World Naval Ships Forums  
VIEW ALL OF OUR CURRENT SPECIAL OFFERS HERE!

Go Back   World Naval Ships Forums > Naval Books > Naval Book Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Naval Book Forum Discuss naval books here.

Old 06-07-2016, 11:15
Rear-Admiral

Default Re: What Are You Reading At The Moment?

{ H.M.S Belfast Association }" Men of the sea"........
.Last night at our R.N.A meeting , Sam brought me his own copy for me to read ...being a ex president of the Belfast Association .
And he knew I had been on the Belfast ..just before she was de-commissioned ..

Jim
Old 07-07-2016, 20:43
Leading Seaman

I am currently reading 'Mediterranean Maelstrom' by G.G Connell, about HMS Jervis and the 14th Destroyer flotilla. Great read,especially as Jervis was my Dad's first ship. Quite an amazing story...Jervis won 10 major battle honours between 1939 and 1945, despite having the amazing record of not losing a single crew member to enemy action

Last edited by Popeye1975 : 07-07-2016 at 20:44. Reason: typo
Old 07-09-2016, 15:37
Lieutenant-Commander

Just finished reading “Nelson's Favourite: HMS "Agamemnon" at War, 1781-1809” by Anthony Deane. I thoroughly enjoyed this well researched book following the career, as it were, of the Agamemnon. As Nelson was once her captain his career naturally looms large and the Agamemnon was present at many of the major sea battles of the time. The book gave me some insight into life on board a ship of the line and the way the Royal Navy was organised (or not) during the latter part of the 18th Century and the beginning of the 19th Century. The sections on the 1797 mutinies at Spithead and the Nore I found interesting and also the Court Martial of Jonas Rose, her captain when she was wrecked after running aground in the River Plate in 1809.

Peter
Old 08-09-2016, 00:51
Admiral

I've been on a "War 2" kick lately.

Having read Nevil Shute's Pied Piper & Landfall, and Douglas Reeman's Dive in the Sun & Send a Gunboat (OK, just post-war), I have begun two more-factual works.

First, Air Vice Marshal James Edgar (Johnnie) Johnson's Full Circle (sub-titled "The thrill-packed story of air warfare 1914-1964").

Second, Vice Admiral Charles A. Lockwood's Sink 'Em All (the story of the USN's submarines in the Pacific war). Lockwood took the post of Commander, Submarines, Southwest Pacific in May 1942 (which came with a promotion to Rear Admiral). In February 1943 he took the post of Commander, Submarines, Pacific Fleet (which he held until 1946), and was promoted to Vice Admiral in October 1943.
Old 08-09-2016, 10:44
Rear-Admiral

I thoroughly enjoy Reeman books.

I came across this useful site last week needing a comprehensive author's list in chronological order.

Just search for your choice of author.

http://www.orderofbooks.com/authors/douglas-reeman/
Sunny Ocala FLA USA
http://www.barrylockyer.com/

Old 24-09-2016, 20:37
Lieutenant-Commander

I recently finished reading The Kamikaze Hunters by Will Iredale. It tells the story of the British Pacific Fleet in 1945 in the final months of the war against Japan. The story includes the politics behind the creation and deployment of the BPF under overall US command, but is told mainly from the recollections of aircrew who were there from their initial training in Britain, the USA and Canada to their first time in action against a ruthless and determined enemy. Much to my regret, before reading this readable and well researched book I knew very little about the BPF. I will now try to find out more about this period of the War and will especially be thinking about those who failed to return home on Remembrance Day. If anyone can recommend any further reading on the BPF I shall be most grateful.

Peter
Old 24-09-2016, 20:49
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by barracuda View Post
I recently finished reading The Kamikaze Hunters by Will Iredale. It tells the story of the British Pacific Fleet in 1945 in the final months of the war against Japan. The story includes the politics behind the creation and deployment of the BPF under overall US command, but is told mainly from the recollections of aircrew who were there from their initial training in Britain, the USA and Canada to their first time in action against a ruthless and determined enemy. Much to my regret, before reading this readable and well researched book I knew very little about the BPF. I will now try to find out more about this period of the War and will especially be thinking about those who failed to return home on Remembrance Day. If anyone can recommend any further reading on the BPF I shall be most grateful.

