World Naval Ships Forums  
CURRENT SPECIAL OFFERS ON OUR HUGE SELECTION OF NAVAL ART PRINTS!

Go Back   World Naval Ships Forums > Models and Modelling > Modelling Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 27-06-2015, 18:43
Admiral

Default Re: HMS Victorious

Evening Phill and welcome back to the forum.

Glad you have settled down now and know what you have experienced many times in my life but now hope I'm going to stay put now .

the main question I have concerns the 20 man life rafts and what they looked like
Old 02-08-2015, 16:38
Admiral

Well dear readers progress is being made albeit at a slow pace .

I have removed most of the life rafts previously fitted and rightly or wrongly replaced with newer style ones that are more recognisable as life rafts by their distinctive shape

Stripped out the electric motors and smeared the prop shafts with lubricant as they have not turned for a fair while , and repaired a few electrical faults that raised their collective heads .

Any of you bright sparks have any idea why the smoke generate is not working Foggy type using 24v ]
its light is on and the fan turns .....but no smoke when the motors are run

Tidied up the island structure and redesigned the circuit board for the many lights that work on the mast / nav lights/ and flight control system , and altered the Radar slightly but thats been the extent of the refurb works to date ....

Lost a rotor blade on the wessex but managed to repair it and reinforce the flimsy rotor boss , just got to repaint and that to now working ....as my fellow modellers know only to well its a bit like the Forth Bridge with my models ..just get them functioning correctly and the defaults list overtakes you ......but my boats work not sit in pristine condition gather dust .....so the price you pay
Old 02-08-2015, 19:10
Vice-Admiral

Well done Ivor, keep at it mate. Great to see you fettling again, it can be so therapeutic at times, (and frustrating at other times).

Ask Ron Dean about your 20-man liferaft capsules, I'm sure that they were included in my 1/96 kit of ZULU. (Or were they 10-man??).

Here's to your continuing fightback to full health.

Sandy.
Old 02-08-2015, 20:29
Admiral

Thank you Sandy for your kind thoughts , as you are no doubt aware I am keeping a fatherly eye on the latest ship in your charge

During the recovery stage I have relinquished my dockyard better known here as the dining room and emptied the garden shed and converted it to its intended use as a workshop , power on lights and machinery fitted and vice recovered from Karens dining table and pelleted the holes left once unbolted ....thorough if nothing else :roll eyes:

Sadly the workshop is 8x10 so Victorious has to be fitted in on both benches separately .........oh the downside of big models eh Sandy as I am sure you are aware ......but needs be..... so make it so eh.

I still have part of the attached work shop but not very big but good for fiddly jobs in the warm
Old 03-08-2015, 14:25
Admiral

Heres a couple of pics to illustrate what I was waffling on about

1/ revamped working radar
2/revamped superstructure with all the lights now working [ will do one with them all switched on later
3/new life rafts fitted on part of the port side
4/ Victorious "shoe horned" in summer dockyard.

Despite my best efforts I still can't get any smoke out of my "Foggy" smoke generator .....any tips lads ?

still have rumble on port motor and narrowed it down to the motor itself or the first of the two prop shafts and only present at low revs funnily enough , and it disappears when you give it more throttle but then who's seen an aircraft carrier over taking a MTB ...just don't look right
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF3338.jpg (589.0 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF3340.jpg (791.6 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF3341.jpg (658.2 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF3342.jpg (899.0 KB, 32 views)
Old 03-08-2015, 20:48
Sub-Lieutenant

Looks like you will need a bigger shed Ivor, but she is looking good.

Frank
Old 04-08-2015, 07:16
Admiral

Looking real tiddly, Ivor, all you need no is some decent weather to sail her!.
Jim
Old 04-08-2015, 08:25
Admiral

Thank you Frank , yes it is a tad cramped but at least I'm back in the dock again and making progress .

I had to order some additional fine line architectural section [ posh word for plastic strip ] to carry on with the alterations and it aint cheap but sadly unless you have a plastic extruder and dies life would be a lot harder to complete the model .

