World Naval Ships Forums  
VIEW ALL OF OUR CURRENT SPECIAL OFFERS HERE!

Go Back   World Naval Ships Forums > Everything Else > Everything Else
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Everything Else Serious non naval and non maritime subjects - 'Shore Leave' is for chat.

Old 28-09-2014, 22:46
Admiral

Default Re: Terry`s Propeller Bombers

She's home!

(From CBC News)

'In true Canadian style': Hamilton's Lancaster bomber comes home

"Her entrance was unmistakable.

Hamilton's Lancaster bomber VeRA swooped from behind the Canadian Warplane Heritage Museum right at noon Sunday to signal she was home. Hundreds of people gathered for the plane's homecoming whooped and cheered, eager for the 1940s-era bomber to be home after a seven-week trip to the U.K
."

Complete article here:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamilt...home-1.2780454

Bravo Zulu to all concerned for what appears to have been a most succesful mission.
Old 28-09-2014, 22:56
Vice Commodore

So pleased to see her home again, many thanks to so many.

The picture below arrived by email a few days ago, I wish I could remeber who sent it to me. I've already passed it on to several friends but think it has a place here, now the trip is over.

Lest we forget,

Mike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Lest we forget.jpg (142.0 KB, 43 views)
Old 28-09-2014, 23:16
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannet driver View Post

The picture below arrived by email a few days ago, I wish I could remember who sent it to me. I've already passed it on to several friends but think it has a place here, now the trip is over.

Lest we forget,

Mike
Brilliant Mike!
Old 29-09-2014, 09:31
Rear-Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannet driver View Post
So pleased to see her home again, many thanks to so many.

The picture below arrived by email a few days ago, I wish I could remeber who sent it to me. I've already passed it on to several friends but think it has a place here, now the trip is over.

Lest we forget,

Mike
Wow! That's a very clever bit of trick editing, but nonetheless a very emotional shot. An old friend of mine flew in Lancs, I wish he were still alive to see these pictures.
Steve
Old 02-12-2014, 12:05
Captain

Hi,

We've got a great set of photos of these warplanes throughout the thread; however, I thought that I would post some photos of the result of three aircraft which are going through preservation/recovery at RAF Cosford.

I was at the Large Model Associations AGM at Cosford where it was mentioned that there would be a hangar visit for those who were interested. So, being myself I put my name down.

Duly arriving at the appointed time, there was a gaggle of modelmakers, and we were taken around the Preservation Hangar. I had no idea what was in store, but it was very interesting. our guide was the Manager of the Preservation/Conservation for the RAF at Cosford. We were shown (1) a recovered Dornier 17 (Do17), recovered from the Goodwin Sands. (2) A Wellington Mk X, which is being restored (the wings are in the Paint Shop) (3) a Hampden light bomber, being restored. There were stories behind them all, unfortunately, it was an issue taking in all the stories and taking the photographs.

In particular, the Hampden was of great interest, as it was flown over to Russia at the time of the PQ17 convoy, being shot down over Petsamo. Surviving Hampdens were handed over to the Soviet Airforce.

I hope these photos are of interest for all.

Regards,

Hugh Williams
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Do17_BodyAssemblyAndMotor (1024x768) (1024x768).jpg (262.8 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg Do17_PortSideAndTailAssembly_Cosford_23112014 (1024x768) (1024x768).jpg (232.2 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg Do17_StbdSide_Cosford_23112014 (1024x768) (1024x768).jpg (232.7 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg Do17_ViewAlongFromNose_Cosford_23112014 (1024x768).jpg (225.9 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg HampdenTailAssembly_WithRestorationManager_Cosford23112014 (1024x768).jpg (260.9 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg HampdenTailBoom_Cosford23112014 (1024x768).jpg (238.1 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg HampdenViewForward1_Cosford23112014 (1024x768).jpg (257.0 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg HampdenViewForward2_Cosford23112014 (1024x768).jpg (252.9 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg WellingtonIX_Cockpit~_Cosford23112014 (1024x768).jpg (267.1 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg WellingtonIX_FuselageInterior_FEorNavigatorsPosn_23112014 (1024x768).jpg (307.9 KB, 15 views)
Old 02-12-2014, 17:00
Vice-Admiral

Hello Hugh, in your photo #8 "Hampden View Forward 2", the R1155 radio receiver is shown sitting vertically on its end. Do you know if this was its normal installed position, or has it just been put there temporarily? The T1154 transmitter is the right way up.