Peter
Peter:

HIGHLY recommend:

The British Pacific Fleet by David Hobbs
ISBN: 978- 1- 59114- 044- 3
Published in 2011 by Seaforth Publishing

A comprehensive account not only of the fleet itself, but also of the political and diplomatic machinations behind its formation.

It was a fleet which was fundamentally unsuited for the Pacific theatre, and one which many (most) in the USN hierarchy really didn't want there at all!
Old 25-09-2016, 17:32
Lieutenant-Commander

Thank you, Tim. I see there's a Kindle version available on Amazon. We moved to a smaller house some time ago and my 'proper' books take up an awful lot of room. Now and again I go through them and end up with a pile of those I think I can live without ready to take to the charity shop. Then I go through the pile again and put most of them back, much to the dismay of my Wife. Ha ha.

Thanks once again.

Peter
Old 25-09-2016, 19:22
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by barracuda View Post
Thank you, Tim. I see there's a Kindle version available on Amazon. We moved to a smaller house some time ago and my 'proper' books take up an awful lot of room. Now and again I go through them and end up with a pile of those I think I can live without ready to take to the charity shop. Then I go through the pile again and put most of them back, much to the dismay of my Wife. Ha ha.

Thanks once again.

Peter
Peter:

I have exactly the same problem - far too many books and far too little space! Have just received a reprieve though, as my youngest son has just moved out of the ancestral home and his bedroom has now been turned into a library. So ... more space available to enlarge my collection!
Old 26-09-2016, 00:54
Admiral

The vast majority of my library (>1,000 books) reside in the basement - in boxes. I regularly take down the pile I have finished, return them to their place, and select a new stack.
Old 09-11-2016, 10:47
Chief Petty Officer

HIGHLY recommend:

The British Pacific Fleet by David Hobbs
ISBN: 978- 1- 59114- 044- 3
Published in 2011 by Seaforth Publishing

A comprehensive account not only of the fleet itself, but also of the political and diplomatic machinations behind its formation.

It was a fleet which was fundamentally unsuited for the Pacific theatre, and one which many (most) in the USN hierarchy really didn't want there at all!

Tim-your description is most apt- particularly the political and diplomatic machinations behind the formation of the BPF.It was indeed unsuited and badly supplied in the Pacific- in a war rhe USN was winning-it was just not needed.

Sigurd83
Old 12-11-2016, 05:00
Sub-Lieutenant

I have to differ, here. Going from memory:

Admiral King certainly did not want the RN anywhere near the final battles against Japan but his frontline commanders, face to face with the losses inflicted by Kamikaze and other threats, Nimitz chief among them, did. Although they were roughly only 1/3 (my guestimate) the strength of the USN in carriers, they made up for losses suffered by the USN going into Okinawa and after.

On the "ground", Halsey hogged all of the big prizes but he did keep the BPF gainfully employed. These operations made materially important contributions to success at Okinawa and in the final operations off Japan. Had the invasion of the home islands gone ahead then every ship and every flight deck available would have been needed

All operations by the BPF were happening at the same time its logistical train was being built and deployed. Had the Bomb not been dropped, the BPF Fleet Train would have matured more fully as would the rest of the fleet combatants, becoming much less dependent on the USN for support.

I own Hobbs' BPF book. It is a good read. As to whether they had to be there is a good question. Certainly the British Government felt they had to be. Indeed, the ships were unsuited for the theatre in terms of their radius of action and habitability so adaptation and much "Grin and Bear it" were required.

Again, from memory but, I believe, correct. I will check and provide corroboration.

Bigger Guns, MORE POWER!

Old 12-11-2016, 15:26
Rear-Admiral

The treatment of captured American and other Christian Sailors by the Muslims is quite horrific, this book is based on factual writings from the time.

