World Naval Ships Forums  
VIEW ALL OF OUR CURRENT SPECIAL OFFERS HERE!

Go Back   World Naval Ships Forums > Naval History > Italian Ships and Crews
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Italian Ships and Crews Topics relating to a specific Italian ship or ships.

Old 13-10-2012, 02:09
Ordinary Seaman

Default Seeking advice regarding the Sansego 1943-1944

Hi, I was unsure which forum to go to so I hope I'm in the right one and apologise if I'm not. I find it confusing to find info about Trieste as it must have changed hands often between it's different border nations.

I have an older friend who has asked me to see what I can find out about his fathers ship called the Sansego, which he says was sunk in 1944. All he has given me was the name of the ship, the fact that his father was the ships captain (Silvio Viskovic) and my prior knowledge that my friend comes from Trieste in Italy.

I've done a thorough search of the internet and all I found was that the Sansego started it's life as a ship named Croatia in 1891 and had several incarnations before being scrapped in 1964. It was raised after the war, which my friend didn't know, but I can find no real info of it's incarnation as the Sansego other than the following:

Quote:
  • April 1941 seized at Split by the Italian occupation forces. Renamed Sansego, the Italian name for the isle of Susak (no š in this name!).
  • 8 September 1943, after the capitulation of Italy, seized at Zara (present-day Zadar) by German forces.
  • June 1944 sunk during an Allied air raid on Lussinpiccolo (present-day Mali Lošinj, which was Italian since 1920).
  • 27.05.1944-Scuttled by English cannon boats MGB 645 & MTB667 at Lussinpiccolo.
Now this is a plethora of info compared to what my friend has given me but there is a slight communications barrier there to begin with.

I'm interested in trying to find out about when it was the Sansego and seized by the Germans up until it sank, including what happened to my friends father (the ships captain) and it's crew.

I've asked over at another naval forum but really have struck a blank so far with regards to surfacing any info about the period 1943-1944.

Thanks for your time ...
Old 13-10-2012, 04:00
Admiral

Default Re: Seeking advice regarding the Sansego 1943-1944

Croatia being part of the nation of Yugoslavia (formed at the end of WW1), and Split being a major port in Yugoslavia, and with the island of Lošinj* having been given to Yugoslavia in 1947, looking under Yugoslavian registries and histories might be the best way to go.

The records of casualties and medical treatment of the crew (if any) are likely held by the local authorities on the island. I doubt any records survive from whatever German authorities were in charge of the ship after its seizure in Sept. 1943.

Of course, you have probably been doing that already, right?

* Mali Lošinj (Italian: Lussinpiccolo, Venetian: Lusinpiccolo) is a town and municipality in the Primorje-Gorski Kotar County, on the island of Lošinj, in western Croatia.
Old 13-10-2012, 04:18
Ordinary Seaman

Default Re: Seeking advice regarding the Sansego 1943-1944

Hello BlackBat242 and thanks for your post!

You know the language/distance barrier between my old friend and I is difficult and I don't even know if his father died then ...

My friend is 80 and doesn't use computers so he just was curious to see how far I'd get in my research I guess ... he lives in Sydney Aust.

So to be totally frank and realistic, as far as finding online records of German casualties from the sinking of the Sansego in 1944 goes, I think it's just going to be down to a language barrier, and possibly just too hard for an amateur researcher like me, thanks anyway.

I have an uncle who died in WWII when his Merchant Navy ship SS Surrey was torpedoed and I could read all about the fate of my uncle, online because the U-Boat captain had logged all British ships they had sunk! This on the other hand seems more obscure I feel.

Last edited by Marty : 13-10-2012 at 04:29.
Old 25-04-2015, 12:10
Admiral

Exclamation Re: Seeking advice regarding the Sansego 1943-1944

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty View Post
Hi, I was unsure which forum to go to so I hope I'm in the right one and apologise if I'm not. I find it confusing to find info about Trieste as it must have changed hands often between it's different border nations.

I have an older friend who has asked me to see what I can find out about his fathers ship called the Sansego, which he says was sunk in 1944. All he has given me was the name of the ship, the fact that his father was the ships captain (Silvio Viskovic) and my prior knowledge that my friend comes from Trieste in Italy.

I've done a thorough search of the internet and all I found was that the Sansego started it's life as a ship named Croatia in 1891 and had several incarnations before being scrapped in 1964. It was raised after the war, which my friend didn't know, but I can find no real info of it's incarnation as the Sansego other than the following:

Now this is a plethora of info compared to what my friend has given me but there is a slight communications barrier there to begin with.

I'm interested in trying to find out about when it was the Sansego and seized by the Germans up until it sank, including what happened to my friends father (the ships captain) and it's crew.

I've asked over at another naval forum but really have struck a blank so far with regards to surfacing any info about the period 1943-1944.

Thanks for your time ...
Some informtion about MTB 667 and a photo of her attached.
Source Brightlingsea R.N.A.
I understand that all ship's logs are kept at the National Archive but may be wrong.
You will find the C.O. LT. CDR. JERRAM L isted here - well decorated!
I think he went to Sherborne School - http://oldshirburnian.org.uk/
One thing leads to another - you never know!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MTB 667.jpg (113.1 KB, 8 views)

Last edited by Pelican : 25-04-2015 at 12:30. Reason: Addition

Ship Search by Name : Advanced Search
Random Timeline Entry : 23rd January 1863 : HMS Achilles : Launched (Floated)