World Naval Ships Forums  
VIEW ALL OF OUR CURRENT SPECIAL OFFERS HERE!

Go Back   World Naval Ships Forums > Naval Books > Naval Book Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Naval Book Forum Discuss naval books here.

Old Yesterday, 12:27
Sub-Lieutenant

Default Re: What Are You Reading At The Moment?

"Fighters over the Fleet: Naval Air Defence from Biplanes to the Cold War" by Norman Friedman.

A densely-packed 460 pages. Currently about halfway through and finding it most illuminating.

Bigger Guns, MORE POWER!

Old Yesterday, 16:48
Vice Commodore

Just got hold of a copy of the 2000 FAA book, "Fly Navy". A remarkable compendium of "from the cockpit" stories from the 1945/2000 period, many by people I knew well. Nostalgic, impressive and re-conjours the pride all of us with anything to do with the FAA should feel.
Old Today, 01:42
Ordinary Seaman

Currently reading Andrew Gordon's "The Rules of the Game"; been meaning to for some time but have only just got around to it. Not sure I completely buy his central "Authoritarian vs Autocrat" thesis; while it might have some truth I doubt that it is as critical as he implies and in any case it doesn't take account of the effect of small ship and independent command on the mindset of at least some of the commanders of the day. Nor do I necessarily believe that the 5th BS turning to the north after the BCF a bit late was the reason for the lack of a decisive British victory - although to be fairl I'm only half way through so that may not be where he ends up. Old news to many I suppose but of interest to me.

Just got the latest volume from the NRS as well, a new "Naval Miscellany". Looking forward to that.

Ship Search by Name : Advanced Search
Random Timeline Entry : 13th January 1929 : HMS Dartmouth : Refitting at Plymouth