World Naval Ships Forums  
VIEW ALL OF OUR CURRENT SPECIAL OFFERS HERE!

Go Back   World Naval Ships Forums > Naval History > Other Naval Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Other Naval Topics Other general naval or navy-related topics.

Old 07-03-2017, 21:10
Sub-Lieutenant

Question Left handed salute

I was intrigued to notice a photograph on World Naval Ships .com( of which I have included a link)where a rating is piping Admiral Jellicoe. He is piping right handed and saluting left handed. I have never seen this before during my service years and I must honestly say I cannot remember Naval Regs covering this awkward looking procedure if one were to be unable to pipe left handed. What do other members think? http://www.worldnavalships.com/comus_class.htm#HMS Champion"
Old 07-03-2017, 21:55
Forum Moderator

Default Re: Left handed salute

I don't think it was usual for a rating who was piping the side to salute with the arm at the same time. He may have done it on his own initiative, or was prompted to salute for the photo.

Jim
Old 08-03-2017, 01:02
Lieutenant

Left-handed salutes were part of Royal Navy drill at least until the early 1900s and various internet sources suggest that this was the regulation for both army and navy up to 1918. The only authoritative source I have to hand is the 1908 edition of the Admiralty Manual of Seamanship which states that "..when passing an officer, the salute is to be made with the hand furthest from him..".

I can't comment on the saluting-while-piping business, but the attached picture suggests that it's at least recent custom in the US Navy. I don't know the date of the picture - perhaps one of our US members could provide some details?

Ted
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Left-Salute.jpg (16.0 KB, 25 views)
Old 08-03-2017, 11:23
Lieutenant-Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsam View Post
I was intrigued to notice a photograph on World Naval Ships .com( of which I have included a link)where a rating is piping Admiral Jellicoe. He is piping right handed and saluting left handed. I have never seen this before during my service years and I must honestly say I cannot remember Naval Regs covering this awkward looking procedure if one were to be unable to pipe left handed. What do other members think? http://www.worldnavalships.com/comus_class.htm#HMS Champion"
I have a note in my RN uniform records that says in 1923 'Hand salute limited to right hand only' which implies that previously saluting with the left hand was permitted. Unfortunately I don't have any further information on the subject.
Mike B
Old 08-03-2017, 11:34
Commander

Tomsam,

It is probable that you will only get a definitive answer to this one by consulting the various editions of KR and AI/QRRN and the Handbook of Ceremonial and Drill, however, for what this is worth.

One can frequently see photographs of side piping parties fairly late on with the Warrant Bosun piping with the right hand and saluting with the left: the rest of the party were not saluting.

That said, I have the impression that while the practice is no longer usual it is still correct, if there is no other "approved" way of rendering the necessary courtesies.

I recall being at the side of a conversation in the early 1980's which came about on the matter after an incident which caught a lad unable to salute in the manner appropriate to the circumstances as he lacked the knowledge. One of those in the discussion, a very senior gunnery officer, then commented, though I can't now remember the all of the necessary facts.
I believe that he said that saluting with the left hand was still correct though archaic. Someone also mentioned that it was still the procedure in the Royal Marines and furthermore I can recall seeing it done: the Royal Marine had his right arm in a sling.

A final anecdote: in the late 1980's I rendered honours to the Sovereign as she passed in her car. My salute was returned by a very senior member of the Royal Family in uniform with the left hand. I was quite struck by this and have never forgotten it. The gentleman was on the near side of the vehicle so I presume that he decided that as his right arm was furthest from me (and in the dark) that he would return my salute with his left.

So....... although archaic in the RN, I do believe that saluting with the left hand is still correct, it's just that the nearly every one has forgotten it, with the exception of one Royal gentleman!

Thanks for the opportunity to recall all this.

Best Wishes,

GK
Old 13-03-2017, 02:16
Able Seaman

In the 1913 booklet from the War Office titled "The Pattern 1908 Web Infantry Equipment" it shows the soldier modeling the P 08 webbing saluting both left and right handed. This was done to show the webbing better from left and right profile, but I assumed that it was an allowed practice at the time and this thread seems to confirm that assumption.
Best
Gus
Old 13-03-2017, 09:15
Sub-Lieutenant

Hope this may shed some light on the matter
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SALUTE.jpg (743.7 KB, 30 views)
Old 13-03-2017, 10:55
Commander

Thanks Dave, the habit seems to have died hard though.

GK
Old 20-03-2017, 15:04
Lieutenant

While I was at RAF Halton learning my trade in the late sixties, Wing Commander Brown saluted with his left hand. He was badly injured in a Canberra crash and could not raise his right arm to shoulder height, so he had formal permission to salute with his left.

HMS Forester (1942 Refit)
Old 20-03-2017, 18:26
Admiral

During training no mention was made of left hand salutes. we were told that if for some reason you were unable to salute with the right hand, injury or carrying heavy weight etc a smart eyes right or left would suffice.
Regarding the senior royal who saluted with his left hand he probably didn't know what hand you are supposed to use.

Ship Search by Name : Advanced Search
Random Timeline Entry : 12th January 1938 : HMS Exeter : Sailed Magallanes