World Naval Ships Forums  
VIEW ALL OF OUR CURRENT SPECIAL OFFERS HERE!

Go Back   World Naval Ships Forums > Naval History > Canadian Ships and Crews
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Canadian Ships and Crews Topics relating to a specific Canadian ship or ships.

Old 25-02-2017, 12:00
Chief Petty Officer

Default Kingston Class West Africa Deployment

Its amazing where they are sending the Kingston Class now, Africa of all places. They are certainly far from their intended original concept of operations.
Old 25-02-2017, 13:51
Admiral

Default Re: Kingston Class West Africa Deployment

This class is certainly proving its value.
Brian
Old 26-02-2017, 21:42
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navy Stoker View Post
Its amazing where they are sending the Kingston Class now, Africa of all places. They are certainly far from their intended original concept of operations.
Hi Navy Stoker:

Very interesting.

Just curious - what is your source for this?

Last edited by Scatari : 26-02-2017 at 22:02.
Old 28-02-2017, 20:45
Chief Petty Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scatari View Post
Hi Navy Stoker:

Very interesting.

Just curious - what is your source for this?
I just worked up Moncton to go there so I guess me. Two ships deployed HMCS Summerside and HMCS Moncton.
Old 28-02-2017, 20:53
Admiral

Quote:
I just worked up Moncton to go there so I guess me. Two ships deployed HMCS Summerside and HMCS Moncton.
Thanks for this Navy Stoker.

We are certainly getting our money's worth out of the Kingston Class.

Have another question for you, but will send it via a PM.
Old 19-04-2017, 14:23
Admiral

Sad to see that this deployment has received virtually no coverage in the Canadian media:

(From the Ottawa Citizen)

Royal Canadian Navy wraps up African exercise

"The Royal Canadian Navy has finished taking part in Obangame Express 17, a training exercise coordinated by U.S. Naval Forces Africa. More than 20 organizations from various countries in West Africa as well as western naval forces took part."

Complete article here:

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/nation...-teams-trained
Old 19-04-2017, 18:55
Admiral

Tim: There has been a lot of twitter coverage but nothing much in the mainstream press. As I understand it there was a lot of boarding party type training, small boat handling exercises, and naval knowledge being passed to the local navies and coast guards. From my perspective it appears to have been a good effort on the part of the RCN.
Brian
Old 19-04-2017, 19:10
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Wentzell View Post
Tim: There has been a lot of twitter coverage but nothing much in the mainstream press. As I understand it there was a lot of boarding party type training, small boat handling exercises, and naval knowledge being passed to the local navies and coast guards. From my perspective it appears to have been a good effort on the part of the RCN.
Brian
Sorry Brian ... call me a Luddite, but I don't consider Twitter anything more than an outlet for ... sorry, was going to use a word which is unacceptable on these Forums!

Suffice it to say that in most cases, it is hardly a reliable source of information!
Old 19-04-2017, 21:45
Admiral

Tim: In this case it the RCN twitter feed. I am not saying it is exhaustive in its detail but it is indicative of what the RCN is doing.
Brian
Old 26-04-2017, 21:06
Chief Petty Officer

The RCN info machine has been working overtime publicizing the deployment. I did see some newspaper articles on the deployment and what they were doing. For the most part training West African nations on maritime security. They did well and will probably return next year.
Old 26-04-2017, 21:55
Admiral

Quote:
The RCN info machine has been working overtime publicizing the deployment. I did see some newspaper articles on the deployment and what they were doing. For the most part training West African nations on maritime security. They did well and will probably return next year.
I suspect that, quite understandably, the deployment would have received more coverage in Halifax than it would have up here in the nation's capital.

That's unfortunate, as it would seem to be a "good news" story and a pleasant change from the normal doom and gloom stories on which our national media seems to concentrate, particularly when it comes to coverage of the military.

The deployment would seem to have been a great success and another example of just how useful the MCDVs have proved to be.
Old 26-04-2017, 23:28
Admiral

Tim: The West African deployment is seen to be a good news story here in Halifax. The MCDV Class is an excellent vessel type for working with the navies and coast guards of smaller countries.
Brian
Old 26-04-2017, 23:50
Admiral

Quote:
Tim: The West African deployment is seen to be a good news story here in Halifax. The MCDV Class is an excellent vessel type for working with the navies and coast guards of smaller countries.
Brian
It certainly is a "good news" story - my original point was that it is sad that it is a news story which has received so little coverage on a national basis. Not surprising though ... as I stated before, the only military stories which the mainstream Canadian media likes to cover are those which portray the armed forces in a negative light.
Old 05-05-2017, 02:12
Admiral

An update:

(From navaltoday.com)

Canadian Navy ships return from West Africa deployment

"Two Royal Canadian Navy Kingston-class coastal defence vessels, HMCS Summerside and Moncton, returned to Halifax on May 2, following a two-month deployment to West Africa.

The deployment was part of a mission called Neptune Trident 17-01 and saw the ships work with allies and partners to build relationships and strengthen maritime security in the Gulf of Guinea.

During their deployment, HMCS Summerside and Moncton, a detachment of personnel from the Royal Canadian Navy’s Maritime Tactical Operations Group (MTOG), and a cadre of liaison and support staff also participated in Obangame Express 17, a 12-day, U.S. Naval Forces Africa-led training event that included maritime security partners from more than 20 countries in West Africa. This was the first time Canada has sent a contingent to participate in this multinational maritime security event.

The Canadian warships, which operated with an integrated crew of regular force, reserve force, and MTOG (Maritime Tactical Operations Group) personnel, also supported Global Affairs Canada objectives throughout the region with visits to Senegal, Sierra Leone, Liberia, and Côte d’Ivoire.

HMCS Summerside and Moncton collaborated with a number of non-governmental organizations to encourage the participation of girls and women in non-traditional roles, to promote a lifelong commitment to literacy and education, and to bolster community efforts of environmental stewardship.

“I have learned time and again that the best of Canada can be represented in distant waters through the young sailors of the Royal Canadian Navy,” Rear Admiral John Newton, Commander Joint Task Force Atlantic and Commander Maritime Forces Atlantic, said. “I have received nothing but positive feedback on the assistance rendered by our personnel in Western Africa. Ashore and in the communities visited, our sailors were exceptional ambassadors of Canada, reinforcing what a navy does for its nation
.”
Old 09-05-2017, 11:41
Admiral

Tim: This was an impressive deployment by two small ships that were never intended to travel to such distant waters. Yet, they were ideal and their crews were motivated to work with small navies and coast guards on matters of mutual interest.
Brian
Old 10-05-2017, 18:27
Admiral

Quote:
Tim: This was an impressive deployment by two small ships that were never intended to travel to such distant waters. Yet, they were ideal and their crews were motivated to work with small navies and coast guards on matters of mutual interest.
Brian
It certainly appears to have been a most worthwhile and successful deployment which should be repeated in the future if resources permit.

Many thanks to Navy Stoker for bringing it to our attention with his original posting back in February.

Ship Search by Name : Advanced Search
Random Timeline Entry : 10th January 1890 : HMS Icarus : Cdr. W.M. Annesley in Command