"To be ignorant of what occurred before you were born is to remain always a child. For what is the worth of human life unless it is woven into the life of our ancestors by the records of history?" - Cicero.
Old 18-12-2014, 17:07
Admiral

Wrapping up the historic deployment of the Lancaster to the UK this past summer:

(From CBC News)

Hamilton's Lancaster bomber's borrowed engine returns to U.K.

"Hamilton's Lancaster bomber Vera returned from its wildly successful cross-Atlantic tour three months ago with something borrowed. This week, it would be graciously returned it to its rightful owner.

A C-130 Hercules from the Royal Air Force U.K. arrived at the Canadian Warplane Heritage Museum Wednesday afternoon to pick up a Merlin engine it lent to Vera in the summer so the Canadian plane could fly home
."

Complete article here:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamilt...-u-k-1.2876758
Old 20-12-2014, 11:20
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by emason View Post
Hello Hugh, in your photo #8 "Hampden View Forward 2", the R1155 radio receiver is shown sitting vertically on its end. Do you know if this was its normal installed position, or has it just been put there temporarily? The T1154 transmitter is the right way up.
Hi Bill,

Apologies for getting back rather tardily, unfortunately I'm unable to answer that, though I would go with the thought that it is stored in that position on a temporary business.

Hugh
Old 22-03-2015, 03:13
Admiral

Another Canadian Lancaster to be restored (though not, I expect, to flying condition):

(From CBC News)

Lancaster bomber being transferred from Edmundston to Edmonton

"A Second World War aircraft that has been a landmark near the Trans-Canada Highway between Edmundston and Quebec for more than 50 years is being moved out west."

Complete article here:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-br...nton-1.2999725
Old 30-03-2015, 09:36
Captain

Default Re: Terry`s Propeller Bombers -

Binbrook Memorial - 625 Squadron.

Whilst driving around 'Bomber County', we came across this memorial, so as a salute to the guys and gals who flew and maintained the aircraft of Bomber Command, and not forgetting Coastal Command, I attach a photo of the memorial at Binbrook.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 625 Sqdn Memorial Binbrook Lincs Close Up View_rsz1.jpg (602.2 KB, 28 views)
Old 20-07-2015, 14:16
Leading Seaman

DH 98 Mosquito Update.

Have just seen more Mosquito restoration photos and it appears there are currently 3 Mossies being rebuilt to flight at Auckland. One for the FHC in the USA, one is a joint venture between Avspecs and Glyn Powell (who jointly rebuilt KA114 for the MAM in Virginia Beach and now has about 60 flying hours on it), and one is Glyn Powell's own Mosquito restoration that is 95% complete, but also for sale. These machines are all new construction.
The chances of at least two Mosquitos flying together in NZ is getting better all the time if they can get the completion dates to coincide with one of our regular Warbirds Airshows. Something to definitely look forward to!
Skilly
Old 28-07-2015, 01:36
Admiral

Must have been quite a sight! Love the pilot's description of what it is like to fly this beast ... "flying in a garbage truck without power steering.'

(From CBC News)

World War II bomber on display in Penticton, B.C.

"A piece of Second World War history touched down in British Columbia's Okanagan region on Monday. One of the last remaining B-17 bombers flew into Penticton and will be on display for a week."

Complete article here:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/britis...-b-c-1.3170304
Old 06-08-2015, 20:42
Admiral

This could be interesting to see:

(From CBC News)

Documentary on Lancaster bombers premieres Remembrance Day

"A film documenting the historic reunion of the world's two remaining airworthy Lancaster bombers will screen for the first time on Remembrance Day, when it will be shown for free in select theatres across Canada."