PLasticard is great for bulking out the piece but without the sections angles , channels , tube , box tube and such like -its very difficult to gain the structure you seek to look correct .

first thing for my wish list would be a turntable
Old 04-08-2015, 08:29
Admiral

Thank you Jim , for your kindness , If I can get the alterations done by next week I can move onto the bow section and finish her off but some where in amongst that lot I must re felt the roof before the rain returns again , if I have any hope of getting her back in the water this autumn
Old 04-08-2015, 09:17
Admiral

Ivor, quite a lot of model smoke generators on 'you tube', you might get some ideas.
Jim
Old 04-08-2015, 09:56
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivorthediver View Post
Thank you Jim , for your kindness , If I can get the alterations done by next week I can move onto the bow section and finish her off but some where in amongst that lot I must re felt the roof before the rain returns again , if I have any hope of getting her back in the water this autumn
The "Vic" is looking good , the fence looks OK , so all you need now is some Felt , a Hammer and a burst of wotsit to the brain and it will be all systems go.

Don't give him a smokescreen Jim or he won't be able to see the roof

Dave H
Old 04-08-2015, 13:19
Commodore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivorthediver View Post
Heres a couple of pics to illustrate what I was waffling on about

1/ revamped working radar
2/revamped superstructure with all the lights now working [ will do one with them all switched on later
3/new life rafts fitted on part of the port side
4/ Victorious "shoe horned" in summer dockyard.

Despite my best efforts I still can't get any smoke out of my "Foggy" smoke generator .....any tips lads ?

still have rumble on port motor and narrowed it down to the motor itself or the first of the two prop shafts and only present at low revs funnily enough , and it disappears when you give it more throttle but then who's seen an aircraft carrier over taking a MTB ...just don't look right
Looking good Ivor, keep up the good work, you should ask for felt donations.
on this day in 1959, I was probably on the goofing deck watching the landings on and takings off.
Sunny Ocala FLA USA
http://www.barrylockyer.com/

Old 04-08-2015, 18:59
Admiral

Thanks for the interest , and comments Barry , as for the goofing Barry if you look closely ......there are many differing ranks up there already and Chalky in his break from the Radar gaff nosing about .....bless him his wearing the short sleeve rig
Old 04-08-2015, 19:06
Admiral

Nothing wrong with our fence painting schedule in hour house mate......its the roof needing attention but karen said its on her list of things to do .
Old 04-08-2015, 21:23
Admiral

Mind you foot the ladder properly while she' up there. And NO looking up.
Jim
Old 24-08-2015, 16:20
Admiral

Sorry there has not been many pics of late but i have been embroiled in taking out and rewiring endless fittings to accommodate the new Plug in sections of the stern .

this should save a lot of time setting up the two halves at the waterside but what a performance and spent a lot of time trying to find the rite ribbon wire to help ease and identify the terminal ends ...but getting there .

Refitted a couple vampires on the stern half of the flight deck and am in the process of fitting amber LED fittings in the jet outlet to imitate jets alight

I am right in thinking that these early jets had no nav lights fitted am I ?
Old 28-08-2015, 11:33
Admiral

Still only part way through the refurb but thought I had better show some pics if only to give you something to discus:roll eyes:

Hmmm think the admin man can help ?
Old 28-08-2015, 13:08
Admiral

if at first you don't suck seed

Are suck cess

Pic one shows stern looking forard and aircraft
Pic two shows bow looking aft .

If this posts ok I will show you more and describe what it is I have been up to in more detail .

The Aircraft are not 100 percent scale but as near as I could obtain at the time of construction .

The jets on the bow Cats are fitted where applicable with flashing Nav lights and jet exhaust lights in the form of 3mm amble ultra bright LED's

I apologise for the whaler left on the flight deck near the no 2 trip wire , which must have fallen on the deck un-noticed before I brought it out of the dockyard [ alright ..shed!]

