World Naval Ships Forums  
VIEW ALL OF OUR CURRENT SPECIAL OFFERS HERE!

Go Back   World Naval Ships Forums > Naval History > Canadian Ships and Crews
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Canadian Ships and Crews Topics relating to a specific Canadian ship or ships.

Old 08-03-2010, 18:51
Ordinary Seaman

Default Re: Royal Canadian Navy Aircraft Carriers

For anyone interested in Canadian carrier aircraft, the Naval Museum of Alberta in Calgary has an example of the Seafire, Sea Fury and a Banshee on display. At least they did before they moved the museum from the grounds of HMCS Tecumseh to the combined Military Museum located across Crowchild Trail from the old Army base.
Old 18-03-2010, 16:09
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by lew View Post
Hello fellas, I was searching some Navy sites and came across this board recentely and am very impressed with what I have seen.

I served in the RCN for 3 years in the mid 60's mostly aboard Annapolis & Provider.

We did a couple cruises with the Bonnie and I took this picture somewhere in the Carribean about 1964 as she was coming alongside Provider to top off her fuel tanks. You can make out quite a few Tracker aircraft on the flight deck.

Sorry for the poor picture quality but it's the best I have.

Looking forward to spending many hours reading this board.
Lew

That is a wonderful photo you posted in #23 thanks for sharing.

Sent you a PM

Dave

Last edited by astraltrader : 18-03-2010 at 18:35. Reason: Removal of duplicated picture
Old 05-01-2011, 16:44
Ordinary Seaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by BV22 View Post
...So anyone that have photos please feel free to send me an email...
Blackfly - who's seen my pics - and BV22 were asking for photos, but rather than email them, I'll direct you to my web site*. I was in from May '64 - '72, but my time on Bonnie was brief (Sep '67 - May '68) as I'd already requested to go boats and my Basic Submarine course started the day after I left Bonnie (sad, but I hadn't really realized at the time how few photos I'd take while on boats... likely over 95% of shots while in the navy were taken in the first 50% or fours years of my time and I didn't even have a decent camera at first).

While I was RP / NCI Ops, I was tasked to "operate" the Bonnie's FLOLS glide path control system, along with PO Matisse and Rick Giles. 'Operating' largely consisted of sitting in the control room waiting for something to fail (it never did). For those unfamiliar with 'Floss' - which was how it was pronounced - it was a fresnel lens based system on a dedicated sponson (Image 90). And leading from there to a hatchway across from the control room (analog computer control) was one of those typically huge nets... a great place to lie around, read or whatever with privacy. FLOLS: Fresnel Lens Optical Landing System (fairly new at the time and for interest, upgraded to IFLOLS starting in 1997... I = Improved for more precision).

* http://www.intersiteimaging.com/ ('Kodachrome' > 'Navy' - Bonnie shots throughout... All Kodachrome was scanned on a low-end flat-bed (~$150), but I hope to rescan around 2014... I note that some of my early scans in 'Navy' are rather small - when I rescan, they'll all be larger).

Last edited by BrettA : 05-01-2011 at 17:05.
Old 20-01-2011, 04:03
Ordinary Seaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartd View Post
Hi Robert, here are some pix of Bonnie models. The first 3 are in the Canadian Warplane Heritage Museum in Hamilton. The rest are from the Shearwater Museum in Halifax.
Thanks, looking good
Old 20-01-2011, 04:06
Ordinary Seaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettA View Post
Blackfly - who's seen my pics - and BV22 were asking for photos, but rather than email them, I'll direct you to my web site*. I was in from May '64 - '72, but my time on Bonnie was brief (Sep '67 - May '68) as I'd already requested to go boats and my Basic Submarine course started the day after I left Bonnie (sad, but I hadn't really realized at the time how few photos I'd take while on boats... likely over 95% of shots while in the navy were taken in the first 50% or fours years of my time and I didn't even have a decent camera at first).

While I was RP / NCI Ops, I was tasked to "operate" the Bonnie's FLOLS glide path control system, along with PO Matisse and Rick Giles. 'Operating' largely consisted of sitting in the control room waiting for something to fail (it never did). For those unfamiliar with 'Floss' - which was how it was pronounced - it was a fresnel lens based system on a dedicated sponson (Image 90). And leading from there to a hatchway across from the control room (analog computer control) was one of those typically huge nets... a great place to lie around, read or whatever with privacy. FLOLS: Fresnel Lens Optical Landing System (fairly new at the time and for interest, upgraded to IFLOLS starting in 1997... I = Improved for more precision).

