World Naval Ships Forums  

Go Back   World Naval Ships Forums > Naval History > Polish Navy Ships and Crews
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Polish Navy Ships and Crews Topics relating to a specific Polish ship or ships.

Old 13-03-2018, 06:34
Default "Outstanding Batory"

Hello to everyone.
Having found a server which is not on the Page owner black list I put my nose into the forum again.
Though m/s Batory the Polish liner converted to the troop-carrier during the war was not exactly a navy ship but for practical reasons it is good to keep knowledge of relatively small Polish navy and merchant ships in one place.

I have found in an excellent book (PaS 2015) compiled by J. Greham and M. Mace: Operations in North Africa and the Middle East 1942-1944... a very nice opinion about m/s Batory.
In the dispatch of Admiral Sir Andrew Cunningham on operation Torch to the CinC, Allied Forces he writes the following:
"...During the passage the convoy (K.M.F.1)was frequently exercised in emergency turns and in changing from one cruising disposition to another. Outstanding in these exercises was the Polish BATORY leading the fifth column, who was consistently handled with the precission and skill of a well trained naval unit......" (page 106).
The Master of the ship was Zygmunt Deyczakowski (DOB 1905, British awards:OBE, DSC, MinD). Before Captain Deyczakowski was commanding m/s Chrobry which was bombed and sunk during the Norway evacuation).

Certainly many commanding officers would be happy to receive such an evaluation from the so much respected seamen and naval commander as ADM A. Cunningham was !!!

Old 13-03-2018, 22:11
Default Re: "Outstanding Batory"

Originally Posted by greendragon View Post

Hello to everyone.
Having found a server which is not on the Page owner black list I put my nose into the forum again.

Welcome back Green Dragon - I have missed your contributions to the forums.

Ship Search by Name : Advanced Search
Random Timeline Entry : 12th January 1933 : HMS Bryony : Arrived Cannes