Complete article here:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamilt...-day-1.3181530
Old 06-08-2015, 22:26
Vice Commodore

Tim ,very many thanks, am circulating it widely!

Mike
Old 20-02-2016, 06:15
Forum Moderator.

Not often a photograph you run across gets a jump out of you, but this picture certainly did. Photograph of an RB-50B over Leeds, 25 May 1953. This was during the deployment of the 15th Air Force's 43rd Bomb Wing to Lakenheath during the early Cold War while things were hot in the Far East. When I first saw it, sans any captioning, I said that it reminded me of a story my Dad told me of deploying to England in the "good old days" and buzzing various airfields to give everybody (he said "them Limeys" -- ) a good look at the new bomber, a very upgraded B-29. The RB-50B was part of this deployment along with, apparently, "silverplated" B-50s set up for the nuclear bombardment role. The RB-50 became an intelligence collector by virtue of a simple conversion of adding a pressurized compartment in the second bomb bay containing all the cameras and ELINT equipment and most of the operating crew and putting an extra detachable fuel tank in the forward bomb bay if needed. The B-50 could easily handle this weight and even more importantly, with the much more powerful engines it could keep its full armament, which must have been somewhat soothing for those "approaching" Soviet airspace. Even better, dropping the recon equipment from the bomb bay made them instantly back into fully equipped bombers. The nuclear bomb of the day then was the MK 5, a very upgraded and much lighter version of the "Fat Man" bomb that only weighed 3175 lbs but had a maximum yield of 120 Kilotons. The B-50 carried two of them.

After humping around the net, I am fairly convinced that my father is flying this aircraft, but I can't be 100 percent sure, because I can't find an original citation of who took this photo. The aircraft's name was "Thunderbird" and that seems appropriate considering where my dad spent most of his flying time in the early days. In any case, it made a nice little display in my office and confirmed a lot of what I thought my dad was up to in those days -- he never quite got around to saying he was in strategic recon after the war, although he could gas for days about flying in general.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RB-50B.THUNDERBIRD.43RD BW.LEEDS.5.25.53.jpg (291.5 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg RB-50B.THUNDERBIRD.5.53.LEEDS.jpg (62.8 KB, 20 views)

"For a successful technology, reality has to take precedence over public relations, because nature cannot be fooled." (Richard Feynman)
Old 20-02-2016, 13:06
Admiral

Ahhh happy memories Don , not of these ilk perhaps but spent years of work on the "HAWG WILD" B29 at Duxford cleaning her up and restoring her to her prime in the late eighties .installing turrets and refurbishing the instruments in her , Stripping and repainting her .....seems a lifetime ago now
Old 21-02-2016, 23:25
Forum Moderator.

Ivor, my man, I never knew you were hands on with an old B-29! What an experience that must have been. My dad flew B-29s late in the war and post war, but he said the B-50 was everything the B-29 should have been, but it was wartime, and you go with what you've got. He said the tall tail eliminated the cross-wind landing problems with the B-29 on flare-out and 59% more available power was a nice touch as well. He said he once had one at 440 mph, flat out and rattlin' the rivets.

I would love to find out more about that photos, stated as having been taken at Leeds in '53 if you know anyone that might have a clue.

"For a successful technology, reality has to take precedence over public relations, because nature cannot be fooled." (Richard Feynman)
Old 19-07-2016, 03:41
Admiral

Default Special, just for Ivor

Special, just for Ivor

There is a second flying B-29 in the world!

B-29A "Doc" has gone from the storage range at Naval Weapons Center China Lake, California to the skies over McConnell Air Force Base in Kansas.

60 years on the ground was long enough.

Today, 18 July 2016:

Doc flies - Aviation Week photo gallery

http://www.warbirdsnews.com/aircraft...doc-flies.html

Restored B-29 Superfortress flies for first time in 60 years - AF.mil

Quote:
Restored B-29 Superfortress flies for first time in 60 years

By Staff Sgt. Rachel Waller, 22nd Air Refueling Wing Public Affairs / Published July 18, 2016

MCCONNELL AIR FORCE BASE, Kan. (AFNS) -- After 16 years of hard work and dedication from numerous volunteers around the Wichita area, a B-29 Superfortress, also known as Doc, took to the skies July 17 here for its first flight since 1956.

