World Naval Ships Forums  
VIEW ALL OF OUR CURRENT SPECIAL OFFERS HERE!

Go Back   World Naval Ships Forums > Naval History > Royal Navy Ships and Crews
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Royal Navy Ships and Crews Topics relating to a specific Royal Navy ship or ships

Old 13-08-2017, 06:21
Admiral

Default Re: RN Aircraft Carriers: Queen Elizabeth Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelican View Post
"There have been several other cases in the US of people shooting drones even though the Federal Aviation Agency has explicitly stated that it is illegal to do so."
From - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-33312582
Auntie Beeb is wrong here - US courts have ruled it legal in specific circumstances: https://www.theverge.com/2015/10/28/...leared-charges
That article refers to the drone operator's intent to file a lawsuit, the following article reports on that suit's dismissal, and cites a 1946 US court ruling that "private property" includes the airspace above the land surface*: https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/...iled-by-pilot/

* http://caselaw.findlaw.com/us-suprem...t/328/256.html
Old 13-08-2017, 14:43
Admiral

Exclamation Re: RN Aircraft Carriers: Queen Elizabeth Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash View Post
2104 Looks like she is on the Move
Appears to be heading southerly for the Irish Sea?
https://twitter.com/hashtag/PompeyRevs?src=hash
Old 13-08-2017, 14:58
Commodore

Definitely heading south down the west coast.
I was hoping she'd sail down the east coast, I may (if not raining) have been able to see her enter the Dover Strait.

Also, some traditions don't seem to change, OOW manoeuvres commenced at 1201 and ended 13.01 !!!

Jack.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg QUEEN ELIZABETH 6.jpg (218.7 KB, 40 views)
Old 13-08-2017, 22:01
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackW1208 View Post
Definitely heading south down the west coast.
Does the 'skipper' in charge of this sea passage not have a Master Mariners Certificate that allows for the ship to journey (too far) into international waters - just joking - but ....she does appear to be generally following the 12 mile limit.

Little h
Attached Images
File Type: jpg QE (R08) Vessel Finder Screenshot (3049).jpg (322.4 KB, 23 views)

GFXU - HMS Falmouth in Falmouth Bay
Old 14-08-2017, 05:22
Leading Seaman

Heading for Glasgow ?
Old 14-08-2017, 08:53
Commodore

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry.gibbon View Post
Does the 'skipper' in charge of this sea passage not have a Master Mariners Certificate that allows for the ship to journey (too far) into international waters - just joking - but ....she does appear to be generally following the 12 mile limit.

Little h
Little h,
Probably doesn't want the hassle of customs clearance when going alongside in Pompey!

Latest www.vesselfinder.com screen shot image:

Off the Isle of Arran.

Jack.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg QUEEN ELIZABETH 7.jpg (208.9 KB, 18 views)
Old 14-08-2017, 10:45
Admiral

2 HRS AGO:

"Back to the area where Lower Blocks 03/04 and the Aft Island were constructed back in 2012. A truly national effort of 11000 workers."

See - https://twitter.com/HMSQnlz/media
Old 14-08-2017, 14:28
Commodore

A few vids on all the work that has gone into getting Portsmouth ready for the QE. Perhaps vid 10 is a response to the drone incident :-

https://twitter.com/hashtag/Portsmouthisready?src=hash
Old 14-08-2017, 15:38
Admiral

820 Naval Air Squadron will be on board HMS Queen Elizabeth as she sails into her homeport this week.

This follows several months of working with the carrier during her sea trials off the coast of Scotland.
Lieutenant Rob Andrews, one of the squadron’s pilots, said:
“This is the first time I have had the chance to both see and operate with the ship and it is still very exciting and hugely rewarding to be one of the first to work from such an impressive ship.
820 NAS has been working with HMS Queen Elizabeth in support of her contractor sea trials. This has seen us operate as a helicopter delivery platform providing essential stores and crew work-up ahead of our more operational role when she is formally commissioned into the fleet.”
According to the Royal Navy:
“820 NAS is the Royal Navy’s oldest and most decorated frontline unit and is made up of roughly 150 men and women – a highly skilled mix of flight crew and engineers.
The Merlin Mk2 is a vastly capable aircraft, with its primary role being for anti-submarine warfare, although it can protect HMS Queen Elizabeth and her task group from a range of sub-surface, surface and air attacks.
Recent years have seen them operate in the Middle East and off the west coast of Africa during the Ebola crisis.”