* http://www.intersiteimaging.com/ ('Kodachrome' > 'Navy' - Bonnie shots throughout... All Kodachrome was scanned on a low-end flat-bed (~$150), but I hope to rescan around 2014... I note that some of my early scans in 'Navy' are rather small - when I rescan, they'll all be larger).
I sent you an email trough you website to make contact hope you got it ?
Great pictures especially the one of the COD pretty rare pix...
Looking forward to hearing from you.
Old 06-02-2011, 22:58
Ordinary Seaman

Exclamation Re: Royal Canadian Navy Aircraft Carriers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lastvautour View Post
Unfortunately there are so few decent Bonnie pictures to be had on line. I have completed a 1/350 scale model and am currently making a 1/144 scale version. The first Bonnie has many errors due to unavailability of decent drawings which will be corrected in the larger ship.
I am interested in chatting with anybody else who is making or has made a Bonnie.

Lou

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8416077...7606220286182/
hi im in the process of building the bonnie from a heller 1/400 model kit called the hms colossus .they are simmilar in build .im scratch building it . have 8 tracker aircraft made from resin and 2 sets of pe a 1/400 sea king helocopter made from resin. some styrene plastic .aalso decals from canmilair.com. suggest you try the site:[url]http://www.shipmodels.info is a guy from Vancouver who done an exellent job on building the bonnie.his name is Ryan.by the whey i love your build very nice and crispand well done.
Old 31-03-2013, 16:47
Forum Moderator

I recently uploaded a recently purchased photograph of HMCS Magnificent in the RN carrier section by mistake.

Although we do our best to cut down on duplicated pictures in the forum I feel it is both fair and justified to include the photo here as well.

The photo was taken in Malta sometime during 1951. It was very small in size so I carefully scanned it at 600dpi to make it viewable.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HMCS MAGNIFICENT.jpg (241.1 KB, 61 views)

HMS BADSWORTH [HUNT CLASS DESTROYER]
Old 01-04-2013, 14:26
Petty Officer

Here are a few photos of H.M.C.S. Bonaventure taken between 1968 and her decommissioning in 1970. In the second photo she has her paying off pennant trailing in the breeze as she passes under the MacKay Bridge. The last two photos are shots taken as she awaited her final disposition. She was jetted at Naval Air Station Shearwater.
Old 01-04-2013, 22:35
Admiral

LSRP2:

These are moving photos and thanks for posting them. It was said to see Bonnie decommissioned before her time, as one more refit would have likely extended her to 1975. However, her crew needs were significant and the Navy was continually short of people through the 1960s and 1970s. The Sea King helicopters were moved to the AORs and DDHs, so the real loss of capability was the absence of the Tracker aircraft from the task force and the loss of a ship that could transport army equipment, as both Magnificent and Bonnie had done in 1956 and 1964, respectively. In the end, the loss of capability did not really matter as the Cold War remained cold and we, thankfully, were not put to the test.

Brian
Old 02-04-2013, 12:27
Petty Officer

Bonnie also carried military equipment in 1969 and 1970. We made a run to Jamiaca with the Van Doo's transports for an exercise in 1969. In 1970 we made run to Narvik to bring the trucks, jeeps, tanks, etc from a Northern exercise home. For the Narvik run we replaced H.M.C.S. Protecteur which was in Halifax for repairs. She was a valuable piece of the Navy's operations and was greatly missed.

During Operation SilverTower 1968 Bonnie had a better flying operations record
than either H.M.S. Eagle or U.S.S. Wasp. She was small but she was mighty.
Old 03-04-2013, 02:01
Admiral

LSPR2: Thanks for the info. One learns something new everyday! I note you were be followed in photo 4 by a Riga Class frigate from the Soviet fleet.
Brian
Old 03-04-2013, 19:29
Chief Petty Officer

LSRP2: I too help the army bring its kit home from Narvik in 76, In PRESERVER with Capt Hank Vondett. He was a signalman at the second battle of Narvik in WII. I was a newly minted subbie and had the honour of being his DeckO in Preserver
I sailed in company with Bonnie in 1969 when I was the metmate in St Laurent and then again in the late 70's as a Lt in Nipigon. I can remember the sight of her alongside in Norfolk, dwarfed by the US carriers. My Dad was in her commissioning crew.
Old 04-04-2013, 02:25
Lieutenant

Thanks Brett.

The Sea King 50th guys at the Shearwater museum would love to have your Sea King pics.

Can you tell me anything more about what you were doing on the Bonnie in your job. What was the job like? Anything you can detail on it? Anything about the ops rooms, air control side of the ship?

Thanks again.
Old 04-04-2013, 12:07
Petty Officer

Terry - we were always dwarfed by U.S. and British carriers but only in physical size. Bonnie always managed to preform up to and beyond expectations when sailing with other carriers. The "Old Double Duece" will not fade from memory as long as members of her crew are still seeing grass from the green side.

