World Naval Ships Forums  
VIEW ALL OF OUR CURRENT SPECIAL OFFERS HERE!

Go Back   World Naval Ships Forums > Naval Books > Naval Book Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Naval Book Forum Discuss naval books here.

Old 20-11-2017, 04:53
Leading Seaman

Default Re: What Are You Reading At The Moment?

FULL CIRCLE The Story of Air Fighting by Air Vice-Marshal J. E. 'Johnnie' Johnson.

Picked it up form an OP shop for 20 cents. 20 cents well spent!
Old 25-12-2017, 16:37
Sub-Lieutenant

First of all,

MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Second of all, gotta LOVE the Wife! She gave me "French Battleships of World War One" by John Jordan and Phillipe Caresse.

I have really enjoyed Jordan's books on the French Navy. I don't know what his next project will be but I hope he continues with the aircraft carriers and into the Post-1955 fleet.

Bigger Guns, MORE POWER!

Old 07-01-2018, 23:08
Admiral

Just finished reading "War Beneath the Sea: Submarine Conflict During World War II" by Peter Padfield.

A very comprehensive history of the submarine forces of the major combatants in WWII.

A good informative read.

Published: 1995

ISBN: 978-0471249450
Old 12-01-2018, 00:27
Admiral

Exclamation Re: What Are You Reading At The Moment?

COCOA SIR?

Sober Men and True: Sailor Lives in the Royal Navy 1900-45 by Christopher McKee
Harvard, 285 pp, £19.95, May 2002, ISBN 0 674 00736 0
Rule Britannia: The Victorian and Edwardian Navy by Peter Padfield
Pimlico, 246 pp, £12.50, August 2002, ISBN 0 7126 6834 9

Shortly before she died a few years ago, my Aunt Lizzie was recalling her courting days in the late 1920s and early 1930s and remembering the dance-halls in the locality; places which survived into the 1960s and were familiar to me, too. The St Margaret’s Hall and the Kinema Ballroom, Dunfermline; the Palais, Cowdenbeath; and the ‘Snake Pit’, Rosyth. That wasn’t the last’s real name, which neither my aunt nor I could remember. It was really no more than a big room above the Co-op store, near the roundabout on Admiralty Road. On the way home from the pictures – the Rosyth Palace, maybe having seen there a naval epic such as The Cruel Sea or Above Us the Waves – I sometimes stood at the bus stop opposite and listened to the drums, trumpet and saxophone, and through the windows saw the shadows of people dancing in a subdued orange light.

I never went inside. My Aunt Lizzie hadn’t been inside either. Sailors went there. On-screen heroism was one thing, but: ‘Oh, you couldnie gan wi’ a sailor,’ my aunt said. ‘Folk thought that was terrible. They’d say: “Is that no’ awfie! She’s in the street wi’ a sailor.”’ She was laughing when she said this; partly because it was all so long ago, and partly at the snobbery of it. She herself was a miner’s daughter and worked in a linen mill. Eventually she married a stonemason. As partners, miners, factory workers, locomotive firemen and, of course, stonemasons were all fine – tip-top. But sailors! ‘I think he’s giving you the eye Lizzie.’ ‘Let’s be going for the last tram.’

For most of the last century, the sailors of the Royal Navy were very plentiful in this part of Scotland. They poured from the gates of Rosyth’s Naval base whenever a cruiser or an aircraft-carrier came in, to supplement the sailors who were more or less permanently there on frigates, destroyers, tugs, boom defence boats, and on a whole flotilla of minesweepers (though they were kept in a separate harbour, Port Edgar, across the Forth). Ten thousand or so civilians worked at the dockyard to repair and supply the fleet, and went to and from their work in fleets of buses and special trains. Many had come north from the Royal Navy’s heartland in Southern England: Chatham, Portsmouth, Devonport. A whole town had been built to accommodate them: Rosyth Garden City. Many if not most of my relations worked at the dockyard – Rosyth was a handy provider of employment after the mills and mines of West Fife had begun to close in the 1930s – and as a boy I was infected with Naval enthusiasm. At home I underscored ships’ names in the ABC of British Warships with purloined dockyard pencils stamped with the words War Department and the Crown. These were the ships I had seen from our front window – the destroyers Daring and Diamond, the aircraft-carrier Eagle, the cruiser Gambia, the triple-funnelled minelayer Apollo – as they travelled upriver on their way to their dockyard moorings, their presence there proved a day or two later on local streets and on local buses by the ribbons on sailors’ caps, the ship’s name embellished in gold. In the summer we would crawl through the whin bushes on the hills behind the house to see how close we could get to a sailor lying on the grass with a girl – a girl who had not been so circumspect as my aunt, with a man who was ignorant of the best local courting geography. In this way, we hoped to see sex in flagrante. I don’t think we ever did but sometimes a man in dark blue – navy blue – bell-bottoms would rise from a clearing in the whins and shout at us fiercely.

Continues at - https://www.lrb.co.uk/v25/n01/ian-jack/cocoa-sir

Ship Search by Name : Advanced Search
Random Timeline Entry : 25th January 1945 : HMS Alderney : Launched