The Queen Elizabeth class carriers are the largest and most powerful warships ever constructed for the Royal Navy, but what will they carry?

The term now used for the carriers embarked squadrons is ‘Carrier Air Wing’ (CVW), the previously used Tailored Air Group (TAG) has fallen out of official use. The vessels are capable of deploying a variety of aircraft in large numbers, up to a maximum in the upper fifties in surge conditions.
Captain Jerry Kyd, commander of HMS Queen Elizabeth, commented on the initial deployment and the gradual increase in air wing numbers:
“We are constrained by the F-35 buy rate even though that was accelerated in SDSR in 2015, so initial operating capability numbers in 2020 are going to be very modest indeed.
We will flesh it out with helicopters, and a lot depends on how many USMC F-35s come on our first deployment in 2021. But by 2023, we are committed to 24 UK jets onboard, and after that it’s too far away to say.”
In addition to the joint force of Royal Air Force and Royal Navy F-35Bs and their pilots, the air wing is expected to be composed of a ‘Maritime Force Protection’ package of nine anti-submarine Merlin HM2 and four or five Merlin for airborne early warning; alternatively a ‘Littoral Manoeuvre’ package could include a mix of RAF Chinooks, Army Apaches, Merlin HC4 and Wildcat HM2. We understand that vessel would still carry at least one F-35 squadron aboard in such circumstances to offer air defence as well as support to the helicopter assault activities.
The Crowsnest AEW&C aircraft will come from a number of the embarked Merlins (any of which can be fitted with the sensor package), the number again scaling with requirements.
Around the time the first carrier deploys operationally, the UK will have 42 F-35 aircraft, with 24 being front-line fighters and the remaining 18 will be used for training (at least 5 on the OCU), be in reserve or in maintenance.
Recently, the Ministry of Defence confirmed plans for the deployment of American F-35 aircraft alongside British jets aboard HMS Queen Elizabeth.
The addition of US Marine Corps aircraft will see HMS Queen Elizabeth sail with 24 or so F-35Bs in addition to around 14 or so helicopters for her maiden deployment. It is understood that the US aircraft will augment British jets on coalition operations.
The Queen Elizabeth class mark a change from expressing carrier power in terms of number of aircraft carried, to the number of sortie’s that can be generated from the deck. The class are not the largest class of carrier in the world but they are most likely the smallest and least expensive carrier the Royal Navy could build which still have the advantages that large carriers offer.

Source UKDJ
Old 14-08-2017, 22:03
Commodore

Queen Elizabeth now due to enter Portsmouth early [0710] Wednesday 16th :-

https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/conf...ednesday-16th/
Old 15-08-2017, 11:35
Admiral

HMS Queen Elizabeth‏ @HMSQnlz 6 hours ago

Myttin da (Good Morning) from the coast of #Kernow Our first tweet from the South Coast and 24hrs until #Pompey

[Would have been about 0625]

I note the site's thread time appears to be 10 minutes ahead?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s.c..jpg (345.9 KB, 25 views)

Last edited by Pelican : 15-08-2017 at 11:37. Reason: Addition
Old 15-08-2017, 12:10
Sub-Lieutenant

It appears to me that she will be at Pompey well before 0700 Hrs Wednesday 16th ??
Old 15-08-2017, 14:28
Commodore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Else View Post
It appears to me that she will be at Pompey well before 0700 Hrs Wednesday 16th ??
QHM Portsmouth movements for Wed 16th Aug :-

http://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/qhm/port...ate=16/08/2017
Old 15-08-2017, 20:17
Sub-Lieutenant

