World Naval Ships Forums  
VIEW ALL OF OUR CURRENT SPECIAL OFFERS HERE!

Go Back   World Naval Ships Forums > Everything Else > Everything Else
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Everything Else Serious non naval and non maritime subjects - 'Shore Leave' is for chat.

Old 07-09-2013, 18:21
Admiral

Default Patrolling the North - The Canadian Rangers

Thought this unique "military" unit might be of interest to some: (From CBC News)

Canadian Rangers: the thin red line patrolling our harshest terrain
Some 5,000, mostly aboriginal reservists keep watch over Canada's Arctic

"Imagine maintaining a military presence over roughly four million square kilometres of exceedingly harsh terrain using the residents of just one small town.
That's the tricky thing about keeping "boots on the ground" in Canada's Arctic, where the Canadian Rangers have, since 1947, been patrolling the front lines
."

Complete article here:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/story/...n-rangers.html
Old 07-09-2013, 19:24
Forum Moderator

Default Re: Patrolling the North - The Canadian Rangers

Very interesting Tim - this is the first time I have ever heard about the Canadian Rangers.

Even though they might be suited to the ultra-cold climate I still find it astounding that they are equipped with 1950s-era Lee Enfields!!

HMS BADSWORTH [HUNT CLASS DESTROYER]
Old 07-09-2013, 19:37
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by astraltrader View Post
Very interesting Tim - this is the first time I have ever heard about the Canadian Rangers.

Even though they might be suited to the ultra-cold climate I still find it astounding that they are equipped with 1950s-era Lee Enfields!!
Thanks Terry - they are a fiercely proud, very dedicated and extremely valuable extension of the military in their remote regions. I had the privilege of working with them a number of times and always came away very impressed with them and with the work they do.

As far as the rifles are concerned, the army has wanted for years to re-equip them with a more modern weapon, but none of those trialed met the requirement and the majority of the Rangers themselves do not want a new weapon. They say that the venerable .303 is foolproof, sturdy, accurate and reliable.

That said, and primarily because .303 parts are increasingly scarce, the army has decided to replace it with a new bolt action rifle manufactured by Colt Canada, the company which manufactures the small arms for the Canadian Forces. It is expected to be in service by 2015.

Like most of us here I am not a huge fan of Wikipedia, but if you are interested in reading more, the article at the link provides a pretty accurate overview of this organization:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_Rangers

Last edited by astraltrader : 07-09-2013 at 19:43. Reason: My name changed from Jim to Terry!!
Old 07-09-2013, 19:42
Forum Moderator

Tim - you must stop calling me Jim or you will get me confused!!

Old 07-09-2013, 19:45
Admiral

Tim,

Thanks for the information, it is interesting to read about the activities of the various elements of the CDF.

Little h

GFXU - HMS Falmouth in Falmouth Bay
Old 07-09-2013, 19:56
Admiral

Quote:
Tim - you must stop calling me Jim or you will get me confused!!
Lord almighty - where did I do it this time? My previous post (#3 above) said "Terry"
Old 07-09-2013, 19:57
Forum Moderator

Yes because I changed it from Jim!! [look at edit note at bottom of post!]

No matter!

Old 07-09-2013, 20:04
Admiral

Quote:
Yes because I changed it from Jim!! [look at edit note at bottom of post!]

No matter!
Missed that TERRY - good thing you are a Moderator!

My most sincere apologies, as I know this is not the first time I have changed your name!

I shall write myself a large note and stick it by my computer ... and submit myself to whatever you consider an appropriate punishment should I transgress again!

Cheers!
Old 08-09-2013, 01:12
Admiral

Terry and Tim:

The replacement of the Lee Enfield Mk 4 rifle is creating a lot of discussion amongst the chattering class on the army.ca forum. It seems that one big issue is that Canada required the intellectual property to be transferred from its present owner to Colt Canada who have been designated to manufacture 10,000 new rifles. One wonders why the owner of the intellectual property would sell its technology for a mere 10,000 weapons.

The second issue seems to be durability of what is on the market. The rifle must be rugged, easy to maintain and accurate when fired. Bolt action is preferred as it will also be a hunting weapon for the user. It will fire a standard .308/7.62 mm calibre bullet that meets NATO standards. There are rifles that meet the general spec but are not believed to be durable.

