World Naval Ships Forums  
VIEW ALL OF OUR CURRENT SPECIAL OFFERS HERE!

Go Back   World Naval Ships Forums > Models and Modelling > Modelling Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 31-01-2017, 02:57
Forum Moderator.

Default AMF Shipyard Gets Contract for USS Tang

In the words of the legendary Kosh, Ambassador of the Vorlon Empire, "And now...it begins..."

The Tang kit and custom bridge arrived today. Looks like the Aloha, My Friend Shipyard will be busy for quite awhile! Haven't even really taken a close look at it yet, but the kit seems well made and designed to be sturdy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg T1.jpg (915.4 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg T2.jpg (1.20 MB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg T3.jpg (1.02 MB, 19 views)

"For a successful technology, reality has to take precedence over public relations, because nature cannot be fooled." (Richard Feynman)
Old 01-02-2017, 11:13
Admiral

Default Re: AMF Shipyard Gets Contract for USS Tang

Well that will keep you out of mischief for a while Don ......

The one I built was great fun and converted to RC , long ago when I could hold small bits in my hands" like plates of meat " ....

You'll enjoy that Don , and if you need any detail for the Finnish ask Charles [Cgret] who helped me a lot with lighting details and other info ....Good Luck and keep us up to date please ..
Old 02-02-2017, 05:28
Forum Moderator.

Thanks for the good words and encouragement, Ivor. This one will be sitting gently upon a stand -- RC and bits and bobs that involve wire and electricity are beyond the ken of this mere mortal. Beyond the wallet too!

Scott and I are venturing to the hobby shop this weekend for needed shipbuilding supplies such as new Exacto blades, possibly paint, and then we'll set what else we "just have to have" in order to do this up right.

"For a successful technology, reality has to take precedence over public relations, because nature cannot be fooled." (Richard Feynman)
Old 02-02-2017, 16:07
Admiral

Can't remember what crew came as part of the bridge set up but mine are safely set aside somewhere .

Shopping List :- Filler
Garnet paper
Glue
Masking tape
Rattle Cans

That should help you start .

I'd ask" Jim the Brush" to knock up that sign he suggested for his cheek
Old 04-02-2017, 05:13
Forum Moderator.

With a nice weekend coming up, we got a start on Tang. Found the exact colors for the hull, gave the girl a pre-work bath and even did a touch of painting just to say we got something actually done. Tomorrow the major pieces will get their coats of dull satin black or deep charcoal and then into the box to dry for a few days. The stand will be painted red since it seemed to work so well with the Fletcher build.

My display case won't hold a ship this size, so have already lined out what I want in the way of a display case, but that's waaaay down the road.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TANG1.jpg (1.08 MB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg TANG2.jpg (984.7 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg TANG3.jpg (1.23 MB, 7 views)

Old 04-02-2017, 13:00
Admiral

Oh my, looks like our swabbee is up to his yard's size limits! Punch out a wall and extend those building ways!

Good luck with your BIG build, tack rag ready??? Can't have non scale dust buried in the paint! DFO
Old 04-02-2017, 19:47
Forum Moderator.

Today we got the basic painting of major parts done. Everything is now boxed and covered to dry for a day or so before any touch-up. The sun was, as usual when I have photography to deal with, uncooperative, so the paint isn't exactly "true" -- the gray is much darker than the photo indicates. The black came out exactly the way it should though -- not flat, not glossy but with a tad of "sheen" like it's supposed to be. (Added a photo showing a better comparison of the gray and dull black.)

The rest of the day will be devoted to cleaning the "yard" -- this wretched hovel is a mess and I need to grab the vacuum, mop, bucket o' suds and get busy here!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TANG5.jpg (891.9 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg TANG7.jpg (1.34 MB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg TANG9.jpg (1.09 MB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg TANG10.jpg (1.14 MB, 7 views)

Old 06-02-2017, 07:00
Forum Moderator.

