World Naval Ships Forums  
VIEW ALL OF OUR CURRENT SPECIAL OFFERS HERE!

Go Back   World Naval Ships Forums > Naval History > Italian Ships and Crews
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Italian Ships and Crews Topics relating to a specific Italian ship or ships.

Old 28-05-2012, 15:56
Vice Commodore

Default Italian Submarines in Spanish Civil War

I'm digging into some old Spanish Civil War items
concerning newsmen,and a brief line popped up that
as part of Musso's help to Franco,ie vast amounts war supplies and men, quite a few Italian submarines together with some German U-Boats, attacked shipping enroute to Republican ports with supplies.Does anyone know which subs sank what ships. ?

dsl
Old 30-05-2012, 16:33
Lieutenant

Default Re: Italian Submarines in Spanish Civil War

There would appear to have only been two
Quote:
The operational activity of the FIERAMOSCA was quite modest and marked by several breakdowns and incidents, at times with injuries to personnel,. After a long period of testing and trials, the boat was assigned to the 1st Squadron of the 1st Flotilla based in Taranto. Until 1935, its activity was quite limited. Then, the boat returned to Taranto for a period of refitting by the builder. At the end of this work, it was assigned to the 2nd Squadron in La Spezia. It later was assigned to the 2nd Submarine Group with base in Naples, when, in 1936 and 1937, the boat participated to the Spanish Civil War completing two patrols.

During the first mission, under the command of Lieutenant Commander Mario Bartalesi, the boat completed a patrol off Valencia from December 21st, 1936 to January 5th, 1937 departing Leghorn and returning to La Spezia. It would sight a dozen ships, but on the 27th was able to conduct a night attack on the surface against only one, the cruiser Mendez Nunez, with the release of three torpedoes wich failed to hit the target.

The second mission, also in the waters off Valencia, began in La Spezia on January 28th, 1937 and was interrupted soon after due to a mechanical failure. Repaired the problem, the FIERAMOSCA left again La Spezia on February 2nd, this time to patrol off Barcelona. Despite the numerous sightings, the boat did not complete any attack. Instead, it completed two night bombardments of the port of Barcelona; the first the night of February 8th, firing ten 120mm shots before the weapon jammed, and the second the following night firing in 15 minutes 35 shells, one of which seriously damaged the Spanish tanker Zorrosa. It reentered base on February 16th.
Later on, it completed a cruise to Tunis and in 1939 to Barcelona.

Quote:
During the Spanish Civil War, from August 27th to September 4th, 1937, the RUBINO under the command of Lieutenant Paolo Comel completed a patrol in the waters off Tunisia near Galite, but without any result
Old 30-05-2012, 18:27
Banned

Operation Ursula (named after the daughter of Karl Dönitz) saw a group of German U-boats active around Spain, under the overall command of Hermann Boehm (Konteradmiral since 1934, and Vizeadmiral since April 1st 1937) in Berlin. It began on 20 November 1936, with the movement of the U-33 and U-34 from Wilhelmshaven. Any identification marks were obscured, and the whole mission was kept secret.They entered the Mediterranean on the night of 27–28 November, taking over from Italian submarine patrols. If damaged, they were to sail to La Maddelena, and enter under an Italian ensign. U-33 operated around Alicante, and U-34 around Cartagena.
Difficulties in identifying legitimate targets and concerns about discovery limited their operations. The torpedoes they used also often malfunctioned. During their return to Wilhelmshaven in December, the Republican submarine C-3 was sunk; the Germans claimed this was due to a torpedo fired from U-34, although the Republican's enquiry claimed its loss was due to an internal explosion. Their return marked the official end of Operation Ursula.However, it does seem that further submarines were sent in mid-1937, but details of the operation are not known; six (U-25, U-26, U-27, U-28, U-31 and U-35) are believed to have been involved. Five submarine commanders received the Spanish Cross in Bronze without Swords in 1939.

