World Naval Ships Forums  
VIEW ALL OF OUR CURRENT SPECIAL OFFERS HERE!

Go Back   World Naval Ships Forums > New Members > Service Records / Naval Relatives and Friends
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Service Records / Naval Relatives and Friends For service records, and information about your naval relatives, friends and colleagues

Old 07-03-2017, 20:37
Ordinary Seaman

Default Service Record: George Shelvey JX3824

Hi Guys and Gals! I'm a new boy here, recently my ninety year old mother died and when going over some of her paperwork, I came across a (poor) copy of my father's Royal Naval service record. I'm hoping someone might be able to help me out with an aspect or two with said record. I have read with great interest a fair amount of the sites forum posts and understand that when my dad George served 'onboard' Collingwood, Victory iv, and iii, Mercury and President ii, that he was actually at a shore based facility, training (or maybe just waiting to be re-assigned). The duration of the stay would confirm that, however the record shows he was on/at Lanka, 21st Feb.43 to 28th Aug.44. I will ask a question about those dates later, however the main question I have concerns his next posting, 29th Aug.44 to 10th. May 45. The writing of the ships name is heavy but poor and I don't think it would scan very well. The name could have as many as eight letters as the first three strokes of the pen could be 1,2, or 3 letters. What I am ninety nine percent sure of is that the LAST three letters are AGA The word appears to be IMARAGA, IRNARAGA, IMARAGA etc. Geoge's service number was JX382481.
Any assistance would be gratefully received.
Cheers, John.
Old 07-03-2017, 22:03
Forum Moderator

Default Re: George Shelvey JX3824 service record

Hello John and a warm welcome. Try taking a digital photo of the pages and post them.

Jim
Old 08-03-2017, 08:13
Ordinary Seaman

Default George Shelvey JjX 382481 service certificate

Hi Guys, hopefully there is a photo of the above, confirmation of yesterday's post. The burning question is what is the name of the ship in the sixth line just above Mercury.
Cheers, John.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg image.jpeg (238.6 KB, 37 views)
Old 08-03-2017, 10:04
Forum Moderator

Hello John and thanks for the image. It looks like Maraga to me (latterly known as Gan)

Jim
Old 08-03-2017, 21:12
Ordinary Seaman

Hi Jim. Thank you for the speedy reply, I'll investigate that. Do you know why the accounting names were given on the service records rather than just the ships names. It seems to be done for the benefit of the navy clerks, or was it for future employers to be able to deal direct with a particular land based facility?
Another question I have is, are the dates given on the service papers when the ship actually reached their destinations? I do have other queries, but I don't want to outstay my welcome or your patience!
Cheers, John.
Old 08-03-2017, 21:30
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Shelvey View Post
Hi Jim. Thank you for the speedy reply, I'll investigate that. Do you know why the accounting names were given on the service records rather than just the ships names. It seems to be done for the benefit of the navy clerks, or was it for future employers to be able to deal direct with a particular land based facility?
Another question I have is, are the dates given on the service papers when the ship actually reached their destinations? I do have other queries, but I don't want to outstay my welcome or your patience!
Cheers, John.
It was probably for clerical reasons, with any entries/errors on the record being traceable to the accounting base or ship that completed them.
I think records are from the date they left a ship and the date they joined their next ship. I don't think prospective employers would communicate with individual ships. The Service Record would probably be enough proof to show that they served. Each man got a copy of his record when discharged.
If you click on the word Magara in my post there is some information in that link.
Fire away with your other questions, someone here may have the answer.

Jim
Old 09-03-2017, 22:20
Ordinary Seaman

Many thanks once more. Looking at the dates George was on Lanka and Maraga, is it possible to name the ships that took him there and returned him home?
Cheers, John.
Old 10-03-2017, 07:53
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Many thanks once more. Looking at the dates George was on Lanka and Maraga, is it possible to name the ships that took him there and returned him home?
Cheers, John.
Unfortunately, not from that record. Possibly, a record derived from victualling records may show how he got there. It's possible, as it was an airfield, that he was flown there and did not take passage by sea.