For the purists who will no doubt point out to me that the underslung catwalks on the stern and the port side catwalk fitted below the canted deck I can only think have never built a working model and only like glass case static models that gather dust
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF3344.jpg (793.3 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF3345.jpg (528.4 KB, 8 views)
Old 28-08-2015, 13:18
Admiral

Heres a couple more while the going is good ..........
1/ Starboard aft view
2/Starboard side view
3/ Port aft view
4/ Port mid superstructure
5/ Port flank view
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF3347.jpg (562.6 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF3348.jpg (499.5 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF3349.jpg (695.6 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF3352.JPG (1.06 MB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF3360.JPG (1.06 MB, 6 views)
Old 28-08-2015, 13:52
Admiral

and just to illustrate the coupling that has necessitated a major rewire refit to help whilst getting her into the water

I opted for the male /female choc block way of doing it as joining to halves of a large model joined at the waters edge along with making eighteen electrical contacts between the fore and aft sections is no joke , let alone the three are sealed lead acid batterys she needs of power up the lighting , sound effects , and navigation equipment is no mean feat
1/ rear of bow section showing installed block fitted beneath the flight deck
2/shows profile of aft section tag block [ not yet wired in to aft section of model
3/Radar and bridge
4/ trolly used to lower her down the ramp like a yacht would be

all the fitted lights that work including landing light rig on port side, nav lights , bridge lights , mast flashing warning lights are all 3mm leds wired into the controls via two mains distribution boxes which are controlled by my Spectrum 6E radio control gear via three double switching boxes , and a 6amp amplifier for the sound pack , and when its back a leg MMB Foggy smoke unit .

Who said modelling was easy .......certainly not me or Sandy and more importantly , a loving understanding wife to keep me supplied with hot coffee and food to keep me sane [ well almost ]

It is all getting more albour intensive now that my body is throwing in the towel so to speak but I find 90% enjoyment constructing and all the challenges and a contented10% sailing this brute .......all of which was done as a tribute to our dear sadly missed Chalky White ...and if you look closely at the viewing platform above the flight control cabin you'll see Chalky in working kit with his hands on his hips looking down and saying What a ....... mess I have made of this attempt at his beloved berth
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF3364.JPG (1.05 MB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF3365.JPG (1.03 MB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF3361.JPG (1.08 MB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg SS100870.JPG (896.6 KB, 14 views)
Old 28-08-2015, 17:18
Vice Commodore

That is a fine looking model there Ivor, more power to your elbow come launching time, she looks as though she's a heavyweight.
Given all the illuminations fitted, will you be sailing on a moonlight night down on the lake, or place her in the living room for Xmas!

Keep smiling!!

Jack.
Old 28-08-2015, 17:34
Forum Moderator

Great work Ivor and good to see that Chalky is keeping an eye on things.

Jim
Old 28-08-2015, 19:04
Admiral

She looks grand Ivor - well done yourself.

In addition to Chalky's presence, do I also see our own Gannet Driver in his cockpit?
Old 28-08-2015, 19:56
Admiral

Your to kind lads but thank you for your comments .............I wish I could have had a different life and been in the navy we once had and been part of that unique brotherhood myself as an equal rather than a frustrated admirer of Navy life and our past position as leader of Naval life

Thank you jack she has had her maiden voyage prior to the fit out now reaching completion

Thank you Jim .....there are to many incidences during the build to say i did it without his watchful glance over my shoulder

well Tim you don't miss much do you eh but thats a lecy doing some repairs and the crew are behind and approaching the rear starboard quarter of the gannet .....thanks mate.....did you see him on the bridge looking down at the Gannet .....his there if you look hard enough

Last edited by ivorthediver : 28-08-2015 at 20:18.
Old 28-08-2015, 20:14
Admiral

Have another look at post 605 2nd pic thats Chalky in the light blue shirt off duty in front of the four ratings and the ships Surgeon about to go down the steeps in the outside and below the Radar platform .....see him now

Ship Search by Name : Advanced Search
Random Timeline Entry : 18th January 1939 : HMS Eclipse : Arrived Rosyth

NAVAL PRINTS

Click above to see our naval art portal - Eight random half price items are displayed to the right.