Old 04-04-2013, 13:01
Petty Officer

Brian - on that particular trip we picked up a number of Russian shadows at various times. On April 6th we had a Russian Oceanographic vessel the " "Arkepilag" with us for 8 to 9 hours. We were also over flown by 3 Bear class planes.
After we left Narvik on our return journey we were again joined by the oceanographic vessel for a short time on the 12th of April. She was replaced by a Riga class #749. The destroyer spent part of her time making passes down the port and starboard sides - taking photos of us as we took photos of her. The Riga left us at 1027Z, replaced by a Samara class AGS the Tropik. She stayed with us for 6 hours.

Dave
Old 04-04-2013, 13:29
Admiral

Dave: It is always nice to have "friends" in the neighbourhood who want "fond" memories of their visit!
Brian
Old 03-06-2013, 20:22
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSRP2 View Post
Bonnie also carried military equipment in 1969 and 1970. We made a run to Jamiaca with the Van Doo's transports for an exercise in 1969. In 1970 we made run to Narvik to bring the trucks, jeeps, tanks, etc from a Northern exercise home. For the Narvik run we replaced H.M.C.S. Protecteur which was in Halifax for repairs. She was a valuable piece of the Navy's operations and was greatly missed.

During Operation SilverTower 1968 Bonnie had a better flying operations record
than either H.M.S. Eagle or U.S.S. Wasp. She was small but she was mighty.
LSRP2:

Just revisiting this thread and having a closer look at your photos of Bonnie.

Interesting to see the LCVP on the flight deck in photo#1 ... I am guessing that she is one of the ones later embarked in Preserver/Protecteur.

Also a question for you ... do you have any idea as to the identity of what appears to be something on fire astern of the ship in photo#3 ... is it the Soviet Riga which appears in photo #4?

Cheers!

Last edited by Scatari : 03-06-2013 at 20:23. Reason: Add text
Old 04-06-2013, 23:54
Forum Moderator

I thought there might be interest in seeing this fine picture of Magnificent taken in Genova during 1950.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HMCS MAGNIFICENT-1950-GENOVA.jpg (559.1 KB, 48 views)

HMS BADSWORTH [HUNT CLASS DESTROYER]
Old 05-06-2013, 03:48
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by astraltrader View Post
I thought there might be interest in seeing this fine picture of Magnificent taken in Genova during 1950.
A lovely shot Terry - thanks for posting it.
Old 05-06-2013, 09:45
Petty Officer

Tim - sorry for the delay in answering regarding the "smoke astern of Bonnie". If memory serves me correctly that was the Russian catching up - probably trying to impress us with her speed.

Cheers Dave
Old 05-06-2013, 18:30
Admiral

Quote:
Tim - sorry for the delay in answering regarding the "smoke astern of Bonnie". If memory serves me correctly that was the Russian catching up - probably trying to impress us with her speed.

Cheers Dave
Thanks Dave ... guess her engine/boiler room lads must have been asleep at the switch when the CO rang down for "Full speed ahead!"

Again - thanks for the great photos.
Old 06-06-2013, 11:19
Petty Officer

Tim anything was possible - it was our last major trip before the big axe fell. We had no aircraft or air-types on board for the trip. Trip lasted from Mar 25, 1970 till Apr 25, 1970. First two attached photos are of Narvik harbour, third is the Riga 749 giving us a closer look, and the fourth is the Italian "Leo Polaris" passing about 400 yds to port.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mountains behind Narvik.jpg (336.0 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg Narvik off the bow..jpg (267.6 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg Riga 749 steaming past Bonnie.JPG (29.6 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg Flight deck full of trucks 1970.jpg (118.6 KB, 18 views)
Old 06-06-2013, 17:20
Admiral

Quote:
Tim anything was possible - it was our last major trip before the big axe fell. We had no aircraft or air-types on board for the trip. Trip lasted from Mar 25, 1970 till Apr 25, 1970. First two attached photos are of Narvik harbour, third is the Riga 749 giving us a closer look, and the fourth is the Italian "Leo Polaris" passing about 400 yds to port.
Thanks for these Dave - a lot of fond memories for you I would guess.
Old 07-06-2013, 09:58
Petty Officer

Fond memories indeed Tim. The trip we made to Narvik was supposed to made by HMCS Preserver, however, she had problems and "Bonnie" was the next best thing. My oldest brother was a Lt. Cdr. on Preserver and did not miss the chance to rub in the fact that we made the trip not them; my other brother was CPO (air type) and did not make the trip either. Made for interesting yet "polite" conversations when Bonnie returned to Halifax.

Dave
Old 07-06-2013, 20:15
Sub-Lieutenant

Here's a good back grounder to the operations of Canadian ASW carriers.

http://www.sevenyearproject.com/cana...naventure.html

As to replacement...well putting aside Liberal government, the cost of buying and running such a ship becomes prohibitive.

How much did the Halifax class cost when they were purchased?

Ship Search by Name : Advanced Search
Random Timeline Entry : 18th January 1940 : HMS Cossack : Capt. Philip Louis Vian, RN In Command