Final painting of all the major hull pieces is done. There will, unfortunately, be a delay in further production from the yard due to the first lost-time accident we've experienced in years -- I broke a toe. Thank you left over drugs from the dental surgery, but I will be down for a bit.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170205_184922_resized.jpg (1.60 MB, 10 views)

Old 06-02-2017, 17:27
Admiral

What's the phone # of law offices of DEWEY, CHEATEM n HOWE?? They can get u properly paid for the liability!!! Oh wait...umm....??

Despite that, looking good; far better than runny paint on my lil G. GARABALDI... DFO
Old 09-02-2017, 05:17
Forum Moderator.

Couldn't stand just laying about with my foot on a cushion, so shifted my rear into the "modelling shop" with a footstool and pillow, and did some basic paintwork on small parts in preparation for the major assembly work to come. The guns are done, except for a recalcitrant 40 mm mount whose pin holes don't match the gun mount by about a blond one -- of course, has to be something like that to make you utilize the gears and figure a way out.

Next will be the major assembly -- the conning tower, the bow section with bow planes, the stern section with shaft and rudders, and the mid-section with it's three deckhouses and side plates. Will flip a coin to see if I do that conning tower first or last!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170208_182212_resized.jpg (1.41 MB, 8 views)

Old 11-02-2017, 04:23
Forum Moderator.

Bow and stern sections are complete and are in the building shed for final trim, fill, sand and buff before the last coat of paint is applied. And I only got one drop of glue where it doesn't belong, of course not noticing until too late to do anything but chip and sand...I would feel lost if I hadn't done that.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TANG18.jpg (985.9 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg TANG19.jpg (658.7 KB, 14 views)

Old 11-02-2017, 16:53
Admiral

Such wonderful finesse, and from a "disabled" swabbee, too! Truly amazing..

The crew of the TANG would be proud! Now as long as our master plastic modeler does not do her in; as TANG did to herself (), the model will be Museum worthy...DFO
Old 11-02-2017, 16:59
Admiral

All looks good to me Don , and a great distraction from the Sick Berth eh
Old 13-02-2017, 04:26
Forum Moderator.

Foot propped on a pillow, I was able to get a bit done today. Fewer parts on the sprues! Finished the aft hull section painting and added the zincs to the prop shafts, etc., then moved on to starting work on the superstructure. The main center piece of the hull is together, but needs sanding and fiddling before it can get a final paint coat and sit for a couple of days. Once that's done, I can put the three hull pieces together and set it on the stand. Got all the guns completed, including a very recalcitrant mount for the 40 mm which was 1/10,000 of an inch off, of course, making it not fit the gun evenly.

The superstructure basics are in place and I can't go any further until my mini-drill and new bits arrive, as there are pieces to be mounted that have to glue from the inside. Did a test fit of the 20 and 40 mm mounts and decided the 20 mm was way out of scale for the height, so sent the stand to the welder's barn for some adjustments.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TANG30.jpg (794.5 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg TANG26.jpg (513.7 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg TANG27.jpg (715.7 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg TANG32.jpg (628.6 KB, 8 views)

Old 17-02-2017, 02:07
Forum Moderator.

Despite a continuing work slowdown due to a non-job related injury, progress continues with the almost complete conning tower structure, part four of the five major sub-assemblies. Have to get some plastic filler and do a bit of filling and sanding and call the lads out from the paint shop before it's all done, then on to the shears and masts section.

The large hull midsection is back in the shed for the final clean-up of steel and final coat of paint.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TANG35.jpg (898.1 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg TANG36.jpg (528.8 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg TANG37.jpg (687.0 KB, 10 views)

Old 17-02-2017, 15:22
Admiral

Great progress Don and superb paint job.

Sandy.
Old 18-02-2017, 07:38
Forum Moderator.

