World Naval Ships Forums  
VIEW ALL OF OUR CURRENT SPECIAL OFFERS HERE!

Go Back   World Naval Ships Forums > Naval History > Navy Ship Crew Reunions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Navy Ship Crew Reunions Got information about a reunion? Announce it here.

Old 28-05-2017, 19:04
Rear-Admiral

Location: Cumbria. (The place where they deposit their nuclear waste)
Default HMS Ceylon

Got the newsletter yesterday stating that the CEYLON ASSOC is no more,apparently we have joined in with the the other Colony class ships , no reason given to why this has come about, it was agreed on the last meeting but not having been there the news letter has`nt stated why this has come about---our membership was strong and the funds were good, I`ve asked for an explaination from one of the committee by e mail but up until now I have had no response ---seems funny that this has come out of the blue, generally an association folds up it due to lack of membership.
Old 28-05-2017, 20:41
Admiral

Default Re: HMS Ceylon

The men who were in the Colonies are getting old now so could it be that there is not enough interest in some of the individual ships and they think they will make a better go of it if you grouped together.
Old 28-05-2017, 21:13
Vice-Admiral

Sadly you are right Johnny...........I was one of, if not THE youngest, in CEYLON during her final commission, and I'm 76 next birthday. So those remaining must be nearly all well over 80
Old 29-05-2017, 09:13
Rear-Admiral

Hiya Scurs , I came cross this pic on S.N site ....
Of Ceylon at Johore Straits ..just wondered if it was around the time , she was your home ...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HMS_CEYLON_Jahore_Straits_IWM_RAF-T_773_ (Copy).jpg (108.8 KB, 20 views)

Jim
Old 29-05-2017, 09:45
Vice-Admiral

Photo is too indistinct to be certain Jim, but it looks as if she has lattice foremast, which dates it after her 1955-56 modernisation...........so would say in answer to your question, "probably".
Old 29-05-2017, 22:25
Rear-Admiral

You could be right Johnny about the age,I`m 81 and the crew members on previous commissions as far back as the Far East war are still attending the meetings must be older but the point that I was making members who did not attend the final meeting should have been informed of the change, in fact we have a serving member on WNSF who might have read this and given some answers to why this has happened, this is my second association that has packed in ( we were down to 12 members) that was the Z class destroyers , we had a final do in Whitley Bay.
Old 06-06-2017, 13:51
Rear-Admiral

Finely got an answer on why the closure of the CEYLON ASSOC------it appears that it was all down to the dwindling attendances at the reunions, at the last one there were 40 at the reunion,20 were members, 20 non members , 1 being a widow of a past member, the committee decided that enough was enough and disbanded the association and joined in with the Colony Class Cruiser Meetings, apparently this comprises of no committee members, no minutes, no subs etc, whether this is going to be an annual do or a meeting of ex crew members now and again, thats as much as I`ve gathered from our assoc editor, no doubt we will get a final news letter in the future explaining everything. All good things come to an end!!!
Old 06-06-2017, 14:30
Vice-Admiral

Dave, I admit I pulled out of the CEYLON association many years ago, but easily the answer to "why", is AGE!

With the AJAX Association, we are lucky inasmuch as although most of those who served in the Cruiser have crossed the bar, plenty still exist who served in the Frigate of the same name.

Poor old "220" doesn't have that advantage..........unless Peruvians join in!
As I said earlier, I was the YOUNGEST, and I am 76 next birthday.
The one reunion I attended, back in 1980's, had at a guess 300+ attendees, all ex-crew members, but representing OUR Commission, her last, were just FOUR people..........POGI Jacobs, L/Sea "Harry" Dyson, "wossisname" who was Crane Driver..........and me.
Old 09-06-2017, 12:36
Rear-Admiral

Scurs--that crane driver was John Cook L/Elec----we are in touch thro` e mails --but just lately he has contacted Asbestosis and in a bad way , can hardly breath but has been compensated by the navy --not much good to him now ---we did`nt know the consequences of work with that stuff in our days, we are now paying for it now----I had a check up for it and found to be ok , thank goodness---all our pipes in the boiler/engine rooms were covered in the stuff in those days, wonder what they use now in this modern navy of ours.
Old 09-06-2017, 20:44
Vice-Admiral

Didn't know you was in touch with him Dave...............when next you correspond, send him my best please. he probably won';t remember me, but he, Harry & I were chatting after the dinner at the reunion I attended - I left it early as wasn't booked to stay the night anywhere and had a 150 mile drive to face.............I got home around 0300.

Pic 1...................Hangar Deck, Colombo, 1959

Pic 2...................Over half a century later
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 40mm.jpg (303.5 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg Ray Casual.jpg (627.4 KB, 5 views)

Ship Search by Name : Advanced Search
Random Timeline Entry : 28th January 1905 : HMS Drake : At Portsmouth