The Pirate Coast: Thomas Jefferson, the First Marines & the Secret Mission of 1805.

the true story of the unheralded American who brought the Barbary Pirates to their knees In an attempt to stop the legendary Barbary Pirates of North Africa from hijacking American ships, William Eaton set out on a secret mission to overthrow the government of Tripoli. The operation was sanctioned by President Thomas Jefferson, who at the last moment grew wary of "intermeddling" in a foreign government and sent Eaton off without proper national support. Short on supplies, given very little money and only a few men, Eaton and his mission seemed doomed from the start. He triumphed against all odds, recruited a band of European mercenaries in Alexandria, and led them on a march across the Libyan Desert. Once in Tripoli, the ragtag army defeated the local troops and successfully captured Derne, laying the groundwork for the demise of the Barbary Pirates.
Sunny Ocala FLA USA

Old 24-01-2017, 22:51
Admiral

Exclamation Re: What Are You Reading At The Moment?

SADLY FOR INFO:

"We understand that writer Douglas Reeman has died at this home in Cobham, Surrey, at the age of 92. Reeman, perhaps best know for the novels written under the pen-name Alexander Kent, wrote close to 60 books and has left an indelible mark on the literature of the sea. Douglas Edward Reeman was born at Thames Ditton, on October 15, 1924. He joined the Royal Navy in 1940, at the age of 16, and served during World War II and the Korean War, rising to the rank of lieutenant. In addition to being an author, Reeman has also taught the art of navigation for yachting and served as a technical advisor for films. Reeman is survived by his wife of thirty one years, Kimberley Jordan.
As Douglas Reeman, he wrote about naval action during the twentieth century, with a primary focus on Britain’s Royal Navy. Using the pen-name Alexander Kent, he chronicled the adventures of Richard and Adam Bolitho at sea during the Age of Fighting Sail in a series spanning thirty novels. More than than 30 million copies of his books are in print. He will be missed by all lovers of nautical fiction.
In an interview, Douglas Reeman commented, ‘I am always asked to account for the perennial appeal of the sea story, and its enduring interest for people of so many nationalities and cultures. It would seem that the eternal and sometimes elusive triangle of man, ship and ocean, particularly under the stress of war, produces the best qualities of courage and compassion, irrespective of the rights and wrongs of conflict . . . The sea has no understanding of righteous or unjust causes. It is the common enemy, respected by all who serve on it, ignored at their peril.’ "
Old 25-01-2017, 20:29
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelican View Post

SADLY FOR INFO:

"We understand that writer Douglas Reeman has died at this home in Cobham, Surrey, at the age of 92.
Very sad news indeed - thoroughly enjoyed his work under both names. I found his Reeman books somewhat formulaic, but nonetheless very entertaining reads, while his Bolitho series is a favorite which I re-read every three or four years.
Old 25-01-2017, 20:33
Admiral

He will be sorely missed, I used to love seeing a new Douglas Reaman in the book shops, and couldn't wait to get one. A lot of the book covers were done by Chris Mager, another 'hero' of mine.
Jim
Old 28-01-2017, 21:00
Admiral

Hi All

I have just finished "Very Ordinary Seaman" by JPW Mallalieu . A book I first read as a teenager in the mid fifties before I signed up for the Andrew. I knew a lot of the terminology used in the book from my uncle and a few years in the Sea Cadets. NOW I understand the underlying thread of the book. The coming together of many different people and the gradual emergence of a single entity, a ships company that will make a ship into a fighting unit.

Mitch Hinde
Old 03-02-2017, 16:44
Rear-Admiral

A Matter of Honor: Pearl Harbor: Betrayal, Blame, and a Family's Quest for Justice

by Anthony Summers, Robbyn Swan

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/a-ma...ers/1123517482

Certainly a book to create a controversial debate. However good reading.
Sunny Ocala FLA USA

Old 03-02-2017, 18:42
Vice Commodore

Re. "A Matter of Honour", I have always felt sympathy for Admiral Kimmel as scapegoat and I hope the whole thing gets fairly laid to rest.

By chance, had just finished re-reading "The Winds of War", the climax being Pearl Harbour and moved on to "War and Remembrance". Just got past the battle of Midway.