Thank you 'GF'

Regards
Old 15-08-2017, 20:31
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by gruntfuttock View Post
QHM Portsmouth movements for Wed 16th Aug :-

http://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/qhm/port...ate=16/08/2017
What time is sunrise? I suspect that there will be a lot of very disappointed photographers in Pompey if they are unable to catch this historic moment on camera.
Old 15-08-2017, 21:51
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scatari View Post
What time is sunrise? I suspect that there will be a lot of very disappointed photographers in Pompey if they are unable to catch this historic moment on camera.
Tim please see - https://www.timeanddate.com/sun/uk/portsmouth - well you did ask!

Sunset this evening and some more photos if you scroll down - https://twitter.com/HMSQnlz
Old 15-08-2017, 22:07
Commodore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scatari View Post
@Tim
Right at the begining of the link it tells you, 0553hrs. Pay attention that man . So as she won't be coming through the main vantage points until approx 0700hrs, there should be plenty of opportunity for spectators to get their photos.

GF
Old 15-08-2017, 22:08
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelican View Post
Tim please see - https://www.timeanddate.com/sun/uk/portsmouth - well you did ask!

Sunset this evening and some more photos if you scroll down - https://twitter.com/HMSQnlz
Thank you kind Sir - looks as though the camera buffs should be OK.

It will be interesting to see how large the turnout is - seems to me that the last event such as this might have been the return of the Task Group after the Falklands War ... or am I getting carried away?
Old 15-08-2017, 22:16
Admiral

Quote:
@Tim
Right at the begining of the link it tells you, 0553hrs. Pay attention that man . So as she won't be coming through the main vantage points until approx 0700hrs, there should be plenty of opportunity for spectators to get their photos.

GF
I missed that, but Pelican did provide the info at his post - thanks.
Old 15-08-2017, 22:37
Commodore

Make sure you get it on youtube :-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-iCbfkJmSI
Old 15-08-2017, 23:35
Petty Officer

[quote=Scatari;10168255]Thank you kind Sir - looks as though the camera buffs should be OK.

It will be interesting to see how large the turnout is - seems to me that the last event such as this might have been the return of the Task Group after the Falklands War ... or am I getting carried away?

There was a huge welcome given to the USS Iowa when she visited Portsmouth in 1986.
Old 16-08-2017, 09:39
Vice-Admiral

The aha! moment - 0700 on my son's tablet - watched her for half-an-hour, I think the camera point was on Warrior; saw her come up to and pass the Round Tower, with six tugs crawling forward and five helicopters on the flight deck. We wondered if there might be a fly-off but I expect that would have been too ostentatious.

Then son went off to get breakfast after his night shift (then off to bed) leaving me to finish making my bed !

Edna
Old 16-08-2017, 10:57
Lieutenant

I went to Gosport Waterfront this morning to take my son to watch her coming in (15 minute walk from home).

The waterfront was about 10 - 15 deep with people (absolutely jammed), I'd hate to think what Old Portsmouth was like!

But it was worth the walk - She is an absolute beast of a vessel to put it mildly!

There were flypasts from a a group of mixed helicopters (and a couple of Wildcats were hovering about doing security tasking) and then 2 hawk jets at about 0715-ish.

Getting to work in Collingwood took a bit longer than planned this morning as the 'visitors' departed Gosport.

Regards,

Craig
Old 16-08-2017, 11:34
Commodore

The following link has a cracking aerial photo of QE entering:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/index.html

Jack.
Old 16-08-2017, 14:19
Admiral

Quote:
Make sure you get it on youtube :-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-iCbfkJmSI
Excellent footage - thanks for the link.

Ship Search by Name : Advanced Search
Random Timeline Entry : 27th January 1940 : HMS Diana : Arrived Bergen with Convoy ON.15