World Naval Ships Forums  
VIEW ALL OF OUR CURRENT SPECIAL OFFERS HERE!

Go Back   World Naval Ships Forums > Shore Leave > Shore Leave
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Shore Leave Off topic discussion and general chat.

Old 23-03-2017, 17:17
Admiral

Default Re: All at Sea

Every time I read one of these, it just takes me back. It's all every day stuff, no drama, just life at sea but vastly different from your mates ashore.
Thanks again
Jim
Old 25-03-2017, 12:58
Rear-Admiral

Hiya Jim"Vegaskip"

All my ditts are about times at sea .. when ships went to sea ,to show the flag , a create a sense of power over the globe.
This is why I signed on for , then you got the odd fly in the ornament, of coarse , where we had to pull up, and show our guns ..... but during my days , life was nice and smooth .. and our navy was still in intact [ The birth of the Leander's]as you might call it .

Jim
Old 25-03-2017, 13:01
Rear-Admiral

Never spending hardly any time in a shore base .. ...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg old homes.jpg (1.30 MB, 22 views)

Jim
Old 25-03-2017, 15:16
Admiral

I was referring to my Civilian mates ashore. Eg. one an apprentice printer, another apprentice Cooper. (Both of whom had the last laugh, one retiring as a printer, with a good wage, the other made a fortune making ornamental garden tubs!.)
I still wouldn't change it.
Jim

Last edited by Vegaskip : 25-03-2017 at 19:17.
Old 25-03-2017, 18:37
Captain

Neither would I.
Old 26-03-2017, 10:20
Vice-Admiral

Doesn't work our exact, but roughly I spent about 54 months at Shore Bases, and 77 months in sea going ship...........plus 5 months at ORION, which though were in ships (TYNE) and (URANIA), weren't in commission.

Best ship by a country mile was 1965-66 in AJAX.

Jim and I were in same mess, in same ship (CHICHESTER), but different commissions.
Old 29-03-2017, 13:09
Admiral

In my 23 years , 14 years a rating , the rest as an Officer, the only shore job I had was 2 yrs , DO at Raleigh & 18 months Defiance. I did have 2 yrs training to be a Mechanician. I do remember in 51 hearing Mountbatten saying that sailors should be at sea. That didn't go down very well.
Old 12-07-2017, 09:31
Rear-Admiral

When life is all “ Deja-vu
During my time in pusser, I had left my old home Scylla, and had a draft to the Royal Naval Hospital Stonehouse. Plymouth
It was a total of 10 months living in guzz [R.A]..I had every weekend off , other than being duty [ one in sixteen ]
Which ended with a two year draft to HMS Rooke {Gibraltar}
Now decades of years on , I am now still going to hospital ,every day in the afternoon [ blue card number] to see my wife ,who so far she has spent 3 months in dock .
If anyone had told me, life repeats its self, I would never have believed them
Attached Images
File Type: jpg R.N.H Stonehouse Plymouth.jpg (273.2 KB, 13 views)

Jim
Old 12-07-2017, 11:04
Admiral

Let's hope she gets out soon and you can both get on with your lives.
Jim
Old 12-07-2017, 15:30
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CYLLA View Post
Now decades of years on , I am now still going to hospital ,every day in the afternoon [ blue card number] to see my wife ,who so far she has spent 3 months in dock .
If anyone had told me, life repeats its self, I would never have believed them
Sorry to see that Jim, I wish her a full and speedy recovery and hope you are reunited in the marital home soon. I hate hospitals.

Jim
Old 01-08-2017, 11:53
Rear-Admiral

sitrep .. Tuesday 01/08/2017
The skipper is back home , so the "jimmy " [ that's me] is chuffed to bits ..after 16 weeks in dock ...
Now we can live our life again together ...

Jim
Old 01-08-2017, 12:09
Admiral

That's good news Jim.
Old 01-08-2017, 18:04
Admiral

I'll second that, excellent news indeed. Make sure you look after her, although I don't think I need to tell you that!.
Jim
Old 01-08-2017, 18:45
Forum Moderator

Great news Jim, pleased you have relinquished your acting skipper duties and reverted to Jimmy the One.

Jim
Old 01-08-2017, 20:43
Admiral

Quote:
The skipper is back home , so the "jimmy " [ that's me] is chuffed to bits ..after 16 weeks in dock ...
Wonderful news Jim - I'm very happy for you both.
Old 02-08-2017, 06:55
Vice-Admiral

Quote:

Whilst great news Jim, when did you get promoted? Thought you were messdeck sweeper/captain of heads?

Joking apart, chuffed to nuts for you Ops.
Old 12-08-2017, 17:48
Rear-Admiral

Mess deck [M/D ] to Married Quarters [ M/Q ]

Here is my own spin, on what life was like for myself and the Mrs

My very first home {ship} we had our meals in the mess deck after getting our scran from the galley along the Burma Way, I will never forget those aluminium trays ,with custard mixing with the gravy as you tried to keep your footing , then scrambling down the mess ladder ,to the table below .