It may be that converting the .303 to the .308 and refurbishing the present weapons becomes a viable "interim" solution; but who knows? After all, Canada converted the same weapon from .303 to .22 calibre target rifles for reserves and cadets. I fired it many times on indoor ranges and it worked well.

Brian
Old 08-09-2013, 18:30
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Wentzell View Post
Terry and Tim:

It may be that converting the .303 to the .308 and refurbishing the present weapons becomes a viable "interim" solution; but who knows? After all, Canada converted the same weapon from .303 to .22 calibre target rifles for reserves and cadets. I fired it many times on indoor ranges and it worked well.

Brian
Brian:

I remember that all too well ... boy those things were heavy for a 14 year old Army cadet!

Don't proclaim to be a firearms expert, but wonder whether converting them from .303 to .308. is possible. The conversion to a .22 was relatively simple as it basically entailed inserting a .22 calibre "sleeve" into the existing barrel ... whereas going to a .308 would involve boring out the existing barrel ... not sure what effect that would have on the structural strength of the weapon.

In any case, the Rangers will continue to "soldier on" with whatever they are given and will continue to provide sterling service in their appointed role as "Guardians of The North."
Old 12-09-2013, 23:40
Admiral

Tim: I would expect that the Lee Enfield Mark 4 would have to have a new barrel and chamber to handle the .308 round. Canada rebuilt the old Browning .30 calibre machine gun to handle the .308/7.62 mm Nato ammunition and that worked all right. I don't think the Bren Gun was converted as we replaced that fine weapon with the FN C2 version of the 7.62 mm FN C1 (SLR in Brit nomenclature).

Brian
Old 30-09-2013, 00:29
Admiral

Lovely - another military procurement project going off the rails!

(From the Ottawa Citizen 29 Sep 2013)

No money for new guns for Arctic Rangers

"The country’s military is having trouble coming up with enough money to buy new rifles to replace the 60-year-old guns used in the Arctic by the Canadian Rangers."

Complete article here:

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/news/mo...051/story.html
Old 30-09-2013, 22:52
Admiral

Tim: The purchase of 10,000 military grade bolt action rifles cannot be that complex or costly. I think the procurement types in Ottawa are over thinking the purchase and probably injecting requirements that nobody will accept for a small production run. They do need to work in the harsh north but we are not the only northern country in the world.

Brian
Old 23-06-2015, 19:54
Admiral

Finally some progress on a new rifle for the Rangers!

(From the Ottawa Citizen)

Here it is – the new Sako rifle for the Canadian Rangers

"The Canadian Rangers require a hunting rifle for survival and self defence against large North American carnivores at ranges of 0 metres to 300 metres. Currently, the Rangers use the Lee Enfield No. 4 to meet these requirements but the age and the scarcity of parts for this weapon will soon make it very difficult if not impossible to maintain, according to the Department of National Defence and Colt Canada.

Because of that the New Canadian Ranger Rifle (NCRR) system is being purchased to replace the Lee Enfields
."

Complete article here:

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/nation...nadian-rangers
Old 23-06-2015, 23:18
Admiral

Tim: Sometimes an upcoming election persuades governments to act! This procurement has taken far too long!
Brian
Old 24-06-2015, 00:09
Admiral

I note that Colt Defence LLC, the parent company of Colt Canada, has recently declared bankruptcy.

It will be interesting to see whether that action will affect this contract.
Old 03-09-2016, 15:16
Admiral

Nice to see this finally happening!

(From CBC News)

New rifles for Canadian Rangers will be phased in starting in 2017

"The military "got it right" choosing a new rifle for the Canadian Rangers, according to Carcross, Yukon, patrol commander Sgt. Steve Hahn.

Hahn was one of several dozen Rangers and army soldiers at a news conference with Defence Minister Harjit Sajjan in Whitehorse Friday.

The summer, the government signed a $32.8 million contract with Colt Canada to manufacture 6,820 rifles. The guns will be distributed to the Rangers staring in early 2017 and phased in over three years, until they are fully equipped in 2019.
"

Complete article here:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/north/...ract-1.3747107
Old 20-04-2017, 22:42
Admiral

Just another example of the sort of work the Canadian Rangers do in the North:

Rangers provide support as potential flooding forces evacuation of Northern Ontario community

"A small group of Canadian Rangers are providing assistance in the evacuation of Kashechewan First Nation, an isolated Cree community which faces potential flooding from the Albany River in Northern Ontario.

