World Naval Ships Forums  
VIEW ALL OF OUR CURRENT SPECIAL OFFERS HERE!

Go Back   World Naval Ships Forums > Everything Else > Everything Else
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Everything Else Serious non naval and non maritime subjects - 'Shore Leave' is for chat.

Old 23-05-2017, 01:44
Admiral

Default Re: Strange Times

All I have to say is...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Kubrick.jpg (116.2 KB, 39 views)
Old 23-05-2017, 01:59
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBat242 View Post
All I have to say is...
Nice one Jon!

Nothing better than a good conspiracy theory!
Old 23-05-2017, 11:52
Admiral

Going by the reaction of the people and particularly the media to the situation in Manchester it's a good job that they didn't have to cope with life in London, Plymouth and Coventry a few years ago.
Old 23-05-2017, 12:43
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny07 View Post
Going by the reaction of the people ....................... to the situation in Manchester it's a good job that they didn't have to cope with life in London, Plymouth and Coventry a few years ago.
Unlike the situation during 1939-1945 when Britain was at war and many children from those cities may have been evacuated - last evening many children from all over Britain were congregated at an event that they like to be involved in.

Pick on the press if you wish Johnny, but IMO your post is in poor taste, especially since several youngsters are as yet unaccounted for.

Little h

GFXU - HMS Falmouth in Falmouth Bay
Old 23-05-2017, 12:56
Commodore

Quote:
Going by the reaction of the people and particularly the media to the situation in Manchester it's a good job that they didn't have to cope with life in London, Plymouth and Coventry a few years ago.
A remark in extremely bad taste. I wonder if you would have such a cavalier attitude, if it had been your children or grandchildren involved.
Old 23-05-2017, 13:14
Rear-Admiral

I am appalled! This is one of those times when it would be wise to engage one's brain before opening one's mouth and not the other way around.
What were you thinking Johnny07?
Old 23-05-2017, 16:26
Admiral

Thinking about it Jan I don't know what I was thinking about.

What else can I say?
Old 23-05-2017, 20:00
Admiral

You can tell when your on a grown up forum when two or three people say what many people are thinking and those many people leave it at that.

Providing contrition has been shown.

And it has.
Old 24-05-2017, 16:20
Admiral

Quote:
Hi All

I know what my reaction was when my eldest son went missing when he was 4 years old. Blind panic and a feeling of sheer helplessness, and I was one of those huddled in an Anderson shelter in Portsmouth "a few years ago", granted I was only a child. I can't imagine what the parents and grandparents of those missing children were feeling as they knew that something awful and beyond imagination had happened.

Mitch Hinde
Old 24-05-2017, 19:42
Lieutenant-Commander

Johnny's comments may have appeared insensitive but I'm sure he's as sorrowful as anyone regarding the tragic and dreadful murders of young people in Manchester. My feelings of great sadness and compassion for the poor victims, the dead and injured, and their loved ones are now being replaced by feelings of great anger with the perpetrators and their apologists and the way the media are dealing with this awful happening. Perhaps best not to elaborate further.

Our village is holding a gathering on Friday to lay flowers in memory of those who have died. I suppose it may seem pointless to some but perhaps it will help us to share our shock and sadness with others. The victims and their loved ones will be in our thoughts and prayers.

Peter
Old 24-05-2017, 21:47
Commodore

Here's someting I've never understood and no-one has ever been able to explain it to me. All through the 80s and 90s Gadaffi was a pyriah to the West and it wasn't until 2004 that the relationship warmed, he paid reparations for Lockerbie, and oil deals where signed and our inteligence agencies shared data with his. Blair even visited him in a Lybian tent.

He was made anew and was, if not one of us, he was again a friend of the West .

Blow me but come the 'Arab Spring' in 2011, he is once again portrayed as a pyriah as he was "bombing his own people" and so the West created no-fly zones and acted as an un-paid air force for militant or hardline muslim extremist militias under-taking the over-throw of the guy who had finally came in from the cold.

So just as 'we' start to work with the guy, they kill him off and have anti-western forces in charge of bits of Lybia with other bits are controlled by other groups.

Why? What did HM Govt. benefit from providing the air-force for people who are against us?

This suicide bomber was Lybian and he brought his unhappiness to the vulnerable on the streets of Britain.

It's the same story with Iraq and Syria, two countries the UK has used our armed forces to interfere in and who were absolutely no threat to us.

If anyone has an reason for why we helped topple Gadaffi? or indeed Saddam or Assad?
Old 25-05-2017, 09:47
Vice Commodore

Stolen from the Torygraph, food for thought?

"SIR – In a Facebook posting on the Manchester bombings, Morrissey says that everyone in Britain seems petrified to say what we all say in private – but still he doesn’t say it."

All I can say is that I am glad that I don't have one of those smart TV'S that can allegedly listen to what you say in the privacy of your own home.

I do hope that now we have armed troops on the streets they will be protected by the law, and they don't end up in a position where 30 years down the line, some smart *rsed lawyer gets up in court to tell them they are criminals.

Last edited by phill rose : 25-05-2017 at 10:22.
Old 03-06-2017, 09:23
Admiral

For obvious reasons I have never liked Tiger Woods but given that he has given pleasure to millions of people over the years I think it's disgraceful the way the media and some people have turned on him. It seems that the world has a propensity for turning on famous and successful people when they transgress usually through jealousy.
Old 03-06-2017, 12:35
Vice-Admiral

Quote:
For obvious reasons I have never liked Tiger Woods but given that he has given pleasure to millions of people over the years I think it's disgraceful the way the media and some people have turned on him. It seems that the world has a propensity for turning on famous and successful people when they transgress usually through jealousy.
Sad I agree. But a 'tall poppy' who rises above the crowd has always been a good target for those who never rose above the mediocre. The gutter press and politicians are perhaps the worst offenders.
Brian
Old 07-08-2017, 08:20
Admiral

Staying on sport I think it's disgraceful the way the media and others are treating the athlete Gatlin who outrun Usain Bolt. I think that having been caught cheating he should never grace a stadium for the rest of his life but that didn't happen. He was allowed to run again and therefore should be treated exactly the same as every one else. It's not fair to allow him to run and then complain when he wins. We all know what he did so it's un necessary to call him a drug cheat every time they mention his name.
I also didn't think it was very nice to hold up Jessica Ennis as a saint in contrast to him as a villain. It all reminded me of recent elections and referendums when people didn't get the result they wanted and forever moaned about it.
Old 07-08-2017, 15:07
Rear-Admiral

Location: Cumbria. (The place where they deposit their nuclear waste)

Watched the Diana story last night and that lass was badly done to by the establishment, they invited Camilla to every thing knowing what it was doing to Diana, and as for her then husband he took the pet because she was getting more attention ----I am not a flag waving Royalist but they should be ashamed as the way that lass was treated and as for William and Harry I cannot understand why they haven't ignore the breaker up of marriages and how it effected their mother or why the British public have bowed and scraped to her.

As for Johnny `s post #103 I`m sure that he didn't mean it the way it sounded, times I`ve said things that didn't come out right, I'm blaming old age, the old brain box doesn't work the same as you get older (that`s my excuse anyway)!!!!!

Ship Search by Name : Advanced Search
Random Timeline Entry : 13th January 1905 : HMS C1 : Laid down