World Naval Ships Forums  
VIEW ALL OF OUR CURRENT SPECIAL OFFERS HERE!

Go Back   World Naval Ships Forums > Naval History > Royal Navy Ships and Crews
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Royal Navy Ships and Crews Topics relating to a specific Royal Navy ship or ships

Old 23-01-2012, 20:13
Ordinary Seaman

Default Re: HMS Protector

Hi Clive,

Help yourself as the photographer is unknown. It has been on the 'Falkland Reunion /Chay's stop for Smoko' on Facebook for a few days but no luck yet.

You should stop by for a visit as many '82 vets do

Rgds/Mike
Old 23-01-2012, 20:35
Forum Moderator

Cheers Mike ....

"Strive for perfection in everything you do. Take the best that exists and make it better. When it does not exist, design it." - Sir Henry Royce
Old 26-01-2015, 13:07
Ordinary Seaman

Out of interest my father was stoker petty officer on ship protector from 1/8/39 to 30/2/40 name longman robert until toredoed i have a photo of the ship and all hands includeing her badge
Old 03-10-2017, 15:39
Rear-Admiral

Default INFORMATION REQUIRED: HMS Protector

I have been forwarded this request:

Quote:
INFORMATION REQUIRED: HMS Protector
Peter Foston (Frobisher - 1946) has been asked by the College Museum [at Britannia Royal Naval College Dartmouth] to paint watercolours of all the ships that have been used for Cadet training. He is doing this free of charge and wants to ensure the paintings are as accurate as possible. He has done eighteen so far but is stuck on HMS Protector, in her pre Antarctic fit out (1953/54), as the only available photos are not clear.
She is said, in (Janes 1953) to have had a twin 4in and ten 20mm Oerlikons. Peter has established that the twin 4in was mounted aft and that a twin powered Oerlikon was mounted on the fore deck but cannot find where the other eight Oerlikons were mounted. If anyone can HELP PLEASE contact Peter.
PM me for his contact details.

Rob
www.mcdoa.org.uk

Last edited by Rob Hoole : 03-10-2017 at 15:53.
Old 03-10-2017, 17:18
Forum Moderator

Got a photo of Protector at the Fleet Review 1953 but my untrained eye can only see two possible Oerlikon mountings, on focsle and just forward of aft 4.5" mounting. Apart from just aft of the funnel there seems little unobstructed space to have other mountings, due to rigging etc.
See post #5 for a similar photo of her in 1953

Jim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg protector-1953.jpg (355.7 KB, 42 views)
Old 03-10-2017, 22:09
Petty Officer

Seems to me that 5 would be present.
1 in front of bridge.
1 in bridge wings port and starboard (only port side is visible in this photo)
1 each side on the platform abaft the director and forward of the twin 4 inch (in the photo only the port side is visible but the mount is well out to the corner of the deck, suggesting it is not a centre line mount and that there would be a matching one to starboard). There is another photo posted on page 2 (third of a line of four) which shows the port bridge wing and port after mount turned outboard which makes the gun barrels much more visible as black lines to the left of the gunners protective cabin as you look at the photo (to the rhs of the cabin if you were sitting in it).

For me the recognition feature of the twin Mk V oerlikon in a side view is the almost triangular side to the gunners protective cabin. The gun barrels to the right of that never seem that visible as the only extend a short distance in front of the protective cabin.

I'm on the tablet At present which makes flicking backwards and forwards on threads difficult. I hope this helps.

I see that there is also a photo posted which must be from 1945/46 judging by the Camoflage (post 5 I think) which shows a completely different configuration aft which potentially means up to 7 twin oerlikon mounts if I am not imagining them! I've not seen that one before so will have to go back and investigate tomorrow.

Last edited by EwenS : 03-10-2017 at 22:26.
Old 04-10-2017, 09:56
Petty Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batstiger View Post
Here's the old girl taken from a different angle in Grand Harbour.

Bob.
I've now had a chance to look in detail at the picture posted by Batstiger in post 7 on this thread and have come to the conclusion that this is not HMS Protector but her close sister HMS Guardian.

The distinguishing feature is that from completion Guardian had a focsle deck that terminated just abaft the mainmast and then had a raised platform deck further aft which carried initially a single 4" gun. That raised deck was plated flush with the ships side and those plates initially had 5 openings each side.

Protector on the other hand seems to have her focsle deck carried further aft from completion and the initial after armament of a single 4" gun was situated right at the foot of the mainmast.

The difference can clearly be seen in the photos of the two ships at the following link from vary similar angles. All are pre war.
https://www.battleships-cruisers.co....ying_ships.htm

All the other published photos of Protector post war show a similar arrangement to the focsle deck / main deck joint.

I have one other photo of Guardian which is clearly taken postwar while she was in reserve as the remaining armament etc has been cocooned. This shows a similar layout to Batstiger's photo. The number of openings in the sides of the platform has been reduced to 4, the after one apparently being plated over sometime during the war. I don't know where I found this on the net so apologies in advance for any copyright infringements.

I look forward to hearing anyone else's comments about this. For me the photo is a great find as it is from a period in which I have a huge interest.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HMS GUARDIAN-3-NETLAYER-1932-1962.jpg (88.9 KB, 38 views)
Old 04-10-2017, 15:15
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by EwenS View Post
I have one other photo of Guardian which is clearly taken postwar while she was in reserve as the remaining armament etc has been cocooned.
See the same photo in centre photo of post #19

Jim
Old 05-10-2017, 06:18
Petty Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbryce1437 View Post
See the same photo in centre photo of post #19

Jim
Thanks. Completely missed that. Old age must be setting in.
Old 13-02-2018, 12:04
Sub-Lieutenant

Here is one of the current HMS Protector, at the time the photo was taken in 2007 arriving on the River Tay she was still in her civi days as the Polarbjorn
Attached Images
File Type: jpg polarbjorn_22.jpg (185.9 KB, 13 views)

Ship Search by Name : Advanced Search
Random Timeline Entry : 4th January 1933 : HMS Douglas : Arrived Salonika