The team is made up of local Canadian Rangers from Kashechewan and Rangers from three other Northern Ontario First Nations – Constance Lake, Fort Albany, and Fort Hope."

Complete article here:

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/nation...ario-community
Old 20-04-2017, 23:31
Admiral

Here is another report; this time relating to activities of a celebratory or commemorative kind, involving all 60 patrol units in the North!!

Canadian Rangers kick off northern adventure to mark Canada's 150th
All 60 Ranger patrols are relaying baton across north from Yukon to Nunavut then back to Yellowknife

By Dave Croft, CBC News Posted: Apr 14, 2017 7:00 AM CT

The Canadian Rangers are crisscrossing the North over the next year as part of the events to mark Canada's 150th anniversary.

Exercise Baton Ranger 2 officially began Wednesday in Dawson City, Yukon, when a baton was passed on to the Ranger patrol unit there.

It's commander, Sgt. John Mitchell, said the baton is actually a double-bladed axe. An axe is crossed by a rifle on the Rangers crest.

The axe will now be passed between all 60 patrol units in the North said Lt.-Col. Luis Carvallo, the commander of the 1st Canadian Ranger Patrol Group made up of units from Nunavut, N.W.T., Yukon and Atlin, B.C..

"There will be some challenges because the terrain itself is not always conducive between communities, but that's what it's all about," said Carvallo.

"We're going to try and confirm the navigable routes that connect all the 60 patrols across the three territories," he said.

Each community patrol has to submit a plan for taking the baton to the next patrol, Carvallo said. It will make its way to Nunavut and then loop back for a ceremony in Yellowknife next summer.

The only restriction is that it cannot be relayed by air.

Dawson's patrol is responsible for passing the axe on to its counterpart in Mayo about 200 kilometres to the south-east.

Mitchell said that will be "very, very difficult" to do overland right now as the rivers are not safe to travel on by snowmobile.

Mitchell participated in the first baton exercise to mark Canada's 125th anniversary in 1992. Dawson's Rangers carried it north by snowmobile and dogsled to a point on the Ogilivie River.

The first ever Ranger patrol was formed in Dawson City, Mitchell said.

with files from Leonard Linklater

Source; CBC News | North

GFXU - HMS Falmouth in Falmouth Bay
Old 21-04-2017, 02:12
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry.gibbon View Post

Here is another report; this time relating to activities of a celebratory or commemorative kind, involving all 60 patrol units in the North!!

Canadian Rangers kick off northern adventure to mark Canada's 150th
All 60 Ranger patrols are relaying baton across north from Yukon to Nunavut then back to Yellowknife

The Canadian Rangers are crisscrossing the North over the next year as part of the events to mark Canada's 150th anniversary.
Harry:

Interesting to see that these guys (largely members of our indigenous First Nations) are celebrating our 150th anniversary this way.

Many of our First Nations have chosen not to participate in any of the 150th festivities on the grounds that they were nations in their own right long before 1867 ... and that all the 150th represents is 150 years of colonialization and mistreatment. (I must admit that I tend to agree with them in many ways.)

Similarly, many here in Quebec are ignoring the 150th altogether on the grounds that it merely marks 150 years of British oppression!

A very different mood than in our centennial year in 1967, when the whole country was wrapped in an aura of national pride, unity and a sense that there was nothing we couldn't accomplish as a nation.

Ah, it's a grand country this land of mine!
Old 01-05-2017, 21:59
Admiral

A major tragedy for the Canadian Rangers:

Body of Canadian Ranger recovered

"The body of Walter Ladouceur, 42, was recovered from the Rocher River in northern Alberta on Sunday.

The RCMP is still searching for three other missing hunters.

Three of the four hunters, missing since April 23, are members of the Canadian Rangers. They were from the Fort Chipewyan Canadian Ranger Patrol.
"

Complete article here:

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/nation...-still-missing

Ship Search by Name : Advanced Search
Random Timeline Entry : 8th January 1969 : HMS Decoy : In the Okinawa Areas