World Naval Ships Forums  
VIEW ALL OF OUR CURRENT SPECIAL OFFERS HERE!

Go Back   World Naval Ships Forums > Naval History > Royal Navy Ships and Crews
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Royal Navy Ships and Crews Topics relating to a specific Royal Navy ship or ships

Old 11-08-2017, 18:31
Admiral

Default Re: RN Frigates: Type 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Hoole View Post
Even as a retired mariner, I still can't understand why there is such a contrast between these two 'platforms' in the size of the 'control room' and number of personnel required in this technological age.
T26 frigate: Max speed circa 30 kts. Manoeuvres in two dimensions. Operates in three dimensions. Multiple sensors and weapons. Operates alone or in concert with other ground, air and seaborne units. Lots of built-in fault-finding and redundancy.

Number of personnel required to move, let alone operate and fight: Up to a dozen. Over a hundred to operate and fight as well.

F-35 fighter bomber: Max speed circa 1,100 kts. Manoeuvres in three dimensions. Operates in three dimensions. Multiple sensors and weapons. Operates alone or in concert with other ground, air and seaborne units. Lots of built-in fault-finding and redundancy.

Number of personnel required to move, operate and fight: One.

Rob, are you suggesting a scenario where:-

A skipper be appointed to a T26; he/she can then take it to sea and operate it at up to a Max speed circa 30 kts. Manoeuvre it in two dimensions. Operate it in three dimensions ..... all from the bridge ....... he/she having the the use of multiple sensors and weapons and can operate it alone (from the bridge) or in concert with other ground(?), air and seaborne units. This to be achieved by taking advantage of lots of built-in fault-finding and redundancy provided.

All of the aforementioned to be conducted whilst in a sitting position, wearing a hi-tech helmet, 'wrap-a-round' instrumentation and all within the confines of a cockpit like capsule, much like an F35 aircraft pilot ..... the compartment/capsule to be called the ship's bridge.

Hmmm; one step away from the drone warship!!

Little h

GFXU - HMS Falmouth in Falmouth Bay

Last edited by harry.gibbon : 11-08-2017 at 19:16.
Old 12-08-2017, 16:22
Rear-Admiral

Interesting question Rob

Partly I'd say because they can. Would an F-35 be more effective if it had 20 people to monitor, assess and decide? Almost certainly yes. But it can't. So it doesn't

Secondly because a warship has to conduct a wider set of tasks concurrently (potentially anti-submarine, surface and air) and maintain situational awareness and conduct warfare over a larger area
Old 13-08-2017, 08:06
Commodore

Visual landing aid contract signed for the first three T26 :-

http://www.agiltd.co.uk/Company-Info...articleid=3807
Old 13-08-2017, 20:24
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by gruntfuttock View Post
Visual landing aid contract signed for the first three T26 :-

http://www.agiltd.co.uk/Company-Info...articleid=3807
Continuation of the theme set above; below a screen capture of listing included in an article titled:-

550 UK jobs sustained by Type 26 Global Combat Ship contract awards
12 Jul 2017

The largest of the new contracts are for the procurement of structural steel for the first three ships from UK and European steel mills by Dent Steel Services Ltd from its Bradford, UK facility, and sonar components critical to the ship’s anti-submarine warfare role, which are to be manufactured by Thales in Cheadle and Tods Defence from their Portland, UK facility.

Source; baesystems.com Newsroom - where the full article can be read.

Little h
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Type 26 Screenshot (3048) BAE Systems.jpg (273.8 KB, 23 views)

GFXU - HMS Falmouth in Falmouth Bay
Old 15-09-2017, 10:50
Leading Seaman

Reports that BAE are putting the 26 forward for the FFG(X):
http://www.defensenews.com/digital-s...pe-26-frigate/
Old 15-09-2017, 13:34
Commodore

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky42 View Post
Reports that BAE are putting the 26 forward for the FFG(X):
http://www.defensenews.com/digital-s...pe-26-frigate/
It's playing catch up with other offerings that are already in service with other Navy's, it's too big and it's too expensive.

Reading the article it would appear to me that one of the two main T31 designs might fit the bill, both on cost, capability and size.
Old 15-09-2017, 13:53
Leading Seaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by gruntfuttock View Post
It's playing catch up with other offerings that are already in service with other Navy's, it's too big and it's too expensive.

Reading the article it would appear to me that one of the two main T31 designs might fit the bill, both on cost, capability and size.
I'd agree with all that you've raised to be honest, I wonder is it just BAE trying their luck.
Old 15-09-2017, 14:36
Commodore

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky42 View Post
I'd agree with all that you've raised to be honest, I wonder is it just BAE trying their luck.
I would rather think of it as BAE at last seeing the light, and realising they have to export to be a serious contender. They obviously can't rely on volume in the UK market so have to venture abroad.

They have a lot to catch up on, just in Europe we have France,Italy,Spain and Holland well entrenched in the foreign market. Building modern cutting edge ships at a reasonable price.

As much as I wish them well, they already seem to have thrown in the towel in regards to the future T31 project, because they cannot meet the MOD baseline price. Even then the designs they offered were at the best mediocre, so I really don't see much hope for them.

They can build excellent ships (with some exceptions) in fact world leaders, but most of the target country's can't afford them, and in fact neither can we.

They now seem to have someone like Babcock, who if we can believe all the PR releases, seem to have come up with a decent design and a reasonable price. Also have the facilities to build it.

BMT design also seems promising, but for some reason especially during DSEI ,seems to be failing in the publicity stakes.

Question is, why can't a giant like BAE compete with firms like the above. Seems to me they have grown so complacent in that they will automatically get the MOD orders, they are not used to a competitor that is hungry for orders.

Good luck to the minnows I say
Old 16-09-2017, 08:27
Commodore

Geoff Searle programme director for the UK T26 project is leaving, takes over as T26 project director for the Australian SEA5000 bid.

From his twitter account:-

" Geoff Searle‏ @Type26ProgDir 18h hours ago

" After >5 yrs leading a fantastic team on the #Type26 programme I am now moving on to lead the GCS-Australia team
bidding #SEA5000"

Ship Search by Name : Advanced Search
Random Timeline Entry : 2nd January 2004 : HMS Invincible : Devonport