With plastic kits, there is always something you run into during assembly that totally irritates you because the company could have done so much better. Aside from the fact that the 20 mm mount is out of scale (but faked in anyway by mounting it slightly farther forward on the gun deck) tonight's joy was the ladder from the lookout station to the aft bridge deck. According to the instructions, it's supposed to mount on the starboard side, which is dumb because the ammo locker sits there and it's too short to mount on the other side. Fortunately, my PE kit had two ladders, which I spliced together and put on the port side. This of course necessitated cutting the lookout deck stanchions differently to accommodate the different opening and that entailed making some new bits for it as well. the old ladder, cut in half made ideal hand railings for the new ladder, so at least that worked out. I am happy that I've saved tons of plastic and PE "remnants" from many models in my kit -- there were pieces that, when cut, fit perfectly. the Gods of Polystyrene have once again smiled upon me.

The scopes and masts are still not permanently mounted -- still some sanding of the deck to do to level it out around the joint. That and some filling and sanding will finish off this piece and it will be on to the mid-hull section finishing details and the "big assembly" of the five main sections into the final kit.

Oh, and just to make my day -- I ordered plastic fill from the legendary MicroMark Tools, and they won't send the "deadly chemicals" to Hawaii for whatever stupid reason. So a trip to Hobby Lobby in Pearl City is called for, which I didn't really want to do -- sigh --
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170217_070418_resized_1.jpg (440.0 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 20170217_070555_resized_1.jpg (564.4 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg 20170217_212002_resized.jpg (753.0 KB, 9 views)

Old 18-02-2017, 13:36
Admiral

" Fortunately, my PE kit had two ladders, which I spliced together and put on the port side." A resourceful swabbee, amazing!!! Looking good, must be the neat yard!

Of course, if one scratch builds no need for PE parts!! DFO
Old 20-02-2017, 00:10
Forum Moderator.

Today's small amount of work introduced the superstructure to the main deck. Due to letters of complaint from the corner spiders, the rest of the day is devoted to cleaning up the wretched hovel. The mid-section of the hull is hiding in the paint shed after a finish coat of paint. That'll dry for a day or two before I get moving on putting the three hull pieces together. I can't wait to see how bad the joints fit -- they couldn't possibly fit smoothly, that wouldn't be Revell.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170219_135138_resized.jpg (1.10 MB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 20170219_135359_resized.jpg (566.2 KB, 9 views)

Old 20-02-2017, 08:46
Forum Moderator.

Sans painting the same basic very dark gray, the stanchions and lines are in. Enough for one day!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TANG50.jpg (1.02 MB, 14 views)

Old 21-02-2017, 20:37
Forum Moderator.

Progress continues at the yard. The three main hull sections -- bow, mid-section and stern are glued together. The main deck pieces are at the moment just set in place to get an idea how this will look. Lots of pieces to add to the deck, but first I have to do the plastic putty, sand and repaint bit on the hull joints and bilge keels. Looks like another week or two and we'll be ready for the commissioning ceremony and lots of pictures. This thing is really impressive, as it's almost five feet long. And my camera just refuses to recognize that the gray color is just so much darker than shows here.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170220_190852_resized (1).jpg (769.7 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg 20170220_190911_resized.jpg (1.02 MB, 15 views)

Old 21-02-2017, 21:53
Forum Moderator

She's looking good Don, nearly ready for builders trials.

Jim
Old 21-02-2017, 23:23
Admiral

Yup, looks good; just make sure she has a green board before "trials"!! DFO
Old 23-02-2017, 12:48
Admiral

Well done Don keep up the good work , shame you cant float it on the pond or better still fit it with a motor .....but will look great when finished
Old 24-02-2017, 02:44
Forum Moderator.

Thanks Ivor, but I don't think I could take the horror of RCing this thing only to have it dive to crush depth on the first go -- neatly cased on a shelf is the only way for me!

Was your train ferry in the Portsmouth model show? Somebody on Facebook posted a bunch of photos from there, and one of the ships sure seemed to be yours!

Regards!

Ship Search by Name : Advanced Search
Random Timeline Entry : 17th January 1939 : HMS Gleaner : Sailed Plymouth