Jim
Old 10-03-2017, 20:55
Ordinary Seaman

Hi Jim. I don't ever recall him speaking of travelling by aeroplane during the war. It's funny what you do remember, such as one story where he and two mates were going home to London, waiting for a train. He picks up a wallet that a guy drops as he gets on a train and talks the other two into boarding the train with him?, to return the wallet and who knows a good reward might be forthcoming. Eventually locating the guy, he does reward them, with two shillings and sixpence, to be shared between the three of them! To top it off the train is heading off somewhere in the direction of Wales and it's two or three hours later before they manage to return to their original railway station to catch a train to London! Watching movies outside on deck chairs in Darwin and catching fish on baitless hooks in Colombo are others I heard on more than a few occasions.
One story was not his usual jocular tale, pointing to a photo of a ships company, he indicated where he was in the picture and then said that soon after the picture was taken, he and one other chap had left that company, transferring to another and the rest of the guys in the photo were attacked at sea with all men lost. My dad was the sort of bloke who would embellish stories, loving to see people laugh, he would add bits and pieces until the jokes or stories got bigger and bigger, however I always believed that story, told with unusual for him gravity.
Cheers, John.
Old 29-03-2017, 18:43
Leading Seaman

Hi John

If you are on Facebook, and if you are interested, I runa group known as 'Forgotten Naval Signalmen of WW2'. It's for relatives and supporters of guys like George whose service records are , shall we say, less than forthcoming. I'd love you to join the gang if you're interested

thanks
Old 01-04-2017, 23:09
Ordinary Seaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popeye1975 View Post
Hi John

If you are on Facebook, and if you are interested, I runa group known as 'Forgotten Naval Signalmen of WW2'. It's for relatives and supporters of guys like George whose service records are , shall we say, less than forthcoming. I'd love you to join the gang if you're interested

thanks
Hi Popeye! Have sent request to your Facebook page. In the meantime, I was going to post the following questions here:
Once George ( my father) reached the shore base at Lanka would he have disembarked and then spent the next year billeted on land?
He was based there a year after the Japs had basically decided that Singapore was more strategically important so had left the area. How would a signalman spend his time and would they have used their skills to assist the airforce that I believe were also based at Lanca?
Cheers, John.
Old 21-04-2017, 06:52
Ordinary Seaman

Default Re: Service Record: George Shelvey JX3824

Hi guys! Trying to put a fix on how long my father would have spent at sea, can anyone guesstimate the trip in weeks, from England to Colombo and then Colombo to Mauritius and finally Mauritius back to Blighty. 1942 to 44. Obviously he spent a couple of years in the RN but most of that would have been shore based in the two locations mentioned.
Cheers, John.
Old 21-04-2017, 07:56
Admiral

Hello John, This is another how long is a bit of string question.

It would depend on what type of ship he went out there on and the circumstances of the trip. I once went from Southampton to Honk Kong on a troop ship and the leg from the UK to Colombo took two and a half weeks via the Suez Canal.
Old 13-05-2017, 11:32
Leading Seaman

Quote:
Hi Popeye! Have sent request to your Facebook page. In the meantime, I was going to post the following questions here:
Once George ( my father) reached the shore base at Lanka would he have disembarked and then spent the next year billeted on land?
He was based there a year after the Japs had basically decided that Singapore was more strategically important so had left the area. How would a signalman spend his time and would they have used their skills to assist the airforce that I believe were also based at Lanca?
Cheers, John.
Hi John

You may need to submit your request again as I never got it. Cheers
Old 14-05-2017, 08:43
Chief Petty Officer

Default Re: Service Record: George Shelvey JX3824

Very interesting

My grandfather served Port T and Haitian from when it was conceived on land and in HMS Barmill the boom defence vessel.

Thanks for posting

39-45 Star, Burma Star, France and Germany Star, Defence Medal and War Medal

And my grandmother LACW G I Harvey WAAF
Defence and War medal

Ship Search by Name : Advanced Search
Random Timeline Entry : 6th January 1939 : HMS Aurora : Combined Exercise