Also saddened by the departure of Douglas Reeman, wrote to him some years back about one of his books that involved a Tribal and got a charming reply.
Old 06-02-2017, 21:17
Lieutenant-Commander

Admiral Kimmel role in the Pearl Harbour case is controversial and for those who would rather lean to see him as a scapegoat RA Layton book And I Was There... is for sure a good material (he has been strongly defending him) for getting knowledge.
Good book but....RA E.T. Layton reveals many details about the US and USN Intelligence system and person who run it and there are not too many laurels.
Mr E. Carlson wrote a very well based - as seen from notes and bibliography - work called Joe Rocheford War (this one I haven't read).
At Dawn We Slept - other good book - have it on a shelf but not properly studied yet.

Anyway, it would be good hearing something from our American members what they think about ADM Kimmel.
The unusual openess of RA Layton and his harsh criticism (i.e. he reveals that one of the well known commanders in the Pacific was seriously addicted to alcohol) is also bit puzzling.

Regards,

GD
Old 23-02-2017, 18:45
Admiral

Exclamation Re: What Are You Reading At The Moment?

I HAVE NOT READ IT BUT THOUGHT IT MIGHT BE OF INTEREST

A Tale of Two Navies (Anthony R Wells)

A Tale of Two Navies is an analysis of the unique relationship between the United States Navy and the Royal Navy from 1960 to present. This loosely chronological study examines the histories, strategies, operations, technology, and intelligence activities of both navies. The special intelligence relationship is highlighted by unique knowledge and insights into the workings of U.S. and British intelligence.
Bringing his extensive experience in both navies to bear, Anthony Wells provides a revealing look at the importance of naval thinking — how it impacts not only every level of naval activity, but also national defence as a whole. A Tale of Two Navies probes selective key themes and offers a discourse between the author and readers. Throughout, Wells challenges his reader to consider how the U.S. and the U.K. can best collaborate to advance their common strategic interests. This insightful look at the “special relationship” is especially relevant given emerging and increasing threats from China, Russia, and radical Islamist terror organisations.

https://scontent.flhr3-1.fna.fbcdn.n...2d&oe=593DA922
Old 29-03-2017, 17:01
Admiral

Hi All

Just finished reading "All Hands" by Brian Lavery. Charts the changes to the lower deck since 1939. Totally ignores the demise of the comms branch, the closure of HMS Mercury and the demise of the world wide secure teleprinter network.
About to start "The Struggle For The Middle Sea" by Vincent O'Hara. The flyleaf blurb seems to say that Roskill got the war in the med wrong and he will tell us why. Remains to be seen.

Mitch Hinde
Old 03-05-2017, 04:28
Admiral

Just started Clear the Decks by R.Adm Daniel V. Gallery (USN Ret), about his experiences as CO of USS Guadalcanal CVE-60... including the capture of U-505 (the real event, not the Hollyweird version).
Old 11-07-2017, 11:28
Vice-Admiral

David Black - I have just discovered this writer's stories about Harris Gilmour, a young RNVR officer at the beginning of WW2. Apologies if someone has already noted this author and his books, but I am finding them a fascinating view both of the Andrew and the submarine service. I intend to find a few more.

Edna
Old 17-07-2017, 11:41
Vice-Admiral

Update: I have now read Gone to Sea in a Bucket, The Skipper's Dog's Called Stalin and Turn Left for Gibraltar by David Black. I found I could not put them down, both the characterisation and the story line were so captivating and gave a very striking picture of the early years of WW2 and life in submarines.

I found I was in good company; Lord Boyce, KG GCB OBE, former First Sea Lord (etc, etc) wrote ..... I do hope that anyone reading this book who is not a submariner will gain as much enjoyment as I have taken! ....... Gone to Sea in a Bucket reflects the submarine service in WW2, with the same attention to detail And that is why I believe that, in its hero Harry Gilmour, David Black has created a Jack Aubrey for the modern age.

Whew !

Edna

Ship Search by Name : Advanced Search
Random Timeline Entry : 28th January 1933 : HMS Durban : Sailed Antofagaste