used for target practice for the high ball bouncing bomb....does any one remember him ...hes 93 now....
Old 26-03-2013, 19:26
Ordinary Seaman

hi was he welsh,,,,,only asking as a friend of mine stoker james warrillow was on board the furious from 1938 t0 late 41 when he left the ship in philli to go to join the illustrious in virginia and he can remember a hopkins staying behind with some others to help with new crew
Old 24-09-2013, 10:07
Ordinary Seaman

Hi, my Father Donald King also served on the Furious, he was a stoker. He passed away a few years ago now. He had hundreds of photographs of his shipmates and the Furious, unfortunately all the photographs seem to have been lost although I am contacting family members to see what has survived. He would have loved to have seen this site. His elder brother Thomas King served on the Courageous and was lost with the ship in 1939. My father tried so hard to locate Thomas's wife and son who had returned to the USA after his death but pre computer age it was hard to find information. I would love to hear from anyone who knew either of these men.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dad.jpg (85.7 KB, 10 views)
Old 07-01-2014, 18:14
Ordinary Seaman

Hi there,
My father, Michael Mc Hale, served as a AB seaman aboard HMS Furious during WW2 . I don't see him on the photo of the crew displayed in this thread but I'm pretty sure this is him in the second row back from the front, second left, in this photo I found in an article from the Falkirk Herald about the Arctic Convoy Medal. I thought it might be of interest to others on this thread. My father died in 2005, aged 81.

Pauline Campbell
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (71.5 KB, 25 views)
Old 07-01-2014, 18:22
Forum Moderator

Hello Pauline and a very warm welcome to the Forums. I have taken the liberty of increasing the size of your photo, in the hope that someone can help to confirm his identification, or identify others in the photo.

Jim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image1.jpg (379.4 KB, 42 views)
Old 07-01-2014, 18:36
Ordinary Seaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbryce1437 View Post
Hello Pauline and a very warm welcome to the Forums. I have taken the liberty of increasing the size of your photo, in the hope that someone can help to confirm his identification, or identify others in the photo.

Jim
Thanks for that Jim...and for the welcome.
Old 24-01-2014, 01:14
Ordinary Seaman

Further to my previous post I have found one photograph of the Furious and another two of Donald King.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg furious.jpg (25.7 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg dad 1.jpg (21.2 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg dad lifeboat.jpg (16.4 KB, 23 views)
Old 22-12-2014, 16:38
Recruit

Default HMS Furious

hi everyone,
would like to find out if anybody here knew my father Thomas john ryan also known as buck who served on hms furious during the second world war
Old 13-05-2015, 23:16
Recruit

im very proud that my late father served on hms furious right trough the second world war and would love to find out if any knew of my father,his name was Thomas.john .ryan and so im told had the nick name buck as in the comic strip buck ryan, would love to hear if any one on here remembers him
Old 01-06-2016, 19:40
Recruit

Hello one and all: My name is Barry Marshall and I am the son of an RAF fighter pilot, Flt. Lt A.E.Marshall DFC DFM. My Dad fought in Battle of France and the Battle of Britain flying Hurricanes with the 73rd Squadron, they were then transferred to Middle East Command. They left Liverpool on HMS Furious Nov. 15th.1940 at 1030hrs, and arrived off the coast of The Gold Coast on December 27th 1940. He took off from the deck of HMS Furious and landed at Takoradi, flying Hurricane S/N P7485. This was the first leg for trip across Africa to Cairo. The was the first ever for a single engine fighter plane.
I am seeking as much information as possible about that trip. I have his diary which details the voyage, however any other snippets or details of the Furious would be greatly appreciated. I am compiling a "life-story" of Dad both for my family as well as other record keeping sources.
Any help will be greatly appreciated:
Barry Marshall
marshall850@hotmail.com
Old 01-06-2016, 21:55
Forum Moderator

Hello Barry and a warm welcome. I have moved your post to the existing thread on Furious. However, if you enter Furious into the Search engine, you will find she is mentioned on several other threads.

Jim
Old 01-06-2016, 22:55
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barmar View Post
Hello one and all: My name is Barry Marshall and I am the son of an RAF fighter pilot, Flt. Lt A.E.Marshall DFC DFM. My Dad fought in Battle of France and the Battle of Britain flying Hurricanes with the 73rd Squadron, they were then transferred to Middle East Command. They left Liverpool on HMS Furious Nov. 15th.1940 at 1030hrs, and arrived off the coast of The Gold Coast on December 27th 1940. He took off from the deck of HMS Furious and landed at Takoradi, flying Hurricane S/N P7485. This was the first leg for trip across Africa to Cairo. The was the first ever for a single engine fighter plane.