Some Current Half Price Offers

The Last of the heavy Cruisers built by Germany (5 in total) The picture shows Admiral Hipper making her first sortie on the 18th February 1940, accompanied by the Scharnhorst and the Gneisenau on Operation Nordmark. (Search for allied convoys on the route between Britain and Norway)

The Narvik Squadron by Anthony Saunders.
Half Price! - 75.00
HMS Coventry comes under air attack from aircraft off Tobruk, 14th September 1942.  As well as losing the anti-aircraft cruiser HMS Coventry, the Allies also lost  HMS Zulu and six coastal craft sunk by bombing as they were returning from Tobruk.  HMS Coventry was rated as one of the most effective anti-aircraft ships in the entire British navy, downing more aircraft than any other ship.

HMS Coventry by Ivan Berryman (AP)
Half Price! - 25.00
 The view across Battleship Row, viewed from above Ford Island as the USS Nevada gallantly makes her break for the open sea, coming under heavy attack from Japanese A6M2s from the carrier Hiryu. The Nevada was eventually too badly damaged to continue and was beached to avoid blocking the harbour entrance. In the immediate foreground, the lightly damaged USS Tennessee is trapped inboard of USS West Virginia which has sunk at her moorings, leaking burning oil and hampering the daring operations to pluck trapped crew members from her decks, while just visible to the right is the stern of the USS Maryland and the capsized Oklahoma.
Attack on Pearl Harbor by Ivan Berryman (AP)
Half Price! - 25.00
 A splendid little war was how John Hay, ambassador to Britain, described the Spanish-American war of 1898. Though the war was small in scope it was large in consequences; it promoted the regeneration of the American Navy and the emergence of the United States as a major world power. Fought primarily at sea, the war created an American naval legend in its opening encounter between the pacific squadrons of Spain and the United States at Manila Bay on the 1st of May 1898. At sunrise Admiral Dewey, leading the American fleet in his flagship the USS Olympia, had caught the Spanish fleet, under Admiral Patricio Montojo, by surprise - still anchored off Sangley Point at Manila Bay in the Philippine Islands. Defeat for the Spanish was total and heralded the end of a once extensive Spanish empire in the Americas. Montojos flagship, Reina Cristina, is seen here under fire from the Olympia.

The Battle of Manila Bay by Anthony Saunders (Y)
Half Price! - 82.50

In the early morning murk of 24th May 1941, the forward 15in guns of HMS Hood fire the first shots against the mighty German battleship Bismarck. Both Bismarck and her escort, the Prinz Eugen, immediately responded, the latter causing a fierce fire on Hoods upper deck, while plunging shot from Bismarck penetrated deep into the British ships hull, causing an explosion that ripped the Hood apart, sinking her in an instant. Tragically, just three survivors were rescued from the water.

HMS Hood Opens Fire Upon the Bismarck by Ivan Berryman. (Y)
Half Price! - 230.00
On 29th and 30th April 1944, while surfaced close to jagged reefs, and Japanese shore guns, the USS Tang rescued 22 downed flyers from Task Force 58s strikes against enemy positions on the islands - This was the largest rescue of airmen by a submarine in the war. USS Tang (SS-306) would later be sunk by its own torpedo off Formosa, on the 24th of October 1944.

USS Tang, The Life Guard of Truk Atoll by Robert Barbour.
Half Price! - 50.00
 The largest and fastest of all the ships that took part in the Battle of Jutland, the elegant battle cruiser HMS Tiger was launched in 1913 and is easily recognisable by the unusual position of Q turret just aft of the third funnel, She is shown about  to pass beneath the Forth Bridge as she departs Rosyth for a sea trial

HMS Tiger by Ivan Berryman
Half Price! - 15.00
The nuclear-powered submarine HMS Repulse (S23) manoeuvres in preparation to berth at HMS Dolphin in Portsmouth harbour in the late 1970s.

HMS Dolphin by Ivan Berryman. (AP)
Half Price! - 25.00

SPORT PRINTS

Click above to see our sport art portal - Four random half price items are displayed to the right.

Depicting Englands emphatic 1995 grand slam victory.