“I never thought I would live to see this day, but I did,” said Connie Palacioz, who served as a riveter during World War II.

Palacioz, now 91, was 18 years old when she put the first rivets on Doc when it was being manufactured.

Prior to the flight, the aircraft sat in the Mojave Desert for decades after being decommissioned and serving as a ballistic target at a Navy weapons range. An aircraft enthusiast found the B-29 in 1987.

“They’ve done a beautiful job on Doc,” said Charles Chauncey, a WWII B-29 pilot who flew 35 combat missions. “This is a great day for Wichita and I’m so pleased to have the crew here to fly it.”

Although this is the first time a B-29 has flown out of McConnell Air Force Base, the 22nd Air Refueling Wing can trace its heritage back to the 22nd Bombardment Group, which flew the aircraft during the Korean War.

“Thank you so much to McConnell Air Force Base,” said Jim Murphy, the project manager for Doc’s Friends, a nonprofit that helped restore the B-29. “The Air Force guys came over and helped us lace in the fuel cells. They’ve helped polish the airplane and they have helped and been assistance to us every step of the way.”
Apparently Connie did her job correctly, because of the thousands of rivets in the forward fuselage section where Connie worked, only 7 needed to be replaced!
Old 19-07-2016, 06:08
Admiral

Blimey that brings back a host of memories , and the many hundreds of hours spent working on our "Hawg Wild " at Duxford .

Still in fairness you went one better Jon ......yours is still flying !

Thanks for posting that very grateful to you
Old 11-08-2016, 10:39
Leading Seaman

The next brand new DH98 Mosquito is getting close to flying at Ardmore, Auckland, New Zealand. This aircraft has been built using all the metal bits from TV959, including engines, undercarriage, etc, and all the new woodwork (wings, fuselage, tail feathers, etc) by Glyn Powell of Auckland.

The aircraft is for Paul Allen's Flying Heritage Collection in the USA.

Click on link below for a short movie clip with the MD of Avspecs, Warren Denholm, as he explains the program.

AVSPECS are also going to build the Mossie for the UK 'People's Mosquito' project.

Skilly

http://www.facebook.com/search/top/?q=avspecs
Old 13-08-2016, 08:57
Leading Seaman

Making progress on the Mossie - the propellers were fitted today.

Skilly
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Props being fitted_13.08.2016.jpg (342.0 KB, 16 views)
Old 18-09-2016, 12:31
Leading Seaman

The new Mossie, painted up in the colours of a post-war RNZAF 75 Squadron Mosquito, and now just waiting for test pilot's schedule and a bit of fine weather before getting airborne for the first time.

Skilly
Old 19-09-2016, 09:34
Admiral

Well you have certainly done a good job on her , she looks well loved
Old 20-09-2016, 07:33
Leading Seaman

All credit is to AVSPECS of Ardmore Aerodrome, Auckland, and especially to Glyn Powell, the now-80 year-old timber wizard who, nearly 3 decades ago, decided to build himself a Mosquito. but first he had to build the moulds, which took him 15 years or so. Then he could make new fuselages & wings for Mosquitos. This gentleman is still very active in his workshop, and, at the present time, there are still at least 3 more mosquitos to come off those moulds.

Glyn's efforts allowed the rest of the restoration procedures to progress to flight. A great achievement.

Skilly
Old 20-09-2016, 20:29
Admiral

Indeed they are Skilly .....I recalls many years ago whilst at Duxford watching engineers forming a wing coupling out of a solid lump of alli on the Duxford collection Mossy [ never intended to fly at that point ] so even more credit to you skilled lads

Ship Search by Name : Advanced Search
Random Timeline Entry : 28th January 1949 : HMS Duke of York : Flagship of Admiral Sir Rhoderick McGrigor