At the time of the Italian intervention in the Spanish Civil War, the Regia Marina sent naval units in support of the Italian Corps of Volunteer Troops (Corpo Truppe Volontarie).Approximately 58 Italian submarines took part in operations against Republican naval forces of Spain. These submarines were organized in a Submarine Legion and complemented German U-boat operations as part of Operation Ursula.At least two Re ublican freighters, one Soviet and another Panamanian were either sunk or forced to run aground by Italian destroyers near the Strait of Sicily. Two light cruisers took part in the shelling of Barcelona and Valencia in 1937, resulting in the deaths of more than 30 civilians.

jainso31
Old 30-05-2012, 21:45
Lieutenant

So I was only out by 56!
Old 01-06-2012, 03:28
Admiral

The one thing that really annoys me about this site is the habit of many posters to post blocks of text quoted from somewhere, but without any statement as to where the text came from.

Certain posters have made post after post (in the same thread) in this manner... and rarely provide the source... even when asked.

This is frustrating, and at least in my case leads me to not bother to read the text, as I can't tell whether it is a quote from a book... or a compilation by the poster of various things read and/or remembered, mixed with opinion.
Old 01-06-2012, 21:15
Lieutenant

Apologies BB, I do normally post a link, but didn't in this case. Just to highlight your argument, I can't remember where I found that.
Old 01-06-2012, 22:16
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBat242 View Post
The one thing that really annoys me about this site is the habit of many posters to post blocks of text quoted from somewhere, but without any statement as to where the text came from.

Certain posters have made post after post (in the same thread) in this manner... and rarely provide the source... even when asked.

This is frustrating, and at least in my case leads me to not bother to read the text, as I can't tell whether it is a quote from a book... or a compilation by the poster of various things read and/or remembered, mixed with opinion.

Indeed so and IMO the practice is tantamount to plagerism.

Little h

GFXU - HMS Falmouth in Falmouth Bay
Old 02-06-2012, 00:46
Vice Commodore

Just finished reading "The Battle for Spain" [Penguin Books, 2006] by Antony Beevor today. Not a lot on the war at sea but some. The Italians, much like the Germans, established 'Legionary' forces and mounted a reasonable blockade. They did have a large number of subs active, along with bombers and the two sank over 200,000 tons of shipping in July '37 alone [sorry, no breakdown listed as to who did whom]. The tote included 8 British and 18 neutral merchantmen. The Italian sub Iride fired torpedoes at HMS Havock on 31 July 37 but missed. Recommend the book which is available in paperback.
Bill
Old 06-06-2012, 17:16
Lieutenant-Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prom View Post
There would appear to have only been two
As far as I'm aware, although there were quiet a few Italian Submarines deployed during the Spanish Civil War, only two actually sunk foreign merchant ships

On 1 Sep 1937 Woodford, British Flag, 6,987 tons was torpedoed by Italian sub Diaspro off Columbretes islands

On 3 Sep 1937 Blagoev, Russian Flag, 3,100 tons was torpedoed by Italian sub Settembrini off Skyros

Michael
Old 07-01-2016, 06:55
Leading Seaman

Hello, though the topic is old, I am new. If there is interest even I can provide enough information
Old 07-01-2016, 18:10
Leading Seaman

The operations and his results are:

- A total of 58 submarines.
- 100 patrols
- A cruise (Cervantes) and a destroyer (Churruca) damaged
- Sunked and damaged 11 Merchant ships

Regards
Old 11-01-2016, 19:28
Leading Seaman

Action against the destroyer Churruca.

Submarine Jalea, on August 11, 1937. Lieutenant commander Silvio Garino.

Spanish official acting of commander under cover in case of incident, Lieutenant Commander Gonzalo Diaz.

Destroyer Churruca. Lieutenant Commander Manuel Núñez Rodríguez. It received the impact of a torpedo, which him caused hurts in the boilers (nº2 and nº3), with four dead men and eight injured men.

The destroyer, leave Cartagena in company of the destroyer Almirante Antequera, to give protection to the "Campillo" oil tanker from Alicante to Cartagena (Order of Operations n º 137 of the Chief of the Fleet).

It was helped, for the "Rafael Arcangel" bou (patrol boat), trumping two times in the tow. Ultimately it was towed to Cartagena by the tugboat Gaditano

Ship Search by Name : Advanced Search
Random Timeline Entry : 1st January 1947 : HMS Bermuda : Arrived Kure