1995 Grand Slam by Scott Bridges. (Y)
Half Price! - 80.00
SP4.  Desert Orchid by Mark Churms.

Desert Orchid by Mark Churms.
Half Price! - 35.00
David Coulthard made his Grand Prix debut at the Spanish Grand Prix in 1994.  Only an electrical problem with his Williams Renault stopped Coulthard finishing 3rd in his first ever Grand Prix.  This performance was enough to confirm his potential and earn a drive for the 1995 season.  Winning at Estoril, on the podium at Interlagos, Magny-Cours, Silverstone, Hockenheim, Hungaroring and T I Aida, placed him third in the championship in his first full Grand Prix season.  Coulthard moved to McLaren for the 1996 season proving on many occasions that he could match the pace of team leader Mika Hakkinen, who has a reputation as one of the fastest.  For 1997, Coulthard took over the mantle of Britains No.1 driver and was well qualified to do so.  Winning at Melbourne and Monza, second at A1 Ring and Jerez.  Fourth in the championship prior to Schumachers exclusion.  Coulthard drives with a balance of flair and aggression which earned him considerable respect.  After nearly fifteen years as a top flight driver, Coulthard has now retired from driving, leaving a remarkable legacy behind him.  Twice winner of the British Grand Prix in 1999 and 2000, he has represented Scotland and Great Britain at the highest level of motorsport for well over a decade.

Tribute to David Coulthard by Stuart McIntyre
Half Price! - 23.00
 Ferrari Pit Stop 2001.
Masters of Strategy II by Michael Thompson.
Half Price! - 33.00

AVIATION PRINTS

Click above to see our aviation art portal - Four random half price items are displayed to the right.

Group Captain Billy Drake in Hurricane JX-P of No.1 Sqn scoring his first victory, an Me109 during the Battle of France, on 20th April 1940.

Billy Drake - First of Many by Ivan Berryman.
Half Price! - 85.00
 A Vulcan bomber returns from one of the Black Buck missions to the Falklands, preparing to touch down at RAF Ascension Island after what was the longest range bombing mission in history.

Vulcan Return by Ivan Berryman.
Half Price! - 40.00
 Phantom II of US Marine Corps, VMFA-531 (Grey Ghosts) Vietnam, Danang April 1965.

Phantom II by David Pentland.
Half Price! - 35.00
 An ignominious end for an Albatros C.III demands an act of compassion by a British medical team who are first on the scene of a crash in the early years of World War 1.

Not All Landings Are Good Landings by Ivan Berryman. (P)
Half Price! - 750.00

MILITARY PRINTS

Click above to see our military art portal - Four random half price items are displayed to the right.

After suppressing the initial German defences, the Sherman Crab flail tank of Lance Sgt Johnson, 3 Troop C Squadron the 22nd Dragoons, 79th Armoured Division,  clears a path through a minefield to allow tanks of 27th Armoured Brigade, and men of 3rd Infantry Division to breakout  from the beaches. Fire support from surviving Sherman DD (amphibious) tanks of 13th /18th Hussars (QMO), proved invaluable in the initial push towards Caen

D-Day, Sword Beach, Normandy 1944 by David Pentland. (GS)
Half Price! - 250.00
 OT34 Flamethrower tank and men of Col. Krickmans 6th Guards Tank Brigade take part in the Soviet counter attacks of 13th-27th September in defence of the southern factory district of Stalingrad before the final offensive in October.

Motherland, The Battle of Stalingrad, September 1942 by David Pentland.
Half Price! - 95.00
 British MK1 Grant tanks of the Staffordshire Yeomanry 8th Armoured Brigade, 10th Armoured Division, breakout from El Alamein.

Operation Supercharge, 4th November 1941 by David Pentland. (AP)
Half Price! - 115.00
 Captain R. Blair Paddy Mayne, and men of L detachment SAS, stop to discuss their location en route to Sidi Haneish airfield. The raid was a major victory, especially for the newly acquired jeeps, which played an important part in the destruction of some 40 enemy aircraft for the loss of one man.

Paddys Troopers, The Sidi Haneish Road, 17th July 1942 by David Pentland. (GL)
Half Price! - 300.00