Then on my second and third home {ship} we had a dining hall, which was just alongside the galley, and as well was the scullery where we placed all our dirty trays to be washed, this felt like a life of luxury , after the first mess deck .
Sleeping was in hammocks, which were great to sleep in, but a right pain, to lase up and stow, if you were suffering from a massive hang over , while living in my first home , ..... the second and third ships ,it was bunks in both ,roll in ,crash out , roll out , complete luxury again ,after coming off shore ..

After leaving my third home, I had got married, and at first, we got a room at aggie Weston’s in Plymouth.
It was not long before a flat turned up at Saltash across the river. It was a ground floor flat, with a front and back garden, to where the Mrs sat out in during the day, and not far from the local shops, thoe we did have a car , which my wife owned when we got married .

Not many weeks later, we had our very first M/Q at St Budeaux.
It was one of the new maisonettes built by the front facing the dockyard, it was ground floor, and a view right across the dockyard, not that I was interested in looking over my work place, but I was noticing the movement of ships of the day .We had 11 months living there , till I received a new draft .
The wife went up to live with her mum in Liverpool, and taking our baby son with her.

I was flown out to H.M.S Rooke, it was going to be for 2 years.
For a few weeks, I was in Rooke, which was so boring till I found a uptown flat, it was very basic, to how we had lived in Plymouth, but it was a start , and being so near to the sea ,was just the job for the wife .It was in the buildings on Cumberland Rd .To get to Rooke , I had a “red devil “from the “buffers” store .of which I enjoyed cycling along Rosia Road .
It was another few months in the flat, and we received notice I was to be given a caravan, at the M/Qs in Cormorant. So, I had to hand back my “red devil” It felt very crowded in the caravan, after having have the space in the flat. But it was still hot during the day , and so we took walks to the beach during the day , and up town

.After only another few months , we got our very own M/Qs in Cormorant .
It felt like luxury having so much space, the living room was so large, kitchen and bathroom too. plus, bed room. And the hall way, our young lad could peddle his car down it. This was going to be the very best time of our life’s
My place of work was on Arlingham, duty guard ship at the time, which was berthed just across the way, at Coaling Island, and our son, could see daddy going out to sea in the morning, before going off to the beach for the day with Mum .Then we got our hands on a small rowing boat , and I kept it tired up ,down at Coaling Island , going out at times in to the harbour and to the moles, where we could go fishing .

Then the day came, and we had to leave, but this time, we were going to live with my wife’s mum, till it was time for me to go along to Drake, and go outside.
This is a short ditty, of the time, living in the R.N during the 1970,s .

Jim
Old 13-08-2017, 08:39
Admiral

Another interesting little 'clipł from life Jim. Unusually for a ' WAFU' we only managed one spell in MQs and that was at RNAS Arbroath. 1964 March to October. A new Flat at the Clifburn Estate. We were the first in the block, and everything was brand new, even the cutlery was still in its wrapping. As you can see it didn't last long, I got my 'hook', a short draft to Lossie then on to th Vic.
I suppose I was lucky in that, most of my shore time was either Arbroath or Lossimouth, so weekend leave was practical.
Jim
Old 13-08-2017, 09:42
Rear-Admiral

Here is a piccy of St Budeaux... and it shows our first M/Q along Savage RD
Attached Images
File Type: jpg devonport aerial view late 1987.jpg (386.4 KB, 15 views)

Jim
Old 13-08-2017, 15:02
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Here is a piccy of St Budeaux... and it shows our first M/Q along Savage RD
I went on a coach holiday to Torquay a few years ago and it included a day trip to Plymouth. At Plymouth there was an option to stay on the coach and go on a guided tour of Plymouth and Devonport. My wife and I stayed aboard for the tour. Although I had seen the MQ's from the dockyard, I had never ventured across to St Budeaux.
I was really disappointed with the condition of the old married quarters there which, I believe, had been handed over to Plymouth City Council. They looked very shabby and there was everything hanging up in the windows - instead of curtains - including old sheets, bin liners, cardboard. It all looked very run down.
When I was on the Ark, I was under 21 years of age and wasn't entitled to a Married Quarter so, after we returned from the Far East, and while I was de-storing her for the long refit in 1967, I rented a flat at Wolsden Street, near Stonehouse RNH. We also rented a flat at home during that time, so moved back there when I was drafted to Collingwood.
I joined Undaunted in 1968, and still wasn't 21, but as soon as I was, I applied for married quarters at Portland, where we were day-running. I was allocated a house at Bowers Road at the top of the hill, near the Admiralty Underwater Weapons Establishment - I still kept my flat in Sunderland.
After Undaunted I was drafted to Portsmouth Fleet Maintenance Unit and moved into a married quarter at Fort Cumberland Road, Eastney, overlooking the Solent. The flat at Sunderland was due to be demolished, so we moved all of our furniture down to Eastney.
We all had first hand experience of a Nomadic existence.

Jim

Ship Search by Name : Advanced Search
Random Timeline Entry : 9th January 1912 : HMS Jason : Spithead Review