Barry Marshall
marshall850@hotmail.com

This would have been Convoy WS5A which was attacked by the German heavy cruiser HIPPER on Christmas Day. What did your father have to say about this episode?
Old 02-06-2016, 12:20
Lieutenant

Geoff Wellum's classic book "First Light" is used by the RAF College Cranwell as a text book.

One chapter is devoted to "Operation Bellows" where in August 1942 HMS Furious was used to get a flight of eight Spitfires close enough to fly into Malta to reinforce the air defences of the island. The flight deck on Furious was a bit short for a Spitfire with an external fuel tank and the means of succeeding in the task makes a very interesting read.

HMS Forester (1942 Refit)
Old 06-05-2017, 09:00
Able Seaman

Default Re: HMS Furious WW2

Hello,
I am researching the Irish side of my family history.
My great-uncle David Collins was a stoker on HMS Furious during WWII.
David (1917?-1944) was working in England when WWII broke out. Family lore says he was conscripted, but , since he was an Irish citizen, officially that's impossible, he must either have volunteered or been already in the Royal Navy at the outbreak of war. He died as a result of his service in the Navy, but here, again, I'm finding it difficult to reconcile family lore with the history books. A beautiful headstone, apparently renewed each decade by the Navy, shows his service number and rank 'D Collins David HMS Furious, 1st Class Stoker D/KX (or poss KN?) 91432 died 29th April 1944 aged 27 Pray for the soul of David of Rennies Co Cork R.I.P.'
Family members agree that David died of kidney failure. His ship was torpedoed, he and a few others survived but spent 15 days drifting at sea in a small boat with no provisions. They drank seawater to stay alive. After their rescue and discharge he returned home but sickened and died within 3 months.
Only, if you look up the history of the service of HMS Furious you don't get anything about it being torpedoed. I have his service number and, I believe that next year once he would have been aged over 100, a FoI request will release it to me (am I right?) and I'm eagerly searching for a family resemblance in the beautiful ship's crew photos on this forum.
Well, if anyone knows of an incident that fits the description, I would love to know more.
Many Thanks,
Caroline.
Old 06-05-2017, 18:43
Forum Moderator

Hello Caroline and a very warm welcome to the Forums. I found the entry for him on the Commonwealth War Graves Commission site here, which records him as HMS Furious. However, that is where he was serving when he died, but it does not say how long he had been on Furious, which could be a matter of days, weeks, or months.
His service record will be the best way to ascertain his service history, and it will be made easier by the fact that you have his Service Number (D/KX91432). You will find information about where to apply for a copy on this thread, although I suspect you will need to enquire to these sources:

1 - For service between1920 and 1955, you should contact:

The Directorate of Personnel Support (Navy), Navy Search, TNT Archive Services, Tetron Point, William Nadin Way, Swadlincote, Derbyshire, DE11 0BB. Tel: 01283 227913 Fax: 01283 227942 email: navysearchpgrc@tnt.co.uk

or

2 - For service records for persons serving after 1938, you should contact the following, using application forms obtainable from GOV.UK website:

RN Disclosure Cell, Room 48, West Battery, Whale Island, Portsmouth, Hampshire, PO2 8DX

As option 1 has an email address, it may be worthwhile emailing them to ask if they have his record and the cost.

Good luck with your research.

Jim
Old 08-05-2017, 15:22
Able Seaman

Thank you so much.
I will wait until 2018,19 to apply by when I am sure it will be over 100 years since his birth. His exact do birth is not known to us.

In the meantime, I'd still be curious to hear about any such incident.
Is it even plausible that they could remain adrift in such a way for such a long time in the middle of WWII?

Caroline
Old 08-05-2017, 15:40
Able Seaman

http://www.falkirkherald.co.uk/news/...hero-1-3135285

This article in the Falkirk Herald (by coincidence, my hometown) is great.

Tells how the stokers were lucky to have the heat of the 16 boilers on "the worst journey in the world"
Old 08-05-2017, 15:52
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caroline Collins View Post
Thank you so much.
I will wait until 2018,19 to apply by when I am sure it will be over 100 years since his birth. His exact do birth is not known to us.

In the meantime, I'd still be curious to hear about any such incident.
Is it even plausible that they could remain adrift in such a way for such a long time in the middle of WWII?

Caroline
His service record will have his exact date and place of birth. You will find lots of examples of Service Record contents in this section, usually preceeded by Service Record and the name of the person.

Jim
Old 12-01-2018, 21:25
Leading Seaman

Further search of Step-dad's photos.HMS Active H14. Written back "Provisions from Furious FAA attack on Petsamo 1941".
Quality not great but may be of interest.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Furious.jpg (506.7 KB, 26 views)

Last edited by SteveDavis573 : 12-01-2018 at 21:27. Reason: Omission

Ship Search by Name : Advanced Search
Random Timeline Entry : 12th January 1919 : HMS Grenville : Sailed Rosyth for Plymouth