World Naval Ships Forums  
VIEW ALL OF OUR CURRENT SPECIAL OFFERS HERE!

Go Back   World Naval Ships Forums > Naval History > Italian Ships and Crews
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Italian Ships and Crews Topics relating to a specific Italian ship or ships.

Old 07-05-2013, 09:55
Ordinary Seaman

Default Italian Camouflage

Hi,

I have been trying to buy a copy of the following book, but am having great difficulty finding it:

LA MIMETIZZAZIONE DELLE NAVI ITALIANE 1940-1943 / ITALIAN NAVY CAMOUFLAGE 1940-1943
Author: Bagnasco, E. and M. Brescia

Does anyone know where I might get it?

Many thanks
Old 07-05-2013, 12:20
Captain

Default Re: Italian Camouflage

Good luck!

I purchased a copy when it first appeared in 2006, foolishly sold it later when I relocated , and have not been able to find another copy to date! It is quite possibly one of the scarcest naval-related books on the planet, even failing to register on most Internet book search engines.

Mr. Bagnasco would do well to authorise a second printing, IMHO.
Old 07-05-2013, 14:02
Vice Commodore

For details of Italian Battleship camo, try Bagnasco & Grossman's book "Regia Marina - Italian Battleships of World War Two". It has all their various patterns in it.

Steve
Old 11-05-2013, 07:17
Ordinary Seaman

By all accounts it is a classic book. What did you think of it. I may try to see a copy through inter-library loan

Many thanks

Jimmy
Old 18-11-2013, 14:36
Ordinary Seaman

Hi to all,

I am one of the two co-authors of the book LA MIMETIZZAZIONE DELLE NAVI ITALIANE 1940-1945.

Unfortunately, the book is sold out since long and - as far as I know - the publisher doesn't seem interested into a new edition.

I'm sorry for this, as I know that the book is still requested by naval enthusiasts, but the very high costs involved into a new edition of the book (it's all in color) prevent a new edition to be printed. The matter is that, being the book in Italian, its main "target" is that of Italian-speaking readers, and the Italian market was almost "saturated" by the first printing.
Old 18-11-2013, 16:27
Forum Moderator

Thanks for your reply Maurizio.

It does seem a great shame that your book cannot be published in an English language version which would appeal to a far wider number of naval historians.

HMS BADSWORTH [HUNT CLASS DESTROYER]
Old 20-11-2013, 20:04
Ordinary Seaman

Cool Re: Italian Camouflage

Quote:
Originally Posted by astraltrader View Post
Thanks for your reply Maurizio.

It does seem a great shame that your book cannot be published in an English language version which would appeal to a far wider number of naval historians.
Never say never...
Old 20-11-2013, 22:34
Captain

I was one of the US enthusiasts to receive a copy of this book, back in 2006 (IIRC?), from Tuttostoria Book Sellers in Italy. As with many foreign-language books, it was not at all difficult to decipher; in my opinion, people don't realize how much of today's English derives from Latin and German, and some of the more rare warship books that are simply superb from cover to cover, are among those I have had in my library.

Foolishly, I let my copy go later and if I had known how difficult it would be to replace, I'd certainly have kept it! I do hope Mr. Brescia's book is reprinted--in English or otherwise--I will be right there, cash in hand!

Raven & Roberts' British Battleships of World War Two, for example, was published in German a few years back, quite reasonably priced, and there are still some available in new condition (it takes a bit of hunting though).

These volumes are largely self-explanatory and their data lists and drawings are universal, so language is relatively unimportant--so long as western alphabetization is used for whatever "native tongue" in which it's printed.

I would very much welcome even an Italian-language second printing of La Mimetizzazione!

Thanks for posting, Maurizio!

Dan
Old 21-11-2013, 07:34
Ordinary Seaman

Well, I'm really pleased to see that after so many years many people are still interested into the book about Italian naval camouflage in WW II.
Now, after the publication of Mussolini's Navy late in 2012, I'm currently involved into another project with Seaforth Publishing: I think that - once this new major work is finished - I could check if some British and/or U.S. publisher is interested into producing an English-language version of La mimetizzazione delle navi italiane 1940-1945.

I'll keep you informed...
Old 21-11-2013, 15:34
Admiral

BTW....Mussolini's Navy is very good! Learned numerous things about the ships and many, many pics I'd never seen before...definately recommended.

The camo book, in English would be a nice addition........DFO
Old 22-08-2015, 08:13
Sub-Lieutenant

Yes I did enjoy Mussolini' s Navy it was a very interesting book about a Navy where books are relatively thin on the ground.
Old 28-08-2015, 09:23
Recruit

Hi

I am writing a Duel series book for Osprey about Italian torpedo boats and British submarines. One of the colour artwork plates will show the torpedo boat Circe and the T class submarine Tempest in February 1942. I would be interested to know whether there are any references in the mimetizzazione book as to what camouflage Circe had during this encounter. I have seen a photo of Circe in Rauber's USMM vol 22, but I am not sure if this image is dated in the book (which was a library copy and is now returned). Also there is an image in Mussolini's Navy showing Circe, with camouflage paint applied, in September 1942.

Grateful for any assistance.

David

Ship Search by Name : Advanced Search
Random Timeline Entry : 4th January 1946 : HMS Lowestoft : Sold to Merchant Navy